BYU @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Am I the only adult who thinks a grown-ass man retreiving a foul ball and not giving it to a kid is grounds for getting tossed from the ballpark?

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.webp

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

A series loss to a bottom half team in the conference really hurts. Having it happen after you already lost to Baylor in a winnable game and dropped a home series to Washington makes it 10x worse.

The sum of the parts continue to look way worse than the parts themselves.

Shit is getting old.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

No no no. Good or bad, there is no better time of year than Texas baseball season.

Amen brother, we were without due to covid.  I'm looking forward to going to Orlando (even if UCF is going to skullfuck us)...

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

SEC next year will be a bloodbath if changes aren’t made, under .500 in conference play is a real possibility.  

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

People need to stop saying this. Fuck that douchebag.

👀 

25 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Am I the only adult who thinks a grown-ass man retreiving a foul ball and not giving it to a kid is grounds for getting tossed from the ballpark?

25 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Agreed. And this trend has worsened since the 90s. People are super selfish nowadays. 

Fuck them kids. I've gone a lifetime without ever getting a homer or foul ball. I'd donkey punch your mother for my chance. Snot nosed little fucks can learn to stake their claim like adults or get out of the fucking way. This ain't a fucking tea party, it's baseball. For this grown-ass man, I think adults who base their worldview on catering to children are the greater threat to a civil society than the one teaching the rugrat there's no free lunch in life.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Team has more issues than that unfortunately. Wouldn’t want to do that to some poor goat

True but right now the line between winning and losing is pretty thin for this team.  You have to tweak what you can to get the most out of what you have.   Statistically we should not lose series like this.   It supports the thought above that the parts are better than the whole.   We can do better with what we have

6 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Fuck them kids. I've gone a lifetime without ever getting a homer or foul ball. I'd donkey punch your mother for my chance. Snot nosed little fucks can learn to stake their claim like adults or get out of the fucking way. This ain't a fucking tea party, it's baseball. For this grown-ass man, I think adults who base their worldview on catering to children are the greater threat to a civil society than the one teaching the rugrat there's no free lunch in life.

Who cares? It’s just a baseball. It’s just going in the bucket anyway 

10 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

I caught my first foul ball when I was 37 years old. There were no children in the vicinity, but I would have punched the throats of everyone around me for that ball. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I caught my first foul ball when I was 37 years old. There were no children in the vicinity, but I would have punched the throats of everyone around me for that ball. 

I have caught two homers and three foul balls in my youth. I guess a lot of yall never went to games as a kid lol. 

Edited by The_Great_Hornsby

12 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

True but right now the line between winning and losing is pretty thin for this team.  You have to tweak what you can to get the most out of what you have.   Statistically we should not lose series like this.   It supports the thought above that the parts are better than the whole.   We can do better with what we have

I agree but this team has issues that go beyond tweaking. Lebarron’s issues are as much between the ears as they are ability. Same could be said for much of the pitching staff. 

This team doesn’t have much of an approach offensively, just several guys who are individually talented that can hit the ball but don’t know how to navigate an AB. You can see us guessing a lot which is fine when it’s disciplined guessing but we will swing at shit in the dirt in hitters counts. Trying to pull a pitch on the outer third of the plate when the shift is on.

I’ll always support the players who give max effort. This team unfortunately has some guys who are probably very good people, but pussies in the context of sport.

40 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

SEC next year will be a bloodbath if changes aren’t made, under .500 in conference play is a real possibility.  

Well it's a real possibility this year

This is very likely the weekend that Pierce lost me.  I was not very high on him but learned to live with him because he was getting the team to Omaha.  But even with those teams that had early season struggles you could see that the talent was there and felt that they could turn it around and be competitive in the post season.  This year it didn’t show itself early and still isn’t  there.  Time for a change.  

• Hook 'Em 5

its all on him.  he hired the coaches, fired a pretty good pitching coach and said "I'll do it".  the injuries to the transfers and the quitter did hurt.  Witt no showing(not Witt's faut) was not good but you couldn't count on him really anyway.  It was a bonus to potentially have him anyway.

even with his trips to Omaha, it just never really feels like he's the guy to take you all the way.  the slow starts just seem to be a red flag.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm glad I didn't see today's shit show, except for the first inning mega meatball. I'm assuming I missed:

1) guys flailing wildly at 2-0 and 3-1 pitches;

2) at least one botched DP; and

3) someone getting picked off.

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

I went to a Tuesday game about 10 years ago. There was me and about 20 other fans in attendance. A foul ball comes my way. Lands a couple rows back. I’m pumped. Been trying to get one of those fuckers since I was 5. Right as I snagged it some little snot nosed kid walks up and goes “can I have it?” We were on the video screen and everything. I didn’t want to cough it up but I had to. 

Sill fucking pisses me off. Perfect representation of the pussification of America. Back in the day, you had to hop into a pile of white trash that reeked of bourbon and Copenhagen and hope you didn’t get shanked just for a foul ball. Now a kid just had to be in the vicinity and I’m somehow the asshole if I don’t fork the ball over. 

I read this in the voice of Bill Burr in my mind and it was perfect.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Wait…I was told we were going to win every conference series 2-1….

You patiently waited to post that until we lost a series. I'm sure you were ready to pull the trigger during the K State Saturday game.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Horn80 said:

This.  It’s clear the baseball gods are upset with the player’s TikTok antics and “my bad” self taps.  Augie weeps.

I’m telling you, we never should have moved to the 1st base dugout. It’s been a rough road every since 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

You patiently waited to post that until we lost a series. I'm sure you were ready to pull the trigger during the K State Saturday game.

I’ve been calling bullshit on that happening since it was first brought up.

17 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’m telling you, we never should have moved to the 1st base dugout. It’s been a rough road every since 

It's either that or terrible pitcher recruiting. Or maybe some other Pierce-related stuff.

https://www.kxan.com/sports-general/horns-report/longhorns-drop-finale-vs-byu-lose-1st-big-12-series-of-the-season/

KXAN videos can't be embedded but article has a short Pierce interview.   

"evaluate" "Players upset,  but don't always take it the way we do"  "students"  can't continue to beat it up,  makes it tougher"  "Grubbs did not have put away slider"

Would be nice to see complete interview.   Media does not do a good job with baseball and softball.   Perhaps more coverage on the paysites.