Official Sugar Bowl road trip thread

SubliminalHorn

Sat in 328c.  nice - club access, clean restrooms.

Sat with some cool horn fans and some former Washington football players who played for sark.  Good crew.  About 1 out of 8 Washington fans acted like they either got into the cocaine - Violently high fiving their wives at every little success.  First down costs your wife a sprained wrist.

Or they were football psychopaths that need counseling.  Saw wives trying to tell their husbands to stop drinking.  Adults - not 18 year olds.  I don’t know how you can get that faced drinking bud light but they did.

Otherwise was a cool experience except for the loss.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/31/2023 at 5:36 PM, IBuryPaul said:

So tonight, when you're hammered and need grease, head over to 148 Carondelet St, Brothers Food Mart. They're open all night.

Get a 12-piece of the best fried chicken you'll ever eat. Go to your room. Lay in bed with the box of chicken laying on your chest. Eat away and enjoy.

You'll love yourself, maybe literally, and feel guilty in the morning. You're welcome.  

o.jpg

Brothers chicken is the shit

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, Constant said:

What was an estimated crowd split? Had a hard time gauging that from the broadcast. 

I’d say 75/25 or so. Washington had their sections in the corner and that was pretty much it.

Edited by LonghornSean

I’m at the Comfort Inn in Matchitoches.  11 year old had to take a big old NO deuce.

Thanks for letting us use your bathroom - the truck stop was unsuitable for a young longhorn fan.

A photoessay of my day.

1.  Beignets at cafe du monde

2.  Made it to Lafayette many hours later after a stupid traffic jam in BR and a minor jam on the Atcha bridge.  Pulled up to my sammich place and W car was already there.  Kids wanted to steal the flag but cooler heads prevailed.

3.  Shrimp poboy for the road.

Awesome weekend with my family and longhorn friends.  I wish they had won but even with the loss - great memories.

Thanks to all that volunteered or worked toward masking sure Texas travels well and in style.

Hook ‘em y’all!

IMG_6688.jpeg

IMG_6689.jpeg

IMG_6690.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Oh, and somehow between NO and BR we broke a rear window on the car.  Rock flew up?  Gunfire?  Loud bang and Passenger rear window total spiderwebbed to hell.

I bet that’s $500 tomorrow.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Same

We wasted at least an hour before we even got to the bridge.  WTF?  How can you people not work together to merge - we should be able to do this at between 20 and 40 mph at least.

• Rage+1 1

On 1/2/2024 at 1:00 AM, CoTex said:

Sat in 328c.  nice - club access, clean restrooms.

Sat with some cool horn fans and some former Washington football players who played for sark.  Good crew.  About 1 out of 8 Washington fans acted like they either got into the cocaine - Violently high fiving their wives at every little success.  First down costs your wife a sprained wrist.

Or they were football psychopaths that need counseling.  Saw wives trying to tell their husbands to stop drinking.  Adults - not 18 year olds.  I don’t know how you can get that faced drinking bud light but they did.

Otherwise was a cool experience except for the loss.  

wife and daughter also were in 328c and that description matches exactly what they experienced. they couldnt stop talking about the coked up asshole in acid washed jeans sitting in front of them.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, marriedup said:

wife and daughter also were in 328c and that description matches exactly what they experienced. they couldnt stop talking about the coked up asshole in acid washed jeans sitting in front of them.

The wife and daughter sitting next to us were as cool as could be.  If it's your crew, your wife gave us "Quinning" buttons and your daughter has a pretty cool pair of boots.  They were the best neighbors we could have asked for - good people.

I'm the guy with the 11 year old from east Texas.  Cocaine Washington guy got lippy with my kid.  I missed it but your wife didn't, she was pissed off and got the burnt orange suite/section behind us on the bandwagon.  Then your daughter started calling the guy names including "bald guy."  

I thought it was pretty funny that husband/dad bought tickets in a Washington section and then made wife/daughter go sit there.  I like your style.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, CoTex said:

I’m at the Comfort Inn in Matchitoches.  11 year old had to take a big old NO deuce.

Thanks for letting us use your bathroom - the truck stop was unsuitable for a young longhorn fan.

And to think you were next door to the French Market Express.  Rookie move, dont let it happen again!

Great experience.  Got to town on gameday (sheesh, I cant get days straight this week) about 1.  Checked in to room at Marriott Warehouse district.  Quick shower, had a buddy flying in from ATL, met at Cochon Butcher for a bite, couple beers.  Went to the corner dive bar down from CB and had another beer and started getting our plan.  Uber to Saddlebar for a beer with a couple buddies.  All 4 of us walked to RItz lobby bar, outstanding idea for many reasons (ill let you figure it out).  Met up with 15-20 guys and pounded sliders, drinks flowing watched Rose Bowl kickoff ....their TV kept losing signal for some reason.  Left there and went to Walkons.  Line was out the ass, went around the side entrance slipped the dude manning the exit, $20, me and my buddy walked in and found some of our crew that had left the RItz.  The beers were huge, 18oz i believe.  Had one or two plus a shot, place was packed. 

Walked to the dome, saw kickoff, line getting in was long, but it moved.  Section 277 Row 1 , outstanding seats, leg rest , put our jackets on the rail, beers too until a cop showed up , no shit NOPD, and told us no beers on the ledge.  Probably had 2-3 large beers, got the last miller lite in my area about 3rd quarter or so.  Overall, great experience, walked back to Marriott , about 25 minute walk, got a beer at the bar, bed by 2:00.

Edited by jdhorn92

Leaving NO was a fucking disaster. Forever to check out, forever for car to get fetched, literally bumper to bumper til past the airport, several more areas of brake lights for days, Baton Rouge bullshit traffic as always...5 1/2 to get there, 9 to get back. Awful 

• Rage+1 1

Leaving NO was a fucking disaster. Forever to check out, forever for car to get fetched, literally bumper to bumper til past the airport, several more areas of brake lights for days, Baton Rouge bullshit traffic as always...5 1/2 to get there, 9 to get back. Awful 

Close to hurricane drive times. I was there in 05 for Katrina at the safety show. Houston was 18 hours.

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

People posted here about this. The combination of Texas Football, Sugar Bowl, New Orleans, New Years Weekend pointed to a massive clusterfuck Tuesday morning. No way I was gonna deal with an hour valet wait before a 500 mile road trip. We stayed in Metairie and we’re on the road before 10, had a 30 min (w/ lunch) slowdown/go around in BR (went by LSU). Ran into some rain an hour from Austin.  Not a bad day for us.

11 hours ago, bolverk said:

Sounds like a lot of y'all should've taken that alternate route through Morgan City.

I just drove 90 from Lafayette to Grand Isle a few months ago to fish, and there are numerous towns to go through.  I bet Waze would say hell to the naw on that route. 

10 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I just drove 90 from Lafayette to Grand Isle a few months ago to fish, and there are numerous towns to go through.  I bet Waze would say hell to the naw on that route. 

That route was discussed up-thread as a viable alternative if traffic was backed up in Baton Rouge. Yes, it's slower under normal circumstances but not that much.

According to Google, which owns Waze and incorporates its data, it's 33 minutes longer right now without the huge delays in Baton Rouge that people had to experience coming home.

image.thumb.png.5b0d442b2ac7aee4421522eb30fb3f39.png

We stayed an extra day and drove back yesterday. It was much easier than trying to leave on Tuesday. It was a fun trip. And so close to being a great trip. I look forward to doing it again next year with a different result. 

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Nope.  Not if you and thousands are bottled up in Red Stick. 90 can be quicker.   Low traffic day? - BR is faster.  Depends. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 12:24 PM, jdhorn92 said:

Great experience.  Got to town on gameday (sheesh, I cant get days straight this week) about 1.  Checked in to room at Marriott Warehouse district.  Quick shower, had a buddy flying in from ATL, met at Cochon Butcher for a bite, couple beers.  Went to the corner dive bar down from CB and had another beer and started getting our plan.  Uber to Saddlebar for a beer with a couple buddies.  All 4 of us walked to RItz lobby bar, outstanding idea for many reasons (ill let you figure it out).  Met up with 15-20 guys and pounded sliders, drinks flowing watched Rose Bowl kickoff ....their TV kept losing signal for some reason.  Left there and went to Walkons.  Line was out the ass, went around the side entrance slipped the dude manning the exit, $20, me and my buddy walked in and found some of our crew that had left the RItz.  The beers were huge, 18oz i believe.  Had one or two plus a shot, place was packed. 

Walked to the dome, saw kickoff, line getting in was long, but it moved.  Section 277 Row 1 , outstanding seats, leg rest , put our jackets on the rail, beers too until a cop showed up , no shit NOPD, and told us no beers on the ledge.  Probably had 2-3 large beers, got the last miller lite in my area about 3rd quarter or so.  Overall, great experience, walked back to Marriott , about 25 minute walk, got a beer at the bar, bed by 2:00.

Shoulda come to Manning’s haha 

• Hook 'Em 3