Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

10 minutes ago, WBT said:

We do?

Leon, Loperfido, Corona, and that doesn’t include top prospect Melton.  Most likely none of them are future all-stars but might have Chas McCormick level potential.  In a lost season I’d probably give Trey Cabbage 200 at bats. 

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

Can someone get fired already...i mean act like we give a shit....pitching coach, GM, manager, my boy Joe who does the in game hosting....idgaf

Needs to start with Dana. Then Joe by ASB 

28 minutes ago, Scraps said:

At least we can sign Bregman to like a 5 yr 75m contract now woot woot

Easy there Wulaw 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pressley 

Bielak

Martimez

jake

chas

montero 🙏🙏🙏

Hader 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏 maybe he’ll ok a trade to a Team going to playoffs 

Singelton 

Dubin 

Framber 

Brown 

all need to stay steady so they can become prime trade bait 

The Astros have hit gold before dumping mid to below avg players

Pressley 
Bielak
Martimez
jake
chas
montero
Hader maybe he’ll ok a trade to a Team going to playoffs 
Singelton 
Dubin 
Framber 
Brown 

all need to stay steady so they can become prime trade bait 
The Astros have hit gold before dumping mid to below avg players
Aint no one getting traded...also the guys people want are gonna be Dubon and Tucker not shitstains
  • Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’d take dusty bottoms back right now and not even think twice about it.

Even though Espada sucks, he is not the reason for this flameout. The triumvirate of Bagwell, Crane and Brown need to be flushed in the toilet. Dana is the worst Astros GM of my lifetime. Even worse than Púrpura.

Edited by Macklemore

5 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Even though Espada sucks, he is not the reason for this flameout. The triumvirate of Bagwell, Crane and Brown need to be flushed in the toilet. Dana is the worst Astros GM of my lifetime. Even worse than Púrpura.

I'm not so sure.  Multiple orgs passed on him.  Certainly Bag/Brown/Crane are responsible for whats ON the field.  Espada keeps going with some shitty lineups.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

The farm is in shambles. Very little of that is Dana’s fault. 
I’d take Luhnow back in a second but let’s not let him skate on the cheating scandal and losing first and second round picks in ‘20 and ‘21.

sure 4 picks don’t make your system, but that is absolutely crushing when you are trying to keep a window open and should be the first thing pointed out when people complain about Astros getting off light for the scandal.

I can make an argument that single handedly took a couple of years off the window 

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pablo said:

I'm not so sure.  Multiple orgs passed on him.  Certainly Bag/Brown/Crane are responsible for whats ON the field.  Espada keeps going with some shitty lineups.

When Charlie strong was hired by UT Scipio wrote a preview book and he had like a choose your own adventure where he wrote “the optimists case for Charlie strong, the pessimists case for Charlie strong and Charlie strong middle ground or some such”. When we did our pod after Espada was hired that was kind of how we handled it- I sort of bitched a little and said- eh- who knows. Didn’t like it. Figured it would be better than Dusty and you couldn’t fuck this team up. I’m not saying it’s his fault, but he’s pretty clearly not the guy either. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

When Charlie strong was hired by UT Scipio wrote a preview book and he had like a choose your own adventure where he wrote “the optimists case for Charlie strong, the pessimists case for Charlie strong and Charlie strong middle ground or some such”. When we did our pod after Espada was hired that was kind of how we handled it- I sort of bitched a little and said- eh- who knows. Didn’t like it. Figured it would be better than Dusty and you couldn’t fuck this team up. I’m not saying it’s his fault, but he’s pretty clearly not the guy either. 

I don't know what it is, but this team seems to have no juice.  No fucks given, win or lose.

1 minute ago, Pablo said:

I don't know what it is, but this team seems to have no juice.  No fucks given, win or lose.

For what it’s worth, I’d have a hard time giving a fuck too after playing ~180 games for each of the last 7 years. Cant blame em for some natural burnout but that’s where a good manager earns his keep. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

For what it’s worth, I’d have a hard time giving a fuck too after playing ~180 games for each of the last 7 years. Cant blame em for some natural burnout but that’s where a good manager earns his keep. 

I can understand that too.  Burnout, Injuries, Flippant management oversite going into Spring (all the rotation being on IL).  A manager with some stones would have them at least giving a fuck.

5 minutes ago, Pablo said:

I can understand that too.  Burnout, Injuries, Flippant management oversite going into Spring (all the rotation being on IL).  A manager with some stones would have them at least giving a fuck.

IMG_0075.jpeg

Look for mmp to get less crowded . They won't drop prices. Bregs is out of his mind if he thinks some team will pay him 25 mill plus a season. Crane is to blame for this. Should have mlb to fuck off concerning the "scandal" given that evidence of many other mlb teams doing the same. Think he stopped listening to baseball/analysis dept. Now it's just the eye test and back of Baseball cards that determine roster

• Rage+1 1

28 minutes ago, Pablo said:

24 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I can promise you that there is not the 1:1 correlation between caring and performance that message board posters think there is

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I said at the time I’d like to have gone outside the organization for someone from another smart org for cross pollination or a different viewpoint/ or hired a guy that had proven they could handle a championship team. We did neither. 
we used to be on the cutting edge in looking for little edges. I don’t know that we are innovative anymore. 
we’ve also been incredibly unlucky(injuries and field of play) and to top it all off we’ve played exactly 5 games against teams with records under 500, and we are 4-1 in those games. 
just a perfect storm of shit but man, doesn’t feel like we will ever be able to recover this year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I said at the time I’d like to have gone outside the organization for someone from another smart org for cross pollination or a different viewpoint/ or hired a guy that had proven they could handle a championship team. We did neither. 
we used to be on the cutting edge in looking for little edges. I don’t know that we are innovative anymore. 
we’ve also been incredibly unlucky(injuries and field of play) and to top it all off we’ve played exactly 5 games against teams with records under 500, and we are 4-1 in those games. 
just a perfect storm of shit but man, doesn’t feel like we will ever be able to recover this year. 

We're 12 under, we aren't going to recover this year, I don't see this team going on a 8-10 game run and if they did we'd still be under. Analytics is what got us on the run we had, no fucking clue why they moved away from it because the "eye test" "back of a baseball card" is what we have now and it sure is shit ain't working in modern baseball.

As a fan I understand runs come to end but this, this is shit and it was easily preventable

5 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

If you are gm at all star break and astros are below 500 by 10 games. What do you do?

Trade Kyle Tucker to add 3 elite prospects.

Shop Valdez, Pressly, Montero, and Urquidy to see if anyone offers more than they’re worth, but keep the prices high and hang on to them if nobody overpays

Find a different manager with better luck

Hope:

Bregman accepts the QO for a 2025 rebound year

Singleton, Loperfido, and Meyers get established as quality everyday players 

Diaz and Pena take the next step to establish themselves as star players

McCormick, Alvarez, Brown, Arrighetti, B Abreu, and Hader rebound

McCullers and Garcia come back healthy and effective

A few guys from the farm take big steps forward

Theres a fuckload of talent on this team, they’ve just not played up to it

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Season will be over by memorial day

Dana Brown today said he can't imagine a scenario where the Astros are sellers this season, so that means we'll be contenders all the way until the trade deadline!

Either that or Dana Brown is a total idiot.

• Hook 'Em 1

We’re two weeks ahead of the ‘19 Nats on getting to 12 games under 

hoping that means the rebound starts earlier and we sniff .500 earlier.

but still not panicking until at least Memorial Day.

Haven’t even played the A’s or Angels yet. Now, if we don’t go 7-3 in the 10 games we have against them before Memorial Day, yeah. Might be time to look at selling 

• Hook 'Em 1

I miss Sig and Mike and David and the gang

https://www.wsj.com/sports/baseball/baltimore-orioles-david-rubenstein-3cdeb405?st=a04ocdo775lg7a0&reflink=article_copyURL_share

How the Baltimore Orioles Pulled Off an Astronomical Turnaround

The Orioles followed the Astros’ playbook in their rise from laughingstock to championship contender. Now, with Houston faltering, the students have become the masters.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I think this...

10 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

begets this...

10 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

we’ve also been incredibly unlucky

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

I thought after 2022, they were going to go on a heck of run.  In reality it was just that a whole bunch of dudes had their career year at the same time.

Edited by kevwun