Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

How does a professional baseball player not get a man on third home with one out?
How does that happen?

Because there’s zero accountability for failing in that situation. They can just shrug and say “that’s baseball!” and then go check their account balance…
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, UTHornFan014 said:

By popping it up in the infield for the 97th time this season? 🤬

usually it's by striking out but that was more creative

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

How does a professional baseball player not get a man on third home with one out?

How does that happen?

For MLB, with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs, the runner scored on 50.1% of plate appearances last year.

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

How does that happen?

The success rate at that has been around 50% for years.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

How does that happen?

astros have lost 86% of extra inning games the past two season or so 

Tough loss last night. I could sense the force was weak in this fanbase yesterday. People better get their minds right tonight, we all need this win. Not ready to call for a fans only meeting but it’s getting real close to that time.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Leon has taken a long time to adjust at every level.  He's going to struggle for awhile if he gets called up and strikeout a lot.  It would create a hole in the lineup.  They need to either sign a replacement or play Dubon there.

Edited by kevwun

40 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

There was this gem of a play by Joey, who appears to be one of our OFs of the future.  

Such a badass play.  It’s amazing how much different it is when a player can contribute in the field.  Nobody is calling for Bregman’s head yet even though he has a wRC+ of sixtyfuckingthree because even if hes not hitting he usually makes the tough plays at 3B.  That was a big part of what made Abreu so hard to watch, an absolute zero at the plate, then he’d fuck up easy plays in the field.

Hopefully Loperfido can end up a high level defender at 1B.

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

I thought about him being Bregman's replacement next year.  Not the ideal power for 3rd, but it looks like he's a better hitter than Bregman overall.

No it doesn't

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

I know this was two nights ago but didn’t see it mentioned so coming back to it…

There are many things to point to why we were 9-19 going in to our last game of April but the fact that we had 0 (ZERO!!!!) home runs from 1st AND 3rd has to be pretty high in the list.

like how many times in MLB history has a team taken until game 30 to get a HR from either of those positions?

Edited by UTexasFight

Lance McCullers, Jr. tells me his coffee project has helped reinvigorate him to attack his rehab.”

That’s not exactly what he said.

“For me, kind of chasing down this dream, alongside my rehab, has kind of reinvigorated me” is what he said. 

But then he goes on to credit this project with somehow allowing him to give the best of himself to his rehab. So flame away

the Don Draper gif above is the perfect response to all of this 

So the coffee people and business associates are his support for rehab. Well… ok then. 
Are they helping with spin rate, or how to froth a cappuccino?

I think I see why so many arms have gone down. Please go get Strom back. 

40+ years ago guys took 2nd jobs to maintain a reasonable lifestyle because wages in MLB were so.

now MLBers own the jobs the old MLBers used to do because the new MLBers get hurt and have too much money and time on their hands

What are your October plans ?

The Astros are:

1-8 in one run games

1-16 when scoring 3 or fewer runs

3-11 when opponent scores first

0-12 when they are outhit by the other team

2-9 with no home runs

10 losses after leading

0-13 if trailing after 6 innings

• Haha 1