Texas vs TTU- 7pm on ESPN2

21 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

We beat a 15 seed and a 10 seed lol. We had a nice win against Xavier that we matched up well with. And then we fucking choked our ass off against a 4 seed Miami team lol. He took a Final 4 team to the elite 8. I wouldnt call that an amazing coaching performance. He won 1 game that we shouldve been expected to win (Xavier) and lost the other one (that we were favored in).

I’ll always hate myself for ordering a Cuban sandwich with about 12 min left in that Miami game…my bad fam 🥶🤘

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I cant think of any coach that we hired under such unique circumstances though. He gets 2 years and if he doesnt make a sweet 16, he is gone. 

Now that it's easier to quickly flip an inherited roster to make it your own, I don't know that ADs are always going to be as patient with underachieving coaches. Especially when the program has more NIL clout than most rivals. 

I get why Terry was hired. But let's just go back to when beard was hired. Was Terry a candidate?  No. He was not. Because he has never really done anything as a head coach. And he just isn't good enough to coach at this level. He was handed the keys to a Ferrari but had no idea how to drive a stick. 

• Hook 'Em 3

there is a reason Terry's 2 coaching stops for 10 years as a head coach are Fresno State and UTEP.   It is what it is.  As long as CDC is ready when it becomes obvious and has the checkbook out there is really nothing else we can do at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

he’s probably watching this game and crushing his beer cans in his hand, knowing that he’d likely be coaching a top 10 team at his alma mater right now had he not decided to date and stay with that horrible woman who is no longer even in his life. imagine *her* being your downfall.

You're not going to believe this. I didn't. But I've been told she's not exactly "no longer even in his life."

I'm just going to wait for Terry to run out the string. I like the guy on a personal level. I've never liked him as a coach. 

I'm still in favor of him being hired last year after taking the team to the Elite 8. It's not like we have a ton of those to boast about. But right after he was named the interim coach, him being successful was something I had mixed feelings about. I was told I was getting too far ahead of myself, which was true, but the scenario played out exactly how I envisioned it might. 

What are ya gonna do? I wasn't going to root against Texas simply so he wouldn't get the job. It was a magical season and now we're going to be consigned to something not special until he's fired and his replacement is found - which is also no sure thing. 

My biggest hope is that Beard has another meltdown at some point. Otherwise that guy is going to make me miserable with his future success. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

there is a reason Terry's 2 coaching stops for 10 years as a head coach are Fresno State and UTEP.   It is what it is.  As long as CDC is ready when it becomes obvious and has the checkbook out there is really nothing else we can do at this point.

So we're looking at April 2025 at the earliest?

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yep. I am on board for the ride but it's not looking good. We needed this game tonight.

That is one of the reasons I was in such angst as we were blowing that lead to Miami last season. The future was murky after Beard had us on the road to success. Sure would have been nice to have a Final Four at least.

Instead well, just have to hope Terry and the gang find something.

Yep.  Looks to me that Texas seriously lacks a point guard(s) to run the offense.  I don’t see that getting fixed this season with current players on this team.  

12 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

This was not a blowout loss, it was just an ordinary loss. Tech is a good team, not shitass. 

Yes, we probably aren't that great. This has been obvious for awhile. Need to turn it around if we are going to finish above .500 in the league. 

But aren't you one of those people who says stuff like "this team isn't even going a Regional, season over" everytime the Baseball team loses a game in February? And then that team ends up in Omaha? Maybe let a season play out man, see how things develop. Lots of basketball left to be played.

Double digits at home in the Big12 is a blowout loss. Especially to a mid tier team.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

You're not going to believe this. I didn't. But I've been told she's not exactly "no longer even in his life."

I'm just going to wait for Terry to run out the string. I like the guy on a personal level. I've never liked him as a coach. 

I'm still in favor of him being hired last year after taking the team to the Elite 8. It's not like we have a ton of those to boast about. But right after he was named the interim coach, him being successful was something I had mixed feelings about. I was told I was getting too far ahead of myself, which was true, but the scenario played out exactly how I envisioned it might. 

What are ya gonna do? I wasn't going to root against Texas simply so he wouldn't get the job. It was a magical season and now we're going to be consigned to something not special until he's fired and his replacement is found - which is also no sure thing. 

My biggest hope is that Beard has another meltdown at some point. Otherwise that guy is going to make me miserable with his future success. 

She’s not out of his life. You’re right. 

Edited by CTC2
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

So we're looking at April 2025 at the earliest?

yep, probably.  we don't do mid season firings.  we move to the SEC but if recruiting tanks.  My guess is CDC had a few guys on his list but they said no.  If he didn't have a list of 3 or 4 guys I'm ready to go with if my current head coach shits the bed(on or off the court) he's not the AD I think he is.

3 minutes ago, texastroubadour said:

I’d like to believe that if most (god forbid, all) of our home games stink with losses, CDC will act. Not many road wins ahead. 

good news is tix will be cheap shortly.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

yep, probably.  we don't do mid season firings.  we move to the SEC but if recruiting tanks.  My guess is CDC had a few guys on his list but they said no.  If he didn't have a list of 3 or 4 guys I'm ready to go with if my current head coach shits the bed(on or off the court) he's not the AD I think he is.

A couple of losses to Aggy should do it 

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

good news is tix will be cheap shortly.

Apparently they already were because from the sound of it, the place was half full of Tech fans

9 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

This is a great post.

Also, who the fuck are we gonna hire in 2 years?

7 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Yep.  Looks to me that Texas seriously lacks a point guard(s) to run the offense.  I don’t see that getting fixed this season with current players on this team.  

What do we need point guards for? We don’t run an offense.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

This is a great post.

Chris beard part deux electric Boogaloo! 

Edited by pops
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

I was 1000% on board with the hiring and was sure that with the players he retained plus the new additions that we’d be a Sweet 16 contender and as fun to watch as last year.

But I was wrong on all counts. There is zero chance that he’s the coach after next year. Zero

Hell if we go 4-whatever in conference play (which is entirely possible) he may actually agree to “mutually part ways….”

I took a lot of criticism last year for calling him a bad hire. Coach Terry caught lightning in a bottle last year with Beard's upperclassmen roster. It was a player-led team that just willed itself to wins after wins after adversity hit them in the middle of the season. I had a strong feeling that he would revert back to his mean coaching record once that roster was gone. 

Given that we just went to EE, I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't get at least 3 years, however painful that maybe. Then again, we seem more determined to having winning programs across the board these days, so who knows?

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

I took a lot of criticism last year for calling him a bad hire. Coach Terry caught lightning in a bottle last year with Beard's upperclassmen roster. It was a player-led team that just willed itself to wins after wins after adversity hit them in the middle of the season. I had a strong feeling that he would revert back to his mean coaching record once that roster was gone. 

Given that we just went to EE, I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't get at least 3 years, however painful that maybe. Then again, we seem more determined to having winning programs across the board these days, so who knows?

I have to believe the our multimillion dollar paid AD understands why we got to the E8 last year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

This is a great post.

I'm not even going to think about it until the writing is on the wall for Terry. Mostly I've just wanted to stay away from making a lot of negative posts. I'm a big volleyball fan these days. 

I'm very curious as to what collegiate athletics looks like in 2 years. I'm not concerned about us. But I am curious what the landscape is going to look like. We'll be at the top of the pyramid in terms of bringing resources to bear, but I feel like there are going to be more and more pressures on the cost of doing business that may start pricing other programs out of the market. 

And look, for the people who prefer to hope for the best, the season is hardly over. This game is a snapshot. Not a requiem. It dovetails with preconceived notions I have about Terry that goes back to his days as Barnes' assistant, but maybe I end up wrong about the guy after all.

I just think this is a clear example of someone getting Peter Principled. 

• Hook 'Em 3

37 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Isaacs will probably be kicked off the team by this time tomorrow but Tech don’t give a shit. 

still, the horns only have themselves to blame for losing. 

How much of the story have you actually read?

This was not a blowout loss, it was just an ordinary loss. Tech is a good team, not shitass. 
Yes, we probably aren't that great. This has been obvious for awhile. Need to turn it around if we are going to finish above .500 in the league. 
But aren't you one of those people who says stuff like "this team isn't even going a Regional, season over" everytime the Baseball team loses a game in February? And then that team ends up in Omaha? Maybe let a season play out man, see how things develop. Lots of basketball left to be played.

Ordinarily, these would all be legitimate points. But reality is that this team has played a total of three good-to-decent teams and was never a threat to win any of them.

This was one of a handful of “winnable” home conference games, all of which we HAVE to win to be .500 in conference and make the tournament. Now we’re going to have to beat a much better team than Tech in Austin….or beat a good team on the road.

Nothing that this team has done all year indicates that they can do either. It’s more likely they become disinterested and flame out to a 4 or 5 win conference season
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

Whoever it is we spend the first season excusing performances like this one because that’s just how our fan mind works. “Get his guys!” “His culture!” “His recruiting class!”

Year 1’s suck and we are going through our second one in 3 years and will probably get a 3rd one in 5 years down the road.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

I'm not even going to think about it until the writing is on the wall for Terry. Mostly I've just wanted to stay away from making a lot of negative posts. I'm a big volleyball fan these days. 

I'm very curious as to what collegiate athletics looks like in 2 years. I'm not concerned about us. But I am curious what the landscape is going to look like. We'll be at the top of the pyramid in terms of bringing resources to bear, but I feel like there are going to be more and more pressures on the cost of doing business that may start pricing other programs out of the market. 

And look, for the people who prefer to hope for the best, the season is hardly over. This game is a snapshot. Not a requiem. It dovetails with preconceived notions I have about Terry that goes back to his days as Barnes' assistant, but maybe I end up wrong about the guy after all.

I just think this is a clear example of someone getting Peter Principled. 

Still early but it’s looking more and more just like Tech’s hire of assistant Adams following Beard.

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

Don't know what the deal is with Hunter, but not getting anything inside either. Disu gets in foul trouble and Shedick can't do a fing thing. And on defense he moves so slow he's like a statue. Gonna be a long season.

Hunter lead the team with 20 points. Disu and Shedrick were playing against a legit 7 footer Washington. We just got handled by a better all around team. Agree it is going to be a long season.

Texas is 1-5 at home against tech the last 6 games. Not only that, at least 5 of the last 6 games at home against tech have sounded like tech home games. They have done something over there when it comes to tickets in Austin or they just go all in on away games in Austin because they don’t travel like that anywhere else (especially since the SEC move and us not playing them in anything anymore). That alone should keep CDC up at night. And then couple in the fact that CDC is a basketball guy? I bet he’s angry because i fucking am. 

RT is a great guy who is more like a university ambassador. That’s what his role should be. He’s great at that. And yes, we will have to wait another 1.5 years at minimum to find another coach. What’s even more annoying is the way tech just sliced and diced us on the offensive end. 

11 hours ago, texastroubadour said:

I can only imagine the jaybird contingent when KU comes to town. Ugh

We do not play God’s Gift in Austin this year, only in Lawrence. The refs will be slower that a Mississippi detective investigating the death of a Black man when it comes to getting a foul call on kansas. Prepare yourselves.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ask TCU if it is limited to Austin.

They actively market and promote their season tix and game packages in ( futile) attempts to impede the DFW Tech crowd.

Edited by slorch