NBA 2023-24

shadow_operative

Interesting partnership starting here. The Adelson family is very involved in Vegas businesses, I would have thought they would be bidding for the expansion team that will inevitably go there, but maybe this is just a precursor to get them into the NBA Ownership circle before that happens.  Cuban makes some big money off this, it's estimated to be about a 2 billion investment by the Adelsons. 

Edited by Dutchrudder

Like many I have no idea how the IST works. So we were given an 80 game schedule with 2 games set aside for IST quarter/semi final games slated to count towards your regular season record.

Wolves failed to make the cut, and instead of playing Sacramento, NoLa, Phoenix or LA…we’re punished by having to play Memphis and San Antonio instead? Uhh…. Ok

26 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Like many I have no idea how the IST works. So we were given an 80 game schedule with 2 games set aside for IST quarter/semi final games slated to count towards your regular season record.

Wolves failed to make the cut, and instead of playing Sacramento, NoLa, Phoenix or LA…we’re punished by having to play Memphis and San Antonio instead? Uhh…. Ok

I had to look it up to understand, but now it makes sense. 6 division winners and 2 wild cards make up the bracket. The main tie breaker is Point Differential in the 4 tournament games played, which is why several 3-1 teams were left out. The Knicks blew out the Hornets last night by 24 points, which is why they jumped the Cavs, Magic and Nets in the East. 

The Kings needed to win last night to ensure they make the tournament with a 3-1 record and avoid tiebreakers in the division. They were able to pull out a win and get a clean 4-0 record, knock out the Warriors, and get to host game 1. The Suns and Twolves went to tiebreakers, and the Suns had a +34 vs Twolves +/- 0.  Really dumb to go with that tiebreaker when the teams they played were completely different levels. The Suns got to play the LAL, UTAH, POR and MEM vs the Twolves played SAS, OKC,GSW and SAC.  Luck of the draw, but they probably need to expand the brackets to allow more 3-1 teams next year. Clearly some of these divisions are not nearly equal competition.  

This is a breakdown of the Wild Card standings:  https://www.nba.com/in-season-tournament/2023/standings?root=in-season-tournament&root=2023&root=standings&Section=wildcard

Knockout-Bracket-16x9-Safezone-1-784x441.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Message Board User said:

i’ve watched a lot of okc this year with a special interest in chet because he’s on my shaggy fantasy team, and i strongly believe that if/when Chet finds that next competitive gear that he’s going to enter the mvp conversation. there’s no guarantee that he ever even finds that next level, but man, when you see how- not timid, but maybe deferential that he plays, it becomes obvious that he sort of feels like a freshman who’s getting his first minutes in varsity.

and that would make sense when you look at his tim at gonzaga. the first half of the season he was underwhelming and considered a bust by some. from january 1st forward he was probably the best player in all of college basketball. i really think the sky is the limit for chet if he can stay healthy. once he gets comfortable in the league- watch out.

Edited by shadow_operative

He’s good..but he’s going to get absolutely obliterated by joker, embiid, Rudy. I’m not sure if his body will add beef or not.kinda like Durant who’ll be naturally skinny. OKC needs a 6-11 bruiser so chet can guard smaller and not so big of guys. Rudy had a dunk last night where he backed Chet down and just overpowered him. I’ve never seen Rudy keep a dribble with his back to the basket turn around and just dunk over someone taller than he is

OKCs getting out rebounded by about 15 rebounds per game in their losses. All losses are to Joker, Jonas V/Zion, Rudy/Kat, Embiid and Sabonis. 6’5 Jaylin Williams and Giddey aren’t going to help

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

He’s good..but he’s going to get absolutely obliterated by joker, embiid, Rudy. I’m not sure if his body will add beef or not.kinda like Durant who’ll be naturally skinny. OKC needs a 6-11 bruiser so chet can guard smaller and not so big of guys. Rudy had a dunk last night where he backed Chet down and just overpowered him. I’ve never seen Rudy keep a dribble with his back to the basket turn around and just dunk over someone taller than he is

OKCs getting out rebounded by about 15 rebounds per game in their losses. All losses are to Joker, Jonas V/Zion, Rudy/Kat, Embiid and Sabonis. 6’5 Jaylin Williams and Giddey aren’t going to help

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i’ve watched a lot of okc this year with a special interest in chet because he’s on my shaggy fantasy team, and i strongly believe that if/when Chet finds that next competitive gear that he’s going to enter the mvp conversation. there’s no guarantee that he ever even finds that next level, but man, when you see how- not timid, but maybe deferential that he plays, it becomes obvious that he sort of feels like a freshman who’s getting his first minutes in varsity.

and that would make sense when you look at his tim at gonzaga. the first half of the season he was underwhelming and considered a bust by some. from january 1st forward he was probably the best player in all of college basketball. i really think the sky is the limit for chet if he can stay healthy. once he gets comfortable in the league- watch out.

Agree on both of these.  Chet is more athletic than I thought he was coming out of college.  He can legit score on any other center in the league and once he figures that out (maybe this year or next), he could easily be a 22-25 ppg scorer.  Yes, those centers are a bad match up for him but he's a bad match up for them, too.  He scored 33 on Embid.  He hasn't played any basketball at all in over a year and that was in college.

But yes, they need a big body to pair with him either off the bench or in the starting lineup.  They had JW bulk up over the offseason and Giddey is an OK rebounder but they get shoved around and killed on the boards.  However, their gimmick is everyone might be thin but they can all run and shoot.

I thought that Franz Wagner could perhaps use the FIBA World Cup as a coming out party for how good he is. Then the Germans go and win the whole darn thing. Not shocked at all to see him get the Magic off to such a nice start. If he could hit the boards a little more often that’d be nice, but to be as good as he is at 22 is pretty impressive.

I thought that Franz Wagner could perhaps use the FIBA World Cup as a coming out party for how good he is. Then the Germans go and win the whole darn thing. Not shocked at all to see him get the Magic off to such a nice start. If he could hit the boards a little more often that’d be nice, but to be as good as he is at 22 is pretty impressive.
No lie. I thought Mo was going to be the star of that family.

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

.1f51172136b96dbc0503759cc9be6e01.jpg

Looks like he’s hanging out on his off days with Harden. 

So far in his young career he has not shown much in the way of leadership qualities. Tonight he announced that after a winless month they “Got their swag back” in a loss to the Knicks. I have a feeling this guy is going to be one of those players who scores a lot on a whole bunch of bad teams because somebody has to be the leading scorer even on the teams on the bottom rungs of the ladder.

9 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

I liked Shai's reaction there at the end.  Chet is a lot better than I thought he'd be.  I remember part of his scouting report out of college was that due to Timme's limitations, Chet really couldn't drive inside.  Timme could only stand in the post with his arms in the air so Chet basically had to just shoot jumpers.  With the NBA spacing, he has great handles and is a great finisher, actually.

2 hours ago, MrX said:

The Pistons have 6 centers, and Ivey wasn’t even starting (last time I checked) because he stinks. Hard to pass judgment on Cunningham at this stage with that roster around him. 

What do the Pistons do at this point?  Do they tank again this year?  Cade didn't play much at all last year due to injury/tanking so if they tank again this year, that's two years of wasting him.  This season wasn't supposed to be a tank season, either.  They were the first time in eight years to have a winless month.

Do they blow this up again and trade Cade?  They could prolly get a lot.

sunday- no games 
monday- two games 
tuesday- two games
wednesday- 11 games
thursday- two games 

seriously, wtf is up with this schedule?

I’m finding it beneficial for those teams to not make the knock out rounds. My wolves chill for the next 4 days, and get easier regular season games vs no rest, potentially travel to Vegas, play harder teams, then travel back.

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I’m finding it beneficial for those teams to not make the knock out rounds. My wolves chill for the next 4 days, and get easier regular season games vs no rest, potentially travel to Vegas, play harder teams, then travel back.

This. If the Spurs ain’t playing, they ain’t losing.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, aggie08 said:

The realization that your new favorite coach may be a predator AND he coaches the Rockets. Gross.

A really good trash talker would have put Udoka in his place there. So much material to work with. Lebron is pretty disappointing in that dept. Like who cares if hes calling you a bitch and telling you to stop bitching. Tell him to go fuck his friend's wife some more.

16 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

That makes sense, but you're losing your shot at glory. Remember, banners hang forever and my Pelicans are about to raise a "Western Conference Group B Winner" banner and should be following it up soon with an "In-Season Tournament Champ" one. This is the stuff dreams are made of. I'll be telling my grandchildren about this one day.

• Like 2

That makes sense, but you're losing your shot at glory. Remember, banners hang forever and my Pelicans are about to raise a "Western Conference Group B Winner" banner and should be following it up soon with an "In-Season Tournament Champ" one. This is the stuff dreams are made of. I'll be telling my grandchildren about this one day.

True you’re right. And plus 30 special courts that the nba spent probably millions on for like 70 total games to be played on? Probably to be used as firewood this upcoming winter?