NBA officials have got to be stopped

• 3 weeks later...

I can’t even watch the nba anymore, they don’t play defense and the refs are horrific. It’s a terrible product. Being a teenager in the 90’s was the basketball way better back then or were we just naive? I felt back then like anyone could win and I watched every game with hope but now I already know who’s gonna win or at least the top 4 teams. Getting old sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Deej said:

NBA basketball is hot garbage. 

Basketball officiating is hot garbage.  

Phantom fouls, super star fouls, ridiculous upgrades to flagrant, stupid technical fouls, anticipation fouls. 

Both college and NBA become ref shows, easily. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Having multiple 60+ and 70+ games in the span of like a week was pathetic. That's not good for the NBA imo. They have conditioned the players to think that every slight bit of contact should be a foul.

there have been four 70+ point games in the last 309 days. prior to that there had been four such games in the previous 58 years.

5 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I can’t even watch the nba anymore, they don’t play defense and the refs are horrific. It’s a terrible product. Being a teenager in the 90’s was the basketball way better back then or were we just naive? I felt back then like anyone could win and I watched every game with hope but now I already know who’s gonna win or at least the top 4 teams. Getting old sucks.

Adam Silver said "nah, son" to the 90's basketball you liked:

"There was a point, I believe, In the late 90s, when the game became too physical... from the aesthetic enjoyment of the game where it de-emphasized the particular skill a player had. Maybe it weighed too heavily on physicality where a big strong player could come in and prevent an incredibly skilled player from doing those kinds of things,” Silver said in his appearance on Kevin Garnett’s podcast entitled “KG Certified.”

• Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Hell it was way better less than a decade ago. Game 7 of the Cavs historic comeback against the Warriors was a defensive clinic on both sides.

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

there have been four 70+ point games in the last 309 days. prior to that there had been four such games in the previous 58 years.

Mitchell's 71 point game last year was with overtime, and iirc he scored 13 points in OT in that game. It's interesting that only 2 of the 70+ point individual games went to OT, and that most of them shot 20+ free throws. Luka's stands out of the group as it was incredibly efficient shooting all around compared to some of the others. 

The Dame 71 game a few weeks after Mitchell was a fucking joke, he was running up the score while the Blazers were up 20+ in the 4th, and the team purposely did not play defense to feed him more shots. 

Here's a list of all of them, kind of funny how many times Wilt did it. 

image.thumb.png.bb9ef095b063ecb9cf5a93bdd9b940bc.png

So outside of Wilt(it's crazy how many stats you have to just throw out/shrug your shoulders at and just say the word 'Wilt'), it should be about a once every ten years occurrence.

It becomes not special when it happens 4 times in 2 seasons. Something is up with that.

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Robinson’s was the last game of the year, and they were trying to get him the scoring title I believe. So not normal game flow. 

there was something about Kobe’s too, wasn’t there?

Yeah, Jalen Rose was guarding him. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 8

5 hours ago, BeardIP said:

Adam Silver said "nah, son" to the 90's basketball you liked:

"There was a point, I believe, In the late 90s, when the game became too physical... from the aesthetic enjoyment of the game where it de-emphasized the particular skill a player had. Maybe it weighed too heavily on physicality where a big strong player could come in and prevent an incredibly skilled player from doing those kinds of things,” Silver said in his appearance on Kevin Garnett’s podcast entitled “KG Certified.”

80's NBA rules them all.

• Hook 'Em 3

Position is meaningless. It's beyond stupid. Yet there are some posters on this very forum who believe charging should never be called.

It's almost as dumb as the "restricted area." Imagine some other sport, say football, where it was illegal to stand within 5 yards of your own goal. Or in soccer, if it were forbidden to have a goalkeeper. Just fucking asinine.

And don't give me that "player safety" angle. If a defender is in front of his own goal, you don't have a right to try and go through him to dunk the ball. If you do and fall awkwardly and crack your fucking head open, that's your own fault. And it's also an offensive foul.

Well, it should be.

And don't get me started on "carrying."

old-man-yells-at-cloud-yelling.gif

• Hook 'Em 4

22 hours ago, Kermit said:

Just for one season, bring back the 80’s rules. Let me watch someone punch Dillon Brooks in the face without consequences. 

I'd pay to be front row when Dillon Brooks tried to play stupid games with Charles Oakley

16 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Position is meaningless. It's beyond stupid. Yet there are some posters on this very forum who believe charging should never be called.

It's almost as dumb as the "restricted area." Imagine some other sport, say football, where it was illegal to stand within 5 yards of your own goal. Or in soccer, if it were forbidden to have a goalkeeper. Just fucking asinine.

And don't give me that "player safety" angle. If a defender is in front of his own goal, you don't have a right to try and go through him to dunk the ball. If you do and fall awkwardly and crack your fucking head open, that's your own fault. And it's also an offensive foul.

Well, it should be.

And don't get me started on "carrying."

old-man-yells-at-cloud-yelling.gif

I agree, the restricted area is unnecessary  and hurts defenses. So does the 3 second rule, which also isn't needed any more. If a tall guy wants to camp out down there, I say let them. 3 point shooters will make them pay if they won't come out to defend the 3. The amount of skilled shooters in the league now outweighs the benefit of an immobile 7 footer protecting the rim. Plus it would reduce foul calls, which would make the game flow better. 

I think they should remove the ability to move the ball down the court with a timeout. That also hurts defenses in the final 2 minutes and makes the game take a lot longer because the offense doesn't have to bring the ball up the court. I can't think of any other sport that allows you to change the position on the field with something like a timeout. Imagine the NFL getting a free 5 yards from a timeout, or in baseball getting a 2-0 count to start an at-bat, it would be ludicrous. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

So does the 3 second rule, which also isn't needed any more. If a tall guy wants to camp out down there, I say let them. 3 point shooters will make them pay if they won't come out to defend the 3.

Yeah, I don't think this is true. The problems with not having a 3 second rule aren't evident because we've had the rule forever now. I'm sure Wembanyama would love not having a 3 second violation. You could play like a reverse box-and-1 with him just eating everything that comes inside. 

On 1/30/2024 at 5:58 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

there was something about Kobe’s too, wasn’t there?

No. Kobe just lit their ass up for 4Qs.

The reason he got to 81 was because the game stayed close. He had a couple others I think where he put up 60 in 3Q but it was in blowouts. 

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah, I don't think this is true. The problems with not having a 3 second rule aren't evident because we've had the rule forever now. I'm sure Wembanyama would love not having a 3 second violation. You could play like a reverse box-and-1 with him just eating everything that comes inside. 

so let him.  there are too many teams now who can play 5 out and run PnRs all day.

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

No. Kobe just lit their ass up for 4Qs.

The reason he got to 81 was because the game stayed close. He had a couple others I think where he put up 60 in 3Q but it was in blowouts. 

Did they feed him in his last game or something?  Or am I just completely wrong about seeing a game where the goal was to get him as many points as possible?

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Did they feed him in his last game or something?  Or am I just completely wrong about seeing a game where the goal was to get him as many points as possible?

Yeah that was his last NBA game ever against the Jazz. He took like 50 shots to get to 60.

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

so let him.  there are too many teams now who can play 5 out and run PnRs all day.

I don't think we need to reinvent basketball. There is a reason things like the restricted area and 3 second rules exist. They just need to quit awarding so many charge calls and let more contact against ball-handlers and shooters go.

We know they can call it that way because they do it every season in the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't think we need to reinvent basketball. There is a reason things like the restricted area and 3 second rules exist. They just need to quit awarding so many charge calls and let more contact against ball-handlers and shooters go.

We know they can call it that way because they do it every season in the playoffs. 

Totally agree. If they called the playoffs like regular season, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Most of the games are played around the 105-110 point mark, which to me is the right balance between good offense and good defense.

This is remarkable, to me:

image.thumb.png.c74b75a7b24991af1fc1a833390cdd82.png

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

24 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Totally agree. If they called the playoffs like regular season, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Most of the games are played around the 105-110 point mark, which to me is the right balance between good offense and good defense.

This is remarkable, to me:

image.thumb.png.c74b75a7b24991af1fc1a833390cdd82.png

this has something to do with it also.

image.png.9ab6a62dc2d90cec266d6ee4c6b5a449.png

just saw the worst foul call i’ve seen in a minute (which is saying something), and it’s taking them three + minutes to review this BS. Lou Dort with the cleanest block of all time, and in fact dennis schroeder wraps his arm around dort and pulls him down, and yet it’s a foul on dort that they’re trying desperately to justify.

and you knew they wouldn’t overturn it. terrible. absolute horseshit. 

Edited by shadow_operative

There's some contact with the body, but it's really after the block. To me, that's a no call every time on an otherwise outstanding defensive play that gets fans out of their seats.

There used to be a lot of no calls, especially on block/charges. And it was okay. Incidental contact was allowed. A defender was allowed to try to make a defensive play by moving his feet and getting in front of the offensive player, and the offensive player was allowed to try to make an offensive play and get to the basket. He either made a shot or he didn't, and there was no whistle. The fans would boo for a second, but nobody got too bent out of shape and the game went on.

Now it seems like they have to blow their whistle every fucking time there's any contact. There was a certain understanding that the refs were going to let some of the shit go. I don't get why they can't go back to that. It's killing the game. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 9:48 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

There's some contact with the body, but it's really after the block. To me, that's a no call every time on an otherwise outstanding defensive play that gets fans out of their seats.

i don't like how they've expanded the strike zone, per se, of what constitutes a shooting foul-  from before the shot (on the gather step which is another thing that bothers me) all the way to the landing (which makes more sense to me). 

On 2/5/2024 at 9:48 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

There used to be a lot of no calls, especially on block/charges. And it was okay. Incidental contact was allowed. A defender was allowed to try to make a defensive play by moving his feet and getting in front of the offensive player, and the offensive player was allowed to try to make an offensive play and get to the basket. He either made a shot or he didn't, and there was no whistle. The fans would boo for a second, but nobody got too bent out of shape and the game went on.

Now it seems like they have to blow their whistle every fucking time there's any contact. There was a certain understanding that the refs were going to let some of the shit go. I don't get why they can't go back to that. It's killing the game. 

replay now controls the game instead of the refs.  replay has killed everything...and the soccerfication(Ginobli head snap FTW) from the Euro's.

I'd like to see a week of games where if you complain at all you get a T and there is no replay(except on things like OOB and 3 pointer or not).  not on common fouls.

The game is unwatchable really.  

• Hook 'Em 1