Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

Finally got around to installing the S&B cold air intake on my 3.0 duramax. This fucker took me 3 hours to install and I consider myself pretty handy (all the reviews said it's a bitch to put on so I pretty much knew that going in).

Cool thing is it come with its own inlet to pull air directly into the turbo. Any and all turbo lag has been eliminated, and throttle response is instant now. Well worth the hassle. 

Pretty sure the filter itself is the size of my 6 year old. Not sure of my real world mpg gains or decreases yet because I can't help myself from stomping on the gas.

9C3F2BF7-ACA8-4BA2-B209-9F457905CAF4.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

Ok, after my visit to 4Wheel Parts here in SA, I've decided to put off tricking out my Tundra.  They only had a few options that weren't back ordered with a months long waiting list.  Dude there kept trying to sell me something that looked nothing like the pic I showed him of the front bumper and grill.  He tried to get me all gooey about some bulky ass front and back bumper combo that he quoted me a price of $7800 all-in.  Nope.

My new strategery will be to wait until these backlogs clear and make another run at it perhaps sometime in 2022.

Edited by Cajun

On 9/8/2021 at 3:45 PM, Cajun said:

Ok, after my visit to 4Wheel Parts here in SA, I've decided to put off tricking out my Tundra.  They only had a few options that weren't back ordered with a months long waiting list.  Dude there kept trying to sell me something that looked nothing like the pic I showed him of the front bumper and grill.  He tried to get me all gooey about some bulky ass front and back bumper combo that he quoted me a price of $7800 all-in.  Nope.

My new strategery will be to wait until these backlogs clear and make another run at it perhaps sometime in 2022.

Texas Hitch & Truck.  Owner of the company is a Longhorn & used to be a Shagger; too busy to Surl.

image.png.a6bdf4c98d061e8f30d08593310470a0.png

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
11 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:
Texas Hitch & Truck.  Owner of the company is a Longhorn & used to be a Shagger; too busy to Surl.

image.png.a6bdf4c98d061e8f30d08593310470a0.png

If they can't get parts, they can't get parts. Different shop won't help that.

If everyone is delayed in getting parts, then may as well wait on your parts that will support a fellow Longhorn.

Well, Nitto back in the timeout box. Don’t know when these went on as we bought this with a few miles on it, but there’s still decent tread on it (pics don’t do that justice, but plenty) and date shows about 3.5 years. Anyhow, wtf. Never seen sidewalls just start splitting. 33.12.5.22’s so yeah, preparing thy anus.

cf3633a47b2720cb11f5ff035b5b4e9c.jpg
25b2677ad6428b39fa9b03d900a94554.jpg
21f31ba7a942ba1e0f252598df0d1cbf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Why bother putting ATs on when you're running 22s?  You can't do any real offroading with 22s.  

1) what it came with

2) it still gets some use at the ranch and boat ramps (any tire would work on the ramps)  

3) wife likes her little knobbies (that’s what he said)

3 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Look bald as fuck. 

I’ll throw a gauge on it tonight. Either way, sidewalls should be coming apart at 3 years and less than 30k miles. 

What load range are they? I had Nitto ridge grapplers on my old 4runner with just a "c" load range and they lasted me about 2yrs when they started showing the same signs.

E. Still need to dig out my gauge but I’m guessing they are 35%+. You can see the dry rotted and fucked up wear bars pretty good in this pic.

5def37c4804ab874fcbe0339512fcfc0.jpg

23f92b7fbb5ad2f327d3aef4f321bcbb.jpg

Time for the powerstroke’s first oil change in Georgetown.  Not sure if any old oil change place is fine, or if i should take it to a diesel shop so they get acquainted in case repairs pop up.  And any recs in gtown?

Just do it yourself in your driveway. Plenty of space to work underneath on these trucks without a lift.

3 minutes ago, texhorn said:

Just do it yourself in your driveway. Plenty of space to work underneath on these trucks without a lift.

If I’m not willing to mess with 4 quarts of used oil, I’m sure as shut not going to mess with how ever many gallons this thing holds. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

Did my 30k service on my diesel Ram today.  3 gal oil/ filter, two fuel filters and air filter.  The filters cost me $175 at my door (shoutout to Geno’s Garage for all your diesel Ram needs) and oil is $20/ gal, so $235 all in.  Dealer quotes about $450-550 for the same service.    

Used oil goes back into the same jugs and gets dropped off at Walmart by their used oil tank.  Just drive by and set the jugs out and they will dump them and dispose.  Drained diesel goes to the ranch for burning brush piles.

4C1DBEFD-049C-4C58-B838-17F7D537CCEF.jpeg

8 hours ago, davidg said:

Did my 30k service on my diesel Ram today.  3 gal oil/ filter, two fuel filters and air filter.  The filters cost me $175 at my door (shoutout to Geno’s Garage for all your diesel Ram needs) and oil is $20/ gal, so $235 all in.  Dealer quotes about $450-550 for the same service.    

Used oil goes back into the same jugs and gets dropped off at Walmart by their used oil tank.  Just drive by and set the jugs out and they will dump them and dispose.  Drained diesel goes to the ranch for burning brush piles.

4C1DBEFD-049C-4C58-B838-17F7D537CCEF.jpeg

Are you in any of the Cummins groups on FB?  Also, getcha 2 of these & after your next change, drain & cut the thing open (can opener style), then see what's been snagged:

image.jpeg.7a800a1a5a7cf9d5ac1ca403d07d3deb.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
On 9/17/2021 at 12:31 PM, fattyflattie said:

E. Still need to dig out my gauge but I’m guessing they are 35%+. You can see the dry rotted and fucked up wear bars pretty good in this pic.

5def37c4804ab874fcbe0339512fcfc0.jpg

23f92b7fbb5ad2f327d3aef4f321bcbb.jpg

How old are they?

Just about to turn 4.  I just didn’t expect that from a “premium” brand. I’ve had a set of these on my truck before and they lost a belt on one with about 10k left on it, my only complaint with them. Moved to BFG KO2 at that point, and been there since. Just a bit disappointing is all, there’s not a bunch of options in that stupid rim size. Thinking about taking it back down a size for one, then probably to a really nice road Michelin.  That would handle the boat ramps with ease, and the other Yukon is getting  shipped down for ranch duty in the next few weeks (lift arrived this week).  

Just about to turn 4.  I just didn’t expect that from a “premium” brand. I’ve had a set of these on my truck before and they lost a belt on one with about 10k left on it, my only complaint with them. Moved to BFG KO2 at that point, and been there since. Just a bit disappointing is all, there’s not a bunch of options in that stupid rim size. Thinking about taking it back down a size for one, then probably to a really nice road Michelin.  That would handle the boat ramps with ease, and the other Yukon is getting  shipped down for ranch duty in the next few weeks (lift arrived this week).  

They look about 6-7 years old.

26 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
6 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

They look about 6-7 years old.

I know.  33 week of 17 is that it says.  

• Hook 'Em 1

What, you don't own any pennies?  Put Abe's profile in there & let's see.

Here you go. Discount measured them at 8/32, making just north of 50% tread (15.6/32 new). I agree, they don’t photograph well. I took them off and cleaned up the wheel weight adhesive last night, heavy wide ass fucking tires. One really opened up this AM on way over there, glad I took it in this AM. I’d probably went back with them again if it wasn’t 3 of the 4 tires doing this. Don’t know wtf but glad it didn’t blow out with wife and kids in the car. Went with some Michelin’s. First time with them, Surly folks seem to like them, hope it improves the ride. If not I’ll be off to Craigslist to make a trade for some stock 20’s.

ed20437ab00af9942ca976bac83eacb5.jpg

8093742060ed73b66989aa22bb3fb6f3.jpg

2fc8d639308dc95e5a5e4aae6108658e.jpg

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Here you go. Discount measured them at 8/32, making just north of 50% tread (15.6/32 new). I agree, they don’t photograph well. I took them off and cleaned up the wheel weight adhesive last night, heavy wide ass fucking tires. One really opened up this AM on way over there, glad I took it in this AM. I’d probably went back with them again if it wasn’t 3 of the 4 tires doing this. Don’t know wtf but glad it didn’t blow out with wife and kids in the car. Went with some Michelin’s. First time with them, Surly folks seem to like them, hope it improves the ride. If not I’ll be off to Craigslist to make a trade for some stock 20’s.

ed20437ab00af9942ca976bac83eacb5.jpg

8093742060ed73b66989aa22bb3fb6f3.jpg

2fc8d639308dc95e5a5e4aae6108658e.jpg

You're not still driving around on those, are you?  That is a blowout waiting to happen.

23 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

You're not still driving around on those, are you?  That is a blowout waiting to happen.

No, brand new set of Michelin’s went on this AM.  That gap opened up in the 2-3 miles between my house and the closest Discount when I took it in this AM.  I had my hands all over them last night cleaning the rims/weight residue, and they looked just like they did upthread (terrible but not rolling death like this AM). 

Truck rides better with the Michelin’s (as expected), but still doesn’t ride like it should.  Think something is funky with the shocks. Fucking new age electric bullshit. 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.png.70a98f6134894b98e5367a733d80b487.png

Gonna run out of vehicle payload/tongue weight way before hitting 12K trailer GVWR, IMO.  2021 4x4 models have a payload of about 1550 lbs per the brochure and the door sticker will be less than that.  Put 2 adults and some stuff in the bed and usable payload will be about 1K.  That's a 7500-8000lb GVWR trailer.  They really need a TowMax option that gets the payload to about 1800-2K to go with that trailer rating.