Can we talk about the public flogging of Fani Willis…

Satchel

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

It's pretty far removed from the Trump team.

True, I was reading more and it’s another co-conspirator. 

Which was always going to be the play, that this campaign guy was “caught up in a politically motivated witch-hunt, and now added to that, the prosecution may be benefiting financially from the legal circus.”

These two just walked into the punch. Also, the SP was apparently a sole practitioner, maybe one other partner, trying family law and and PI cases. He got held in contempt at his own divorce trial.  Lol at the theory that he left some high-powered big law job for this. 

5 minutes ago, Balcones said:

You don’t need to worry about that. Wade is grossly under qualified. He has never prosecuted a felony case, is primarily a personal injury lawyer, and has no experience with RICO. 

https://www.ajc.com/politics/misconduct-allegations-lead-to-scrutiny-of-fulton-trump-prosecutor/5DB2F5T6ANHEHFQ5RFWJ2SG4N4/

So how does that not work in Trump's favor?

9 hours ago, Balcones said:

As for the non-legal stuff? There is so much she opened up when getting on the stand.

Example-

Willis claims, under oath, that Wade thinks women are only good for making him a sandwich (which may be true). The had several arguments about how she and tried to convince him they were equals.  She will now have to defend why she hired someone she knew had those views. 

How do you know when he learned of his views?

Just now, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

So how does that not work in Trump's favor?

Because it fits the right wing circle jerk fantasy narrative that has no actual basis in legal precedent?  Come middle of the week, they will move on to some other narrative that also has no basis in fact or legal merit.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 4:55 PM, Gatorubet said:

I’m not expecting you to condemn anybody.  I don’t feel that it was particularly wrong morally, I just think it was incredibly stupid, given the scrutiny on her because of the incredibly important case that she has undertaken. 

Again, I’m not really interested in how stupid you think her actions were. I’m interested in the public flogging.

3 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Because it fits the right wing circle jerk fantasy narrative that has no actual basis in legal precedent?  Come middle of the week, they will move on to some other narrative that also has no basis in fact or legal merit.  

It has no basis in logic. 

Next week Trump is going to reveal he was fucking the woman he hired, HabbaKnobbaBobba, therefore, MISTRIAL!!!

9 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, to be fair, defense attorneys are, as said above, going to pull this string pretty much regardless.

People seem to have lost sight of the fact that criminal defense lawyers often do long-shot, "bad-faith" things in pursuit of their clients' interests, because you never know where something like this may end up, even if you are pretty sure it's not a good case for outright disqualification.

This is normal, it's part of the job.  It's why unthinking people think criminal defense lawyers are shitbags.  It's always their disgusting clients that make it even more repulsive than usual.

Willis, through her poor judgment, created some smoke, diligent defense attorneys are going to see if there's some fire, or maybe even start one.  I always said this was probably just a side show and it's good that there doesn't seem to be much to it, but Willis really bent over for this, should have expected it to be discovered and should have expected to be raked over the coals for it.

Thank GIF

The lawyer doing this is working for a DJT operative.  How much is it worth to stay out of prison for decades? To not have “felon” attached to your name? The answer— a lot of debt.  

The goal here is to paint the whole thing as a shitshow where political and personal interests overtook all else. To paint the prosecution as making bad decisions at best, unethical at worst.  Dragging them through the mud and then going to trial might actually be better than getting a new team.

It might be better if for criminal cases we didn’t have an adversarial system, where instead an impartial judge diligently looked at facts and came to conclusions. This might not be rewarded. 

But we don’t have that, we have the system we’ve got.  This is the defense pounding the table, because that’s the best play. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The lawyer doing this is working for a DJT operative.  How much is it worth to stay out of prison for decades? To not have “felon” attached to your name? The answer— a lot of debt.  

The goal here is to paint the whole thing as a shitshow where political and personal interests overtook all else. To paint the prosecution as making bad decisions at best, unethical at worst.  Dragging them through the mud and then going to trial might actually be better than getting a new team.

It might be better if for criminal cases we didn’t have an adversarial system, where instead an impartial judge diligently looked at facts and came to conclusions. This might not be rewarded. 

But we don’t have that, we have the system we’ve got.  This is the defense pounding the table, because that’s the best play. 

Can you show who is arguing otherwise?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Balcones said:

Other witnesses say she was fucking/traveling with him before she gave him the public money contract and therefore knew she would then benefit from the money. 

1) What's the breakdown percentage-wise of witnesses that corroborate Fani's narrative to those that contradict it?

2) Were any of the contradictory witnesses named after a vodka?

3) As is unanswered standard, has anyone on Planet Earth even remotely offered a working theory how Fani hiring her boyfriend to a job a former Georgia governor was running away from due to death threats would deny Trump a fair trial?

4) *Chris Farley as Senator* Can you describe the nature of your relationship, Ms Willis?

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

“Is this whole prosecution really about bringing Mr. Trump to justice? Or is this whole thing a farce, a ploy to send hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars to the DA’s boy toy and boost her political future by targeting an unpopular politician?”

This one's easy.

1. They were indicted by a grand jury and a lot of the felonious conduct forming the basis of the case was done out in the open. Any argument that this is a farce is farcical. 

2. Even if she appointed Wade to get a dickback, how does that prejudice the defendants in any way? 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Balcones said:

If he is guilty, I’m sure there is a range of penalty. What is the State asking for/recommending in their motion?

If he is guilty? Okay, I see where you’re coming from. You’ve passed judgment on Fani Willis but not Trump. You want to see Trump get off. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Haven’t all of his attorneys other than Rudy taken plea deals? So if you can’t win on the facts, this is an attempt to win on process.

The problem is that the indictments won’t get thrown out and the only thing they’ve done is contaminate the jury pool - with the result being that potential jurors who might favor the defense will get stricken for cause bc they will be convinced the defendants can’t get a fair trial 

Its a Hail Mary that will get repeated on Fox News 

You know what grinds my gears? Trial judges taking their sweet ass time making a straight-forward ruling like this one should be. 

On 2/17/2024 at 8:36 PM, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Can any lawdog who OPPOSES Trump tell me why Fani hiring her boyfriend would be a litigation advantage for Trump's defense? 

Did you mean to ask how it would disadvantage his defense? If so, that's impossible to answer, because it obviously didn't/doesn't at all. The theory is that the relationship was a/the motivation for pursuing the case and/or creates an improper incentive to try the case no matter what. At least that's the idea behind the disqualification statute - prosecutors are supposed to only care about obtaining justice. 

It's dumb as fuck for multiple reasons. First, a grand jury indicted defendants. Second, this case was always certain to go to trial. Third, everyone knows Trump is guilty. Fourth, Wade was already making good money from his practice; it's not as though she gave her unemployed bf a job. Fifth, they're no longer seeing each other. 

The judge seems most concerned about the "appearance of impropriety" tainting the public's perception of the case. Couple of problems with that. First, the applicable law seems to require an actual conflict, not just the appearance of one. Second, everyone who might question the legitimacy of the case based on these facts has believed it was a sham from the getgo. This whole issue's been a big, pointless waste of time. 

• Hook 'Em 3

https://www.ajc.com/politics/breaking-cellphone-data-raise-questions-about-start-of-willis-wade-relationship/SFVMYPTD2RD3HMZYOH3377CNNE/

Nathan Wade appeared to make at least 35 visits to the Hapeville neighborhood where Fani Willis was living before the district attorney hired him to lead Fulton County’s election interference prosecution, according to cellphone data included in a court submission filed Friday.

The filing, by attorneys for Donald Trump, raises fresh questions about the relationship between the two prosecutors, which the former president and other defendants argue has tainted the case against them and should result in Willis and her office being disqualified.

Trump’s lawyers relied on data collected from Wade’s cellphone and cellphone tower transmissions to track his movements. It seems to contradict Wade’s testimony last week in which he said he had visited Willis at her condo in Hapeville no more than 10 times before he was hired in November 2021. It also indicates Wade twice arrived late at night at the condo and left early the next morning in the months before Willis and Wade said their relationship became romantic early in 2022.

Both Wade and Willis testified last week that they did not spend the night together at the Hapeville condo.

“We are required to respond to the filing via the court and we are preparing a response now,” Jeff DiSantis, a spokesman for Willis, said Friday.

The timeline is important for two reasons. If Willis and Wade were a couple before she hired him it raises the prospect that she may have violated at least the spirit of anti-nepotism rules, though Fulton’s policy specifically focuses on family members. More importantly, both Willis and Wade have testified under oath that the relationship began in 2022. If defense attorneys can prove that they lied under oath it could constitute perjury.

Friday’s court filing includes an affidavit from Charles Mittelstadt, a longtime investigator for defense attorneys. He said he obtained the cellphone data from AT&T through a subpoena.

Mittelstadt said he used the online tool, CellHawk, to determine where Wade spent his time in 2021. “CellHawk is considered by law enforcement to be the gold standard in cellphone records analytics,” Mittelstadt said, noting it is used by law enforcement throughout the U.S. and Georgia.

The affidavit says Willis and Wade called each other more than 2,000 times during the first 11 months of 2021 and exchanged just less than 12,000 text messages

1 hour ago, Fastbreak said:

And you wonder how Trump gets people to fall in line. Between his investigation teams, the network that Epstein had going and his Russian handlers, Trump has dirt on pretty much everyone.

Yeah, I don't give Trump credit for any smarts or his team credit for much of anything, but I will not be surprised to someday find out that Russia has been feeding him with kompromat on all kinds of people, all to keep him in line with what they have on him.  

17 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

2000 calls to anyone in 11 months is wild, holy shit. I may not have had 2000 calls with anyone person in my life. 

It is such a large number that I'm almost convinced it is a data error of some sort. I don't think I have 2000 calls with my wife this decade. 

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

It is such a large number that I'm almost convinced it is a data error of some sort. I don't think I have 2000 calls with my wife this decade. 

"the gold standard" according to cops so you know it's credible

• Haha 2

Just now, chainsaw said:

"the gold standard" according to cops so you know it's credible

I figured that was just about the location tracking. The call log should just be directly from the phone company. But I will not be surprised if it turns out the Trump lawyers fucked up a spreadsheet or something. 

Subpoena. 

In the Trump filing it says they used CellHawk to collect the data.

Bypassing Pesky Laws
The Police routinely turn to CellHawk to provide them with cascading amounts of information – in spreadsheet form – from cell providers, such as Verizon and AT&T – sometimes without the legal nuisance of having to obtain a warrant. This is a whole lot easier than more complicated stingrays in which a mobile device that impersonates the carrier’s tower coaxes a phone into connecting with it and intercepts whatever communications ensue. CellHawk requires none of this fancy subterfuge – nor does it require careful positioning for recording devices – but instead goes directly to the source by exploiting the copious data that private phone companies have already collected.

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

It doesn't. 

I just want to hear the working theory @Don Johnson and @Balcones have. So far, there's not even a murky suggestion of Trump being denied a fair trial to the point no one can even discern what's being implied, including apparently aforementioned posters invested in Fani's sex life. 

• Hook 'Em 1