Greatest drummer of all time?

ztejas

As if anyone needs anymore Ginger Baker evidence, give the live version of City of Gold a listen. We play this with my sometimes band. We end up sounding more like an Aerosmith version basically because we are all just overgrown rockers and our drummer, while without a doubt the best drummer I’ve ever played with, plays it with this big arena style pocket. Which works. But pay attention to GB in this version. That fucking grooooooooove man. Got damn.

Has to be some much fun to play with someone who can lay that shit down.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

As if anyone needs anymore Ginger Baker evidence, give the live version of City of Gold a listen. We play this with my sometimes band. We end up sounding more like an Aerosmith version basically because we are all just overgrown rockers and our drummer, while without a doubt the best drummer I’ve ever played with, plays it with this big arena style pocket. Which works. But pay attention to GB in this version. That fucking grooooooooove man. Got damn.

Has to be some much fun to play with someone who can lay that shit down.

Great video. Gary Moore was a virtuoso!

favorite != best etc etc i was in awe of carter beauford in the 90s.  he did things i flat out couldn't figure out.  it wasn't til later i realized he was left-handed and that unraveled a small part of the mystery. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Deej said:

Are we just going to ignore Meg White? 

Jack White's sister?  ;)  

The Peacock version of his band.  I don't know her name, but she is fucking nails on a simple kit.  Like Patrick Carney level good.  

I saw the Foo Fighters for the first time at ACL last year, so never saw Tyler Hawkins live. But holy shit Josh Freese blew my fucking socks off.

And the Foo vets said he was great but Tyler was better. So there’s that.

And I Van Halen junkie who saw them 6 times and would vote Alex VH way up the list

• Hook 'Em 2

*Taylor Hawkins had a groove that neither Freese nor Grohl have.  That's why I preferred Hawkins to both.  Frankly, I think Freese is a mismatch, just a little too punk for that band.  I've seen him play a bunch (Westerberg, The Replacements, etc.) and I love him in the right situation, but I don't think he's right for the Foos.  (I was at that ACL Fest show, weekend 1.)

I don't "get" Alex Van Halen at all.  For one thing, his drums sound like shit.  He plays OK, but it's not my cup of tea.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/23/2024 at 8:01 PM, Gil Bang said:

The answer is Ringo.  The answer has always been Ringo.   Every fucking thing he did was perfect for the song.

Listen to this motherfucking hi-hat.   No other drummer on earth would have the imagination to put it RIGHT THERE WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE

a lot of assholes hit the drums hard, like Moon and Bonham.  Ringo does it perfectly, every single time.

Gil Bang'd

48 minutes ago, ztejas said:

To throw a wrench into things - a contemporary guy I really, really like (a little hip-hop/rock fusion).

Ha, that's one of the dudes who has been really cool to my daughter on their travels.  He came to see them in Louisville.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Ha, that's one of the dudes who has been really cool to my daughter on their travels.  He came to see them in Louisville.

I would highly recommend seeing them live. 

They back up everything they do in the studio.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/26/2024 at 8:27 PM, jimmyjazz said:

*Taylor Hawkins had a groove that neither Freese nor Grohl have.  That's why I preferred Hawkins to both.  Frankly, I think Freese is a mismatch, just a little too punk for that band.  I've seen him play a bunch (Westerberg, The Replacements, etc.) and I love him in the right situation, but I don't think he's right for the Foos.  (I was at that ACL Fest show, weekend 1.)

I don't "get" Alex Van Halen at all.  For one thing, his drums sound like shit.  He plays OK, but it's not my cup of tea.

I’ll take Taylor too.

I totally agree about Freese.  It’s just sort of rushed, like Matt Cameron with PJ.

On 3/26/2024 at 6:27 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I don't "get" Alex Van Halen at all.  For one thing, his drums sound like shit. 

I Guess If You Say So GIF

You're not wrong. Granted everything from 1984 on was on Simmons drums, because there wasn't enough room in Ed's studio for anything bigger. Then you hear him on "Live Without a Net" and it's like... oh. Much better.

But even the early stuff... yeah, dunno why he tuned em like that.

The value, though, is that shuffle feel he has, especially when Ed's doing the shuffle feel on his guitar at the same time. See "Hot for Teacher" above.

On 3/27/2024 at 11:54 AM, Greg Davis Apologist said:

Does Danny Carey count?

60+ posts to get this name. Unreal. I was able to master polyrhythm on snare drum during my marching days but he does it while playing a kit and getting hit with multiple time signature changes during a 12 minute song. It's the craziest thing I've ever seen.

• Like 2

Unless it is specifically about rock guys. I always find it interesting guys like Max Roach, Sunny Grier or Lenny White never get mentioned in these conversations. It seems as if people are often judging the music they played and not necessarily the talent of the musician. 

Unless it is specifically about rock guys. I always find it interesting guys like Max Roach, Sunny Grier or Lenny White never get mentioned in these conversations. It seems as if people are often judging the music they played and not necessarily the talent of the musician. 

How about Hal Blaine? That dude is a fucking legend and played on more #1’s than anybody.

There just isn’t a way to determine who the best drummer is. Same for guitarists. Same for painters. Same for athletes.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

How about Hal Blaine? That dude is a fucking legend and played on more #1’s than anybody.

There just isn’t a way to determine who the best drummer is. Same for guitarists. Same for painters. Same for athletes.

Blaine is criminally underrated.  

To your other point...with all due respect to drummers (one of the only 2 instruments I ever got decent at)...let's be honest---99% of the time they don't write the music.  They do drive the song, but they don't originate it in most cases.  So I find "best guitarist" rankings bullshit because there's great guitarists that play well but write shit (Eric Clapton, I'm looking at you), there's guys that write incredibly but aren't that fantastic on the fret board.  There are guys that can do just crazy shit with their bottom hand (that's what she said).  and other guys that go riffs, and straight up blues chords, and on and on and on and back to songwriting via the guitar.  Most drummers aren't charged with the songwriting (obviously there are exceptions).  So I prefer to break them out into styles and genres.  The technical prowess and timekeeping is pretty much universal across all types so it's really just a question of blues, jazz, rock, country, etc.  You can either kill the kit or you can't, no matter what the guitarist and keyboardist are doing or what they wrote.  But every once in awhile, somebody comes along despite not much songwriting contribution and just takes over a whole fucking album.  Bonham, Moon, Carney, Bruford, Blaine, and a few others.  You can strip away the other instruments and vocals from the track and the thing just fucking gleams.  

Blaine is criminally underrated.  
To your other point...with all due respect to drummers (one of the only 2 instruments I ever got decent at)...let's be honest---99% of the time they don't write the music.  They do drive the song, but they don't originate it in most cases.  So I find "best guitarist" rankings bullshit because there's great guitarists that play well but write shit (Eric Clapton, I'm looking at you), there's guys that write incredibly but aren't that fantastic on the fret board.  There are guys that can do just crazy shit with their bottom hand (that's what she said).  and other guys that go riffs, and straight up blues chords, and on and on and on and back to songwriting via the guitar.  Most drummers aren't charged with the songwriting (obviously there are exceptions).  So I prefer to break them out into styles and genres.  The technical prowess and timekeeping is pretty much universal across all types so it's really just a question of blues, jazz, rock, country, etc.  You can either kill the kit or you can't, no matter what the guitarist and keyboardist are doing or what they wrote.  But every once in awhile, somebody comes along despite not much songwriting contribution and just takes over a whole fucking album.  Bonham, Moon, Carney, Bruford, Blaine, and a few others.  You can strip away the other instruments and vocals from the track and the thing just fucking gleams.  

I dont disagree with any of that.

I think it’s one of the things that makes Peart so great - he was instrumental in the entire process for almost everything and if you strip away the noise, his playing is fucking incredible.

So many great ones.
  • Like 1

Yeah, I worshipped Peart as a young man.  And then just got older and fell outta love with Rush.  Then he passed away and got all this adulation and I went a did a deep dive again into their catalogue but I felt like my adoration of him was just out of nostalgia and him dying prematurely.  But I should go back and listen to him again with Geddy Lee's voice/bass taken out because Neil had this really interesting syncopation with Lifeson that I used to be able to pick up on.  I'm old now and can't pick up on musical subtleties like I used to, but I should give 'em a go.  

Not as much as I used to, but I still will tap on the office desk at home with feet too mimicking the bass drum.  And my oldest will come to hear what I'm listening to and try to to "play" along with me.  And we played some Bonham videos and a few others.  And she loved it.  And then I pull up a couple of Watts videos and she just got it.  She basically says, "It sounds like he's dragging a little bit behind the beat on purpose."  I was so damn proud.  

2 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

3 monsters that complimented each other at the highest levels. We were lucky to get what they created.

meh.  It kinda sucked, but if you liked it, good for you. 

• 2 weeks later...

The drummer from sleep token. He's not the greatest but I do enjoy his playing. I posted this guy on the other drum thread too.

He won Drumeo's award for drummer of the year and metal drummer of the Year. I don't know if those are legit awards. 

For some reason the band insists on staying anonymous, so he's taken down all his his YouTube videos from before he put on the mask but those videos had a lot of jazz and hip hop. 

Anyway, here he is with his former band from 8 years ago.