Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

46 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

btw theres nothing “weird” about this entire group of pollyanna RT kool aid drinkers all repeating the same totally bullshit party line over and over.

nm2

Edited by jimmyjazz

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Uh, I'm hoping he can defy the odds and get us to a high level . . . because then we'd be at a high level . . . which is kind of the goal, right?

No, no, no...the goal is obviously have one side or the other say "I told you so." That's true winning. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

What about his recruiting has you worried? He currently has the #9 HS class, pulled in a very good portal class, and convinced Disu, Mitchell, and Hunter to return for another season. Recruiting is the least thing I am worried about with Terry. We lost more talented players last season than we will this season, and will have a bigger group of program guys with multiple seasons returning as opposed to Anamewke and Cunningham as the only surefire guys returning from last year's roster.

Gerry thinks Texas should move on from Hunter and Mitchell to try to bring in more guys with upside offensively from the portal.

His roster build this year has been his biggest negative. If Tre Johnson is not outstanding next season, they may miss the tournament. 

Beard built an elite 8 roster in two seasons. RT will be starting over from scratch in his year 2

Edited by ChickenSandwich

I really don’t get why people have to be RT “Stans”

I’m a Texas fan and I want us to win every game. RT is the head coach so therefore I want him successful too 

• Hook 'Em 4

23 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I really don’t get why people have to be RT “Stans”

I’m a Texas fan and I want us to win every game. RT is the head coach so therefore I want him successful too 

I don’t think it’s anything about RT the person. I have found him to be super personable, upbeat and generally nice to be around.  I think the players and their families generally like him and I would never worry about him embarrassing the University (horns down not withstanding). 
I can just speak for myself and say that the lack of a real coaching search to test just who you might have been able to land before making a purely PR decision to hire a guy that had not had a lot of head coaching success, burned my ass. 
I have this belief (I’m sure several of you will point out how unrealistic this is) that the University of Texas should not have a head coach who has not demonstrated consistent head coaching success prior to coming.  Look at Coach Vic as an example.  He is a really good head coach as shown by where he has the program and what he did with Mississippi State prior to coming. 
It is true that my logic would have excluded Sark for example who, fingers crossed, seems to have what it takes.  But, hiring any coach is a crap shoot and playing the probabilities is my preferred way of minimizing risk. 
RT could very well become an elite coach. He’s not that right now hence my opinion that the University of Texas should have a head coach who is in effect learning on the job what it takes to be consistently successful.  It’s a skill set and it’s different from being an assistant. There is a learning curve which I just don’t have the patience for. 

Edited by CTC2

22 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

His roster build this year has been his biggest negative.

I don't know the details behind the two HS guys who bailed.  It seemed like they were all in on RT . . . and then they weren't.  Is that on him?

22 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Beard built an elite 8 roster in two seasons. RT will be starting over from scratch in his year 2

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit. With proper officiating--or at least a healthy Disu--that was a Final Four roster.

And that's not me stanning for Coach Choke-a-Bitch. Just want the record to reflect how good last year's team was ... and could've been.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/9/2024 at 10:16 PM, shadow_operative said:

•tourney every year

•regularly competitive for league title

•2-3 trips to the second weekend per decade

•at least one FF appearance 

•win the league multiple times

•consistently recruit either highly ranked classes or classes of guys who fit your specific style

•high level roster management- recruiting, transfer portal, NIL dealings, roster composition, etc

the thing is, if RT was an elite coach he would have done all of that by now, at other schools. i don’t care that he’s not elite. that’s not news. what i do care about is that two months ago we were barely in the top 50 of kenpom, we had our worst defense in a decade, and we had a shitty early conference run, and now we are no.21 in kenpom, our overall defense (if not our 3P defense) has improved, RT has figured out his best lineups, and that he has clearly done a good job of making in-season adjustments and has Texas on the upswing in march. that’s as much i could as of RT, and he’s done that. really nice job of addressing his teams issues mid season.

We got rid of the last dude that was as close as you can get to that description.

I'm talking (briefly) with RT, dude knows ball. He knows coaching. He knows the history of coaching and winning. I don't know if he's a great recruiter or not (or good enough). I don't know if he knows managing resources at a rich program... But he knows ball and coaching.

No, he's not Kelvin Sampson or Dantonio, but I think he can do well by us.

I'm ok with whatever this year turns. 

2 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

I don’t think it’s anything about RT the person. I have found him to be super personable, upbeat and generally nice to be around.  I think the players and their families generally like him and I would never worry about him embarrassing the University (horns down not withstanding). 
I can just speak for myself and say that the lack of a real coaching search to test just who you might have been able to land before making a purely PR decision to hire a guy that had not had a lot of head coaching success, burned my ass. 

OK, that's reasonable.  It also seems like your problem is with CDC and higher, not RT, but your posts here seem to indicate otherwise.  Perhaps I'm reading you wrong.

I mean, if I were (say) a Principal Engineer at General Electric and they offered me the VP-Eng role after the former dude flipped out and choked his wife, should I turn it down?  I don't think so, especially if I already have VP-Eng experience at multiple companies.  

Your problem is not with Rodney Terry.

8 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Wait, was that Lucky Charms? Why is she wasting Lucky Charms like that?

At least make it a bag of knockoff Malt-O-Meal Marshmallow Mateys.

We don’t buy that shit.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It seemed like they were all in on RT . . . and then they weren't.  Is that on him?

They were recruited by Beard and then they left to play semi-pro ball. 

They may or may not have still left if Beard stayed. 

Just now, ztejas said:

They were recruited by Beard and then they left to play semi-pro ball. 

They may or may not have still left if Beard stayed. 

I'm pretty sure I recall videos by both saying they were 100% locked in even after the season.

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm pretty sure I recall videos by both saying they were 100% locked in even after the season.

I don't understand what you're asking. They decided to not play college basketball. They may or may not have decided that if the HC they had initially signed up to play for didn't get canned halfway through the season. 

I don't hold it against RT at all, frankly, for losing either kid. He got a player in the transfer portal much better than either of them. I think he made a couple poor transfer evals and didn't properly evaluate guys like Mitchell and Hunter but that happens to everyone.

College basketball is just a bizarre fucking landscape right now.

FWIW - I have been outspokenly critical about the roster all season without saying anything about the lack of true freshman - because I don't think there's a lot RT could have done. 

Edited by ztejas

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I don't understand what you're asking.

I'm saying I thought they both said explicitly they were coming to play for Rodney Terry before they bailed, long after Beard was canned.  I don't think I'm imagining this.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm saying I thought they both said explicitly they were coming to play for Rodney Terry before they bailed, long after Beard was canned.  I don't think I'm imagining this.

They both reaffirmed their commitments when RT was named the head coach and bailed weeks later 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Js1 said:

They both reaffirmed their commitments when RT was named the head coach and bailed weeks later 

Gracias.  That's roughly what I recalled.  (Not that their reaffirmation was necessarily anything more valuable than the dreaded AD "vote of confidence" for a coach.)

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

It’s not that hard. One couldn’t academically qualify and the other took an offer to make more money than we were paying for NIL. 
It was not RT’s fault except that his lack of credentials was at least a talking point when weighing options. 

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yes, they said that.

My point is, who gives a shit what they said at any point. They were committed then they weren't and I'm not sure there's anything Terry could have done to get them to stay. 

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's just information by which we might gauge this "roster mismanagement" accusation levied against RT.

Obviously, if blue chips don't want to play for the guy, this will likely be revealed in short order.

Well - Abmas wanted to play for him and we didn't lose anyone to the portal. The 6th ranked senior and another 4 star are committed for next season. It's obviously still possible they decommit or in Tre Johnson's case go to the G League. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's just information by which we might gauge this "roster mismanagement" accusation levied against RT.

Obviously, if blue chips don't want to play for the guy, this will likely be revealed in short order.

It could be other things too like keeping Perryman on scholarship. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I graduated from UT. I root for our athletics programs and the coaches that lead the teams (unless they are pieces of shit). I also root for our school to do well academically and our professors to win awards. 

Unless Terry starts beating his wife or driving drunk around town I’ll continue to root for him and the basketball program. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Unless Terry starts beating his wife or driving drunk around town I’ll continue to root for him and the basketball program. 

ok but who in this forum is doing anything different? we have “reality check” out here going very hard in the paint to defend RT. who is his anti-RT counterpart? there is none.

i can’t name a single poster here who has been going out of their way to shit on him, to call for his firing, to root against him, nothing. all that ever happens is that some people make fact based posts about his record and performance, and that then gets twisted into this idea that we have people out here who hate RT and who want him to fail. these people don’t exist. nobody here has been going after RT. everyone here wants him to do well. what’s the issue?

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Im a very causal fan, but 20 wins at UT and in the Big 12 is far from shabby

whats the basketball NIL budget ? 

i would love for ut basketball to take the next step up

I’ll get my head bitten off again by closetojumping, but I’ve had several people who have reason to know tell me that it hasn’t been what most would think but apparently the Tito’s guy has it in better shape going forward. 
So, drink a lot of Tito’s. 

Edited by CTC2
  • Hook 'Em 1

you guys remember the fire shaka thread. you guys know what it actually looks like when people hate the coach and eagerly await his departure. nothing remotely close to that thread/those posts has taken place with RT.  there was a real deal anti-shaka crowd and those of us in that camp all wanted him gone asap, and we loudly voiced this opinion for years.

there is no real anti-RT crowd. there is one crowd who doesn’t think that he’s the right man for this job and who have been rightfully but not overly critical of him at times, and there is the pro-RT crowd who gets offended by these posts and who constantly insinuate that only a cynical, hateful, anti-RT person would ever say anything critical about the HC of Texas Hoops. those are the two factions. that’s it. 

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

there is no real anti-RT crowd. there is one crowd who doesn’t think that he’s the right man for this job and who have been rightfully but not overly critical of him at times, and there is the pro-RT crowd who gets offended by these posts and who constantly insinuate that only a cynical, hateful, anti-RT person would ever say anything critical about the HC of Texas Hoops. those are the two factions. that’s it. 

Wrong.

Derka seems to have trouble separating the man from the school. We are mostly pro-Texas. That extends to the head coach if he isn’t a bad person.

Not surprising coming from the guy who likes Barnes more than he likes Texas 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Js1 said:

Derka seems to have trouble separating the man from the school. We are mostly pro-Texas. That extends to the head coach if he isn’t a bad person.

Not surprising coming from the guy who likes Barnes more than he likes Texas 

i don’t even have a clue what you’re trying to say here, or what you’re responding to. what point are you trying to make here?

1 hour ago, CTC2 said:

I have this belief (I’m sure several of you will point out how unrealistic this is) that the University of Texas should not have a head coach who has not demonstrated consistent head coaching success prior to coming.  Look at Coach Vic as an example.  He is a really good head coach as shown by where he has the program and what he did with Mississippi State prior to coming. 
It is true that my logic would have excluded Sark for example who, fingers crossed, seems to have what it takes.  But, hiring any coach is a crap shoot and playing the probabilities is my preferred way of minimizing risk. 
RT could very well become an elite coach. He’s not that right now hence my opinion that the University of Texas should have a head coach who is in effect learning on the job what it takes to be consistently successful.  It’s a skill set and it’s different from being an assistant. There is a learning curve which I just don’t have the patience for. 

Bro... Have you seen how coaching 'searches' turn out around here?

The best we could hope for is a guy who stepped in and succeeded when the last coaching 'search' replaced the prior coaching search and then ended up walking out the door.

In a perfect world, I'm with you, go find the next great thing.

In the real world, that almost never works... Especially not here, because too many dollars are involved.

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

so who is it then? who are the people out here posting about RT the same way that many of us were posting about shaka? i haven’t seen them. 

Who said this?  Are you fucking serious?  NOBODY

and there is the pro-RT crowd who gets offended by these posts and who constantly insinuate that only a cynical, hateful, anti-RT person would ever say anything critical about the HC of Texas Hoops.

I don't think there's an anti-RT crowd. It's more that people get annoyed with the pro-Beard crowd that acts like he's the 2nd coming of Jesus. 

All Beard accomplished here as the actual coach was 1 NCAA tournament win and 0 Big 12 tournament wins. Something RT could realistically do better than in both his years at Texas. I think the annoyance comes from the pedestal Beard is put on when reality is he didn't accomplish anything more than RT has so far. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't think there's an anti-RT crowd. It's more that people get annoyed with the pro-Beard crowd that acts like he's the 2nd coming of Jesus. 

All Beard accomplished here as the actual coach was 1 NCAA tournament win and 0 Big 12 tournament wins. Something RT could realistically do better than in both his years at Texas. I think the annoyance comes from the pedestal Beard is put on when reality is he didn't accomplish anything more than RT has so far. 

Uh oh.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Bro... Have you seen how coaching 'searches' turn out around here?

The best we could hope for is a guy who stepped in and succeeded when the last coaching 'search' replaced the prior coaching search and then ended up walking out the door.

In a perfect world, I'm with you, go find the next great thing.

In the real world, that almost never works... Especially not here, because too many dollars are involved.

I’d argue that it was more risky to do what they did given the dollars involved. 
Did you go to any games this year and see the smattering of empty seats, the tech fans who got enough seats to be fairly loud and the decline in student interest?  They ended up lifting the Big Ticket requirement for students just to get the Coral full at the end of the season. 
I would also say that the coaching searches that brought you Sark, Vic the softball guy worked out pretty good. I’d include Beard because on paper it was a great hire at least up until drunk Randy upset the wives of some important people at MSG after which she was banned from UT events. 

Edited by CTC2

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

His roster build this year has been his biggest negative. If Tre Johnson is not outstanding next season, they may miss the tournament. 

Was Beard's roster elite in year one? Who talked him into recruiting Rice, because it wasn't Beard that identified him.

He had to build an entire roster from scratch due to shitty recruiting his boss did. The only two HS kids on this roster Beard brought in and stayed more than 1 season were Anamewke and Mitchell, and everyone considered Mitchell a one and done when he signed with Texas. You aren't building continued success having to replace your roster every year, and yet Terry brought in a roster that by every metric was top 20-25.

I am sorry you disagreed with a portal class that was in top 10 and he also brought in two HS kids after the Holland and Johnson bailed (hint, they would have also bailed on Beard). Was the roster perfect, nope. Likely returning players include Weaver and Shedrick. That is already a better start than what was waiting after the Miami loss. He's bringing in the #9 freshmen class and has 3-4 other guys returning. It's much easier to target portal needs when they are specific as opposed to an entire rotation and sometimes the portal players don't work out, Look at KU with Morris and Dickinson, both were complete busts for different reasons.

Edited by HtownHorn

shaka was fake and a one hit wonder.  The hire was a pure coinflip and made by an AD who was by and large an idiot. 

Terry doesn't appear to be like that at all.  he is likeable and is supposed to be able to recruit.  my problem is he never really proved to be a great head coach at his previous stops and we basically hired him under duress/unusual circumstances.  

he's made the tournament and will be in the top half of the bracket.  pretty good comeback when it looked dire 2 months ago.  I feel Terry is another coinflip but he's not a feel good new age word salad dude so hopefully he lands on the right side.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

All Beard accomplished here as the actual coach was 1 NCAA tournament win and 0 Big 12 tournament wins

nope. not even close. he accomplished so much more than “1 NCAA tournament win and 0 Big 12 tournament wins”. for one, i’ve been to as many/more UT home games as anyone here, and chris beard transformed our basketball atmosphere and culture overnight. what he did with our students, and blue hairs, and season ticket holders, and his work with the athletic department and on campus to create a world class environment was remarkable. there isn’t another coach in america who could have done what he did in that department. he is one of a kind when it comes to buy-in and excitement.

as for what eles he did, im not even going to keep going very much further about what he did with the bombed out and depleted roster he inherited which ended up being no.1 in kenpom 18 months later, because at this point you either understand why chris beard was special or you don’t. it goes so far beyond the product on the court. he is absolutely a special coach, and everything that he did at UALR, TTU, and Texas proves that. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

butt beard is different !

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

It's almost as if building a roster and coaching said roster were different things

He built the roster in year 1 that won 1 NCAA tournament game and 0 Big 12 tournament games. 

It's amusing people are willing to give Beard the benefit of the doubt that he would have won a Big 12 tournament title/made an Elite 8 in year 2 while not questioning the roster he built in his first year. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 2

also, our feelings about beard are not based solely on his short time at Texas. his entire career as a HC he has been on a directly upward trajectory, the likes of which reflect those of other elite coaches. every single stop he’s made he’s been elite, and he’s done so very very quickly. everything about his resume points to him being a wildly successful coach at Texas for 2-3 decades. if you really don’t get why so many of us are bummed out about losing out on him after just 18 months on the job then i have no idea what to tell you.