Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

Ferrari with its first upgrades this year, and they changed a ton. They changed the sidepod inlet, added some aero near the halo, new floor, and a new rear wing design. Who knows how much improvement it will bring, but it is a pretty massive package that should have a pretty big jump in performance if it works (insert Ferrari joke here).

Also, the floor edges are starting to remind me of the crazy barge boards we saw in the previous regs, which created a ton of dirty air and made it so tough to follow. Red Bull's new floor edge is crazy. I thought the FIA was clamping down on floor edge designs to decrease dirty air, but it seems like they've back off that lately and that's probably part of why it's getting harder for cars to follow. 

image.thumb.png.5df1e00d41a0b6d1534d3034e00bfdc2.png

image.thumb.png.89f4da07ab9d8dc767ce751e03f74169.png

• Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Mittens said:

Aston Martin is dogshit.

11 hours ago, kevwun said:

Alonso ran off the track in the last practice and qualifying.

Yeah that car just wouldn't turn in at all. So much understeer.

It's hard to tell if they just improved less with their upgrades than others did, or if they actually got slower. They're still using Merc's windtunnel, until AM's new one opens in September iirc. I've read that Merc's been having correlation problems. Seems like that tunnel is also affecting AM's upgrades, going back to the same time last year..

Edited by wood

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Andretti hired Pat Symonds. Intriguing.

They sure are building their case.  "OBTW, FOM, we just hired your own Chief Technical Officer. Does that make us a 'serious entry'?"

Meanwhile, a bipartisan group of senators has bypassed Liberty entirely. They sent a letter to  the DOJ's Antitrust Division and to the chair of the FTC. This is a significant escalation - US Senators urging that an official investigation be opened using very specific language. This could lead to a full scale Antitrust enforcement investigation. If the Justice Department and FTC take this seriously and pick it up, Liberty are going to have a lot of work on their hands defending themselves as it'll no longer be a "let's play the long game and hope the politicians get bored" situation. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/senators-seek-doj-ftc-antitrust-probe-formula-1-andretti-global-rcna153201

IMHO, it is significant that Liberty chose not to respond to Jordan & the House judiciary committee. In anticipation of that this group of senators pressed forward to engage the FTC and DOJ. They would not have done that without knowing that either or both would open an investigation.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I'm okay with the homage to Senna and as stated by @VABuckeye, other than the Google wheels, I like it-- but Artyon Senna never drove a car that looked like that.  I'd much prefer to see them pay their respects using THIS livery:

image.png.ab80fd19ff9584b32d5d6237d7f13fb7.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

9 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I'm okay with the homage to Senna and as stated by @VABuckeye, other than the Google wheels, I like it-- but Artyon Senna never drove a car that looked like that.  I'd much prefer to see them pay their respects using THIS livery:

image.png.ab80fd19ff9584b32d5d6237d7f13fb7.png

Everybody wants that livery. The problem is that it's owned by Philip Morris, not McLaren. Even if it wasn't, that's more of a celebration of that era of McLaren not the man himself. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Everybody wants that livery. The problem is that it's owned by Philip Morris, not McLaren. Even if it wasn't, that's more of a celebration of that era of McLaren not the man himself. 

Eh, they can work out a deal.  It's only money.  A yellow and green car doesn't scream Senna to me, despite the obvious connection to the national colors of Brazil.  A yellow and green helmet, of course, would certainly hail back to Senna's time.

But honestly to me the car looks more like a nod to Benetton and Michael Schumacher.

image.png.444d2a955747cd16112a48a965de2bcd.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I mean ...

source.gif

This just in: Liberty Media's Greg Maffei is a walking, talking piece of shit.

But we already knew that. 

https://t.co/QhCiTJpufd

Mario Andretti: Formula 1 owner personally threatened to shut out team Andretti
The racing legend said the CEO of Liberty Media, Greg Maffei, told him, "I will do everything in my power to see that Michael [Andretti] never enters Formula 1."

A source close to Liberty Media, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss a private conversation, said the event occurred differently from how Andretti described it.

"Andretti approached Greg at the breakfast to have a discussion with him," the source said, adding that during the conversation Maffei indicated to Andretti that its application to join the grid in 2025 or 2026 had been rejected for good business reasons.

In January, Formula 1 laid out its reasons for rejecting Andretti.

“Our assessment process has established that the presence of an 11th team would not, on its own, provide value to the Championship,” it said in a statement. “The most significant way in which a new entrant would bring value is by being competitive. We do not believe that the Applicant would be a competitive participant.”

The 'competitive' standard they're applying is only there to exclude everyone, since it's extremely unlikely that anyone will be competitive right out of the box. At least half the grid is uncompetitive right now, FFS. And it's not up to FOM to decide whether or not an entrant is 'competitive'. That's the FIA's job, and they already approved Andretti.

Meanwhile ...
DOJ to announce antitrust lawsuit against Live Nation as soon as Thursday:

The Ticketmaster parent company also owns concert venues and promotes shows.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2024/05/22/live-nation-doj-antitrust/

Shit 'bout to get real for Liberty in the US. Fuck those asswipes.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Posted (edited)

This really seems like an attempt by FOM to just cut the FIA completely out of any decision making.

Surely there are terms in the 99 year lease contract limiting and defining what the lessee can and cannot do while running the commercial side, which void the deal or at least put the contract at risk if they are broken. I wonder just how much crap like this FOM can pull before they end up in court with the FIA. I wonder how close they are to the edge right now.

Edited by wood

3 hours ago, wood said:

I mean ...

source.gif

The 'competitive' standard they're applying is only there to exclude everyone, since it's extremely unlikely that anyone will be competitive right out of the box. At least half the grid is uncompetitive right now, FFS. And it's not up to FOM to decide whether or not an entrant is 'competitive'. That's the FIA's job, and they already approved Andretti.

Meanwhile ...

Yep.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  I know Greg somewhat and have been in more than a few meetings with him.  He is a colossal piece of shit.  Like think of the biggest piece of shit you can imagine and he's bigger than that.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

Drivers are finally lobbying for deletion of the quickest lap time for drivers who cause a red flag in qualifying. We were just talking about this on Autosport a couple weeks ago, wondering why nobody in F1 would push for it. It's worked so well for so long in practically every other racing series.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/f1-drivers-urge-fia-to-delete-best-laps-of-monaco-red-flag-culprits/10614464/?_ga=2.174217186.137332967.1713221892-940737110.1610577366

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952ntpc9tiqpzzrian0iq

On 5/22/2024 at 4:55 PM, utee94 said:

Eh, they can work out a deal.  It's only money.  A yellow and green car doesn't scream Senna to me, despite the obvious connection to the national colors of Brazil.  A yellow and green helmet, of course, would certainly hail back to Senna's time.

But honestly to me the car looks more like a nod to Benetton and Michael Schumacher.

image.png.444d2a955747cd16112a48a965de2bcd.png

My first thought as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/23/2024 at 5:07 PM, wood said:

I mean ...

source.gif

Meanwhile ...

Good fuck ‘em!

Shaun The Sheep Movie Ok GIF

• Like 1