Won't You Be My Neighbor?

austingirl

Saw this today - it's a new documentary about Fred Rogers and Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. As a kid growing up in the 80s, it was a staple in my home, but I never truly realized how progressive he was. There's a few times when he and Officer Clemmons cooled off their feet in a kiddie pool and then shared a towel, right around the time white people were dumping chemicals in pools while black people were swimming in them. Then there was the time Daniel Tiger told Lady Abelin he felt like a mistake and they sang a duet about it. And in the very first week, in 1968, King Friday built a wall around his castle to keep people from moving closer. So the rest of the people in the neighborhood sent him messages about kindness and inclusiveness and he realized there was nothing to fear, and he took down the wall. I shit you not.</p> 

Anyway, it's playing at the Alamo in the Austin area. I highly recommend it. Even though you will be sniffling at the end. I can't seem to embed the trailer so here it is.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

tom-hanks.jpg&w=1100&q=85

Billed as a “timely story of kindness triumphing over cynicism,” the untitled film — developed under the name You Are My Friend — is currently shooting in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and is directed by Can You Ever Forgive Me? and The Diary of a Teenage Girl helmer Marielle Heller. Heller previously told EW the film isn’t a straightforward Fred Rogers biopic, but rather a chronicle of the real-life friendship that developed between the Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood host and journalist Tom Junod (Matthew Rhys), who famously formed an emotional bond with Rogers while profiling him for Esquire magazine in 1998.

The film, based on a screenplay written by Emmy-nominated Transparent producers Micah Fitzerman-Blue and Noah Harpster, opens in theaters nationwide on Oct. 18, 2019

https://ew.com/movies/2018/09/27/tom-hanks-mister-rogers-movie-photo/

• 4 months later...

saw this last night..

i didn't even watch Mr. Roger's growing up and I was blubbering at the end of this movie.

You always figure no one can escape the "it's too good to be true" idiom, but apparently Fred Rogers did.

Edited by yoladu

• 2 weeks later...

Saw it this weekend too. It was very interesting and I respect Mr. Rogers a lot more for it. What an interesting, kind-hearted man.

I was technically a bit after its era, but some of my earliest memories are being in day care watching this. I was never a big fan of puppets, and something about his voices and the bland puppets were off-putting, but I also remember being enthralled. He had a gift for bringing you into his little world without teletubbing the shit all up.

This is pretty powerful.  I always considered him as kind of a joke.  I was very wrong.

I grew up watching it. He was a great man touting an even greater message. His tour of the crayon factory will forever be etched in my brain.

Beats the hell out of most modern kids shows...except Peppa Pig, Team Daddy Pig for life.

Saw this on the plane coming back to Austin (from Oregon).

I was born in 1967 and did partake of the PBS in my formative years, but for some reason, don't remember watching Mr. Rogers at all.  My first real recollections of him were from Eddie Murphy.  After my first son was born in 1988, my ex wife and mother in law were all about Fred.  Without really paying attention or even seeing much of it I kind of poo pooed the idea.  As time went on I actually got to sit down with my boy and watch.  I was really impressed with the message, and even as an adult was moved to think about some things.

Love the video of Fred Rogers testifying before Congress in 1969 when seeking funding for PBS.  And how Senator Pastore, who was not familiar with Rogers or his program, reacted to him after about 5 minutes of testimony.  "I think it's wonderful. I think it's wonderful. Looks like you just earned the $20 million."

I was vaguely disappointed with it.  I did think that the one part about the one kid was very emotional.  And it was great learning that Mr. Rogers really was indeed, Mr. Rogers.  I mean, he could have ended up being Col. Hogan in his private life.

But I still felt like at the end it didn't give me some other kind of payoff -- either in inside info or otherwise. 

I never knew he was so instrumental in the mere existence of public television, and real hero just in that aspect alone.

• Like 1