Ohtani Signs $700m deal

redswingline

37 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I've lived in SoCal 59 years, and I've hated the dodgers every minute of that, but, next season my ass will be at Chavez Ravine as often as I can get there.   @Sbbruin are they still talking about that gondola deal from Union Station?

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/story/2023-12-05/half-a-billion-thats-the-latest-price-for-a-gondola-to-dodger-stadium

The latest cost estimate for the gondola is almost as much as the Dodgers just signed Ohtani for.  So it will never get built, or get built for about the cost of an entire team of Ohtanis.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I've lived in SoCal 59 years, and I've hated the dodgers every minute of that, but, next season my ass will be at Chavez Ravine as often as I can get there.   @Sbbruin are they still talking about that gondola deal from Union Station?

Yeah but initial estimates are $500 mil.  And the easements needed to install it are going to be very hard to get.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I like the posters in here that think this is a negative for the Dodgers.

Seriously.

As long as he doesn't die or somehow become completely unable to play baseball over the next 10 years, he's going to make that organization a filthy amount of money.  And that's if they don't win shit.  If they do start to win rings?  Fuggitaboutit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

39 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Seriously.

As long as he doesn't die or somehow become completely unable to play baseball over the next 10 years, he's going to make that organization a filthy amount of money.  And that's if they don't win shit.  If they do start to win rings?  Fuggitaboutit.

Again, that's assuming he  resumes his ways as a dominant two way player. If he doesn't make it all the  way back as a pitcher, he's a career .274 hitter that averages 28 HRs a year. He won't be nearly the attraction he is now, and will be turning 30 next summer. Its a gamble that he can come back and pitch, and he probably can, but lets not pretend there isnt a certain amount of risk here. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Again, that's assuming he  resumes his ways as a dominant two way player. If he doesn't make it all the  way back as a pitcher, he's a career .274 hitter that averages 28 HRs a year. He won't be nearly the attraction he is now, and will be turning 30 next summer. Its a gamble that he can come back and pitch, and he probably can, but lets not pretend there isnt a certain amount of risk here. 

2nd TJ surgery and now will be on the wrong side of 30 once he can pitch again. And then who knows how effective he will be by then or how long he will last.

I read this could be paid out well over 10 years, something like the Bobby Bonilla deal. Maybe even around 40 years. No idea how much truth there is in that.

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

No, that ain't assuming shit other than he plays baseball.

Some of you guys don't seem to understand.  This dude is an institution.  They fucking play updates of his performances on the trains in Japan.  He's Messi, Lebron, and Tom Brady rolled into one for Japanese people.  That's an entire race of people who religiously follow one guy.  Hell, the sports media dudes from Japan were worried the Blue Jays were going to get him because it meant having to move their asses to Toronto because their full time jobs are Ohtani.  They have a camera at his games for Japanese TV that just stays on Ohtani the entire game.

Outside of the Japanese, you ask any sports fan in America who Ohtani is, they know.  Meanwhile, they couldn't name you three other guys in the league unless they specifically are fans of baseball.

This dude, as long as he suits up and takes the field will print money for the Dodgers.  He'd have to regress to an average MLB hitter plus not be able to pitch before Americans lost interest and the Japanese would still be on him 24/7.  And they've already said the money is going to be stretched out.  They aren't actually paying him $70 mill a year.  He's going to be collecting checks long after he's done with baseball.

Edited by SpiralOut
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

Ohtani's mystique is the two way nature of his game. If you look at just his batting WAR ratings, he's 3rd on the dodgers based on last year's numbers. I'll give you he's huge in Japan, but the US attn span is fickle. Pujols went from hero to zero in a few years and he was a far better offensive talent in STL than Ohtani has ever shown. If he doesn't pitch, that contract is a bust.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Here’s the takeaway:    Shohei is a derp After taxes agent fees hanger ons etc show how is gonna walk with maybe 285.  He could be with the Astros long bing in river oaks or alief with 500m.  If you that dumb stay in commifornia

Edited and this is still what you put down huh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, Blotto said:

See this is the thing.

If you want a dominant pitcher, you're out $40M a year.

If you want a dominant hitter, you're out $40M a year.

If you try to buy both, you're out $80M a year.

But here, you can get both with ONE Shohei Ohtani for ONLY $70M/yr. That's a 13% discount off of buying both players separately!

So really, the Dodgers are getting a steal, here.

15 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

The credit union I work at is the largest in our area (28,000 members) and our total assets are $550,000,000. He would have 150,000,000 AFTER buying 100% of it and that's only this contract and none of his outside baseball money.

Maybe he can spend some of the money on Rosetta Stone and learn to speak English?

• Fuck You 1

14 hours ago, Blotto said:

Financially? Zero risk. That contract will pay for itself and then some. Now baseball and CBT wise, yes def some risk 

2 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Maybe he can spend some of the money on Rosetta Stone and learn to speak English?

Why? Is there an English speaking policy with the Dodgers or MLB?

With that said he and other players using the service probably should learn since those translators are most likely not translating exactly what the players are saying. 

Edited by YChang

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Edit button doesn’t sober one up it appears.  

anyways point being i hope Shohei understands what a 50m home looks like in Houston or Toronto vs one in LA.  You just get more for your money outside of California. 

At that level does one really care?

4 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

I member when Tony Dorsett got a million dollar contract and was the highest paid player.  Not $1/MM a year, $1/MM total. 

We pulled silver from coinage in 1965. Back in 1964 the average salary was $6,600 and the MSRP on a Corvette was $4,400

Celebrating inflation is dumb

That Dodgers at Houston ticket just a lot pricier.  I want my daughters to see the guy play but we may have to wait a few years for the prices to cool down.  I'm looking at the Dodgers lineup but don't know who has been traded/signed elsewhere.  Any legit outlets that can project their lineup for next year?  I'm guessing, like Focker's portfolio, it's going to be strong to moderately strong.  Still wouldn't hurt Los Angeles to spend a few bucks to find 1 or 2 pitchers than can throw more than 140 innings in a season.  How the fuck do you use 17 starting pitchers in a modern season?