Ohtani Signs $700m deal

redswingline

26 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

It's crazy.  Ohtani is at 70 mil a year.  The entire Oakland As roster is pay 43 million a year.  That's 27 million  a year more than an entire MLB roster.

Which has been purposely deflated down to that team salary because the owner wanted to get to Vegas.The Dodgers should not have to share revenue with a team like Oakland who has that payroll on purpose. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

So does this mean I can say he can have a smaller WAR since he’ll be only getting a paltry sum of 45-50 million with the deferred payments? I just want to make sure his contract is in line with his WAR because that is all that really matters. Gotta make sure he is not vastly overpaid.

/s

4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Edit button doesn’t sober one up it appears.  

anyways point being i hope Shohei understands what a 50m home looks like in Houston or Toronto vs one in LA.  You just get more for your money outside of California. 

Yeah he’s really missing out on a $50 million McMansion in a concrete mosquito infested 100 degree all summer swamp. I bet he loses sleep over it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, FartingMonk said:

It's crazy.  Ohtani is at 70 mil a year.  The entire Oakland As roster is pay 43 million a year.  That's 27 million  a year more than an entire MLB roster.

The A's were actually in the mix for Ohtani, it just hasn't been widely reported.  I heard they offered him $1 per year for 700 million years.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Yeah he’s really missing out on a $50 million McMansion in a concrete mosquito infested 100 degree all summer swamp. I bet he loses sleep over it. 

Mosquito infested? 

You must not know about late night fog machines. 

Edited by David Dennison
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

So does this mean I can say he can have a smaller WAR since he’ll be only getting a paltry sum of 45-50 million with the deferred payments? I just want to make sure his contract is in line with his WAR because that is all that really matters. Gotta make sure he is not vastly overpaid.

/s

Depending on whether or not he pitches again, I wouldn’t bet on him accumulating 50 WAR over the course of the deal anyway.

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Do you think the dodgers care more about the revenue he generates or his production?

Teams that want to win will pay what it takes to do so. You know the Dodgers care not one iota about what they are paying Ohtani. I honestly feel kinda sad for the killjoys that have spent the last 24 hours deriding this deal and focusing on stuff that does not matter to the Dodgers or any team trying to win. The analytics people that do their best to turn off fans to the sport will spend the rest of the winter mired in negativity about this deal when it’s neither their money nor their team. 

If Ohtani had asked for 80 million the Dodgers would have signed up for him. Some teams are trying to win. It does not always work out that spending gets titles (Exhibit A in The Bronx right now), but I will never give a team the business for paying for the best players. Good on LA for doing this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Teams that want to win will pay what it takes to do so. You know the Dodgers care not one iota about what they are paying Ohtani. I honestly feel kinda sad for the killjoys that have spent the last 24 hours deriding this deal and focusing on stuff that does not matter to the Dodgers or any team trying to win. The analytics people that do their best to turn off fans to the sport will spend the rest of the winter mired in negativity about this deal when it’s neither their money nor their team. 

If Ohtani had asked for 80 million the Dodgers would have signed up for him. Some teams are trying to win. It does not always work out that spending gets titles (Exhibit A in The Bronx right now), but I will never give a team the business for paying for the best players. Good on LA for doing this. 

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Edit button doesn’t sober one up it appears.  

anyways point being i hope Shohei understands what a 50m home looks like in Houston or Toronto vs one in LA.  You just get more for your money outside of California. 

When you’re making that much money, you can afford pretty much any house anywhere.  And I would take a $50mil house in Bel Air than a $50 mil house in Houston.  

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

When you’re making that much money, you can afford pretty much any house anywhere.  And I would take a $50mil house in Bel Air than a $50 mil house in Houston.  

I will just have to drive by them. Yes to Bel-Air though! Doesn’t seem to be Ohtani’s speed, but who knows. I gotta see him play at Chavez Ravine now though. Saw him several times in The Bronx. The first match-up with Masahiro Tanaka was incredible to watch a few years back.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 1

@YGIFS not in the least:

Most Spoken Languages in the World

1. English

Known as the official language of business, English is the most widely spoken language in the world, with the highest number of speakers, and the highest number of countries where it is spoken.

if Ohtani wants to transcend baseball and sport around the world, it behooves him to be literate in English.  Unless he has a dud personality.

Edited by CycleTex87

1 minute ago, CycleTex87 said:

@YGIFS not in the least:

1. English

Known as the official language of business, English is the most widely spoken language in the world, with the highest number of speakers, and the highest number of countries where it is spoken.

if Ohtani wants to transcend baseball and sport around the world, it behoves him to be literate in English.  Unless he has a dud personality.

Your knowledge of our language is inspiring.  Spell much?  

1/3rd of MLB players (just the majors, not even including MiLB) were not born in the United States.  Shit, most of the U.S. native players can't speak decent English.  Who gives a shit what language Ohtani speaks?  Not like it's limiting his earning capacity as evidenced by this contract amount.  

And thank you so goddamn much for letting me know that English is widely spoken around the world, I had no idea.  I bet you  even start holiday party conversations by letting people know the three languages that Olympic medal ceremonies are presented in and why.  Fascinating global traveler you are sir...

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

When all else fails (because you lack any actual positivity about anything) you go to a meme. Awesome. I honestly do feel bad for you and others who can’t enjoy life and sports. Maybe it was something your parents or someone else did or said to you to make you so sour. Therapists are good at sorting out attitudes and outlooks like the one you and many others share in common. Find a better way to enjoy sports or just keep being miserable. That’s up to you.

• Fuck You 3

4 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

When all else fails (because you lack any actual positivity about anything) you go to a meme. Awesome. I honestly do feel bad for you and others who can’t enjoy life and sports. Maybe it was something your parents or someone else did or said to you to make you so sour. Therapists are good at sorting out attitudes and outlooks like the one you and many others share in common. Find a better way to enjoy sports or just keep being miserable. That’s up to you.

I do enjoy life. And sports. I just happen to think that this contract won’t be worth it *on the field.* Sorry that simple difference of opinion somehow triggered you and resulted in bizarre armchair psychoanalysis.

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

@YGIFS not in the least:

1. English

if Ohtani wants to transcend baseball and sport around the world, it behoves him to be literate in English.  Unless he has a dud personality.

He’s not fluent but there’s vids of him out there speaking broken English. I’m sure he understands it even better. A lot of foreign players don’t do interviews in English out of fear of being misquoted so they leave it up to their PR-trained translators. I’m sure anything short of him pledging to never speak any non-English language again wouldn’t be good enough for you though. 

• Like 1

Stop being such a douchebag, westside. It's a discussion board where people can voice different opinions. Some of us think the contract is a risk, and we stated that. Nobody fucking cares how disappointed you are that not everybody agrees with you. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

And there’s one of the killjoys right there. What a terrible way to live.

A terrible way to live is hating on someone for getting the bag.  Happy for Shohei and the Dodgers

9 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

@YGIFS not in the least:

1. English

if Ohtani wants to transcend baseball and sport around the world, it behooves him to be literate in English.  Unless he has a dud personality.

He has 700m in personality. He’s won. 

Yeah, I’d gladly be unable to speak English and have a dud personality for $700mm.  I’m an illiterate dud now for significantly less cash.  

went down the rabbit hole last night on dodgers lineup.  I’m indifferent on them.  Never loved em or hated em as a Cubs fan. But he brings so much value to that starting pitching staff if he can stay healthy.  That staff is just filthy good but it reads that nobody on that roster can start more than 20 games or throw more than 150 innings to save their life.  As a 162 game aggregate; that’s fine.  But that’s a recipe for underachievement in the post season as they prove almost annually to lesser teams. 

18 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, I’d gladly be unable to speak English and have a dud personality for $700mm.  I’m an illiterate dud now for significantly less cash.  

went down the rabbit hole last night on dodgers lineup.  I’m indifferent on them.  Never loved em or hated em as a Cubs fan. But he brings so much value to that starting pitching staff if he can stay healthy.  That staff is just filthy good but it reads that nobody on that roster can start more than 20 games or throw more than 150 innings to save their life.  As a 162 game aggregate; that’s fine.  But that’s a recipe for underachievement in the post season as they prove almost annually to lesser teams. 

Quite a few Latin players seem to speak limited English as well. Curious if the issue is just Shohei or all fereigners who don’t speak English good?

Well to be fair to Cybertex, Ohtani did skip the line and emigrated to our country to steal 3, count 'em THREE, American jobs (DH, RHP, and OF if needed).  And the foreign bastard hasn't bothered to learn our language, and very likely came to our shores to fuck many many American women (possibly more than one at the same time!).  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Well to be fair to Cybertex, Ohtani did skip the line and emigrated to our country to steal 3, count 'em THREE, American jobs (DH, RHP, and OF if needed).  And the foreign bastard hasn't bothered to learn our language, and very likely came to our shores to fuck many many American women (possibly more than one at the same time!).  

Probably here for the free healthcare and you know he’s sending money back home to his parents , contributing to the Korean economy 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Probably closer parody than satire.  Cybertex had a couple of posts (quoted above) insinuating that Ohtani should learn English because it would be better for him 'business-wise.'  We're just running with it for two reasons:

1.  It's funny because of how much of MLB rosters are non-native English speakers and that still grates on some fans.  For $700mm, Ohtani can invent his own language and demand we all speak it, and I would.  

2.  It's the off-season.  Happy for the Rangers fans on here but for most of baseball's fanbase, it's a long time until February first pitch for Longhorn baseball.  We're just goofing around.  We're just a funny country.  We think of "Asians" as one, monolithic group of people despite pro athletes in the States coming from a huge swath of land from Turkey to Japan, from Northern Russia to Indonesia.  We think of "Latinos" as everybody Brown from San Antonio to Tierra del Fuego, but when it comes to baseball...suddenly we're geography experts and can name a dozen cities in the Dominican Republic.  

That's why I love this game though, along with soccer...it's what brings the world together.  About 2 years ago, can't remember the context.  But a foreign national student in my class at McCombs didn't like my baseball analogy to something in business.  Anyway, he asked why we call  it the "World Series" when all the teams are just from the United States and one from Toronto.  I said basically, "well, the teams are domiciled in just the U.S. (and Canada) but the best players come from all over the world, dozens of countries, and have done so for a century."  He pushes back, "Yes, but how can it be a World Series when all the games are played in just one country?"  Finally, I see we're going nowhere so I tried to use a baseball analogy.  "The players are drawn to the game, not the country.  Baseball is agnostic, it's borderline cruel actually.  It draws you in and breaks your heart.  Even when you get around the bases of life, and run for 'home', you still have to put on your glove, run back to your position, and get back to work."  

To this day, millions of people who don't know a word of English can still keep a scorecard using our alphabet and our system of field measurements (idiotic as it is) because the game never said it gave fuck one about what language you speak.  Watching Ohtani play this game is as exciting to me as walking out into Wrigley Field with my dad for the first time in the summer of 1979.  Borders divide us.  Baseball unites us.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/10/2023 at 7:58 AM, CycleTex87 said:

Maybe he can spend some of the money on Rosetta Stone and learn to speak English?

dude could probably buy the real Rosetta Stone at this point.  British Museum, right?

yes, he is an institution and there are ways to make some money back, but $70MM seems a little panic-y and bidding against themselves.

On 12/9/2023 at 3:04 PM, elfenix said:

So dumb for the angels not to trade him.

Arte Moreno's stubbornness. They should have traded him 2 years ago for a king's ransom and he refused believing the Angles were a contender. 

Angels really need to move Trout and just start over.

On 12/10/2023 at 1:47 PM, FartingMonk said:

It's crazy.  Ohtani is at 70 mil a year.  The entire Oakland Las Vegas As roster is pay 43 million a year.  That's 27 million  a year more than an entire MLB roster.

FIFY - going to be interesting to see how things change moving forward in Vegas.

1 hour ago, gyroprotagonist said:

dude could probably buy the real Rosetta Stone at this point.  British Museum, right?

yes, he is an institution and there are ways to make some money back, but $70MM seems a little panic-y and bidding against themselves.

I thought he was going to get $700 million and here we are. He's two top players at a single roster spot. Also, the Dodgers ditched some payroll last offseason with the clear intent of making this move. He needs to come back as dominant as a pitcher as he was before the injury in order for him to meet the contract value.