UTRGV @ Texas - 6:30 on LHN

Horny Bull

So Pierce’s plan is to blow the arm out of the best batter Texas has (as well as a good defensive player).

I get he had good HS pitching stats but that was two years ago

Just seems like a lot more downside than upside to this move  

Thomas has apparently thrown several bullpens the last few weeks as they tossed this idea around. Upper 80s with the fastball. Coming off 5 games in 6 days with our pitching injuries/depth, I guess now is as good a time as ever to give it a try.

Injury risk is obviously the biggest concern, but he could also get injured playing first base or taking a ball off the wrist in the batter's box or running the bases. Can't play sports with the mindset of trying to avoid injuries.

I guess we'll see what happens. The kid loves Texas and has more heart than maybe anyone on the team. Wouldn't surprise me if he was the one who brought this idea to the table. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Witt loves Texas too. We see how that went. 

A guy trying to fight through an injury and surgery he isn't 100% from is a tad different from a normal healthy guy getting on the mound, but your point is understood. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

Sad that we can't trust the dregs of the bullpen to eat up enough innings against UTRGV to avoid throwing Thomas out there.  Chances are we'll be cheering on Boehm to get the final 5 outs of a 7-5 game.

6 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Sad that we can't trust the dregs of the bullpen to eat up enough innings against UTRGV to avoid throwing Thomas out there.  Chances are we'll be cheering on Boehm to get the final 5 outs of a 7-5 game.

Bold, you think we are scoring 7 against midweek arms.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

I don't think it's about eating up innings.  I think Pierce seriously wants to find out if Thomas can pitch at this level.  This is step 1.  If this goes reasonable well, then  you might see an inning of weekend mop-up or another weekday start.  It could also end forever after one inning.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Didn't have "Jared Thomas starts a game at pitcher" on my 2024 baseball bingo card. But I also didn't have "lose a home series to BYU" and "LBJ relegated to Sunday starter" on it either. Weird fucking year. 

How about .193 hitter at DH?

• Haha 1

He let Hamilton play every position in a 7 inning game...  Seriously what is the worst thing that could happen outside of him breaking his arm on the mound and being lost for the season...

I don’t really get the injury concern. He would be in the lineup somewhere regardless.

My concern is more about what this potentially does to his bat. This seems incredibly desperate but we are in desperate times.

1 hour ago, petscii said:

He let Hamilton play every position in a 7 inning game...  Seriously what is the worst thing that could happen outside of him breaking his arm on the mound and being lost for the season...

I don’t think a season ever hinges on Jake McKenzie’s health and he had no future in pro ball. But agreed, there’s little to no risk and maybe some upside to find somebody will will compete on the mound 

1 hour ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Really don’t hate it if JT is willing. We obviously don’t have the starting pitching to make it more than 3 games in a regional at this point. 

Whats the worst that happens? We lose another Q4 game, who cares at this point 

FIFY

5 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Only game I root against the Horns. 

Viva Vaqueros!!! ✌🏽

(God that sounds stupid, I miss when we were the Broncs)

Football team is going to make noise at the FCS level I can already tell. I drove by the baseball stadium a couple weeks ago and they’re making some progress on the football practice facility next to it.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

I don’t think a season ever hinges on Jake McKenzie’s health and he had no future in pro ball. But agreed, there’s little to no risk and maybe some upside to find somebody will will compete on the mound 

oops, I remembered that wrong....

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Boogey used to PH when he first started at Texas. 

If it's that bad, why not let Boogey DH? He can hit.

He's already pitching through a hurt hand. The main reason his velo is down from last year. Needs all the rest he can get between starts.

Edited by Hookem2147

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He's already pitching through a hurt hand. The main reason his velo is down from last year.

First I'd heard of that. Where'd you hear that?

All I've heard that his velocity was down and his control was up, with no explanation given.

Just now, BachelorTrek said:

First I'd heard of that. Where'd you hear that?

All I've heard that his velocity was down and his control was up, with no explanation given.

Been a thing all year. Remember his first outing in the second game of the year when the trainer came to the mound and we were all wondering why he was throwing 84? 

They weren't even sure how much they would get out of him this year after that point. It's why his appearances were so spaced out to start the season. 

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Football team is going to make noise at the FCS level I can already tell. I drove by the baseball stadium a couple weeks ago and they’re making some progress on the football practice facility next to it.

I'm really excited for football season. Coach Bush obviously has ties in the valley and has FCS coordinator success. He's all in trying to get the community on board and I think he's definitely going to have the support

15 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

Don't get me wrong, the lineup makes sense based on our guy's skillsets.  But if you were to just show that to the average baseball fan with no knowledge of our current roster:

'Who is your leadoff guy?' 

-Our Pitcher 

"Uh.  Okay, where are your big bat positions like 1b & Lf?"

-8th & 9th

"WTF?  Okay, which position hits cleanup, Rf, 3b, C---big guys?"

-The Shortstop

"Okay, well your speed guys like Cf, where's he hitting up top?"

-7th

Just looks funny on paper is all.  I think they'll be just fine tonight.   CSB/ My uncle played 2b for UT-Pan Am for a couple year in the mid-60's.  And my cousin is still the team Optometrist on the side (for UT-RGV that is).  

Was about to jump in the car and head over to the Disch but was informed I am not done choring outside for my daughter's birthday sleepover this weekend.  Ah well, I'd rather book the goodwill so i can head out there for TCU for two games this weekend while Taylor Swift is blaring through my house and their bedazzled pencil case contest takes place.  

• Haha 1

Yes, they are using a riveter to apply the pieces.  

Js1 only came here to do things.  Watch some baseball and decorate some bags.  And we're all outta bags.  ;)  

Shit, I didn't think about that we may not be able to play on Saturday with 80% chance of thunderstorms the whole day.  I need to make a backup plan for a possible DH on Friday or Sunday.  That could be fun.