Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The funny thing is we aren't even giving RT some huge compliment here. We are just saying it was smart to force a bad 3 point shooting team to shoot 3s. Somehow, there are some people that can't even give RT this level of praise. 

He did his job properly and scouted and schemed. WOW HE GOT SO LUCKY

• Haha 4

I'd be down for RT to follow the Tom Izzo seasonal game plan of average to above average (with some great, sprinkled in) regular seasons with disproportionate tournament success.

Not that's he's Tom Izzo (who might be the best tournament coach in modern basketball), but that sounds better to me than the inverse; a la Barnes, Shaka, etc.

Keep proving us wrong, RT!

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

CSU shot poorly because Texas forced them to shoot 3s which is their weakness. 

I don't know how this is a negative in the context of RT. It was a damn good defensive gameplan to keep CSU out of the paint (top 10 in 2P%) and force CSU to shoot 3s (#224 in 3P%). 

Exactly. It was literally the coaching scheme (plus the players executing) that held CSU to such a low score and shooting percentage.

We fired Chris Beard, because he was too fucking stupid to keep on the staff. But he did lose his last two games of the Old Miss season to powerhouse A&M, and got a contract extension, just the other day.

We ran off Shaka smart who avoided a formal firing, by staying a step ahead of the disgruntled.  He is a #2 seed with Marquette today.

Before Shaka, we fired Rick Barnes after 17 years for going 20-14 and losing in the first round of the NCAA tourney.  He is a #2 seed with Tennessee, and crushed it yesterday.

This years team is an enigma.  Plays some of the greatest basketball I have seen, followed by some of the crappiest basketball I have seen, and that's often in the same game.  We did not play well yesterday.  Disu and Abmas might as well have been freshmen subs coming off the bench, for their contributions.  Never good when your best players are sucking.  But we got past it, and now we will face our former coach Rick Barnes tomorrow night.  

It will be a good barometer of the team Saturday.  I expect, Tennessee to beat us, and perhaps soundly.  If Abmas can only make 5-15 FG, 1-6 threes, and con only make 1 of 3 free throws, we get drilled.  If Disu goes 5-18 FG, 0-6 threes and makes 2 of 3 free throws, we get drilled.  But let me ask this, would anybody here have bet me $100, or $1000 that Disu and Abmas would only contribute a total of 26 points last night?   Christ that first few minutes was simply painful to watch as the shots were just crap for both of them. 

Good news is our defense was stifling.  But it's not going to be at all easy to get past Barnes.  And in Terry's defense, it's hard to fucking scheme offensively when your normal go to players can barely hit the fucking rim.  The best thing I think Terry did coaching besides his general defensive scheme was calling time out at the end of the first half and setting p Abmas for the 3 pointer, simply to try to give him some confidence. That was his only 3 of the game. Wait... the ONLY three of the game.

I did not have Texas going past Tennessee on my bracket, but hoping and paying that the yips from last night, become the at least reasonable shooting that Disu, Abmas and Terry all expect on game day.  We played like shit, and we still moved on.  In a tournament, moving on is all that counts.  But it's hard when one of your best guys is sucking, extra hard when your two best guys are sucking.  But you have to tip your hat to guys like Hunter and Weaver who tried their best to make good things happen.  We made ONE FUCKING 3 POINT SHOT THE WHOLE FUCKING GAME! That in and of itself is mind blowing.

Terry's seat is unquestionably getting hotter.  And there is no question that he has not had the success overall that either Barnes or Shaka have had in their careers. But I am rooting for the guy, for multiple reasons.  I hope like hell that we can play one of our best games of the season, and get past Tennessee.  As that is what it's going to take, probably our best game of the season.

Hook'em!

Edited by horn4life

2 minutes ago, horn4life said:

We fired Chris Beard, because he was too fucking stupid to keep on the staff. But he did lose his last two games of the Old Miss season to powerhouse A&M, and got a contract extension, just the other day.

We ran off Shaka smart who avoided a formal firing, by staying a step ahead of the disgruntled.  He is a #2 seed with Marquette today.

Before Shaka, we fired Rick Barnes after 17 years for going 20-14 and losing in the first round of the NCAA tourney.  He is a #2 seed with Tennessee, and crushed it yesterday.

This years team is an enigma.  Plays some of the greatest basketball I have seen, followed by some of the crappiest basketball I have seen, and that's often in the same game.  We did not play well yesterday.  Disu and Abmas might as well have been freshmen subs coming off the bench, for their contributions.  Never good when your best players are sucking.  But we got past it, and now we will face our former coach Rick Barnes tomorrow night.  

It will be a good barometer of the team Saturday.  I expect, Tennessee to beat us, and perhaps soundly.  If Abmas can only make 5-15 FG, 1-6 threes, and con only make 1 of 3 free throws, we get drilled.  If Disu goes 5-18 FG, 0-6 threes and makes 2 of 3 free throws, we get drilled.  But let me ask this, would anybody here have bet me $100, or $1000 that Disu and Abmas would only contribute a total of 26 points last night?   Christ that first few minutes was simply painful to watch as the shots were just crap for both of them. 

Good news is our defense was stifling.  But it's not going to be at all easy to get past Barnes.  And in Terry's defense, it's hard to fucking scheme offensively when your normal go to players can barely hit the fucking rim.  The best thing I think Terry did coaching besides his general defensive scheme was calling time out at the end of the first half and setting p Abmas for the 3 pointer, simply to try to give him some confidence. That was his only 3 of the game.

I did not have Texas going past Tennessee on my bracket, but hoping and paying that the yips from last night, become the at least reasonable shooting that Disu, Abmas and Terry all expect on game day.  We played like shit, and we still moved on.  In a tournament, moving on is all that counts.  But it's hard when one of your best guys is sucking, extra hard when your two best guys are sucking.  But you have to tip your hat to guys like Hunter and Weaver who tried their best to make good things happen.  We made ONE FUCKING 3 POINT SHOT THE WHOLE FUCKING GAME! That in and of itself is mind blowing.

Terry's seat is unquestionably getting hotter.  And there is no question that he has not had the success overall that either Barnes or Shaka have had in their careers. But I am rooting for the guy, for multiple reasons.  I hope like hell that we can play one of our best games of the season, and get past Tennessee.  As that is what it's going to take, probably our best game of the season.

Hook'em!

1. Shit, I started this thread, but I disagree that Terry's seat is getting hotter.

Year 1: Elite 8 (Yeah, I know, there are questions about how much credit he gets here)

Year 2: Round of 32 (at least, but probably ends here)

Those aren't tournament results that make a coach's seat hotter.

2. I wholeheartedly agree with the second bolded group of text.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Good news is our defense was stifling.  But it's not going to be at all easy to get past Barnes.  And in Terry's defense, it's hard to fucking scheme offensively when your normal go to players can barely hit the fucking rim.  The best thing I think Terry did coaching besides his general defensive scheme was calling time out at the end of the first half and setting p Abmas for the 3 pointer, simply to try to give him some confidence. That was his only 3 of the game. Wait... the ONLY three of the game.

Hook'em!

Muthafuckers are delusional.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, MuellerHorn said:

1. Shit, I started this thread, but I disagree that Terry's seat is getting hotter.

Year 1: Elite 8 (Yeah, I know, there are questions about how much credit he gets here)

Year 2: Round of 32 (at least, but probably ends here)

Those aren't tournament results that make a coach's seat hotter.

2. I wholeheartedly agree with the second bolded group of text.

I honestly hope it's not "getting hotter" but I also point out that we have gotten rid of some coaches with pretty impressive teams this march madness, to try and give some perspective.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Considering RT's predecessors have 1 NCAAT win at Texas from 2014 to 2022, his seat is not getting "hotter." 

RT has 4 NCAAT wins as the HC at Texas.  

RT has as many tournament wins in 2 seasons as we did from '09-'22. 

I have no clue if RT is the right guy for the job but anybody that thinks his seat is hot is clueless. He's getting 3 more years here at a minimum unless he decides to go Chris Beard. 

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, horn4life said:

We made ONE FUCKING 3 POINT SHOT THE WHOLE FUCKING GAME! That in and of itself is mind blowing.

Yup.  Just an average game from the arc would have turned it into a blowout.  We average 7.2 3-pointers per game.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yup.  Just an average game from the arc would have turned it into a blowout.  We average 7.2 3-pointers per game.

The thing is this isn't even a negative IMO. 

We only made 1 three but we also didn't jack a bunch of 3s. We lost NCAA tournament games with Shaka because we would jack 3s on nights we weren't shooting well. We outscored CSU 30-18 in the paint because we made it a priority to get the ball inside on a night we couldn't make anything from deep. 

I know some don't like to admit it but it was a good coaching job by RT last night. Under Shaka, we would have shot 25 threes last night and likely lost. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

With Chris Beards players

Can only play with the hand you're dealt.  He had to keep the team together, scheme opponents, decide rotations, run practices.  Unfortunately, a bad luck injury to DD and a bad call on Brock ended our run or he takes this team to the Final Four. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It works the other way.   They had it down to 6 shooting below their average % from 3.  If they just shoot their average % from 3 it's a one possession game late in the game.  Not to mention all their stupid turnovers.

its not bagging on RT to say they had to play poorly for us to win while still playing poorly.   And saying that doesn't mean we hate RT and want him to fail. 

Edited by ClubWhatever

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

It works the other way.   They had it down to 6 shooting below their average % from 3.  If they just shoot their average % from 3 it's a one possession game late in the game.  Not to mention all their stupid turnovers.

its not bagging on RT to say they had to play poorly for us to win while still playing poorly.   And saying that doesn't mean we hate RT and want him to fail. 

I think this can see saw back and forth in every sports situation.  If Craig Ehlo had Dominique Wilkins vertical maybe MJ doesn’t hit that shot?  If Disu plays against Miami maybe we’re in the final four?

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The thing is this isn't even a negative IMO. 

We only made 1 three but we also didn't jack a bunch of 3s. We lost NCAA tournament games with Shaka because we would jack 3s on nights we weren't shooting well. We outscored CSU 30-18 in the paint because we made it a priority to get the ball inside on a night we couldn't make anything from deep. 

I know some don't like to admit it but it was a good coaching job by RT last night. Under Shaka, we would have shot 25 threes last night and likely lost. 

Well, we attempted 14 and usually attempt 20, so it's true it helped keep CSU at bay by limiting 3 point attempts, but it's not like we were WAY down on attempts.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, we attempted 14 and usually attempt 20, so it's true it helped keep CSU at bay by limiting 3 point attempts, but it's not like we were WAY down on attempts.

True but 6 or 7 fewer attempts is pretty significant in the context of a game like this. 

The key stat was 0 transition points for CSU. Not bricking 3s and getting the ball inside more is what prevented them from getting out in transition.

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Considering RT's predecessors have 1 NCAAT win at Texas from 2014 to 2022, his seat is not getting "hotter." 

RT has 4 NCAAT wins as the HC at Texas.  

Matching the 4 wins by Smart/Barnes the previous 14 years..fuck!!!

39 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

It works the other way.   They had it down to 6 shooting below their average % from 3.  If they just shoot their average % from 3 it's a one possession game late in the game. 

If they shoot their season average from 3 they go from 6 makes to 8 makes. If Texas shoots our season average from 3 we go from 1 make to 5 makes. 

I don't think you're making the point you think you are. 

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

They made the same TOs against Virginia. It was one of the things that was interesting to me even when CSU was blowing Virginia out. Hunter, Weaver, and Horton played extreme ball pressure and ball denial defense. When you take the ball out of Stevens' hands, you force other players that are not capable of making plays to make plays conistently.

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

If they shoot their season average from 3 they go from 6 makes to 8 makes. If Texas shoots our season average from 3 we go from 1 make to 5 makes. 

Actually, we average 7.2 3-pointers per game (238 over 33 games).

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Actually, we average 7.2 3-pointers per game (238 over 33 games).

If we shoot our season average % on the amount of attempts we took last night we make ~5 of them. 

22 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

But it is year 2 and he already has 4 tournament wins??

Was he under contract to be the HC last season, or is this year one of his contract to be the HC at Texas? Surly you aren't implying that Beard actually coached Texas to the EE last season?

Edited by HtownHorn

From Gerry.

Last three NCAA Tournaments with a Round of 64 win:

Kansas (17 in a row)

Creighton (4 in a row) 

Gonzaga

Tennessee 

Michigan State 

Baylor (have three in a row going into today)

Houston (have three in a row going into today) 

Auburn (trying for third in a row today) 

Texas (two different coaches)

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Was he under contract to be the HC last season, or is this year one of his contract to be the HC at Texas? Surly you aren't implying that Beard actually coached Texas to the EE last season?

I'm so confused, he wasn't under contract to be the Head Coach last season so it doesn't count and this is his first year, butttt he also "coached" the team to the EE and 3 tourney wins as head coach last season

make up your mind

Just now, ChickenSandwich said:

I'm so confused, he wasn't under contract to be the Head Coach last season so it doesn't count and this is his first year, butttt he also "coached" the team to the EE and 3 tourney wins as head coach last season

make up your mind

Yes. That is how it works. I am not surprised you are confused. Simple tasks in life are probably difficult for you to complete consistently.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

With Chris Beards players

😂

Aßmas is one of Beard’s players?

Weaver is one of Beard’s player?

Shedrick is one of Beard’s player?

Horton is one of Beard’s player?

Cunningham is one of Beard’s player?

Did you eat a shit-for-brains breakfast sandwich this morning?

What in the hell are you even talking about?

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

😂

Think he’s talking about the 3 wins last year 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Nope. Disu, Hunter,Mitchell, etc those are Beards guys!!!!

Q: “Who are 3 players who couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn against Colorado State, Alex?”

A.T.: “Correct for $400.”

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

None. You don't worry about extensions after the 1st season.

Tell that to Old Miss.  When you head coach loses the last two to A&M, and gets a contract extension.  Maybe it was "automatic" if he got past his double secret probation and stayed out of jail.  

I think it's funny that so many folks think that talent alone wins games. And that somehow a former head coach who shit the bed, now two years removed, was the "real reason" for winning under Terry.  But hey, a lot of folks have never coached a game in their lives.  So I understand their confusion! 

And judge the opinions accordingly.  

40 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

😂

He’s trolling.