I did not know that... trivial stuff you just learned

locodos

9 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Everybody and their dogs had one of these.  Now, 99% of them are in landfills. What a country.

I still have one in my foyer.  It's my dad's and I don't have the heart to get rid of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

"Oh. Here's a 4 page thread on trivia I'm sure is probably full of interesting and strange facts. Let's just go ahead and click on this last page and see what's in here."

On 3/20/2024 at 2:48 PM, InkaUtexas said:

Anal insertion of a walnut?

Wait until you see the videos of him cracking the walnuts ...

On 3/20/2024 at 12:37 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Maybe these are all good album names for a single band. 

One of my proudest moments in life occurred when I was ~10-12 years old and on a family vacation. The hotel we were staying at had live bands in the bar area and a little chalkboard sandwich board thing in front of the entrance to advertise each night's act. 

"Cat Sass" was the name of the band one night, and I found their chalk and added an apostrophe so that it then appeared to proclaim that "Cat's ass" would be playing that evening. 

There was a Sirloin Stockade or something like that in my home town that once had "Try our smothered tips" on their sign in front of the resturant. I decided to get a t from somewhere and rearrange a few letters and change it to "Try our mother's tits" . Giggled for years when I would pass that spot.

• Hook 'Em 1

Fifth floor of the Supreme Court Building... didn't believe it...  but there it is in Wikipedia

cGc.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Supreme_Court_Building

The Supreme Court Building includes:

• The basement, which houses maintenance facilities, garage, and the on-site mailroom
  • The first floor, which includes the public information office, the clerk's office, the publications unit, exhibit halls, the cafeteria, the gift shop, and administrative offices
  • The second floor, which includes the Great Hall, the courtroom, the conference room, and all of the justices' chambers except Justice Sotomayor.
  • The third floor includes the office of Justice Sotomayor, the office of the Reporter of Decisions, the legal office, the offices of the law clerk, and the justices' dining room and reference library
  • The fourth floor includes the U.S. Supreme Court Library
  • The fifth floor includes the U.S. Supreme Court gym, which includes a basketball court named the "Highest Court in the Land".[23]

54 minutes ago, locodos said:

Fifth floor of the Supreme Court Building... didn't believe it...  but there it is in Wikipedia

cGc.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Supreme_Court_Building

The Supreme Court Building includes:

• The basement, which houses maintenance facilities, garage, and the on-site mailroom
  • The first floor, which includes the public information office, the clerk's office, the publications unit, exhibit halls, the cafeteria, the gift shop, and administrative offices
  • The second floor, which includes the Great Hall, the courtroom, the conference room, and all of the justices' chambers except Justice Sotomayor.
  • The third floor includes the office of Justice Sotomayor, the office of the Reporter of Decisions, the legal office, the offices of the law clerk, and the justices' dining room and reference library
  • The fourth floor includes the U.S. Supreme Court Library
  • The fifth floor includes the U.S. Supreme Court gym, which includes a basketball court named the "Highest Court in the Land".[23]

When i was at Texas in late 80's , we found a bball court in an old building on campus.  This building was an academic building, not one of the 6-pack or the Union, but it had to be of that era/age.  It was pretty cool, we had  a Tuesday night game going for a few months.  Had to be on the 3rd floor or so of a 4 story building, and the ceilings seem to stretch another floor high.  It was like finding an Easter Egg, that basketball court in the middle of campus in an old building.

51 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

When i was at Texas in late 80's , we found a bball court in an old building on campus.  This building was an academic building, not one of the 6-pack or the Union, but it had to be of that era/age.  It was pretty cool, we had  a Tuesday night game going for a few months.  Had to be on the 3rd floor or so of a 4 story building, and the ceilings seem to stretch another floor high.  It was like finding an Easter Egg, that basketball court in the middle of campus in an old building.

I was gonna say Anna Hiss until you said third floor. No clue 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jdhorn92 said:

My memory is shot but early 2000s i played basketball at some smaller campus building that wasnt gregory. Couldve been Anna Hiss like UTPhil mentioned?

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

My memory is shot but early 2000s i played basketball at some smaller campus building that wasnt gregory. Couldve been Anna Hiss like UTPhil mentioned?

Yeah just looked up some old pictures of AH, yeah that's it for sure.  Thank you, great memory of my time on the 40

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

I know it wasn't ground floor, so not 100% on 3rd floor, but i know the ceilings were very high

Yes, tall ceiling. I think I also watched UT women Volleyball there because of modest sized crowd

• Hook 'Em 1

We used to play ping pong at Anna Hiss between classes.

The basement also had plaques and awards for an archery club that were probably 20-30 years old.  The coolest were the mounted arrows that split arrows, disney robin hood style.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

This was the era of Air Jihad if anyone remembers (lol). Dude was actually Indian / South Asian, and played with a turban hence the nickname. He was pretty good
Pritpal.

I want to know where this random basketball court is/was.

On 3/24/2024 at 6:08 PM, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

"Oh. Here's a 4 page thread on trivia I'm sure is probably full of interesting and strange facts. Let's just go ahead and click on this last page and see what's in here."

On 3/24/2024 at 8:07 PM, InkaUtexas said:

What do you expect? This is the Surly.

Same and I find out that Teddy Roosevelt is still alive and a semi successful B-list actor. Who knew ?

• 4 weeks later...

I didn’t t realize that Sorrell Brooke, the guy who played Boss Hogg in The Dukes of Hazzard, was fluent in French, Latin, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Ukrainian, Belarusian, German, Greek and Italian, and knew a decent bit of  Arabic, Mandarin Chinese, Dutch, Persian, Polish, and Swedish. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I didn’t t realize that Sorrell Brooke, the guy who played Boss Hogg in The Dukes of Hazzard, was fluent in French, Latin, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Ukrainian, Belarusian, German, Greek and Italian, and knew a decent bit of  Arabic, Mandarin Chinese, Dutch, Persian, Polish, and Swedish. 

Now I want to hear Boss Hogg say "Rosco, that road better be shut down tighter than a tick's ass!" in every one of those languages. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

On 3/24/2024 at 9:26 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

You were probably high.

On a side note, I spent hours and hours and hours as a child sitting in front of our big stereo console that was like a piece of furniture, listening to the red and blue Beatles greatest hits albums, reading and singing along with the lyrics in the liner notes.

I could never find an exact match but the stereo console looked something like these:

IMG_2096.thumb.png.326322f6aa8795262d2edf893b20d3e4.png

IMG_2095.thumb.jpeg.d7e17a023dabd2c8a4f7c05893d67366.jpeg

It's the tubes, man. Nothing sounds as good as tubes. 

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Another one of those old sdchool guys that just led an amazing life. Enrolled at Columbia at 16.  MFA from Yale after that.  Served as a counter-intel office in the Army during Korea.  Was chubby, but actually wore additional padding to make himself seem really rotund for the role of Boss Hogg.  

I forget the term, but there are many poly-lingual people.  I can speak English and Spanish fluently, and even a little German.  But I have to really stop and switch my brain around to reboot another language.  But I've seen some interviews of him and he's one of those rare people that can just seamlessly switch languages mid-sentence and you don't even notice it.  There was a Mexican Consulate a few years back here in Austin, she could do the same thing with about a half-dozen languages.  I know a bunch of languages when I hear them, despite not being able to speak them, having grown up in a very multi-nationality neighborhood.  But it blows me away when people can do that.  There's lots of folks that can speak more than one language, but almost nobody can do it on the fly like Boss Hogg. 

csb/ One other time I was blown away was this Indian gentleman and I were playing blackjack off the coast of Morocco.  The dealer and I were speaking Spanish, both with a Castellano accent.  He was speaking in Spanish as well but with a different accent.  He eventually asks me if I'm American and starts speaking in English perfectly, on the fly.  And a man from Sweden sits down between us and he effortlessly moved into Swedish and then took a call from his wife in Hindi.  But he could change accents on a dime.  It's very rare to see that in real time.  /csb

• Like 4

I know that term.  But there’s a different SLP term for people that move between 3+ languages in a single sentence/breath.  It’s extremely rare.  Most us have to pause and ‘switch channels’, but there are a rare few (estimated to just be a Few hundred thousand) who can go seamlessly between languages in a literal instant and continue to same train of thought. I know I’m not explaining it correctly.  My mom can kinda do it a few words at a time between Spanish and English.  But I’ve seen people who can speak an article/pronoun in one language; and then conjugate a verb in another, then a noun or adverb in a third language all in an instant sentence.  It’s very rare but you know it when you hear it.  

I have a degree in linguistics and can't ever recall having a specific term for someone who can instantaneously move between languages in a sentence. Code-switching is the term I'm aware of that probably comes closest. Even though in America it usually refers someone changing their dialect depending on social context, it also applies to using more than one language within a singular discourse (sentence, conversation, whatever) 🤷‍♀️

Edited by safe sex
  • Like 2

Yeah, I guess code-switch would be the closest thing. My mom kinda does it in Spanish.  One accent/vocabulary with her relatives and then another for strangers/public who speak Spanish.  We all subconsciously do it in English as well.  

my wife is a multi-degreed SLP and has met a handful of clients who had articulation issues and would switch languages on a dime to avoid the struggle of trying to complete the sentence in the other language.  It’s a really interesting phenomenon when you get to 3+ languages.  These are people who are relatively “regular” intelligence wise.  But have this one particular skill that allows them to blend together languages that have no construct similarities.  The few encounters I’ve had and some her stories just boggle the mind.  

• Drool 1

Yeah, I guess code-switch would be the closest thing. My mom kinda does it in Spanish.  One accent/vocabulary with her relatives and then another for strangers/public who speak Spanish.  We all subconsciously do it in English as well.  

my wife is a multi-degreed SLP and has met a handful of clients who had articulation issues and would switch languages on a dime to avoid the struggle of trying to complete the sentence in the other language.  It’s a really interesting phenomenon when you get to 3+ languages.  These are people who are relatively “regular” intelligence wise.  But have this one particular skill that allows them to blend together languages that have no construct similarities.  The few encounters I’ve had and some her stories just boggle the mind.  

My daughter’s gift is languages, it kinda humbles me. She was excited to tell us about an interview she had with a recruiter in London last week (the recruitment is for multi lingual jobs). During the interview, the recruiter shifted into German, and my daughter followed. Then she shifted into French, same thing. The recruiter commented on how she was impressed at how seamlessly she did so.
I speak mediocre Spanish, and my shift is awkward as hell. So, point to the daughter.
  • Hook 'Em 1

That’s awesome.  I can kinda do it mid sentence with other Spanish speakers but it’s clunky.  But when can people can do it smoothly in more than 2 languages on the fly, it’s just nuts to me.  I mean, just think the basics of Spanish subjunctive and the English version of it.  It’s a tectonic shift.  Let along to move to German and its bizarre use of adjectives.  

holy shit.  Where’s the Tylenol?