2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

Hired because he grew up there? No. 

Hired because he has a (small) but proven track record of recruiting the area? Yes. And it’s pretty ignorant to think that wasn’t a huge factor. He’s going to be fine and his time with the Dolphins will give him added credibility with players and recruits. The only negative I’m seeing is that he’s probably not going to land us Gustavo Cordova.

First off, we're in the SEC now, so the idea that we wouldn't be able to recruit in Georgia is asinine.  Second, Choice coached at Georgia Tech...you don't think he has any relationships at Georgia high schools?

This is an underwhelming hire, there are no two ways around that.  Could he end up as a great coach?  Of course, but don't act like he's some "up and comer" with an amazing resume that people were lining up to hire.  That's aggy level bullshit.

I mean the dude's been coaching for like 12 years and doesn't even have a Wikipedia page.

I'll trust the coaches because I have no other option, but...

sad-tired.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

This is definitely the most surprising hire Sark has made so far but it could end up being a great one. There's nothing saying the guy is bad, there's just not much saying he's good either. Very limited track record either way.

The Choice comparison is silly but actually this hire isn't all that far off from Chris Jackson, who only had 4 total years of coaching experience (all NFL, 1 on defense, 2 as assistant WR coach). Granted, Jackson had a long playing career too.

Now we just have to hope hope the new Special Assistant - Defense can help coach both the secondary and DL..

If no one really has a clue about the assistant DL coaching world would you please stand up? Ok no one, didn’t think so. Definitely have to let this play out. 37, should be relatable-something you hear more and more about, just coached a solid line, fangio hire, can’t complain about “evidence” and then poo poo on his age-his age is a plus I believe when you look at our staff. Tis all

14 minutes ago, DigDug said:

There is something very comforting in seeing that all the blowhards here are against this hiring.  If there is one thing that never changes, the heavy loud opinionated here are wrong almost all the time.  Almost every time.  

Say this to make yourself feel better, but that’s a fallacy, especially regarding recruiting and staff. 

Go ahead and tell us who is against the hire, also. Give us the list. I don’t see many on here bemoaning the hire. I see plenty questioning it and only the dumbest of fucking idiots wouldn’t. But let’s keep score and such so that drive by fuckheads like you can make sure you have your receipts and shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

For the first few years we had horrible negative recruiting because of scheme on the front. Those negatives no longer exist so I am interested to see how recruiting goes at DT in our scheme moving forward. Were already seeing it at edge. 

Regardless of the headwinds, our 2022 DT class was viewed as quite solid at the time. I'm looking back at the offers we made at DT that year and there aren't many true misses I see. Can't really say Bear Alexander was a miss with the funny business involved in that recruitment.

2023 we should have taken more than just Mitchell. That was a poor decision whoever signed off on it whether it be Davis or Sarkisian. 

2024 we all know what happened. I'll be interested to see if McKinley ends up being a bust at LSU. My guess is yes.

2 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

To paraphrase Red McCombs, some dudes are great assistants maybe even a coordinator, but suck ass as a head coach.

Some folks never get this, but it should be obvious.  Head coach requires a different skillset than coordinator / assistant.  Thanks for making the point in a relatable way.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, hook me said:

Sark got HIS guy. Was Rod a candidate? Yes. Was O a possibility? My gut says he wouldn't turn down a chance to beat LSU & we had the money to get him here. But if you've been paying attention you'd know that Sark wanted a guy that he knew he could hang onto for a few years to avoid the trouble Saban had at Bama. He saw how difficult it was to have that much staff turnover every year and that's why I think this guy was actually number 1 on the board. So what's he do? He goes and gets an under the radar, up & coming, NFL guy. Make no mistake, people in the Dolphins organization rave, RAVE, about this guy. I had one NFL coordinator reach out to me personally and talk about how this guy is going to be a HC one day. That's how good he is & Sark got him at a discount because he's buying low. This sets up the defensive side nicely because you know what you have in PK, you have a natural successor in Nansen should PK move on, & now you have a guy that can come along after that should he prove himself as capable as what I've been told. Is he going to struggle recruiting? Maybe, but keep in mind the NIL at UT is a huge weapon for every coach & don't be surprised if T-Choice accompanies him when visiting some of the higher profile recruits - at least until he gets his feet under him in that area.

All in all this is an B+ hire with a chance for us to look back on it as an A+ here in 3-4 years. 

It was the best I could do off the top of my head

My man, you were born to be a 995er

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Say this to make yourself feel better, but that’s a fallacy, especially regarding recruiting and staff. 

Go ahead and tell us who is against the hire, also. Give us the list. I don’t see many on here bemoaning the hire. I see plenty questioning it and only the dumbest of fucking idiots wouldn’t. But let’s keep score and such so that drive by fuckheads like you can make sure you have your receipts and shit. 

Touch a nerve broseph.  No one was pointing fingers at you, but if you want to own it go ahead and wrap yourself in that blanket.

4 minutes ago, DigDug said:

Touch a nerve broseph.  No one was pointing fingers at you, but if you want to own it go ahead and wrap yourself in that blanket.

Terrible, dickless response. I have already stated that I excited about the hire.

You showed up to talk shit with a declarative statement that the recruiting board is loaded with constantly incorrect idiots. I just asked you to show your work. You didn’t because you can’t. There are like 2 posters discussing this hire who have said they flat out don’t like it. 

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Terrible, dickless response. I have already stated that I excited about the hire.

You showed up to talk shit with a declarative statement that the recruiting board is loaded with constantly incorrect idiots. I just asked you to show your work. You didn’t because you can’t. There are like 2 posters discussing this hire who have said they flat out don’t like it. 

Can you stop being sensitive for like 2 minutes?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Terrible maybe. Dickless?  Well that hurts.  What you may not get is I normally don’t take directions from just anyone.

And I said the site not this forum, blind deaf dumb no reading motherfucker.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Should I be angry or happy about the hire?

In the near term, I am evaluating this hire by:

- hold on to Brandon Brown. This is a test if he can keep a recruit that appears to have only committed because of Bo Davis.

- development of Alfred Collins. This guy has been an enigma. If Baker can unlock his potential (I am thinking getting on an All SEC list type year), then this guy might be a really good hire.

• Hook 'Em 3

Here’s where I land. 

Upside:  Younger, seemed to develop a couple of dudes at WKU, hired by Fangio, Nansen can mentor, similar site reaction to the Jackson hire. 

Downside:  No track record at P5 level much less the S-E-fuckin-C, possesses some sunshine, not Ed Orgeron. 

Keep the croots and power up Collins’s motor and at least he’ll be fine for a while. 

1 hour ago, DigDug said:

There is something very comforting in seeing that all the blowhards here are against this hiring.  If there is one thing that never changes, the heavy loud opinionated here are wrong almost all the time.  Almost every time.  

Stating that an unproven coach is in fact, unproven and comes with inherit risk does not make one against the hire. If that kind of hateful discourse bothers you so much you should redirect yourself to Orangebloods. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Playing Experience
1990-92 LSU (nose guard)

Coaching Experience
1995-97 LSU (Graduate Assistant/Strength and Conditioning)
1998-2001 North Shore (Texas) High School
2002-05 LSU (Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach)
2006 Miami Dolphins (Assistant Defensive Line/Strength and Conditioning)
2007-10 Alabama (Defensive Line)
2011-13 Texas (Defensive Tackles)
2014-15 Alabama (Defensive Line)
2016 Jacksonville Jaguars (Defensive Intern)
2017 Texas-San Antonio (Defensive Line)
2018-20 Detroit Lions (Defensive Line)
2021-23 Texas (Defensive Line)
2024 LSU (Defensive Line)

12 years of coaching the defensive line in college football, Davis has produced 17 all-conference selections and seven all-Americans. He’s coached players who have won the Outland Trophy, the Defensive Player of the Year in the Big 12 and Conference USA, along with the Big 12 Defensive Lineman of the Year. He’s also had finalists for the Outland, Nagurski and Bednarik Awards.

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

Playing Experience
1990-92 LSU (nose guard)

Coaching Experience
1995-97 LSU (Graduate Assistant/Strength and Conditioning)
1998-2001 North Shore (Texas) High School
2002-05 LSU (Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach)
2006 Miami Dolphins (Assistant Defensive Line/Strength and Conditioning)
2007-10 Alabama (Defensive Line)
2011-13 Texas (Defensive Tackles)
2014-15 Alabama (Defensive Line)
2016 Jacksonville Jaguars (Defensive Intern)
2017 Texas-San Antonio (Defensive Line)
2018-20 Detroit Lions (Defensive Line)
2021-23 Texas (Defensive Line)
2024 LSU (Defensive Line)

12 years of coaching the defensive line in college football, Davis has produced 17 all-conference selections and seven all-Americans. He’s coached players who have won the Outland Trophy, the Defensive Player of the Year in the Big 12 and Conference USA, along with the Big 12 Defensive Lineman of the Year. He’s also had finalists for the Outland, Nagurski and Bednarik Awards.

Why do this, like we were choosing between to the two or something?

Just now, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Why do this, like we were choosing between to the two or something?

Bo Davis was making 1M/year and it wasn’t like the AD was going broke or needed the extra $$ in the assistant pool. What the fuck is this hire. 

• Like 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

You’re like a child wandering into the middle of a movie. 

Bo Davis wanted to coach his son, and Texas couldn’t get him in as a transfer until this summer. LSU had no academic shit to get in order because they’re not an academic institution. So they paid him 1.5 and got his kid in and he went back to his alma mater. 

Yeah and Texas hired…what the fuck is this guys name even? I can’t remember it. 

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Yeah and Texas hired…what the fuck is this guys name even? I can’t remember it. 

Two other guys turned down the job, and options for what he wanted became scarce. 

“wtf is this hire” and “why did we lose Davis” are two different questions with two different answers, and shouldn’t be conflated like in your last post on the subject. 

22 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Stating that an unproven coach is in fact, unproven and comes with inherit risk does not make one against the hire. If that kind of hateful discourse bothers you so much you should redirect yourself to Orangebloods. 

Not what I said and everyone that walks through that door better be ready to prove themselves.   To terse for you then you can take it back to 360, or you can stay in the corner like a child playing with his dick when he’s nervous.

247 Sunshine Article

AUSTIN, Texas – Former Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis was universally respected for his role in helping set the tone and culture of a Longhorns’ defense that has steadily improved in three seasons under defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski – and his biggest contributions to the program was his role in developing and getting the most out of several talents on the line.

While Davis is widely regarded as one of the top defensive line coaches in the nation, Steve Sarkisian’s hire of 37-year-old Kenny Baker may have landed the program one of the fastest risers in the coaching profession and someone who is more than capable of guiding the position room.

Despite not being a more noteworthy name, Baker has a growing resume of being able to grow talent and connect with his players – something that will be depended upon immediately as several Longhorns including Vernon Broughton, Alfred Collins, Colton Vasek, Sydir Mitchell, Jaray Bledsoe and others will be growing into increased roles with the departures previous standouts.

Prior to spending last season with the Miami Dolphins, Baker earned his first FBS coaching job at Western Kentucky, where he served as defensive line coach for three seasons under Tyson Helton, son of longtime college head coach Kim Helton and the younger brother of former USC head coach Clay Helton.

With the Hilltoppers, Baker and defensive coordinators’ Clayton White (now with South Carolina) and Maurice Crum Jr. (now with SMU) 4-2-5 defense helped develop several talents including current Atlanta Falcon DeAngelo Malone, who won a league Defensive Player of the Year award under Baker and defensive tackle Ricky Barber, who after being a lightly-recruited prospect earned Freshman All-American honors in 2020.

Helton spoke with Horns247 to talk about what Texas is getting in the 37-year-old Baker and what makes him special as a fast-riser in the coaching profession.

(Photo: Stephen Lew, USA TODAY Sports)
“How Kenny got on my radar is I reached out to who I call the godfather of D-line coaches in [Former LSU, USC defensive line coach] Pete Jenkins and as a longtime college and NFL guy, he really started grooming defensive line coaches and ran coaching clinics as he got older,” said Helton who was looking for a defensive line coach after former Hilltoppers D-line coach Jimmy Lindsay left the program to take a Power Five opportunity with Illinois. “I’ve had several of those guys who came from that tree, so when I had a coach (Jimmy Lindsay) leaving my staff, he gave me Kenny’s name as one of those next superstars from the Pete Jenkins tree.”

Entering his sixth season as head coach at Western Kentucky, Helton has been a noted developer of coaches over his tenure that’s seen the program go to five straight bowl games and Helton amass a 40-26 record.

Several former assistants have taken Power Five jobs including Lindsay, who would later go on to coach at South Carolina and LSU, current offensive coordinators Zach Kittley (Texas Tech), Ben Arbuckle (Washington State) and South Carolina defensive coordinator Clayton White.

When Baker arrived in Bowling Green, Kentucky, Helton immediately saw Baker’s ability as a coach.

“When he got here, immediately he was my kind of guy,” said Helton. “You just know when a guy walks in the door if he captures his players and Kenny does that, players are always looking to be educated and want something that’s going to be beneficial to their game. Kenny Baker is a guy who can walk in the door and make a player better and capture his room.”

Despite his relatively young age, [33 at the time of his hire at Western Kentucky], Helton was emphatic when talking about Baker’s ability to make players better through his attention to detail and coaching techniques.

“When you talk about having tools in your toolbox to help your team defeat an opponent, he can immediately look at a player and say okay, this is where this guy is at and this is his foundation, this is what I need to do in order to help him take the next step and then once he master’s that, he’s giving that player another tool to help them,” said Helton. “That’s really important, especially in today’s game when you’re not only talking about high school guys, but guys from the portal and JUCO players, who may all be at different stages of their development.”

Kenny Baker
Western Kentucky Defensive Line Coach Kenny Baker (Photo: Western Kentucky Athletics, 247Sports)
Baker will arrive in Austin with a defensive line room that’s filled with players in various stages of their development, like the aforementioned Collins and Broughton, who are primed to be the next pair of defensive tackles to pick up where T’Vondre Sweat and Byron Murphy left off – along with returning defensive ends Ethan Burke and Barryn Sorrell, who are established players but still have room for growth.

Malone spoke about Baker’s role in helping develop his game further, after coming off a 2019 season where he earned Conference USA’s Defensive Player of the Year honors following a 99-tackle, 22-tackle for loss and 11-sack season.

“He made me a better player, not just pass-rusher but overall in ways that I didn’t even realize I could be,” said Malone. “It’s the way he teaches techniques and fundamentals, you always feel as if you’re learning from him.”

Helton concurred with Malone’s sentiments.

“He’s a really good evaluator of talent and seeing where a guy is, meeting them at their level but then there’s a certain standard that he expects a guy to reach,” said Helton.

Baker will have massive shoes to fill in following Davis, who goes down in Longhorn lore for his legendary speech to the players as Texas left Iowa State’s Jack Trice Stadium after their 2021 30-7 loss to the Cyclones and the bond he built with his room – with several stalwarts like Sweat, Murphy and Collins being effusive in their respect for Davis.

Helton believes that Baker won’t have an issue building the types of bonds and earning the trust of his position room – having witnessed Baker’s ability during their time together.

Western Kentucky coach Tyson Helton (Photo: © Christopher Hanewinckel-USA TODAY Sports, USA TODAY Sports)
“Being in your early and mid 30’s is a great age for connecting with the guys because you’re not that far removed from being those guys’ ages, but you’ve been through some trials and tribulations yourself,” said Helton. “He makes you feel important but at the same time, he has full command of his room and sets very high expectations for his room and his players, I’ve always said your room is a direct reflection of you as a coach and he took that to heart and I think that’s why guys connect with him.”

“Being in your early and mid 30’s is a great age for connecting with the guys because you’re not that far removed from being those guys’ ages, but you’ve been through some trials and tribulations yourself,” said Helton. “He makes you feel important but at the same time, he has full command of his room and sets very high expectations for his room and his players, I’ve always said your room is a direct reflection of you as a coach and he took that to heart and I think that’s why guys connect with him.”

Baker assumes the final staff opening with winter workouts underway and a pivotal spring practice session looming as Texas looks to return to the College Football Playoff and capture the ultimate goal of winning a national championship.

When closing his thoughts on Baker and reflecting on his career advancement, Helton affirmed his belief that Baker is ready for the task at hand.

“I’m not surprised at all that he’s getting a job like Texas, he’s going to do a phenomenal job down there,” said Helton.

Baker assumes the final staff opening with winter workouts underway and a pivotal spring practice session looming as Texas looks to return to the College Football Playoff and capture the ultimate goal of winning a national championship.

When closing his thoughts on Baker and reflecting on his career advancement, Helton affirmed his belief that Baker is ready for the task at hand.

“I’m not surprised at all that he’s getting a job like Texas, he’s going to do a phenomenal job down there,” said Helton.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

Oh my mistake. I thought that Texas was in the business of hiring the best coaches possible with commensurate budgets. My bad. This hire has no red flags whatsoever. 

Well, no one is jerking off to it except Satya. Oh and Helobious. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, no one is jerking off to it except Satya. 

I’m in Cozumel. I’m 6 hours late to the party. I just wanted to post my pissed off feelings like you all got to do earlier. I’ll go cry in the corner now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Prepare your anus 1

14 minutes ago, DigDug said:

Not what I said and everyone that walks through that door better be ready to prove themselves.   To terse for you then you can take it back to 360, or you can stay in the corner like a child playing with his dick when he’s nervous.

Even better than your drive by bitching about the board at large without being specific is you trying to pretend like you didn’t in fact do that. Fucking own it and quote who you disagree with and debate their points. 

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Even better than your drive by bitching about the board at large without being specific is you trying to pretend like you didn’t in fact do that. Fucking own it and quote who you disagree with and debate their points. 

You dumb motherfuckers are full of yourselves and weakly sensitive. I point right the fuck at you.  

I was bitching at all, I was talking in comfort. Your dumb ass couldn’t tell friend foe or murder if it was standing right next to you.

9 minutes ago, DigDug said:

You dumb motherfuckers are full of yourselves and weakly sensitive. I point right the fuck at you.  

I was bitching at all, I was talking in comfort. Your dumb ass couldn’t tell friend foe or murder if it was standing right next to you.

Interview Crying GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, no one is jerking off to it except Satya. Oh and Helobious. 

This place is hilarious. Me thinking this was a solid hire equates to “jacking off” over it. 

The main thing bugging me is people are ignoring the obvious: Davis & Wright (Attorneys at Law) arent options clearly. And say we didn’t hire Baker. What awesome can’t miss DL coach out there right now do we get instead? I’ll wait. 

8 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

So our head coach hired a relative unknown he feels can do a job we need done well. Wasn't his son or anything, so I'll give benefit of the doubt until/unless the hire proves a bad one. I'm just spectating anyway. 

We don't know that...we hope that, but we don't know it.  

Another possibility is that he needs a DL coach before spring ball and this is the best he could find on short notice and he, like the rest of us, hopes he works out.  But if not, he'll try again next year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2