Kevin Durant Longhorn Legend

Patrick Bateman

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yeah it's fucking stupid. Stars have an insane amount of power. Next CBA might be pretty wild. That said - owners are making tons of money so it may not be a huge issue to them. 

Meh. Stars should have the power. They are the product. Just make it like soccer and be done with it.

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Meh. Stars should have the power. They are the product. Just make it like soccer and be done with it.

The EPL is the biggest soccer league in the world and it's still behind the MLB, NBA and NFL in terms of revenue. American leagues work because there are systems in place that level the playing field. Making it like soccer isn't the answer. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

The EPL is the biggest soccer league in the world and it's still behind the MLB, NBA and NFL in terms of revenue. American leagues work because there are systems in place that level the playing field. Making it like soccer isn't the answer. 

The EPL also competes against 4 identical leagues. We can complain that players don’t honor contracts but then we will just get the stars signing nothing but 1 and 1s and still hamstringing their franchises. Install some sort of buyout option and let’s be done with it.

I guess I'm turning into a stodgy old man before my own eyes, but I think it's shitty to ask out of a situation where a team has paid you > $1mm/game to this point and you've signed on for four more years. And publicly announcing you want out also submarines what that team is going to be able to recoup for you in return

1 minute ago, TommyGufano said:

I guess I'm turning into a stodgy old man before my own eyes, but I think it's shitty to ask out of a situation where a team has paid you > $1mm/game to this point and you've signed on for four more years. And publicly announcing you want out also submarines what that team is going to be able to recoup for you in return

You aren't turning into a stodgy old man (well, maybe you are - but not because of this), but Durant isn't reinventing the wheel here. This is just the nature of the NBA now and what stars do going back to the AD to the Lakers shit. 

So - you're right - but it doesn't really reflect on Durant because he's simply playing the game that's been laid in front of him. 

10 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

The EPL also competes against 4 identical leagues.

C'mon man I'm down for a discussion about this but "4 identical leagues" is a joke of a phrasing. Let's be adults here. 

I agree that the NBA CBA needs reworking. I've mentioned it multiple times here. That said I'm not sure the European soccer model is some perfect solution. There is a sanctity when it comes to American sports that I feel like we tend to gloss over without stopping to think about it. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You aren't turning into a stodgy old man (well, maybe you are - but not because of this), but Durant isn't reinventing the wheel here. This is just the nature of the NBA now and what stars do going back to the AD to the Lakers shit. 

So - you're right - but it doesn't really reflect on Durant because he's simply playing the game that's been laid in front of him. 

At least AD had the decency to wait til he had < 2 years left on his contract to pull his bullshit. KD's hasn't even played a game on his extension! It's outrageous 

Edited by TommyGufano

1 minute ago, TommyGufano said:

At least AD had the decency to wait til he had < 2 years left on his contract to pull his bullshit. KD's hasn't even played a game on his extension! It's outrageous 

Brooklyn is going to get a shit-ton back for KD. This street goes both ways. Y'all are acting like KD is just leaving them in the middle of the night to go join another team for free. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Brooklyn is going to get a shit-ton back for KD. This street goes both ways. Y'all are acting like KD is just leaving them in the middle of the night to go join another team for free. 

Well, he's no Kawhi. Let's be clear about that. KD has his flaws, but he ain't no fake-ass, malingering, franchise-destroying cancer that only speaks through his uncle.

(KD's got his burner accounts for that.)

Anyway, fuck Kawhi. Forever and always. Lying-ass POS has once again shown his true colors with LAC.**

#neverforgetnorforgive

** I might have had a few beers tonight.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Well, he's no Kawhi. Let's be clear about that. KD has his flaws, but he ain't no fake-ass, malingering, franchise-destroying cancer that only speaks through his uncle.

(KD's got his burner accounts for that.)

Anyway, fuck Kawhi. Forever and always. Lying-ass POS has once again shown his true colors with LAC.**

#neverforgetnorforgive

** I might have had a few beers tonight.

"Ooooh I've had a few beers let me apologize"

Hey - chief - I have a job interview tomorrow in less than 10 hours now and I'm probably 11 drinks deep in the past 6 hours. 

Am I proud of that? Do I like admitting that? No. But I know who I am and I know where I'm posting. 

And you may be asking yourself - "Hey - wow - that dude has a problem. Glad I'm not him. Wonder what his life is going to be like tomorrow afternoon?"

And all I can tell you is that I'll probably get the job and everyone here will move on with their lives. Including me. And I'll deal with that other shit when I can. 

You may also ask yourself what does that have to do with Kevin Durant. 

Well... I don't know. 

#GoKD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I have never understood why I'm supposed to feel bad for billionaire owners.

You’re not. Most people feel bad for the team’s fans (or themselves if they are fans of the team) when a player buttfucks the franchise with hood outs, trade demands after signing new extension (eg Handjob Watson), or if they take such a high percentage of the salary cap that the team can’t afford good enough complementary players to compete for championships (eg most NFL teams after a start QB gets their first $40M/yr extension, or Washington Wizards after giving Wall or Beal a supermax). The player gets their money, tries to dictate when and to where they are traded, and the original team ends up sucking. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

You’re not. Most people feel bad for the team’s fans (or themselves if they are fans of the team) when a player buttfucks the franchise with hood outs, trade demands after signing new extension (eg Handjob Watson), or if they take such a high percentage of the salary cap that the team can’t afford good enough complementary players to compete for championships (eg most NFL teams after a start QB gets their first $40M/yr extension, or Washington Wizards after giving Wall or Beal a supermax). The player gets their money, tries to dictate when and to where they are traded, and the original team ends up sucking. 

The owners made all of those calls. They could simply NOT offer franchise-crippling deals or trades.

It's very easy to not sign Kevin Durant or trade for him.

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

Hey - chief - I have a job interview tomorrow in less than 10 hours now and I'm probably 11 drinks deep in the past 6 hours. 

Am I proud of that? Do I like admitting that? No. But I know who I am and I know where I'm posting. 

And you may be asking yourself - "Hey - wow - that dude has a problem. Glad I'm not him. Wonder what his life is going to be like tomorrow afternoon?"

And all I can tell you is that I'll probably get the job and everyone here will move on with their lives. Including me. And I'll deal with that other shit when I can. 

Well... I don't know. 

#GoKD

How many strikeouts have you done though?

#GoKD

How is anyone here actually going to act like KD being signed by Brooklyn wasn’t great for Brooklyn (the extension)?  
let’s see- he could have not signed an extension, gone into FA and played wherever he wanted. Instead they signed him, didn’t pay him one cent of the extension (hasn’t kicked in yet) and are going to trade him for something like 2 high quality young players and picks and swaps for 7 years. 
Seriously, how was Brooklyn in any way, shape or form harmed by this?  

• Hook 'Em 3

56 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

How is anyone here actually going to act like KD being signed by Brooklyn wasn’t great for Brooklyn (the extension)?  
let’s see- he could have not signed an extension, gone into FA and played wherever he wanted. Instead they signed him, didn’t pay him one cent of the extension (hasn’t kicked in yet) and are going to trade him for something like 2 high quality young players and picks and swaps for 7 years. 

It's not so much KD, but any player who signs a multi-year deal/extension should expect to play out most of the deal.  He just signed that extension last year, which gives him quite a bump in pay vs signing as a free agent elsewhere, and now he demands a trade.  That's just shitty. If you had no intention of fulfilling that contract, why sign it?  Brooklyn is better off with KD than anything they would get in return for him. So yeah, it harms them for him wanting to leave, and there is no telling what kind of BS contracts they will have to take back to match salaries. 

I think the next CBA needs a rule that you must play at least ~50% of the years in a contract before the players can be traded. (maybe they lose the bird rights bonus money if they are traded?) It's dumb that guys can sign a big deal and then force their way out, while reaping all the benefits and zero consequences.   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Bit of a weird take here. I don't think anyone is saying Durant signing the extension is worse than him not signing. Have you seen that argument?

The harm for Brooklyn is not based on whether he signed or not. They wanted him signed, they offered him a financial agreement to pay him for 4 years of service, he agreed, and then he changed his mind. Brooklyn is going to get value but they will very likely not get as much value as Durant himself - that's just the way trades for megastars work. That's where the harm is. It's of course perfectly legal but a bit distasteful.

14 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Bit of a weird take here. I don't think anyone is saying Durant signing the extension is worse than him not signing. Have you seen that argument?

The harm for Brooklyn is not based on whether he signed or not. They wanted him signed, they offered him a financial agreement to pay him for 4 years of service, he agreed, and then he changed his mind. Brooklyn is going to get value but they will very likely not get as much value as Durant himself - that's just the way trades for megastars work. That's where the harm is. It's of course perfectly legal but a bit distasteful.

All the talk is that he’s done them wrong in some way by “signing the extension then wanting out before he’s even played a game”. That’s not true. It worked to the Nets advantage that he did so.  They are a lot better off in their situation than when he left OKC and GS and they got nothing and that dickhead Russell respectively out of the deal. 
he doesn’t want to be there anymore, that’s his prerogative. How it played out is better for the Nets then it would have been otherwise. They don’t have any need or reason to be spiteful about any of this like multiple posters are indicating they should be. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

All the talk is that he’s done them wrong in some way by “signing the extension then wanting out before he’s even played a game”. That’s not true. It worked to the Nets advantage that he did so.  They are a lot better off in their situation than when he left OKC and GS and they got nothing and that dickhead Russell respectively out of the deal. 
he doesn’t want to be there anymore, that’s his prerogative. How it played out is better for the Nets then it would have been otherwise. They don’t have any need or reason to be spiteful about any of this like multiple posters are indicating they should be. 

Yes but again they are not as good as if he had not publicly declared he wanted a trade.

I certainly agree that this is better for the Nets than if he hadn't signed, but that's not the baseline anymore. He signed, that's the new baseline. Now the comparison is not "Durant demanding a trade" vs "Durant not signing", it's "Durant demanding a trade" vs "Durant playing out his contract".

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

I view it a different way.  I think KD hung on for quite a while hoping Kyrie will eventually work out.  He was wrong.  Wrong about Harden too.  Him wanting to leave is a pretty recent development and we don’t know what happened behind the scenes

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I view it a different way.  I think KD hung on for quite a while hoping Kyrie will eventually work out.  He was wrong.  Wrong about Harden too.  Him wanting to leave is a pretty recent development and we don’t know what happened behind the scenes

Sure. But just like Wulaw absolves Harden for leaving Houston even though Harden was an instrumental part in Harden getting Westbrook and Paul over to Houston, Durant was an instrumental part in getting Kyrie and Harden over. Demand a trade after the situation he helped create didn't work out doesn't look great. Perfect legal, nothing unethical, but distasteful (imo).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Yes but again they are not as good as if he had not publicly declared he wanted a trade.

I certainly agree that this is better for the Nets than if he hadn't signed, but that's not the baseline anymore. He signed, that's the new baseline. Now the comparison is not "Durant demanding a trade" vs "Durant not signing", it's "Durant demanding a trade" vs "Durant playing out his contract".

Yeah but that’s not how anyone is processing this or talking about it. They are making it out like he harmed the organization in some way and they should be pissed at him. 
I just don’t see it that way. The nets had s fun little 42-40 team that was going nowhere and was fixing to be capped out when he and Kyrie signed. They got a rehab year that was a wash, 2

years where they were the center of the basketball universe, KD’s full attention and total commitment to win a title, some absolutely brilliant basketball last year from him, and now on the way out the door they will get enough assets back to make up for what they sent out in the Harden trade then some. People are acting like this should be some sort of cautionary tale. I just

don’t see it that way. 
If I was Brooklyn I’d do it again 100/100 and I’d shake KD’s hand and say thanks for the effort. They came an inch away from an NBA title even with all the bad shit that happened last year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

KD still wants to play with Kyrie. He's leaving because Brooklyn "did Kyrie wrong" by not maxing him out, despite Brooklyn doing everything else KD and Kyrie have asked for 3 years. KD hasn't even talked to the front office since the season ended, so there is no other drama. If ownership/management was the issue, he wouldn't have a team owned by Robert fucking Sarver at the top of his list.

They could have rolled the dice and played one more season together in Brooklyn; if Kyrie plays even a "normal" season with limited space cadet distractions, they gladly max him out. But they'd rather blow it up than take that risk. Hope it's worth it because KD may end up in Toronto or a Clipper. They almost certainly won't be playing together again.

2 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Sure. But just like Wulaw absolves Harden for leaving Houston even though Harden was an instrumental part in Harden getting Westbrook and Paul over to Houston, Durant was an instrumental part in getting Kyrie and Harden over. Demand a trade after the situation he helped create didn't work out doesn't look great. Perfect legal, nothing unethical, but distasteful (imo).

Same deal with Harden. He played his ass off for so many years and gave his all to the franchise. As soon as it became obvious to him it wasn’t going to work he let the rockets know and although they fought him for a minute on that ultimately it was the right thing for the franchise to move on and he did them a favor by forcing the issue. 
these guys have such a short career. They don’t owe anyone anything other than their best efforts which Harden and KD both gave up until the time they said “I want out”. 
The only guys I have a problem with are guys that won’t lace it up and give their all. Simmons, Kyrie, guys like that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, aggie08 said:

KD still wants to play with Kyrie. He's leaving because Brooklyn "did Kyrie wrong" by not maxing him out, despite Brooklyn doing everything else KD and Kyrie have asked for 3 years. KD hasn't even talked to the front office since the season ended, so there is no other drama. If ownership/management was the issue, he wouldn't have a team owned by Robert fucking Sarver at the top of his list.

They could have rolled the dice and played one more season together in Brooklyn; if Kyrie plays even a "normal" season with limited space cadet distractions, they gladly max him out. But they'd rather blow it up than take that risk. Hope it's worth it because KD may end up in Toronto or a Clipper. They almost certainly won't be playing together again.

KD and Kyrie for Westbrook, AD, and lakers oicks in 27 and 29 and a swap in 28. Who says no? 

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

KD and Kyrie for Westbrook, AD, and lakers oicks in 27 and 29 and a swap in 28. Who says no? 

The Nets. That's a terrible haul. Not enough future assets, and Westbrook is just dead money at this point.

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

The Nets. That's a terrible haul. Not enough future assets, and Westbrook is just dead money at this point.

That’s 2 picks and a swap. Do you not think that AD could get another 4 picks and 3 swaps from somewhere if they parted him out? So, that return would be 6 picks, 4 swaps and then cap space galore after Westbrook comes off the books in one year after already getting rid of AD? 
that doesn’t sound horrible to me. I probably like Ayton and bridges and picks better, but an argument could be made that someone isn’t going to love having paid Ayton the max someday. 

I think Miami is trying to pull off a deal for Durant and Donovan Mitchell to get both to add to Jimmy Butler.  Just a guess but it is something Riley would try to do.  I picture something like Hero and Duncan Robinson and picks to Utah for Mitchell and some package with Bam to the Nets for Durant.  There is an issue with Simmons and Bam being on the same team because of the NBA weird contract rules so there would need to be a 3rd team to take Simmons for some assets.  This would mean the Nets would be fine getting rid of Simmons which I am not sure about either as they may want to keep him which destroys this whole idea.  All of this is just a guess and probably a wrong one and Durant will end up on the Suns most likely.

3 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I think Miami is trying to pull off a deal for Durant and Donovan Mitchell to get both to add to Jimmy Butler.  Just a guess but it is something Riley would try to do.  I picture something like Hero and Duncan Robinson and picks to Utah for Mitchell and some package with Bam to the Nets for Durant.  There is an issue with Simmons and Bam being on the same team because of the NBA weird contract rules so there would need to be a 3rd team to take Simmons for some assets.  This would mean the Nets would be fine getting rid of Simmons which I am not sure about either as they may want to keep him which destroys this whole idea.  All of this is just a guess and probably a wrong one and Durant will end up on the Suns most likely.

Utah rebuilding around two mediocre white guys does seem inevitable.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

That’s pretty interesting. 
I can’t imagine the nets not being fine with getting rid of Simmons. 
that would make their new team Bam and stuff, Stuff they got for Kyrie, stuff they got for Simmons, Joe Harris, Curry to younger and that big they have I kind of like I’m blanking on. 
That puts then behind the new Miami, Milwaukee and Boston for sure, probably behind Philly maybe behind Atlanta. That’s a 4-6 seed in the East with no chance of winning the title but a decent floor. 

26 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I think Brooklyn may say no.  Maybe Lebron and KD as well

Probably. I’m just trying to find a scenario where Kyrie and KD would go out together and then might work for both teams and that’s the only one I could come up with. 

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Was listening to the radio and the guy said KD should be worth 5x Rudy.   Won’t happen of course 

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Seems like they may part ways which would be good for KD

Agree on the parting way being good for KD. 

He might be worth 5X Rudy but it’s a statement that doesn’t mean anything. There isn’t the capacity to pay much more than they did (at least in your own draft picks) and KD has some say in where he’s going unlike Rudy, so it limits the market.  Also, at 34 years old KD only makes sense for someone trying to win a title in the next 2 or 3 years, and if they have to trade everything that makes them good right now then he becomes not all that valuable to them and not worth doing. Really weird deal there because of all those factors. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s pretty interesting. 
I can’t imagine the nets not being fine with getting rid of Simmons. 
that would make their new team Bam and stuff, Stuff they got for Kyrie, stuff they got for Simmons, Joe Harris, Curry to younger and that big they have I kind of like I’m blanking on. 
That puts then behind the new Miami, Milwaukee and Boston for sure, probably behind Philly maybe behind Atlanta. That’s a 4-6 seed in the East with no chance of winning the title but a decent floor. 

Pretty sure when the Nets blow this up they aren’t planning on competing for a few years anyways so a 4-6 seed would be great for them but I think they would just want assets to build around and are fine hitting the lottery for a few years to add talent.  The bigger question would be if that Miami team is good enough to win a title.  They would need to fill up the bench with minimum vets and rookies but this would be their starting 5. 

Lowry, Mitchell, Butler, Durant, Dedmon would be their starting 5.  

19 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Pretty sure when the Nets blow this up they aren’t planning on competing for a few years anyways so a 4-6 seed would be great for them but I think they would just want assets to build around and are fine hitting the lottery for a few years to add talent.  The bigger question would be if that Miami team is good enough to win a title.  They would need to fill up the bench with minimum vets and rookies but this would be their starting 5. 

Lowry, Mitchell, Butler, Durant, Dedmon would be their starting 5.  

There’s no certainty they will win a title but there is also no doubt that they are good enough to do so. That’s definitely a title quality unit. 

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

There’s no certainty they will win a title but there is also no doubt that they are good enough to do so. That’s definitely a title quality unit. 

Now that I think about it Lowry may have to go also to match Mitchell or Durants contract so maybe it wouldn’t work anyways.

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Now that I think about it Lowry may have to go also to match Mitchell or Durants contract so maybe it wouldn’t work anyways.

Woj brought up a good point yesterday: does KD still ask out if Golden State doesn't win the title, thus causing the unfair media backlash against him? Seems to have accelerated his timetable towards getting back to the Finals, given the two teams that he wants to go to.

That said, Vegas had Brooklyn as the favorites to win the East before all this.

2 hours ago, Serak The Preparer said:

FFS, Kyrie was going to BKN without KD being involved at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Yup. KD and Kyrie decided to try to team up at some point in 2019, and Brooklyn definitely hoped that it would be a package deal. KD was open to other teams that could take them both; Kyrie wasn't. Kyrie was signing there even if KD had a change of heart. Going home to Brooklyn was his dream. Just like the next place will be for about 3 minutes before he makes himself unhappy again.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Woj brought up a good point yesterday: does KD still ask out if Golden State doesn't win the title, thus causing the unfair media backlash against him? Seems to have accelerated his timetable towards getting back to the Finals, given the two teams that he wants to go to.

That said, Vegas had Brooklyn as the favorites to win the East before all this.

Frankly it's impossible to know and I thought it was kind of hokey journalism from Windhorst. Was KD having a killer time dragging those bums to the playoffs to get swept in the first round and then decided "hey this actually isn't a great situation" only after seeing GS win the title? It doesn't seem like him wanting out of Brooklyn needs that much explanation. He wanted to leave GS and win one somewhere else and that still seems to be his motivation. To flip it on it's head - do we think he doesn't ask out if Boston wins the title? Because that seems like a silly question.

39 minutes ago, Llogg said:

27 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Yup. KD and Kyrie decided to try to team up at some point in 2019, and Brooklyn definitely hoped that it would be a package deal. KD was open to other teams that could take them both; Kyrie wasn't. Kyrie was signing there even if KD had a change of heart. Going home to Brooklyn was his dream. Just like the next place will be for about 3 minutes before he makes himself unhappy again.

Ok then the devil’s advocate still says KD can’t hold Brooklyn accountable for having Kyrie and his crazy antics when KD knew what he was signing up for, and presumably endorsed if not requested the Harden trade. 

Brooklyn’s only real faults were making the stupid Harden trade from Houston, and then making the slightly less stupid Harden-Simmons trade. 

I hope the NFL and NBA owners (sorry, “governors”) take control and put their feet down on these star divas demanding trades to specific teams. It is uncompetitive and terrible for teams and fan bases losing homegrown stars, or in this case stars that the franchise mortgaged the future to get. The boogie man is that one team tells a star to take a hike and they get blacklisted by agents and figure free agents. Ok well what if all the teams agree to put an end to this bullshit?

On 7/1/2022 at 12:32 AM, ztejas said:

Well... I don't know. 

#GoKD

Congrats on your continued unemployment

1 minute ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Ok then the devil’s advocate still says KD can’t hold Brooklyn accountable for having Kyrie and his crazy antics when KD knew what he was signing up for, and presumably endorsed if not requested the Harden trade. 

Brooklyn’s only real faults were making the stupid Harden trade from Houston, and then making the slightly less stupid Harden-Simmons trade. 

I hope the NFL and NBA owners (sorry, “governors”) take control and put their feet down on these star divas demanding trades to specific teams. It is uncompetitive and terrible for teams and fan bases losing homegrown stars, or in this case stars that the franchise mortgaged the future to get. The boogie man is that one team tells a star to take a hike and they get blacklisted by agents and figure free agents. Ok well what if all the teams agree to put an end to this bullshit?

So the BKN management makes a colossal, historic fucking terrible trade for a guy that ultimately submarined the entire team and KD is not entitled to react to that in any way? "Presumably endorsed if not requested the Harden trade" == I know of no evidence to support my position but I'm going to make up a story that confirms my irrational belief.

All KD has done basically is declared he has a lack of confidence in the direction the team is going and does not believe the current management is up to the task of correcting course. You act like he fucked the owner's wife and called Nash a racist. He just wants to work somewhere else. People getting upset about players wanting to move teams really say more about themselves than about the players.

• Hook 'Em 1