Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

I-Land is.....not great. The concept is good but the acting, for the most part, is bad.

It’s only seven 38-44 minute episodes so it’s not a huge time investment. It’s not a terrible watch for a lazy afternoon.

If there’s nothing else to watch and you aren’t expecting “The Wire” or anything.

I just recently read the article the series “Unbelievable” is based on and it gives a lot more of the background on the technical/“boring” aspects of how the two female cops linked all the crimes together.

I put boring in quotes because that stuff probably doesn’t translate well into film but I find it super interesting.

And if you find the story of Marie Adler depressing in the series, her story in the article will leave you crushed.

https://www.propublica.org/article/false-rape-accusations-an-unbelievable-story

It’s a long read but totally worth it. It won the Pulitzer Prize. And those lady cops are certified badasses.

I posted up thread about I-Land.

It’s not great. The story itself has promise but the acting is terrible.

It’s only 7 episodes and the episodes are only 38-45 minutes long so it’s not a huge time investment.

If you’re looking for something mindless on a boring rainy day and you’ve literally watched everything else, it’s worth a watch.

And that’s my ringing endorsement lol.

On 9/17/2019 at 11:42 AM, Celery Man said:

Been discussed but Money Heist is great.

I feel like a simpleton or something for not understanding the appeal of these exaggerated dubbed shows, but I just can't do it. Am I missing out on some sort of TV or movie making art that I don't get or is it just that easy for other people to look past? Is it just easier or better to watch than reading subtitles or is it something else? I'm genuinely curious about this. 

On 9/17/2019 at 6:13 PM, Mojo Hand said:

Unbelievable is really fucking good.   Some depressing stuff, but good police investigation drama based on a true story. 

we finished it last night.

didn't follow the typical 8-10 episode structure of a crime series/limited series, and it was better for it.  typically these types of shows have a "wow" moment or cliffhanger at the end of every episode.  certain things came to light maybe, but i actually appreciated not dealing with the "holy shit" twists just to get me to watch the next episode (i'm gonna do that anyway).  i assume this is because it was based on true events, but we really liked how it was more/less a straightforward crime investigation story.

also thought it had a pretty satisfying ending.

hopefully they find a way to carry on the limited series and start with a new story and new characters moving forward.

Just started watching The Chef Show with Jon Favreau. Really liked the movie and love that he decided to dive into the kitchen.

Also started The Spy. Don't know who the Israeli chick in Buenos Aires is, but got dayum. I said got dayum!

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1

Saw a recommendation on Twitter for a show, “Criminal” and it’s really good with a pretty unique setup.

All the episodes take place in the same police station/interrogation room. There are four series of three episodes each. Each series is in a different country - France, Spain, Germany, and The UK. Each series/country has the same officers throughout but each episode is a different crime and self contained story and the actors are different in each country/series.

There’s some themes that carry through in the series - cops that are having affairs, cops that dislike each other, other various personal issues - but each episode is just about a criminal and their crime.

And every episode is a bottle episode. They never show anything outside the interrogation room and observation room and the hallway.

Germany is my favorite so far but I haven’t watched the UK series yet. I’m starting it now. I saved it for last because I’m a sucker for Brit crime shows.

Each country/series is in the native language so subtitles or English dubbing is necessary unless you’re multilingual.

My job is ending in a month and I have little to do right now, work-wise, so I've been watching a lot of Netflix.

Unbelievable and The Spy were both terrific.  I know Toni Collette has garnered a lot of (deserved) praise for her performance, but I also really liked Merritt Weaver, who I had only previously known as for her short-lived role as the lesbian doctor on The Walking Dead. 

I've also started Cheers from the beginning. During the initial run I never really watched it on a regular basis, though I know I saw parts of the later seasons back in HS, and maybe the occasional show from syndication runs since. Most of what I know about Ted Danson has been from The Good Place, Curb, and that HBO show he did with Jason Schwartzman. What a great show.

2 hours ago, drewcifer said:

Unbelievable and The Spy were both terrific.  I know Toni Collette has garnered a lot of (deserved) praise for her performance, but I also really liked Merritt Weaver, who I had only previously known as for her short-lived role as the lesbian doctor on The Walking Dead. 

She also played the sister of the main character in Godless, and was really good in that role.

• Like 1

this movie is on Hulu and a bunch of the other streaming services, it’s a Swedish sci-fi called Aniara. I watched it last night and just found it enthralling.

It’s slow paced and increasingly grim, the ending made me feel bad but yet I highly recommend it.

It’s won six awards from various international film festivals. Not much character development but still great, it’s hard to describe.

It’s about an extremely large vessel named the Aniara that transports people from earth to mars. Earth is almost uninhabitable in the future and people are leaving in droves. It only takes the Aniara three weeks to get to Mars but it has an accident and I’ll leave the spoilers at that.

Watch it, would love to jeer other opinions

• Like 1

On 9/23/2019 at 11:40 PM, Mileslong said:

this movie is on Hulu and a bunch of the other streaming services, it’s a Swedish sci-fi called Aniara. I watched it last night and just found it enthralling.

It’s slow paced and increasingly grim, the ending made me feel bad but yet I highly recommend it.

It’s won six awards from various international film festivals. Not much character development but still great, it’s hard to describe.

It’s about an extremely large vessel named the Aniara that transports people from earth to mars. Earth is almost uninhabitable in the future and people are leaving in droves. It only takes the Aniara three weeks to get to Mars but it has an accident and I’ll leave the spoilers at that.

Watch it, would love to jeer other opinions

It's not on Netflix, so why post it here?

1 minute ago, Mileslong said:

Um, because I didn’t see a Hulu thread

Then start a Hulu thread? Or a new thread about the movie you just watched? Or better yet, post in the "Movie I just watched" thread?

Just not sure why you would watch a movie that's not available on Netflix, then post it in the Netflix thread.

• Like 1

Then start a Hulu thread? Or a new thread about the movie you just watched? Or better yet, post in the "Movie I just watched" thread?
Just not sure why you would watch a movie that's not available on Netflix, then post it in the Netflix thread.

Ok I’ll start three new threads then. Thank god for the forum police, it would be absolute mayhem without you guys. While you’re at it, please have people stop posting links to funny videos in the “pics that make you lol” thread
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2