Laundry service recs?

3 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

I can afford it. I hate it almost as much as grocery shopping, which I also outsource. 

Ain’t gonna lie, I get groceries delivered, or on occasion do a curbside pickup if I’m already out. 

Saves my time, someone needs a job, and I really hate shopping.

Once covid hit, I gave into delivery and haven’t went back.

Also, a housekeeper coming a couple times a week and doing most of the household chores may not be a terrible idea. With proper vetting and safety measures of course. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Seems like more of a pain in the ass to schedule verse doing it yourself. Unless you don’t have a washer/dryer. Then I understand

Housekeeper isn’t a bad idea. But I hate dealing with them so when they come those are my days to go into the office. Wife can deal with them

I hate appointments I guess. And people in general

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Looking for a service which will pick up and deliver all my filthy clothing and other sundries.

I've seen  a Laundry 2U van around but wanted to get the Surly opinions first.

I'm not sure about a laundry service, but Neikea surely has some good deals on clothes, if you just want to get some semi-new stuff when yours get filthy.

• Haha 1

Most laundrymats offer the service.  3putt is right about the charge.  A full average sized laundry basket is going to be somewhere between 10 and 20 pounds.  So it’s going to cost you $10-$30 per basket depending on how full it is.  I did it for a while and found I hate running errands to drop off and pick up even more than I hate doing laundry.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, EastHorn said:

I was in a similar bind a few years ago and got a normal electric washer that can drain into a sink.  It is small but at least you can clean the basics whenever you want.  

that washer doesn't sound "normal".

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, EastHorn said:

I was in a similar bind a few years ago and got a normal electric washer that can drain into a sink.  It is small but at least you can clean the basics whenever you want.  

Although he said he would really prefer to not fuck with it at all, it would be an option. I have one I use to make hash. 😂

Edited by thunderlounge
  • Hook 'Em 1

My wife asked for laundry service for Xmas.  FWIW, I do my own laundry; she takes care of her laundry and both kids.  I believe we sent in about 10-12 bags.  The cost was $350 including tip.  I guess it was worth it; however, instead of having my wife's closet full of unwashed clothes, we now have a room full of washed and neatly folded clothes at the foot of the bed.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

My wife asked for laundry service for Xmas.  FWIW, I do my own laundry; she takes care of her laundry and both kids.  I believe we sent in about 10-12 bags.  The cost was $350 including tip.  I guess it was worth it; however, instead of having my wife's closet full of unwashed clothes, we now have a room full of washed and neatly folded clothes at the foot of the bed.  

This doesn't surprise me at all. I bet most families would do the same thing. There is no way that $350 is worth it on a continuous basis - at that point just get a maid.

• Hook 'Em 1

Our maid comes every other week, charges $150, does a decent enough job cleaning the house and does the laundry.  There’s only two of us, so if you have a bunch of rugrats running around your laundry burden might be too much for her, but she shows up after she drops her kids off at school and leaves in time to pick them up.  She generally gets it done in that timeframe, occasionally we have to take the last load out of the dryer.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 11:10 AM, BearSchlong said:

Laundry service at the local laundromat was awesome when I was living in a garage apartment during my divorce. Drop-off and pickup was easy.

Yep. That's what I did the other day. $100 for dry cleaning and $100 for everything else. This will keep me for 2 months so a good deal IMO. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/11/2024 at 11:46 AM, MissingInAction said:

Yep. That's what I did the other day. $100 for dry cleaning and $100 for everything else. This will keep me for 2 months so a good deal IMO. 

I have at best 3 weeks of underwear / socks depending on how much I work out / activity level. How the fuck can you go 2 months and only spend $100 with what I assume also includes some shirts, towels, pants that don’t need dry cleaning. Do you wear a pair, then reverse them, then flip them inside out, then reverse them again?

24 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

I have at best 3 weeks of underwear / socks depending on how much I work out / activity level. How the fuck can you go 2 months and only spend $100 with what I assume also includes some shirts, towels, pants that don’t need dry cleaning. Do you wear a pair, then reverse them, then flip them inside out, then reverse them again?

I work from home so I dont go through laundry as I would having to show up at an office every day.