Netflix Recommendations

kevwun

2 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Late to the show but Lucifer is fantastic.  There are some great one liners.

Same here. Fantastic show.

Currently watching The Family. Not shocking that this kind of stuff goes on. So far they’ve been staying away from actual names, so you get a lot of “I know that guy. It’s the Senator from Oklahoma.” 

On 8/5/2019 at 7:10 PM, Liquor and Poker said:

Sooooo boring.  The lead is as interesting as a cardboard box and shows about half the range.  

I'm right there with you. The partner is great, as is the guy they interviewed a bunch (Kemper?),  but the lead is just awful. 

On 8/20/2019 at 12:40 PM, DallasHorn26 said:

I'm kind of looking forward to this tommorow. Produced by Charlize Theron and the guys from BattleBots. 293448609f4220ed829d5c054ebb080d.jpg

Watched E1 and 2 this morning and I'm not sure I can watch any more. Not all that interesting, it's highly edited, you hardly see any full runs, and there's no way some of these people are "legends" or have been driving as long as they say. Some of these "contestants" were truly shit. Prime example, the Corvette guy. E2 is slightly better as 

The only decent part of this was Theron meeting one girl from South Africa. Definitely someone who is genuine, has aspirations, and is growing up without a lot of advantages that the others have.

One annoyance was that no one knew that you can't just drive fast through a section with a few inches high of standing water without consequence. Yeah, apparently engines don't like sucking in water. Who knew?

I also can't stand to listen to Rutledge Wood. He's probably a good dude, just awful at doing play-by-play of the event. It's irritating.

45 minutes ago, LonghornJudas said:

Watched E1 and 2 this morning and I'm not sure I can watch any more. Not all that interesting, it's highly edited, you hardly see any full runs, and there's no way some of these people are "legends" or have been driving as long as they say. Some of these "contestants" were truly shit. Prime example, the Corvette guy. E2 is slightly better as 

The only decent part of this was Theron meeting one girl from South Africa. Definitely someone who is genuine, has aspirations, and is growing up without a lot of advantages that the others have.

One annoyance was that no one knew that you can't just drive fast through a section with a few inches high of standing water without consequence. Yeah, apparently engines don't like sucking in water. Who knew?

I also can't stand to listen to Rutledge Wood. He's probably a good dude, just awful at doing play-by-play of the event. It's irritating.

That's disappointing. I watched the trailer after posting this and got that vibe as well. 

Just got done with American Factory. Pretty interesting film about the setting up of Fuyao in Dayton after the GM plant closed.

There's even a part where one of the Fuyao reps threatens to murder Senator Sherrod Brown by cutting off his head for talking about organized labor at the opening. The Chinese rep is horrified by the comment. Pretty funny. But, Chinese leadership is truly anti-union (shocker) because they believe it impacts efficiency and bleeds money from the company. Even tells them he's shutting the company down if a union comes in. It's gets real in that meeting.

There are some other good nuggets in there too, like when the Chinese trainer is talking to other Chinese workers about American culture and what they're allowed to do here regarding dress and speech in the US.

Edited by LonghornJudas

I think it was the same guy who talked about cutting off Sherrod Brown's head who got shitcanned and then was telling stories in the car about how the workers need a voice.  The Chinese company culture was nightmare fuel.  From the dancing kids in chicken outfits, to the costumed women singing about lean manufacturing, to the mass wedding, to the people whose job it was to sit on a pile of glass without safety goggles and sort it into different colors so the company can get more for the recycling.  But of course the Americans are too fat to fit into the yellow vests.  Nice segue at the end with the founder talking about missing the lilies and burbling frogs from his youth, wondering if he was a contributor or a sinner destroying the environment, walking through his mansion's gardens and ruminating on the purpose of life being to work, and then over in the factory as they discuss the new automation they are putting in place and how many lazy workers it will allow them to cancel.  Man that did get pretty depressing, but I guess it's the industrial midwest.

There was a Frontline episode not long ago called "Left Behind in America" that focused on Dayton (including the GM/Fuyao plant) and was a good watch.  There was a glimmer of how things were going to head when they asked the founder about wages.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/left-behind-america/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I think it was the same guy who talked about cutting off Sherrod Brown's head who got shitcanned and then was telling stories in the car about how the workers need a voice.  The Chinese company culture was nightmare fuel.  From the dancing kids in chicken outfits, to the costumed women singing about lean manufacturing, to the mass wedding, to the people whose job it was to sit on a pile of glass without safety goggles and sort it into different colors so the company can get more for the recycling.

Yeah. No union! But the workers need a voice! Agreed on the culture. Not that this doesn't exist here in some places, but you can tell that many of those Chinese workers in the Chinese factory were treated pretty much like prisoners. Then there was the part where in the US factory the Chinese were just dumping the paint in the sewer, and then at the Chinese factory, not only did they not have goggles, but they didn't have cut or puncture resistant gloves. Pretty fucked up. I won't CR this, but over the past 3 years, I have been pulling a lot of my manufacturing out of China. There are still some good factories there, and I have a few partners I still work with, but the common element there is that we have westerners running them with practices that we support. That includes safety, normal shifts, age restrictions, better pay, etc.

6 hours ago, Celery Man said:

...and then over in the factory as they discuss the new automation they are putting in place and how many lazy workers it will allow them to cancel.  Man that did get pretty depressing, but I guess it's the industrial midwest.

There was a Frontline episode not long ago called "Left Behind in America" that focused on Dayton (including the GM/Fuyao plant) and was a good watch.  There was a glimmer of how things were going to head when they asked the founder about wages.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/left-behind-america/

Yeah, it did. I really feel for a lot of those people. Guy was too slow on the computer. Fired. Don't bother to train him, just fire him. Fuck safety. Just make it quick! Get injured? Fired. This should be highlighted every day and people should care about it. Thanks for the link. I'll watch it.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2019 at 11:20 PM, HornsOverIthaca said:

I tried to watch the first episode of Katee Sackhoff’s new show, Another Life.  A wise man once said, “I’d rather drink buffalo shiz.”

She looks like a man, and the TV show looks like a high school students short movie combing every space-fi trope ever made

On 8/21/2019 at 8:41 PM, Mach 1 said:

I'm a couple episodes into QB1.  Rattler has a nice family, comes across reasonably here and there, but it's obvious the kernel is ready to bloom for the next, time honored tradition, of douchebag Sooner QBs.

This right here. How do they find the douchiest narcissistic cocksuckers in every class?

On 8/20/2019 at 11:49 AM, 52-80 said:

i kinda like this Last Kingdom show but damn if Uhtred isnt the dumbest viking on earth

Well, he's really English so...

I like The Last Kingdom as well.  I'm waiting for the new season to drop along with the last season of Vikings.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Well, he's really English so...

I like The Last Kingdom as well.  I'm waiting for the new season to drop along with the last season of Vikings.

if you like those 2, Knightfall is good too.  Season 3 has Mark Hamill in it (lifted directly from TLJ set)

• Like 1

I'm a couple episodes into QB1.  Rattler has a nice family, comes across reasonably here and there, but it's obvious the kernel is ready to bloom for the next, time honored tradition, of douchebag Sooner QBs.

Hes a straight up douche.
Just like ass my dude tater.
Treated the younger back up like shit.
What was the real,story on rattlers suspension.
Douche tried acting like it was a knee injury.
Then didnt he “choose” to not enroll early at ou sux, so in his own words he could stay around family/friends longer. Bet there was more also in that decision.
Just not a like-able kid.

And that scalzo kids mom seemed really nice.

Rattler easily wins the Tate Martell award for douchiest qb in season 3.  Treated his backup like shit just to make himself feel like a big man (side note backup committed to Michigan for next year so he's no slouch) and faked an injury to hide his suspension.  As soon as the coach announced the suspension it was obvious it was disciplinary and not injury related.

I predicted correctly 2 years ago that martell would be a bust because of his douche factor on this show but unfortunately rattler chose the one school where douche QBs will thrive, win a Heisman and be a first pick.

On 8/15/2019 at 11:00 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Blown Away is worth watching if you like watching how artists make art. It's a glass blowing competition sort of like the cooking shows in style. Some really impressive stuff, and the episodes are only about 25 minutes each, so it isn't like any sort of big commitment to watch.

I finished this over the weekend.  Makes me want to go find a gloryhole now.  

I did not want who won to win though.  

On 8/15/2019 at 2:23 AM, Jive Turkey said:

I’m definitely late to the game, but started Derry Girls last night. Holy shit. One of the funniest pilots I’ve ever seen. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/31/arts/derry-girls.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

Great show. The first two shows there on season 1 are gold. Legit LOL moments nonstop.

Some pretty strong, emotional context later in the series. I enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Scraps said:

I finished this over the weekend.  Makes me want to go find a gloryhole now.  

I did not want who won to win though.  

Yeah, I wanted to try my hand at glassblowing after watching it. But then I realised just how much equipment you would need.

I was right there with you on the final result as well.

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn

On 8/14/2019 at 8:17 AM, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

After Life. 

Man, if you want a rip roaring good time, tune in to watch Ricky Gervais deal with the death of his wife to breast cancer leaving him alone in the world to deal with nonstop suicidal ideation as he accepts that life is meaningless.  You’ll be rolling in the aisles.  

I know you are being sarcastic but, breast milk rice pudding was worth it.