Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

41 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I do not know which configuration specifically it is on, to be honest.

Can't speak for Toyota, but for Ford, the max payload and absolute highest tow rating, usually seem to be on 2WD longbed standard cab configurations.  Any deviation from one of those features, will typically diminish the payload and/or the max towing capacity.

My F150 4WD with max-towing package, supercrew and shortbed, takes a hit on towing capacity, down from a high end of 12,500 for the ideal configuration, to the 11,500 lbs that my configuration is rated at. I don't recall the exact numbers on the impact to payload capacity, but the 4WD diminished it, which makes sense, it's added weight to the vehicle, without improviing the structural strength of the vehicle.

As far as payload though,  you don't have to have 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue. That's the standard rule of thumb in the USA, but it's common in Europe and other countries around the world to have significantly less than that-- like, half.  You can alter your tongue weight by loading in your gear at the back of the trailer, behind the axle(s), which will help reduce tongue weight and reduce the impact to your vehicle's payload limits.

As always, when towing large and/or high profile loads like RVs, I advise using a high-quality weight-distributing hitch with anti-sway control.

Edit: I'll note that the above values are just approximate from memory, I don't recall the exact numbers, but it's something along those lines.

Edited by utee94

Here you go. Discount measured them at 8/32, making just north of 50% tread (15.6/32 new). I agree, they don’t photograph well. I took them off and cleaned up the wheel weight adhesive last night, heavy wide ass fucking tires. One really opened up this AM on way over there, glad I took it in this AM. I’d probably went back with them again if it wasn’t 3 of the 4 tires doing this. Don’t know wtf but glad it didn’t blow out with wife and kids in the car. Went with some Michelin’s. First time with them, Surly folks seem to like them, hope it improves the ride. If not I’ll be off to Craigslist to make a trade for some stock 20’s.

ed20437ab00af9942ca976bac83eacb5.jpg

8093742060ed73b66989aa22bb3fb6f3.jpg

2fc8d639308dc95e5a5e4aae6108658e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your side piece slashed your tires.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Resale sucks on them I think so only if you’re going to hold on to it for a long time

Gas mileage sucks too

They’re kinda ugly

They don’t tow a lot

Get it cheap.

-Not really concerned with resale.  It won’t be a daily driver but more like a road trip, camping, and Home Depot truck so hoping to keep it for at least a decade.  
- slight concern but again if it’s not a daily driver not the end of the world. 
- don’t give a shit what my cars look like.

Tows enough for me.  

Yea it’s cheap(er).  But why?  That sort of brings me back to my original question.  Why are they several thousand cheaper than comparable Ford/Chevy/Toyota?  

11 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

-Not really concerned with resale.  It won’t be a daily driver but more like a road trip, camping, and Home Depot truck so hoping to keep it for at least a decade.  

Tows enough for me.  

Yea it’s cheap(er).  But why?  That sort of brings me back to my original question.  Why are they several thousand cheaper than comparable Ford/Chevy/Toyota?  

Because truck owners are very…brand loyal… and none are loyal to Nissan. 

• Like 2

Tows enough for me.  

They’re kinda ugly.

If they were badass looking, they’d sell more and retain value better.

My take on the Titan is that the competitors typically offered more features, a little better performance, etc., but that doesn't mean the Titan is a bad truck.  The V-8 is seen as generally reliable, but not as reliable as, say, the Tundra.  Watch for timing chain issues and catalytic converter failure/wear.  Might want to have a mechanic check it out.  If it checks out okay and the price is right . . .    

• Hook 'Em 1

That reminds me, when I was leaving the spot at lake Georgetown a couple weekends ago, the camper in front I’m me in line at the dump station was being pulled by an Armada.  This was probably a 30 or so footer and the armada just had to be at the bump stops on the back suspension. And I assume it has IRS because the negative camber being created was intense. 

• Like 1