Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

How do guys like Altuve and Tucker only have 1 SB so far?

I mean I guess I understand how Jose doesn’t have more considering Altuve is apparently Spanish for TOOTBLAN and he hits in front of Yordan… and I guess Tucker doesn’t because he’s usually circling all 4 bases at once.

but it’s frustrating when you see your catcher be a permanent green light (0 for 11 so far on SB attempts) and assume that’s how every catcher is 

16 hours ago, Hornsbay22 said:

Forgot a note from today's game: I hate 3-0 swings and call them selfish, my brother and I get in a lot of arguments over this often.  I just think base runners lead to more runs, why swing when you're only successful at hitting 30% of the time.  Anyways Altuves 2nd bomb may have changed me. 

I think it depends on the player. If you're a guy like Singleton, Meyers, Dubon, Abreu, etc, don't swing. If you're a badass hitter in top 4 of the lineup, swing away. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I think it depends on the player. If you're a guy like Singleton, Meyers, Dubon, Abreu, etc, don't swing. If you're a badass hitter in top 4 of the lineup, swing away. 

Agreed. Also if your on a heater and seeing beachballs up there, like Altuve, absolutly sit on that FB down the middle. 

18 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Yeah to me it's an on base percentage question.  If you get on base >= 35% of the time then I think you should have the freedom to make the call

42 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I want it both ways.  I cringe when they take a 3-0 meatball right down the middle.  Then I cuss when they pop the same ball up or ground out.

This too lol

3-0 is a pitching machine count. If there were a machine out there throwing that pitcher's fastball and you set it up for the location you prefer what does that look like? Prepare for that pitch and if it comes then obliterate it. 

You should absolutely never want an above average major league hitter to take the pitch Altuve hit for his second bomb last night. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Our top five(yes i am including Bregman) not swinging on 3-0 pisses me off and is fucktarded cause it seems to normally be a fastball on a tee.

Then it seems that they always swing 3-1 at a worse pitch and either foul or miss it. Then opportunity lost.

I have no backing stats on this it just seems like 3-0 watch, 3-1 auto swing and foul off/miss.

24 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I'm sure it's been discussed on this thread but is there any particular reason we haven't signed Brandon Belt by now?  I'd rather have him than Singleton and I'd rather have him start than Abreu....

Too busy add/dropping crap relievers 

24 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I'm sure it's been discussed on this thread but is there any particular reason we haven't signed Brandon Belt by now?  I'd rather have him than Singleton and I'd rather have him start than Abreu....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, WBT said:

Meyers's 106 wRC+ sitting for Dubon's 78 again.

Yeah was annoyed by seeing Dubon in center tonight

sends a great message to a guy all spring that you trust him and going to give him every opportunity …and then only start him in 10 out of the team’s first 18 games.

24 minutes ago, huge said:

And Doobs had a higher OPS in 2023 than Jake.  How dissimilar are their results, generally?

Fangraphs won't do wRC+ or OPS+ but WOBA is similar

image.png.d6bab31c2c2763d536e7f5731fa9a673.png

I think Meyers is a little bit better in CF and at the plate.  He's had his struggles since the injury for sure.

Dubon just never walks and has so little power that I don't see as much upside.

Edited by WBT