Hurt myself on bench press

Posted (edited)

I had an unintentional movement and reposition on my back/lower legs while bringing the weight down and had an awkward bar reposition. Felt a muscle "jiggle" in my shoulder area. Stopped and went home. Now the muscle in between my left TRAP and shoulder blade on my back is in pain when I move my arm around. Nothing hurts per se when Im still but its looking like its gonna get worse before it gets better. No issue on my chest. Initially I felt the jiggle in my left shoulder but now the pain is really on that upper back area. What did I do? how long am I out? What do I need to do to recover? I took 4 advil and am icing my shoulder and upper back area on my left side. Getting old sucks

Pain is where the supraspinatus muscle is on the back side and then the front shoulder deltoid like where my bursa is.

Edited by UTGrad98
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Look, it's clear you want to tell us how much you can bench, so just do it.

Our fantasy football draft order this year is determined by how many times we can rep 135, our vertical, and our 40 time. Basically a combine for slow white old dudes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Funny I just posted about my shoulder MRI in the MRI thread a few hours ago. Hurt my shoulder benching (dumbbells). Symptoms sounded similar to yours. This is what the results showed. I just turned 47. Injured it in December, got the MRI results late January. It is still not healed. I work with a trainer and he works around it. I am a side sleeper that doesn't sleep very well, meaning I toss and turn from one side to the other all night. I believe that sleeping on my left side is preventing it from healing but at this point in my life I value sleep a lot so it's hard to rectify that. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK582148/#:~:text=Distal clavicular osteolysis results from,bench pressing or overhead lifting

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, UTGrad98 said:

I had an unintentional movement and reposition on my back/lower legs while bringing the weight down and had an awkward bar reposition. Felt a muscle "jiggle" in my shoulder area. Stopped and went home. Now the muscle in between my left TRAP and shoulder blade on my back is in pain when I move my arm around. Nothing hurts per se when Im still but its looking like its gonna get worse before it gets better. No issue on my chest. Initially I felt the jiggle in my left shoulder but now the pain is really on that upper back area. What did I do? how long am I out? What do I need to do to recover? I took 4 advil and am icing my shoulder and upper back area on my left side. Getting old sucks

Pain is where the supraspinatus muscle is on the back side and then the front shoulder deltoid like where my bursa is.

Maybe your AC joint? If so, barbell bench press may never really be comfortable again.  

1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

Funny I just posted about my shoulder MRI in the MRI thread a few hours ago. Hurt my shoulder benching (dumbbells). Symptoms sounded similar to yours. This is what the results showed. I just turned 47. Injured it in December, got the MRI results late January. It is still not healed. I work with a trainer and he works around it. I am a side sleeper that doesn't sleep very well, meaning I toss and turn from one side to the other all night. I believe that sleeping on my left side is preventing it from healing but at this point in my life I value sleep a lot so it's hard to rectify that. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK582148/#:~:text=Distal clavicular osteolysis results from,bench pressing or overhead lifting

I'm a stomach sleeper that probably does a few dozen 360s on 5 or 6 hours of sleep each night . When I have access to it, I take about 20 mg of sativa edibles and hour or two before bed and get 8 to 9 hours of deep sleep a night without all the movement. 

16 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I've become a side sleeper in middle age (I'm 49), and over the past year I've found that on more than a few nights I'll wake frequently because the arm on which I'm sleeping will have fallen asleep; it's not particular to any side, and I don't notice any discomfort during the day.  I work out about 4 days a week with weights, and I try not to overdo it and focus on form and not weight, so I haven't had any shoulder injuries or serious pain.  But I wonder if aggravation of the AC joint is just a product of getting older.  I stretch before and after my upper body workouts, but maybe I need to do more or something that specifically targets the AC joint. 

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I've become a side sleeper in middle age (I'm 49), and over the past year I've found that on more than a few nights I'll wake frequently because the arm on which I'm sleeping will have fallen asleep; it's not particular to any side, and I don't notice any discomfort during the day.  I work out about 4 days a week with weights, and I try not to overdo it and focus on form and not weight, so I haven't had any shoulder injuries or serious pain.  But I wonder if aggravation of the AC joint is just a product of getting older.  I stretch before and after my upper body workouts, but maybe I need to do more or something that specifically targets the AC joint. 

There is a pillow made for what you're describing. Something like this. Arm goes in the hole relieving pressure = no more numbness. I can't vouch for it but I'm sure it won't be long before this starts happening to me and I am buying one. 

https://www.amazon.com/MedCline-Reflux-Relief-Medical-Clinically/dp/B01N4TQOVJ/ref=sr_1_8?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.7SXPUwcOCvV-BxBahxQKH-lerEmreGEHYdjkIj29L1XwbG8aeV58MUfIg4eRwV3HWN803MupbwQM1VMsNiKQMf7jsImPRGIgodu4MdgRg6jFBXsz5HWajlOguYcQ2KRV8DP8WMeIbb2KJ9nBz-8Y2RUBmFhNnmAMXFRiZl9UgL245ZEfhXOa_3QHYSld9ruWY5M6L0jqaZm7ek7ixvreNzxNNz2MjvPElTtHECtizA_AbgC_EhVSRNXNzTfJd-Ifns3ZTxjZ7MNoZqGj5qWFXkKR5IBAYA2CL5qZXMFRum4.sPWKiVdcgKV5gTpsTOcZKnUF236RLRJZ83JNd-hC4Ag&dib_tag=se&keywords=side%2Bsleeper%2Bpillow%2Bwith%2Barm%2Bhole&qid=1712931669&sr=8-8&th=1

Hmm, interesting.  But even if I go a whole night without numbness, I still need to switch sides a few times a night, and it seems like it would be a hassle to get in and out of that.

It’s just as easy as getting in and out of your mother.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Do you happen to have a 7 year loan on a 1998 Corvette?
[mention=767]Rocko20[/mention] Edited by luke duke

On 4/11/2024 at 3:00 PM, UTGrad98 said:

Our fantasy football draft order this year is determined by how many times we can rep 135, our vertical, and our 40 time. Basically a combine for slow white old dudes.

Half your buddies are going to pull a hammy in the 40.  I’d give up on the bench and maximize your efforts into the other two.  A long term stretching routine is key here.  You should also be laying the groundwork on some sort of sabotage plan.  If your friends are like mine, cheating is not only encouraged but expected.   Laxatives in their food would be a good start. Nobody’s gonna put forth a full effort on the bench when they’re on the verge of shitting their pants.   

47 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Half your buddies are going to pull a hammy in the 40.  I’d give up on the bench and maximize your efforts into the other two.  A long term stretching routine is key here.  You should also be laying the groundwork on some sort of sabotage plan.  If your friends are like mine, cheating is not only encouraged but expected.   Laxatives in their food would be a good start. Nobody’s gonna put forth a full effort on the bench when they’re on the verge of shitting their pants.   

3 of us now have multi week shoulder injuries. The hamstring will get those remaining and this will be a spectacular fail. I don't even need to cheat with how our bodies are giving out 1 by 1.  I just need to be the last one standing the day we do this it seems. We are all in the 43-51 age range.

Update today is its not as bad as I was fearing. I'm gonna take the next 2 weeks off lifting but I can drive/turn the wheel, shower, carry milk, brush my teeth, and wipe my ass without pain although i have to be deliberate in my movements. It's my dominant arm that was fucked but I didn't think I'd be able to do any of those things today. Range of motion also improved in the past 24 hours, markedly. Not gonna try much weight bearing activities though for at least a week. 

18 hours ago, UTGrad98 said:

3 of us now have multi week shoulder injuries. The hamstring will get those remaining and this will be a spectacular fail. I don't even need to cheat with how our bodies are giving out 1 by 1.  I just need to be the last one standing the day we do this it seems. We are all in the 43-51 age range.

Update today is its not as bad as I was fearing. I'm gonna take the next 2 weeks off lifting but I can drive/turn the wheel, shower, carry milk, brush my teeth, and wipe my ass without pain although i have to be deliberate in my movements. It's my dominant arm that was fucked but I didn't think I'd be able to do any of those things today. Range of motion also improved in the past 24 hours, markedly. Not gonna try much weight bearing activities though for at least a week. 

The last time I hurt myself (shoulder sprain) at the gym, I took a few days off and scheduled an intro session at a Stretch/Flexology type of place. I was surprised how much it helped me. Now I go once a week for a good stretching session and haven’t had a single gym injury since that one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Why are any of you stupid motherfuckers lifting anything you don’t have to, at your age?   Make someone else do it, or pay someone else to do it.  I mean, I have to lift stuff like rearranging furniture, or other cuck things a husband has to do, but at 60 my whole MO is avoiding hard work and unnecessary injury.  I must just be lazy.

On 4/12/2024 at 4:27 PM, UTGrad98 said:

I can drive/turn the wheel, shower, carry milk, brush my teeth, and wipe my ass without pain although i have to be deliberate in my movements.

So what's the problem then?

Y'all need to stop stretching BEFORE you work out. Stretch at the end of the day before bed. 

Warm up before lifting, but don't stretch. 

16 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Why are any of you stupid motherfuckers lifting anything you don’t have to, at your age?   Make someone else do it, or pay someone else to do it.  I mean, I have to lift stuff like rearranging furniture, or other cuck things a husband has to do, but at 60 my whole MO is avoiding hard work and unnecessary injury.  I must just be lazy.

Muscle mass is incredibly important as we age.

Thanks for influencing my algorithm
8978c2f9e96161108a55b92e3fc46da7.jpg