Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

13 hours ago, blacklab said:

Can't find the article I read a while back, but they marketed to non tax paying citizens and scammers, ignoring complaints of scams and allowing people to create hundreds of accounts and completely ignoring banking/KYC laws.

yeah, Hindenburg Research smoked the hell out of them.

3 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

This is an amazing concept.

Looks cool, sure. But let's be honest, there are a lot of lulls in an F1 race. In reality it's not like most of the time there's wild action across all the track that you want to see at all times. The 3D track display is cool to look at, but I know on F1TV I already have a 2-D track map as an option and almost never use it. I think showing elevation would be pretty neat as it's not easily shown on TV.

I guess that's a long-winded way of saying I'd love to try that, but get the feeling after 5 minutes I'd want to just go back to watching it normally.

If you could put these headsets on and then be "in" the cockpit of the car during a battle, that would be a killer app. 

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

Saw this video on another thread and though of F1. Word is he is doing 180-200 mph and it seems insanely fast. Drivers do that lap after lap and the TV makes it look like they are just cruising along.

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Saw this video on another thread and though of F1. Word is he is doing 180-200 mph and it seems insanely fast. Drivers do that lap after lap and the TV makes it look like they are just cruising along.

A few things:

1. From what we saw he did much of that 1:01 clip in the slow lane. Just think if he was in the fast lane! 😉

2. That's wicked cool.

3. That wicked stupid and he is going to die, or kill some other people.

4. I have no idea how those guys ride like that. It's crazy.

• Hook 'Em 2

After filing numerous trademarks for different potential naming structures for a Chicago F1 race, fans are buzzing about the possibility of a fourth U.S. F1 circuit, this time in the most populous city in the American midwest. 

There have been no statements or public discussions surrounding a Chicagocircuit, but these trademark filings are necessary early steps before making any announcements. While this may indicate that a new race is coming, F1 filed trademark applications for New York, Miami, and Las Vegas Grands Prix in 2017, but only two of those cities saw races last season so it could go either way.

https://jalopnik.com/chicago-may-be-the-next-u-s-city-to-host-formula-1-1851206191

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I hadn't heard they'd built a new purpose-built F1-certified race course in Chicago.  That should be great!

i'm waiting for them to make the USGP a rotating race between locations, one of which will be COTA and 3 of which will be the shit quasi street circuits of Chicago, Vegas and Miami.

• Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

i'm waiting for them to make the USGP a rotating race between locations, one of which will be COTA and 3 of which will be the shit quasi street circuits of Chicago, Vegas and Miami.

We need a +1 barf emoji rep choice.

image.png.5d451eee4c31bf39aa5e85c5129b2562.png

On 1/26/2024 at 5:33 PM, deft said:

Fuck that dude.

Este. What a POS. 

On our way to Daytona a guy on a bike passed us on I-10 going just about that speed. 

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Nothing. I'd never get it past anti-stall.

But to be a passenger, now you're talking.

I remember a top gear episode years ago where Hammond took out (tried to take out) an F1 car and do a lap. Not that the hamster is a professional driver or anything but all he does for a living is drive cars. It took him forever to get past the anti stall. And when he finally did he didn't dare drive fast enough to get the tires warmed up,  brakes warned up,  or to take advantage of downforce. He said it was so counterintuitive to go faster for more grip. He eventually made it around the track but it was ugly. 

What these guys do is pretty fucking incredible. 

14 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

After filing numerous trademarks for different potential naming structures for a Chicago F1 race, fans are buzzing about the possibility of a fourth U.S. F1 circuit, this time in the most populous city in the American midwest. 

I guess this makes some sense of Red Bull displaying a show car outside the Chicago hotel I stayed at a couple of years ago.

Can I say that I'd me more excited about Chicago than Miami or Las Vegas? Those two cities, you just know you're going to get the obnoxious show. Chicago would seem to be more about the actual race.

1 hour ago, Mittens said:

+

and the most damning:

if F1 is interest in teams being competitive - that changes everything. i assume we are about to see them raise the spending floor to make more teams competitive - right? more harsh penalties for spending under that floor? more harsh penalties for spending above the cap? bringing more under the cost cap (driver salaries?)?

what a fucking joke.

• Haas never spends money, has a 3 team team pit wall and has never come in higher than 8th in their entire existence. they finished last year with 2 total points after race week 3.
  • since 2019, whatever Alfa has been has finished 8th, 9th, 6th, and 9th. sure doesn't seem like an upward trajectory?
  • AT in the last 4 years ha gone 7th, 6th, 9th and 8th and ran 4 drivers last year. doesn't seem like they will be a competitive participant. oh yeah, and they are owned by another team on the grid.
  • Williams was so bad that the family had to sell it and has finished 10th, 1th, 10th, 8th, 10th 7th the last few years. sure doesn't seem like they are going to be competitive. they can't even afford to have their screen on the drivers wheel FFS

at worst, Andretti would be spending more than most of those guys in an effort to be competitive. i bet they can afford to send more than 3 people to pit row and can afford to have the screen integrated into their steering wheels.

what a fucking joke.

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I really don't understand. Couldn't a team just money-whip them into a spot like a track does? Is Andretti not willing to do that?

So they're trying to delay until they raise the dilution fee in the next Concorde Agreement. I'm not sure that'll work since Andretti has been in the process for so long already and was accepted by the FIA during this Concorde Agreement where the dilution fee is $200M.  I guess this will go to court. Thse guys are such shortsighted idiots. Wow. It reminds me so much of the dumbasses in charge of the different bowls who fought against the CFP for decades.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

2 hours ago, NoName said:

+

and the most damning:

if F1 is interest in teams being competitive - that changes everything. i assume we are about to see them raise the spending floor to make more teams competitive - right? more harsh penalties for spending under that floor? more harsh penalties for spending above the cap? bringing more under the cost cap (driver salaries?)?

what a fucking joke.

• Haas never spends money, has a 3 team team pit wall and has never come in higher than 8th in their entire existence. they finished last year with 2 total points after race week 3.
  • since 2019, whatever Alfa has been has finished 8th, 9th, 6th, and 9th. sure doesn't seem like an upward trajectory?
  • AT in the last 4 years ha gone 7th, 6th, 9th and 8th and ran 4 drivers last year. doesn't seem like they will be a competitive participant. oh yeah, and they are owned by another team on the grid.
  • Williams was so bad that the family had to sell it and has finished 10th, 1th, 10th, 8th, 10th 7th the last few years. sure doesn't seem like they are going to be competitive. they can't even afford to have their screen on the drivers wheel FFS

at worst, Andretti would be spending more than most of those guys in an effort to be competitive. i bet they can afford to send more than 3 people to pit row and can afford to have the screen integrated into their steering wheels.

what a fucking joke.

Haas did  finish P5 in 2018, but since then it's been P9, 9, 10, 8, 10, So yeah, it's fucking bullshit. It's about the $$$, not competitiveness. If it were about competitiveness, some of those teams would have been gone long ago.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

From Autosport:

cpbell, on 31 Jan 2024 - 11:36, said: This feels like the day that F1 died.

PayAsYouRace said: Perhaps not died, but was confirmed as no longer being a professional racing series, and just being the most expensive club racing series in the world.

Perfect summary imho.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

I wonder if this will be GM/Cadilac's Ford vs Ferrari moment. There's some talk still that since Andretti is FIA-approved, they could still race but just not get prize money. I could see GM and Andretti saying 'Fuck it. Let's go'.

And even if they can race, I'm guessing FOM and the teams get sued to Bolivian. FOM has really bungled this badly. Their own press release clearly demonstrates that they have no actual remotely legitimate reason for denying entry and are just pulling lame, stupid bullshit out of their asses.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, wood said:

I wonder if this will be GM/Cadilac's Ford vs Ferrari moment. There's some talk still that since Andretti is FIA-approved, they could still race but just not get prize money. I could see GM and Andretti saying 'Fuck it. Let's go'.

And even if they can race, I'm guessing FOM and the teams get sued to Bolivian. FOM has really bungled this badly. Their own press release clearly demonstrates that they have no actual remotely legitimate reason for denying entry and are just pulling lame, stupid bullshit out of their asses.

Would love to see this, but I doubt we do.  It's just too expensive.=

Example of pulling things outta their asses:

9. Any 11th team should show that its participation and involvement would bring a benefit to the Championship. The most significant way in which a new entrant would bring value is by being competitive, in particular by competing for podiums and race wins. 

Haas has been there since 2016 and iirc has come nowhere near a podium finish. Last year only 6 teams had podium finishes. I guess the other 4 all need to go, according to the logic being used to reject Andretti.

Another example: 

F1 has rejected Andretti in the most emphatic terms. Doubts it would be competitive, customer engine would damage F1's 'prestige and standing'

How exactly does it make sense to say that taking a customer engine for 2 years would 'damage F1's prestige and standing'? Aren't there 6 teams on the grid right now that have been taking customer engines for years and years?

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, wood said:

9. Any 11th team should show that its participation and involvement would bring a benefit to the Championship. The most significant way in which a new entrant would bring value is by being competitive, in particular by competing for podiums and race wins. 

the only thing, based on the concorde agreement, an 11th team "has" to do is pay the $200m i thought.

if they feel that strongly about customer engines, they should put their money where their mouth is and only allow in house developed engines in races. that solves that issue.

i do love that this article got posted today, which i'm sure they had on hold ready to go when Andretti got turned down

https://www.racefans.net/2024/01/31/f1s-largest-entry-announced-35-years-ago-today-had-twice-as-many-drivers-as-now/

F1’s largest entry, announced 35 years ago today, had twice as many drivers as now

Formula 1 was in a state of change 35 years ago. The explosive but expensive turbo era was over, and a new formula for normally aspirate engines encouraged a raft of new entrants.

When FISA (now the FIA) closed entries for the new season at the end of January, a record 40 cars had signed up. These were drawn from 21 teams in all, two putting forward single-car entries, as was allowed at the time.

The last of those – ironically named First – never made it to the start of the season. Nonetheless 39 cars, one shy of twice today’s entry, turned up for almost all of that years races.

There were three exceptions during the course of the year. AGS driver Philippe Streiff was badly injured in testing, suffering paralysis which ended his grand prix career, so the team only entered a single car for the season-opener.

Ferrari also turned up with just one car on two occasions. Gerhard Berger missed Monaco due to the burns he sustained in a fiery crash at Imola, but was back at the next round. Later in the season Nigel Mansell was banned from taking part in the Spanish Grand Prix after failing to observe a black flag during the previous round in Portugal.

Other drivers swapped teams over the course of the season, and a total of 47 different names appeared. With 39 cars vying for places on a 26-car grid, one-third would not get to start, and qualifying therefore took on far greater significance than today.

An opening ‘pre-qualifying’ session for up to 13 cars from the lowest-ranked teams based on their previous constructors championship positions was held at every round. At first these included the likes of Brabham, who hadn’t contested the 1988 season.

Only four cars progressed from pre-qualifying, meaning nine drivers’ weekends ended at that point. A further four dropped out at the end of the qualifying session. Some never made the cut at all: Aguri Suzuki turned up for all 16 rounds and never once pre-qualified his Zakspeed.

The prospects of F1 ever allowing a field as large as this again are beyond remote. At present it remains to be seen whether F1 will welcome Andretti as an 11th team, following the approval granted by the FIA last year. Even if that happens the grid will still be four cars short of capacity, so no one need worry about failing to qualify for a race, yet alone pre-qualify.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 8:28 AM, NoName said:

I caught the NASCAR street race in Chicago.  I thought it was a shit show.  Hopefully, F1 would go in a different direction there... be it a new venue or different route.

9 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

I caught the NASCAR street race in Chicago.  I thought it was a shit show.  Hopefully, F1 would go in a different direction there... be it a new venue or different route.

what a truly boring layout

image.thumb.png.2179f4c4f50e91894a93d8005f404f49.png

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, wood said:

Haas has been there since 2016 and iirc has come nowhere near a podium finish. Last year only 6 teams had podium finishes. I guess they all need to go, according to the logic being used to reject Andretti.

Another example: 

How exactly does it make sense to say that taking a customer engine for 2 years would 'damage F1's prestige and standing'? Aren't there 6 teams on the grid right now that have been taking customer engines for years and years?

Yeah, especially since he only wanted a customer engine until GM got theirs up and going. None of this makes sense. It's 10 teams desperately trying to keep anyone else from getting a piece of the pie.

6 minutes ago, faps said:

Why not make a new team run in F2 for a couple of years first? Find out if they have the capacity and can design a car and are serious.

nobody is paying $200m (or $600m) to race in F2

23 minutes ago, faps said:

Why not make a new team run in F2 for a couple of years first? Find out if they have the capacity and can design a car and are serious.

Not a bad idea, but F2 is spec. No designing your car. It's already designed.

Scott Mitchell is on the record now ...

They make some great points there. Some basic points for anyone who might not have the time to watch:

- It's not even F1's place as the CRH to say whether Andretti would be technically able to field a competitive car. That's the FIA's job, and the FIA approved them.

- Andretti is at no inherent disadvantage in terms of designing a future car, as rules dictate when all the teams can begin that process.

- They reiterate and stress the silliness of the cusomer engine argument, with Scott noting the many customer teams and the huge success McLaren is currently enjoying as a customer team.

- They rubbish the idea that the Andretti name brings nothing to F1, calling it ludicrous, saying it's certainly a much better-known name than Haas, VISA CashApp Racing RB, Stake, etc. It doesn't carry the weight of a Ferrari, but who does?

- Re: Andretti not bring any commercial added value to F1, he says the same could apply to easily half the current grid

- Re: lack of space at circuits, Scott notes that F1 now uses a garage for hospitality purposes, and they had still had enough room to house Brad Pitt's APXGP. (Look, we broke down the garage situation in detail earlier in the Autosport thread. That whole line of reasoning might be the stupidest and most easily refuted of all of the stupid nonsense they've trotted out there) In the video they actually broke out laughing about the idiocy of it.

- Says what I said earlier, that FOM  want to delay to the next CA so they can raise the dilution fee. Scott says the bit FOM says about 2028 could be FOM saying "If you don't sue us, there's a seat at the table for you in 2028".

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, wood said:

- Says what I said earlier, that FOM  want to delay to the next CA so they can raise the dilution fee. Scott says the bit FOM says about 2028 could be FOM saying "If you don't sue us, there's a seat at the table for you in 2028".

that would work great if he was a 40 year old zillionaire who was willing to wait.

have to think there is a non zero chance he isn't even alive in 2028 to start the process