Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

Posted (edited)

I would like to see Tucker batting lead off moving forward. He'd be like Springer. Just a much better understanding of the strike zone than Altuve.

Tucker, Altuve, Alvarez, Pena, Singleton, Bregman, Diaz/Caratini, Loperfido, Meyers. Though I would still get rid of Meyers and bring up Leon.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Astros Fielding by OAA (Outs Above Average)

2021: +35
2022: +36
2023: +7
2024: -3

I'd speculate that the restrictions on shifting has played a fairly meaningful role here, but that trend is still concerning. 
The Astros were so good for so long about maximizing value on the margins. That advantage is gone now, IMO.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I would like to see Tucker batting lead off moving forward. He'd be like Springer. Just a much better understanding of the strike zone than Altuve.

tucker 

Altuve 

yordan

pena 

Diaz/Bregman

Bregman/Diaz 

Doobie

Singelton 

JLope/Jake/Chas

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Astros Fielding by OAA (Outs Above Average)

2021: +35
2022: +36
2023: +7
2024: -3

I'd speculate that the restrictions on shifting has played a fairly meaningful role here, but that trend is still concerning. 
The Astros were so good for so long about maximizing value on the margins. That advantage is gone now, IMO.

They are worse at 2 infield positions now than when they were elite defensively.  The dropoff from Correa to Pena isn't huge, but 1st is big.  Having a 1st basemen who catches everything he can get a glove on makes the entire infield better.  The outfield is also worse because Meyers arm is so bad.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, kevwun said:

They are worse at 2 infield positions now than when they were elite.  The outfield is also worse because Meyers arm is so bad.

no shift. The Astros were the master at shifting 

Posted (edited)

That definitely helps, but the defense just isn't as good as it used to be.  Luhnow and Click valued it.  Now that numbers aren't important anymore, it doesn't play in to the calculations.  Click might have refused to sign Abreu just because of how terrible he is defensively, money not even considered.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

Chas McCormick will join José Urquidy in San Antonio with the Hooks. McCormick said he’s playing in the outfield tomorrow and may play a couple more times before he returns. He said his hamstring feels great.

June 2 game vs Twins bumped up an hour to 12:05. (Sucks for me who already has tickets and plans to arrive at 1 coming from Austin)

Part of new (free to watch) MLB agreement with Roku.

so congrats to Kalas/Blum who get a day off (unless Roku is using the home announcers for their national broadcast)

https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games/help-center/subscription-access-mlb-on-the-roku-channel

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

That definitely helps, but the defense just isn't as good as it used to be.  Luhnow and Click valued it.  Now that numbers aren't important anymore, it doesn't play in to the calculations.  Click might have refused to sign Abreu just because of how terrible he is defensively, money not even considered.

im curious now if click was anti Abreu deal and that sealed his fate 

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

IMG_0225.png

June 2 game vs Twins bumped up an hour to 12:05. (Sucks for me who already has tickets and plans to arrive at 1 coming from Austin)

so congrats to Kalas/Blum who get a day off (unless Roku is using the home announcers for their national broadcast)
https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games/help-center/subscription-access-mlb-on-the-roku-channel

I saw this today. I use a Roku stick but never go to their shitty Live TV service so I guess i will get to see this game...not reallu sure.

Seems like another dumbass agreement they did

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Jeez, enough with this shit.  Bring back every game on 20vision and HSE.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

I saw this today. I use a Roku stick but never go to their shitty Live TV service so I guess i will get to see this game...not reallu sure.

Seems like another dumbass agreement they did

I recently re-watched Lonesome Dove through the Roku channel (35th year anniversary this year)

thats all I got 

1 minute ago, wood said:

This just in: Play-by-play is is hard af.

Reddick sounds great with Ford on the radio.

but they’re talking easy stuff. A lot about Reddick’s career.

I’m sure it’ll be a harder listen by the end of this series 

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

Pena is better defensively than Correa now, but Altuve is likely in the bottom 5 defensively among everyday 2B, combine that with the sieve at 1B with either Abreu or Singleton. The shifting was able to hide Altuve, but that is no longer the case.

Unfortunately for Spaghetti, you need 3 outs to get out of an inning. Seems like it's always like this with him. Gets 2 and then takes a little vacation or something.