2024 MLB Season Thread - Catch All

tx 3 putt

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Scraps said:

Ruled a homer

Discuss

It hits the wall first, which would be in play. If it bounces out after that, it should be a ground rule double. 

That Canseco head boink also should have been a ground rule double, since he was clearly inside the field of play. 

The only time this should ever been in question is when an outfielder tries to jump above the wall, and the ball deflects off him and out of the field. 

Edited by Dutchrudder

2 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

i feel like the world series is going to be whichever team from each league can field a major league roster by the end.

It’s not full squads. But does feel like feel like full starting rotations. Getting worse than NFL quarterbacks 

They didn't. 

Now, with the Orioles calling up Holliday on April 10, it turns out they’re not even concerned about getting that extra year. Under MLB’s rules for service time, a season lasts for 187 days but a full season for service time purposes counts as 172 days. There have only been 12 days since the O’s season began on March 28, so Holliday is in line to get 175 days.

----

With Holliday arriving in time to get the full year of service after all, he will still potentially qualify the Orioles for a bonus draft pick under the Prospect Promotion Incentive. That’s the same thing that got the O’s a bonus pick in this year’s draft thanks to Gunnar Henderson winning Rookie of the Year last season. Holliday would have to win ROY himself, or finish in the top 3 for MVP voting within his first three seasons, to qualify the O’s for a pick.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

So just random but i saw Holliday will be wearing #7....first since Cal Ripken Sr to wear if for Orioles.

I was young and recall Cal Sr., know who he was etc. But after looking him up I don't know how I knew of him because in my head I was thinking he must have managed the Orioles for 10 years or something. No he managed for 169 games and went 68-101.

My knowledge of him must have been only because he was Cal and fuckfaces dad.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

So just random but i saw Holliday will be wearing #7....first since Cal Ripken Sr to wear if for Orioles.

I was young and recall Cal Sr., know who he was etc. But after looking him up I don't know how I knew of him because in my head I was thinking he must have managed the Orioles for 10 years or something. No he managed for 169 games and went 68-101.

My knowledge of him must have been only because he was Cal and fuckfaces dad.

That’s understandable.  But take my word for it, you’d know all about Cal Sr’s place in Orioles history had you been an O’s fan in the day.

The Oriole Way … 1966-1983

• Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 6:07 PM, Helobious said:

TLDR: I fucking suck

And he would sit you down in three pitches.

COVID impacted a LOT of young careers, so I cut a lot of slack for these guys. 

My nephew was drafted in the 5th round by the Dodgers in 2017.  He was already behind the 8-ball because he went on a 2-yr mission after high school and missed two years of development in competitive ball.  He did fine at the Rookie level in the partial 2017 season.  He flat out sucked and was injured at the A-level and went back to Rookie ball in 2018.  He turned it around in 2019 with the best SO/9 and BB/9 of his career and was excited for the next season. 

Then COVID hit in 2020 and it all went poof.  He was already old for the level he was at, so missing a year erased any minute chance he might have had left.  The Dodgers released him in the great cull.  COVID was like a Thanos snap for the minors.  By the time things got started back up in 2021, 25% of MiLB teams just disappeared in the reorg. 

So I have a lot of respect for the guys who survived that and navigated through the wreckage to keep their careers going.

Clicked on Miguel Rojas' player page earlier, he has 109 career games at 1B, but only 9 starts there. 
Without Google, anyone remember the Mia 1B they didn't trust at all to finish games in '16/18? His career crashed hard. 
Logan something?

Edit....he was already gone by then it looks like

No, Morrison hit & threw lefty, was before the other guy. Big boy that hit left, threw right. 
I now remember who it is because i literally watched a vid of him blasting balls into the river against Archer like a week ago lol (but not when he was on marlins)

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Dude went from a 143 OPS+ in ‘17 to done 2 years later. Baseball, man. 

Well damn I still had it wrong.  I finally looked it up.  I thought it was Dietrich cause I knew he played some 1B(even though I knew it wasn't primary spot for him) also bats left and throws right 

double fail 

Imma sit the rest of this one out 

Edited by Scraps