NBA 2023-24

shadow_operative

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39548967/adam-silver-nba-reassess-g-league-ignite-wake-nil

NBA commissioner Adam Silver called into question the future of the G League Ignite, saying that the introduction of name, image and likeness into the college basketball landscape has diminished the need for the league to potentially continue the program.

"I think given that that's happened, I think we are in the process of reassessing Team Ignite," Silver said Saturday night as part of his annual All-Star Weekend news conference here at Lucas Oil Stadium. "Because now some of those same players who didn't want to be one-and-done players because they felt it was unfair and they wanted the ability not just to earn a living playing basketball but to do commercial deals that weren't available to them at college, to hire professional agents, an opportunity that wasn't available to them at college, they now -- all of those same opportunities have become available to them.

"I'm not sure what the future of Team Ignite will be, because before there was a hole in the marketplace that we thought we were filling before doing that, and now my focus is turning to earlier development of those players."

This is the fourth season that the Ignite have been in existence. It's a program that was originally created, as Silver said, to provide a path for pre-draft eligible players to be paid to play basketball before being eligible to enter the NBA due to the league's age limit for prospects.

The league touted it as a chance to give players significant money before they could be eligible to make millions by being drafted into the league, and the program landed several high-level prospects over the past few years as a result.

But the introduction of NIL has allowed for college players to make significant money while going to school and reduced the need for the NBA to create such a feeder program into the league.

And while the program has produced several high draft picks -- including Scoot Henderson (No. 3 in 2023), Dyson Daniels (No. 8 in 2022) and Jalen Green (No. 3 in 2021) -- this season has been a difficult one on the court.

The Ignite have gone 6-31 and have the league's worst offensive rating (102.6 points per 100 possessions) and net rating (-12.7 points per 100 possessions) with a roster featuring several players who are draft-eligible prospects.

One of those top draft prospects, Ron Holland, recently told Andscape's Marc Spears he will not be coming back this season after undergoing thumb surgery, allowing him to fully focus on preparing for the NBA draft.

Silver also discussed the state of the entire American youth basketball system, something he has previously cited as a concern, and said that could be an area the league moves to focus on in the future.

"If you're seeing now what we're seeing in terms of that close to 30 percent of the league, players born outside the United States, it's clear that the development is very different in many of those programs outside the United States," Silver said. "[There's] more of a focus on practice, less of a focus on games, which seems to be the opposite of many of the youth programs in the United States.

"I think that now we've begun discussions with the NCAA, the vast majority of the top players will play in college and never play in the NBA, of course, so we have a common interest in just improving the game, developing players."

"[Players are] coming into the league incredibly skilled," Silver continued. "But that doesn't necessarily translate to being team basketball players. And then what I'm hearing from some of those same coaches that may be complaining about inability to play defense is that these players are not as prepared as I'd like them to be, particularly as very high draft picks."

It figures they might scrap the concept right after poaching Holland. I would guess there are enough guys out there that don't even want to pretend to play school and just get paid, but maybe not if Silver is publicly voicing this now.  

48 minutes ago, Blotto said:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39548967/adam-silver-nba-reassess-g-league-ignite-wake-nil

It figures they might scrap the concept right after poaching Holland. I would guess there are enough guys out there that don't even want to pretend to play school and just get paid, but maybe not if Silver is publicly voicing this now.  

love the comment about playing defense.  Like anyone plays defense in the NBA anymore.

I think my favorite moment of all star Saturday was when they asked Mac Mcclung if he was going to come back to try to win a third time and he said he would have to think about it. Like, he's got to check his schedule? Or make sure that he's rested up enough for the second half of the g league session? He makes $40k in the g league. He got $100k for winning the dunk contest. Really? He's got to think about it? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I think my favorite moment of all star Saturday was when they asked Mac Mcclung if he was going to come back to try to win a third time and he said he would have to think about it. Like, he's got to check his schedule? Or make sure that he's rested up enough for the second half of the g league session? He makes $40k in the g league. He got $100k for winning the dunk contest. Really? He's got to think about it? 

That’s what I thought of as well lol.

Spose he can’t commit if they say nba players only going forward and he’s not on a team between now and then

I tuned in during the 4th, I think the East should push for 200+ points and break that record finally. They are at 179 with 7 minutes left, they can do it if they want to. 

The game lacks any sort of intensity or urgency, which is what makes actual games so interesting. I realize the players don't have to care about this, but this is pathetic. There is no drive, no competition in them to win it. I may have been a kid in the 90s watching the greats back then play, but I don't recall it being like this. I remember MJ flying in to dunk a ball off the rim after a missed free throw. I remember people actually trying to block shots or force misses. I know it has been bad for a while, but what the hell happened??  

• Hook 'Em 2

KAT is the only one worth watching in this shitshow, dude really needs to be in the dunk contest. I would vote for him for MVP just because he had the most interesting shots. 

These guys throwing up 3s like it's practice at the gym are not interesting. They should remove the 3 point line from Allstar games, it ruins the game. 

Edited by Dutchrudder
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I tuned in during the 4th, I think the East should push for 200+ points and break that record finally. They are at 179 with 7 minutes left, they can do it if they want to. 

The game lacks any sort of intensity or urgency, which is what makes actual games so interesting. I realize the players don't have to care about this, but this is pathetic. There is no drive, no competition in them to win it. I may have been a kid in the 90s watching the greats back then play, but I don't recall it being like this. I remember MJ flying in to dunk a ball off the rim after a missed free throw. I remember people actually trying to block shots or force misses. I know it has been bad for a while, but what the hell happened??  

they are all friends now.