Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

Waiver Wire Brown strikes again. I like to go check out a flea market or garage sale now and then but I still have to go to the name stores to buy good stuff because I ain’t sleepin on a used mattress. Dana loves the garage sales. Maybe he’ll find a Picasso. 

57 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

The Rays adding Caballero from Seattle probably takes away the possibility of the Pena-for-Arozarena rumor that was posted here a few weeks ago.

That rumor sounded far-fetched to me, anyway.  You’d have to have enormous balls to trade away Framber AND Peña and I’ve seen nothing from Brown that suggests he’s a risk-taker (or, maybe a less critical reading would be that I’ve seen nothing to suggest he’s empowered to take risks).  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

The Rays adding Caballero from Seattle probably takes away the possibility of the Pena-for-Arozarena rumor that was posted here a few weeks ago.

That is interesting, if they are shopping Brandon Lowe I would be interested in him being the 1B/LF lefty hitting bat this team desperately needs.

28 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

That is interesting, if they are shopping Brandon Lowe I would be interested in him being the 1B/LF lefty hitting bat this team desperately needs.

Career Postseason

AB AVG HR RBI SB OPS
113 .115 5 9 0 .424

#Astros Michael Brantley had 6,163 plate appearances during his career, he struck out looking just 210 times... 62 of which came on pitches that were out of the zone.

GDGO-eOWcAICi0F?format=jpg&name=medium

@Wulaw Hornhey I listened to your Astros Revenue and Economics podcast the other day, and I enjoyed the peek behind the curtain into their business operations. I know it's not public data, so it's hard to piece together and takes a lot of work, so it's appreciated how much time and dedication you put into it! I had a few follow up questions for you:

1. Do you have a listing of your estimates in a visual format from top to bottom?  I know you guys talked through it quite a bit, but a visual would be interesting and listing the top revenue streams in order. (This would make for a good infographic to promote your pod, if you're interested in doing that)
2. Have you thought about doing the same kind of work for any other teams, or maybe looking for someone else's homework to use as a comparison?  It would be interesting to see how wide the gap is between the 1%ers and the upper middle class. It would also be interesting to see what some small market teams have to work with too. 
3. Do you have any idea what the Astros estimated profits were for other recent years?  I know it's not published data, so it's hard to determine, but it would be nice to see how it moves year to year.
4. I think you said the loss of the RSN this past year probably cost the Astros ~20-30 million in guaranteed money this year, but do you think that will be continue? Will this new Rockets/Astros RSN be able to get back to the same level of revenue at some point, or are they just doomed to have middling TV revenue from now until the next Bally or ATT comes along to overpay again?

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

@Wulaw Hornhey I listened to your Astros Revenue and Economics podcast the other day, and I enjoyed the peek behind the curtain into their business operations. I know it's not public data, so it's hard to piece together and takes a lot of work, so it's appreciated how much time and dedication you put into it! I had a few follow up questions for you:

1. Do you have a listing of your estimates in a visual format from top to bottom?  I know you guys talked through it quite a bit, but a visual would be interesting and listing the top revenue streams in order. (This would make for a good infographic to promote your pod, if you're interested in doing that)
2. Have you thought about doing the same kind of work for any other teams, or maybe looking for someone else's homework to use as a comparison?  It would be interesting to see how wide the gap is between the 1%ers and the upper middle class. It would also be interesting to see what some small market teams have to work with too. 
3. Do you have any idea what the Astros estimated profits were for other recent years?  I know it's not published data, so it's hard to determine, but it would be nice to see how it moves year to year.
4. I think you said the loss of the RSN this past year probably cost the Astros ~20-30 million in guaranteed money this year, but do you think that will be continue? Will this new Rockets/Astros RSN be able to get back to the same level of revenue at some point, or are they just doomed to have middling TV revenue from now until the next Bally or ATT comes along to overpay again?

Thanks for the listen. Yeah- I can probably try to put that in graphic format for sure. And yeah/ it would be interesting to do maybe Yankees and padres and royals or something to compare rich, other middle class and poor for sure. 
Will answer this more fully later when I’m at work where I have my research. 
if you’ve got any other astros fans in your life that would be interested please share that one with them!  

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

New episode up. Free agents remaining deep dive. We look at the past 10 years, when guys signed, how much they signed for, and then compared it to this years market and gave some predictions for about 50 of the unsigned FA’s. Check it out- rate- review. 

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2boZd3xTlf0hIKn8VUGee5?si=j-FsRVCtQHKf-oe0qCBWxQ

• Hook 'Em 2

7 business fans specials seems like more than recent past
but surprised one is for the Braves and Red Sox but not the pirates.

I only count 6 with them backloaded in Sept. with half of them

Braves games are all at night

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

I only count 6 with them backloaded in Sept. with half of them

Braves games are all at night

Did something change already?

schedule I downloaded at 2:30 shows the game on April 17th at 1:10.

I only see two weekday day home games in sept.

we looking at the same year?