Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

Got Toyo MT 33's on the Dodge 2500 today, was in 30's before. Has a slight rumble (doesn't bother me - hard to hear over the Cummins).

Slight rub on the inner fender well when on full turn (door hinge end, not bumper) for both sides.

Probably gonna do a 3" front / 2" back suspension lift. Around $ 550 + @ THT (Texas Hitch & Truck).

Spacers, brackets, shock extenders.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This rig is chipped.  2nd Cummins I have owned (this is a '05, the prior was '04) & honestly, I don't think I have ever noticed a difference in the cabin WRT to any exhaust notes however from the outside, I've had more than a few folks ask if it was tuned.

Either way, as mentioned I won't mind the hum.

• 2 weeks later...

Toyo M/T's, 33½...

Rubbing the fenderwells.

Looking @ this setup to give me the clearance I need

2004 Ram 4×4, 2500 w/ Cummins.

Thoughts? Any suggestions for a stronger / better setup? Looking for durability, cost is a secondary concern.a0d9841bbe05a9a6b0716a74a79b9200.jpgf265bed83bbee933d360df7a3a47552c.jpg

Saw a video where some are guessing due to a video of a Tundra prototype found in West Virginia towing a trailer that the 2022 Tundra will have towing capacity of somewhere in the 11-13k lbs range. Apparently they're testing it there in the hills to see how it pulls.

The problem with just looking at weight tow rating is that it ignores cargo/load capacity of the truck. It is very easy to exceed cargo capacity with passengers, bed cargo and tongue/pin weight, in fact that is probably exceeded much more often that actual trailer tow weight. Add in 4WD and a diesel and you take real hits on load capacity.

My old 4WD Crewmax Tundra has shit for load capacity: 1341lbs. I had a truck cap on it and carries a couple of hundred pounds of gear and tools most of the time in it which left a very capacity for trailer tongue weight. When we first looks at RVs, we had several sales slugs at dealerships tell us we would be fine towing a 27-28’ trailer with the Tundra.

I see this on RV forums a lot where a newbie is told by a truck dealer and the camper dealer that their new 1/2 ton 4WD crew cab truck will be awesome to tow that new “1/2 ton towable” 30’ travel trailer that has a 9k gvwr. They then load the bed up with bikes, chairs, firewood and coolers and and then all the shit in the trailer and that 650lb dry, unloaded tongue weight becomes 1k+. Add Mom, Dad, the 3 kids and golden retriever and that half ton truck gets pushed all over the road on their first two trips and they are back the dealer buying a 3/4 ton.

On 7/19/2021 at 4:23 PM, ROFL BOX said:

Toyo M/T's, 33½...

Rubbing the fenderwells.

Looking @ this setup to give me the clearance I need

2004 Ram 4×4, 2500 w/ Cummins.

Thoughts? Any suggestions for a stronger / better setup? Looking for durability, cost is a secondary concern.a0d9841bbe05a9a6b0716a74a79b9200.jpgf265bed83bbee933d360df7a3a47552c.jpg

You may end up putting new shocks on it too. I have a similar leveling kit on my F150 and the shocks are extended out ride rough as hell

You may end up putting new shocks on it too. I have a similar leveling kit on my F150 and the shocks are extended out ride rough as hell
Decided on an upgrade.
e355d93025d49c8efd94fadb0a49f98e.jpg5cd55a318947a48658aadf16c912ef9d.jpg

I have no idea how old the current shocks are, however with 345k+ miles, it's not a bad idea to go ahead & step up my game anyhow.

• Hook 'Em 1

With this height, I am already noticing a visibility issue when parking & other slow navigation concerns.

Do any of y'all have any experience with aftermarket backup camera systems? I guess license plate brackets / mounts are all the rage & I am also assuming they are supposed to be spliced into the reverse lights so the screen comes on with that power?

The truck is an '04 & this obv. predates built in backup systems.

I'd prefer something that mounts closer to the tailgate handle because that would make hitch to trailer work a lot easier, however I don't know of anything aftermarket that has this design. If you have a license plate setup, does it catch that kind of tow ball visibility?

• 2 weeks later...

Looked at a 2 door Black Diamond full size Bronco while at the golf tournament today. I am seriously intrigued even more than I thought I would be. It stickered well optioned at $49k. The dealer has a base model reserved for me to use as a beach vehicle but I may have to move up models after looking st this one. They did an awesome job on the proportions and lines on it especially compared to the baby bronco. 

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Looked at a 2 door Black Diamond full size Bronco while at the golf tournament today. I am seriously intrigued even more than I thought I would be. It stickered well optioned at $49k. The dealer has a base model reserved for me to use as a beach vehicle but I may have to move up models after looking st this one. They did an awesome job on the proportions and lines on it especially compared to the baby bronco. 

That was the trim level I was initially looking at.  Eventually decided on the Badlands, but there are more than a few who think the BD hits the sweet spot in terms of capability and bang for the buck compared to the other trim levels.

Got the email this morning from Ford officially notifying me that I won't be getting my Bronco until sometime in '22 (the word had already been out unofficially for a while).  Ford is having issues with the hard tops.  Before that, it was computer chips.  Production of MY 22 vehicles is supposed to start in December.  Yeah, right.   At this rate, it might be another year or more before I get my vehicle.

Starting to get antsy and looking around a bit, even though it's a terrible time to be a car buyer.  I'm hearing really good things about the new Nissan Frontier.  Plenty of Tacomas and Rangers in stock out here.  Hell, at this rate I could maybe even wait until the next gen 4Runner.  I suspect I'll probably end up sitting tight and waiting on the Bronco, but waiting does suck.       

11 minutes ago, jofus said:

I ordered a z71 suburban for my wife back in March, and I just got notified it’ll be pushed to ‘22. They are still citing the chip shortage

Yup, chip shortage will continue to disrupt multiple industry supply chains through at least the middle of 2022.  Could be longer.

31 minutes ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Yea I’m in Colorado and when I did some test drives up in Longmont at about 5000’ or whatever the 3.5 put the 5.0 to shame. The V8 couldn’t keep up with the thinner air. 

Yeah my 5.0 wasn’t happy about pulling a 4000 lb camper over a 9000 ft pass.  Probably not geared for it either but it prompted the 3/4 diesel purchase. 

did Ford ever put the 3.0 diesel in the f150?  Haven’t heard peep about it in a long time. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Yea I’m in Colorado and when I did some test drives up in Longmont at about 5000’ or whatever the 3.5 put the 5.0 to shame. The V8 couldn’t keep up with the thinner air. 

I love the 3.5 ecoboost.

But I'd definitely be interested in hearing some real-world testimony on the 3.5 powerboost.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2021 at 10:06 AM, Johnny Chimpo said:

I am in the Colorado mountains about 1/2 the year.  Have the '20 platinum with 3.5 ecoboost.  I think it is the best engine out there for altitude.  

• Hook 'Em 2