2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

42 minutes ago, ousux said:
46 minutes ago, closetojumping said:
Should we just fold up shop and go home then? Losing Davis was always going to be an uphill battle for this next cycle. No shit Davis has skins on the wall that his replacement doesn’t. 

Just concerned is all. Maybe Baker becomes a D-line master and recruiting witch, but it's all pretty unknown at the moment.

IMG_3482.gif.22045665da4d5083f1f436eb0bd7f0d4.gif

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ousux said:
20 minutes ago, cochamps said:
No shit Dick Tracy.  This has been covered extensively since his hiring.200.gif

I was just responding to the Gerry Hamilton thing posted, sorry for absolutely ruining your surly experience.

Oh, I don't think you need to worry about THAT too much.

Losing Glassxock is a big deal. The guy was involved in identifying recruits. He was a huge asset, and it sucks that he left for Kiffen. I hope he got a huge raise or this is a massive kick to the nuts. He's identified several it out recruits like Jelani Mcdonald, and a lot of our late signers. This sucks.. I hope the next guy is as great as Glassxock was. 

33 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Losing Glassxock is a big deal. The guy was involved in identifying recruits. He was a huge asset, and it sucks that he left for Kiffen. I hope he got a huge raise or this is a massive kick to the nuts. He's identified several it out recruits like Jelani Mcdonald, and a lot of our late signers. This sucks.. I hope the next guy is as great as Glassxock was. 

Anymore sand in your vagina?

47 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I’m sure we can find a suitable replacement. 

Bobby:

Given the recent departure of Director of Player Personnel Billy Glasscock to Ole Miss as General Manager, Texas coach Steve Sarkisian must now decide whether he wants to backfill the previous role Glasscock - Director of Player Personnel - held or create an entirely new structure for his off-field support staff.

While Sark is mulling those options overall, I am hearing that two individuals are expected to receive a bump in title and responsibility: Brandon Harris and John Michael Jones.

Harris has been the Director of Recruiting for the Longhorns during Sark’s entire tenure in Austin. He recently went on the road when the Horns were down a staff member due to the departure of Bo Davis. Harris is seen as a trusted member of Sark’s circle.

Jones, a Texas grad and long-time staffer who worked for the team prior to Sark’s arrival, has been the team’s Assistant Director of Player Personnel. Jones has been a do-it-all type for the Horns behind the scenes. He’s not a name many will be familiar with but he knows the system as well as anyone.

Prior to Glasscock’s departure, a restructuring was thought to be under way. Glasscock was likely going to be elevated to a GM-like role (yet possibly not that exact title).

Time will tell what Sarkisian decides to do overall, but OTF expects Harris and Jones to be part of Sark’s solution.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hookem10 said:

Saban  lost coaches and personnel every year and kept rolling…If Sark is who we hope he is Texas should keep rolling. Or start rolling in this case 

We can feel good about where things are headed with Sarkisian without doing him the disservice of comparing him to Saban. 

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

It's creative. He was the Creative Director for Texas Football until '22. Looks like they're bringing him back. Not recruiting related. 

He took a position at TCU that had Assistant Athletics Director as part of his title (while also managing creative).   I don't know what AAD role is, but I wonder if it's a transition into that world and not just creative.   Regardless, if it's just creative, he's one of the best.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, LanceUppercut said:

He took a position at TCU that had Assistant Athletics Director as part of his title (while also managing creative).   I don't know what AAD role is, but I wonder if it's a transition into that world and not just creative.   Regardless, if it's just creative, he's one of the best.  

I don't know about you, but I don't usually wander through the marketing cubes looking for managers. 

18 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I don't know about you, but I don't usually wander through the marketing cubes looking for managers. 

You just offended @texifornia on a deeply personal level.

Just now, LanceUppercut said:

I do that daily.

He was being nice in trying to tell you that there is no fucking way a creative director is going to be elevated into a GM role at Texas. Font expertise and cost to acquire acumen aren't going to be valued in the world of roster management and personnel evaluations and NIL cap strategy. 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Is @texifornia the one who criticized Lange after he left like Lange was Fawcett bad?

No, but I had forgotten all of this stuff. @RGBIII and @Bam Bam Sam had the goods in 12/21

@Bam Bam Sam 12/19/21

Wanted to mention that Sark did not "start cleaning house with creative" and did not let Lange or Turnquist go. First, creative department doesn't report to Sark, they report to DPP.

Second, both guys are very ambitious and talented individuals. While they both love sports, this part of the creative industry does not leave much room for career growth after you get to where they're at. Working directly for a team is typically much longer hours, much larger volume of work, and more work to oversee than other jobs outside of a sports program at their level. Matt didn't enjoy doing some aspects of his role that are necessary, but he was viewed very favorably in the department anyway. If they wanted to stay, they could have. They're both moving on to jobs that will allow them to have more time with their families, less volume, and more income.

Sark and Billy view their roles as an important part of the program and recruiting. so I have faith they will hire people who are hungry like Lange and Turnquist were and not hire just anybody. As of right now I'm not sure if their replacements are lined up or if that's something they'll wait until Spring or later for.

Moving on, I am excited to see what the recruiting trio of Banks, Choice, and Gilbert will be like. It can't be undersold how excellent a hire Gilbert was by Sark, he has been an absolute force for Texas this season. I am hoping Choice brings Texas an opportunity to build on that.

@RGBIII

BE39D8DD-ADF8-4F41-84C5-D363DCE7C29F.jpeg

Seems like he changed his mind. 

Also, in light of the fact that Matt Lange is publicly alluding to returning, let's not shit all over his work. 

Well. Give it 24 hours. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He was being nice in trying to tell you that there is no fucking way a creative director is going to be elevated into a GM role at Texas. Font expertise and cost to acquire acumen aren't going to be valued in the world of roster management and personnel evaluations and NIL cap strategy. 

That's...that's a pretty aggressive response to something I didn't even imply.   I said he transitioned from a creative role at UT to a creative role + "Assistant Athletic Director" role at TCU (whatever that role entails).   If he's coming back to Texas, it makes sense that it's in the AAD or Player Personnel wheelhouse (not even top the top role...just in that department), as opposed to straight creative.   It's probably a promotion of some sort, but I didn't make a leap to GM (or AD or DPP or anything actually). 

Just now, LanceUppercut said:

That's...that's a pretty aggressive response to something I didn't even imply.   I said he transitioned from a creative role at UT to a creative role + "Assistant Athletic Director" role at TCU (whatever that role entails).   If he's coming back to Texas, it makes sense that it's in the AAD or Player Personnel wheelhouse (not even top the top role...just in that department), as opposed to straight creative.   It's probably a promotion of some sort, but I didn't make a leap to GM (or AD or DPP or anything actually). 

Cool. I'm not sure what we're discussing at this point. If you think they're bringing Lange back to lead creative or something, swell. 

On the aggressive thing, that's just weird. I'm constantly being told by my boss, by my wife, by posters here that I need to be less timid and more assertive when expressing my thoughts. I guess it's starting to work out.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Cool. I'm not sure what we're discussing at this point. If you think they're bringing Lange back to lead creative or something, swell. 

On the aggressive thing, that's just weird. I'm constantly being told by my boss, by my wife, by posters here that I need to be less timid and more assertive when expressing my thoughts. I guess it's starting to work out.

You've definitely got that part worked out.   Maybe now focus on responding to what was actually said.   Once you can marry those two ideas, I'd say you've made it.  

Hmm. Homer was created and drawn by a guy named Matt. Also, substitute a 'g' for the 'c' in Lance, and you have Lange. Also, within a double-stranded DNA molecule, cytosine bases on one strand pair with guanine bases on the opposite strand (C-G). It all adds up. Welcome back to the 40, Lange!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, PsychMike said:

Hmm. Homer was created and drawn by a guy named Matt. Also, substitute a 'g' for the 'c' in Lance, and you have Lange. Also, within a double-stranded DNA molecule, cytosine bases on one strand pair with guanine bases on the opposite strand (C-G). It all adds up. Welcome back to the 40, Lange!

Dammit.   Totally thought the wig would have thrown everyone off the trail. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

You just offended @texifornia on a deeply personal level.

You never ever want me doing math on a professional level.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Is @texifornia the one who criticized Lange after he left like Lange was Fawcett bad?

That was @satyanash, unsurprisingly

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Yep, we're about to be up a Crick without a paddle.

Have we discussed who says “Creek” and who says “Crick” and whether they have separate meanings or are interchangeable where different posters grew up yet this offseason?

4 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Kyle Flood rumors to BC as head coach circling now….  That would suck, we just got a good line for the first time in 10 plus years.  

Do you have a source for these rumors other than the one article that listed him yesterday, and some other clickbait articles written as a result? As in you live in the area and have heard things, or know agents and people who run in those circles? 

Specifcally, this one article:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/boston-college-coaching-candidates-dan-mullen-jeff-monken-among-options-to-replace-jeff-hafley/

begat articles such as this:

https://www.si.com/college/texas/football/texas-oc-kyle-flood-candidate-boston-college-head-coach-opening

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Do you have a source for these rumors other than the one article that listed him yesterday, and some other clickbait articles written as a result? As in you live in the area and have heard things, or know agents and people who run in those circles? 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/boston-college-coaching-candidates-dan-mullen-jeff-monken-among-options-to-replace-jeff-hafley/

https://www.si.com/college/texas/football/texas-oc-kyle-flood-candidate-boston-college-head-coach-opening

Yea he lives across the street and there’s a moving truck….  🙄.   It’s the fucking offseason, this isn’t the thread to spread coaching rumors you see?  Simmer down Karen.  

Edited by Hook1997

1 minute ago, Hook1997 said:

Yea he lives across the street and there’s a moving truck….  🙄.   It’s the fucking offseason, this isn’t the thread to spread coaching rumors you see?  Simmer down Karen.  

I guess you didn't catch the part where I mentioned the article posted yesterday about it. Turns our I was wrong, it was actually Wednesday.

Which means you didn't see the article and discussion around it...Wednesday. I'm shocked, you don't read the actual threads you post on...you should try it, it helps people not ask stupid questions and be compared to Spider2yBanana. 

• Haha 5

20 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I guess you didn't catch the part where I mentioned the article posted yesterday about it. Turns our I was wrong, it was actually Wednesday.

Which means you didn't see the article and discussion around it...Wednesday. I'm shocked, you don't read the actual threads you post on...you should try it, it helps people not ask stupid questions and be compared to Spider2yBanana. 

The one I read is from an hour ago so….  But you’re right this isn’t the place for coaching speculation I guess.   We should all know only facts like you…..   my bad.  

Edited by Hook1997

19 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

It's annoying when people come in days later with old info and ask to re-litigate it. Nobody is forcing you to check the thread every hour but it becomes annoying when you act like it hasn't been a conversation and bring nothing to the thread besides saying "rumors". Copy/paste is literally a second's worth of work.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

The one I read is from an hour ago so….  But you’re right this isn’t the place for coaching speculation I guess.   We should all know only facts like you…..   my bad.  

Lol. Thanks for proving my point that you don't read shit...like literally my second post in response to you, in this thread, where I linked the fucking article that you just linked to me. Let me quote it for your convienience:

38 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The best part about that article, you and I both linked was this gem a few paragraphs in:

On Thursday evening, it was revealed that he may have another coach leave the program for a head coaching role, as Kyle Flood name has been floated as a candidate for the Boston College opening in a report by CBS.

The CBS resport in Question? ALso refer to my post above. You know, the article that you read an hour ago, but is referencing the article from Wednesday that was discussed here, and which offers no new information. Which again, leads me back to my first post asking you the question...is there any NEW information you have. Nope, just mulitple day old shit you could have read about here and didn'.t

But it's good to know you don't even read and comphrehend the articles you claim to have read from just an hour ago. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

I’m sure we can find a suitable replacement. 

I'm sure we can, but anyone playing down his role is naive. That dude made a huge impact on our recruiting and identifying players.I have faith Sark with make the right hire. I'm just kinda pissed he left for Ole Miss of all places, unless he plans on hanging out at The Grove with Kiffen to be his wingman

10 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

This is really just devil’s advocate since everyone seems to agree he was a solid asset … but have our late signers and diamond in the rough types in the Sark classes actually done anything?  I’m not counting guys like Kelvin Banks that we knew about the whole time and he flipped late.  

Have we really unearthed any hidden gens that made an impact?  I guess Ethan Burke maybe qualifies, but he was from f’n Westlake and a Michigan commit.  I think he would have found his way onto our radar regardless.  Otherwise, we’re talking about guys like Xavion Brice, Savion Red, and a few freshmen who redshirted behind a suspect secondary this year.  

We’re winning because of the 5 stars, not his evaluations.

Doubt Savion Red at your own peril, sir. But, he was here for 3 years, so there's no way to really know yet about players. Jelani Mcdonald, Warren Roberson, and Savion Red come to mind as guys he evaluated late. But I'm sure he can be replaced, and probably uograded, but I am pretty surprised he left for Ole Miss 

20 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'm sure we can, but anyone playing down his role is naive. That dude made a huge impact on our recruiting and identifying players.I have faith Sark with make the right hire. I'm just kinda pissed he left for Ole Miss of all places, unless he plans on hanging out at The Grove with Kiffen to be his wingman

I'm not downplaying his role. Just that, if he's willing to move, then like candidates might be willing to move here. There is probably more quality in the NFL and College football personnel departments than any time in history.

• Like 1

Just now, Ricky Butler said:

I'm not downplaying his role. Just that, if he's willing to move, then like candidates might be willing to move here. There is probably more quality in the NFL and College football personnel departments than any time in history.

I concur. I was just shocked, tbh. But yeah, I agree that there's plenty of candidates that can do what he does. I just came here to get in my feelings until I calmed down and realized that I have absolutely no doubt we can upgrade. We're motherfucking Texas, a blue blooded motherfucker can always upgrade...unless Kyle Flood leaves for BC, nx then I may literally cry.