Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread

bolverk

24 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

LSU.  The university that has a campus full of lakes....the location of which was selected by Huey Long to keep Southern (OMG BLACK PEOPLE!) from being built adjacent to it.  Yes.  I'll be taking my cues on justice and the treatment of people from....LSU.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

LSU.  The university that has a campus full of lakes....the location of which was selected by Huey Long to keep Southern (OMG BLACK PEOPLE!) from being built adjacent to it.  Yes.  I'll be taking my cues on justice and the treatment of people from....LSU.

What relevance does that have today?  You telling me a Democrat governor in the South 100 years ago was racist?  No shit.

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I don't get how that's "patriotic." I understand flying the Israeli flag as part of a counterprotest, but what's with waving the American flag and singing the National Anthem in response? I mean, polls show that more Americans support an independent Palestinian state than don't, and official US policy has long worked toward a two-state solution.

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Lib Arts is what runs nations and makes sure dickhead engineers have jobs.

You can’t be serious. Other than liberal arts majors that go to law school, they have hard time finding work straight out of school.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I don't get how that's "patriotic." I understand flying the Israeli flag as part of a counterprotest, but what's with waving the American flag and singing the National Anthem in response? I mean, polls show that more Americans support an independent Palestinian state than don't, and official US policy has long worked toward a two-state solution.

A lot of protestors are shouting anti-american chants and are taking over colleges. Most Americans are against hipsters and MEs taking over colleges.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Probably something to do with the idiots that tried to take down the American flag at UNC, resulting in viral videos of frat bros protecting the U.S. flag and getting like $500K in go fund me towards a rager, resulting in other frat bros across the country seeing it go viral and joining in on the action.   It was just as predictable as the idiotic protest spreading across the country in the first place.  Tik Tok generation gonna Tik Tok generation.

And I would love to see polls showing any kind of majority support for anything regarding Palestine after the last 2 weeks.  I would be willing to bet a large sum that the idiot protestors have absolutely destroyed public support for their cause.  

• Hook 'Em 7

49 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

"Patriots" lol.  Go join the military if you're such a patriot, otherwise shut the fuck up.

56 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Oh God, I hate that we are joining the SEC...

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

A lot of protestors are shouting anti-american chants

Like what?

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, DixonHur said:

"Patriots" lol.  Go join the military if you're such a patriot, otherwise shut the fuck up.

I always wanted us to go PAC whatever.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DixonHur said:

Like what?

Like the chants that are anti-American 

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

How many National or SEC championships does Israel have? The youth really suck at insults. And that goes for the pro-Palestine protestors that couldn’t think of an easy clapback to that too. 

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

How many National or SEC championships does Israel have? The youth really suck at insults. And that goes for the pro-Palestine protestors that couldn’t think of an easy clapback to that too. 

To be honest, I would have to give them 1967.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)

@Skipper

Probably something to do with the idiots that tried to take down the American flag at UNC, resulting in viral videos of frat bros protecting the U.S. flag and getting like $500K in go fund me towards a rager, resulting in other frat bros across the country seeing it go viral and joining in on the action.   It was just as predictable as the idiotic protest spreading across the country in the first place.  Tik Tok generation gonna Tik Tok generation.

And I would love to see polls showing any kind of majority support for anything regarding Palestine after the last 2 weeks.  I would be willing to bet a large sum that the idiot protestors have absolutely destroyed public support for their cause.  

Okay, that makes some sense. It just seems stupid for Ole Miss and LSU students to conflate their fellow students' support for Palestine with one idiotic action at UNC. I'll grant you that those two schools are known for their high academic standards, though.

The best I can do poll-wise for you is Gallup from early March. Has your view on Palestinian independence changed at all because of protests on American college campuses? Mine hasn't in the slightest, but I do think a lot of the protesters' antics are stupid as hell.

image.thumb.png.732d123021c59d740bd439965a5ba378.png

Edited by bolverk
quote got messed up
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Like what?

Death to America.

This one looks like fun but you can google ones on campus.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Regional conflict.. but yeah I could give them a conference title for that one. 

To be fair, no one has won a world title.

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Death to America.

But isn't this just exercise of free speech?  

I don't like it, but I don't think shouting them down makes someone more of a patriot...in fact it might make you less of one TBH

Just now, DixonHur said:

I don't like it, but I don't think shouting them down makes someone more of a patriot...in fact it might make you less of one TBH

I don't get your logic but to be fair I don't really care either.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Like what?

I sure as hell don’t. Most UT fans are happy that we’re joining the best football conference in the land. We have a lot more in common with the SEC schools than any other conference. I absolutely hated the talk of us joining the PAC 12. Football season is going to be a hell of a lot more fun.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Bevo said:

I don't get your logic but to be fair I don't really care either.

Is logic not your strong suit?

Pretty easy to follow...free speech is an American (IE Patriotic) ideal...so let them say whatever they want.  You don't need to like what they say...in fact, that's the point.

Black cops work KKK rallies all the time without reacting.  That's being a patriot...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Macklemore said:

I sure as hell don’t. Most UT fans are happy that we’re joining the best football conference in the land. We have a lot more in common with the SEC schools than any other conference. I absolutely hated the thought of us joining the PAC 12. Football season is going to be a hell of a lot more fun.

We've proven we can win the NC in any conference; we don't need the SEC to play good football.  

On the flip side, name a good academic institution in the SEC aside from Vandy?  Maybe Florida?

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

That’s more un-American than anything that’s been said at these protests. Did WW1 & WW2 not happen?

Two points

- It doesn't really count if you received help from the Dutch

- Mexico wasn't fighting in WW1

20 minutes ago, bolverk said:

@Skipper

Okay, that makes some sense. It just seems stupid for Ole Miss and LSU students to conflate their fellow students' support for Palestine with one idiotic action at UNC. I'll grant you that those two schools are known for their high academic standards, though.

The best I can do poll-wise for you is Gallup from early March. Has your view on Palestinian independence changed at all because of protests on American college campuses? Mine hasn't in the slightest, but I do think a lot of the protesters' antics are stupid as hell.

image.thumb.png.732d123021c59d740bd439965a5ba378.png

Note it says percentages for those that do not have an opinion are not shown.  I'm betting that was a material percentage. I'm also betting that percentage is materially lower now and it skews heavily in favor of "Oppose". I think the protests have been an absolute PR disaster for anyone supporting a free Palestine.  The reality is the vast majority of Americans don't take the time to critically analyze any domestic issue much less foreign issues as complicated as Israel/Palestine.   But a bunch of radicals effectively taking over college campuses is going to make a lot of people automatically oppose whatever it is they stand for.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

We've proven we can win the NC in any conference; we don't need the SEC to play good football.  

On the flip side, name a good academic institution in the SEC aside from Vandy?  Maybe Florida?

Florida is ranked higher than us for undergrad. We’re a better school overall when factoring in the Law School, McCombs and our other grad programs. UGA is very solid. Lots of Texas kids from the suburbs are at schools like Arkansas, Ole Miss and Alabama because of how hard it has gotten to get in to UT.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

When I accepted my ROTC letter, I asked my dad, still active SF Colonel, what being an officer meant to him. He is more to the right than I am. He said, well I might hate what you are saying, but I will die for your right to say it.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Note it says percentages for those that do not have an opinion are not shown.  I'm betting that was a material percentage. I'm also betting that percentage is materially lower now and it skews heavily in favor of "Oppose". I think the protests have been an absolute PR disaster for anyone supporting a free Palestine.  The reality is the vast majority of Americans don't take the time to critically analyze any domestic issue much less foreign issues as complicated as Israel/Palestine.   But a bunch of radicals effectively taking over college campuses is going to make a lot of people automatically oppose whatever it is they stand for.  

You'll get no argument from me that there are a lot of easily impressionable and reactionary dupes in this country from all ideological corners. And yet still, if Hamas's invasion of Israel, murdering, raping, and taking hostage innocent civilians along the way, only caused a one-percentage-point drop in support for an independent Palestinian state by Americans, then I doubt that these campus protests will cause a 17-point swing.

17 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Is logic not your strong suit?

Pretty easy to follow...free speech is an American (IE Patriotic) ideal...so let them say whatever they want.  You don't need to like what they say...in fact, that's the point.

Black cops work KKK rallies all the time without reacting.  That's being a patriot...

Cops working are the state.  They should not react to peaceful and lawful speech even if they detest the content.

But private actors counter-protesting with their own lawful speech is very American and also indicia of free speech.  Don't get violent.  Don't stop them from speaking.  Don't block their access. But if you want to out yell them, knock yourself out.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bolverk said:

You'll get no argument from me that there are a lot of easily impressionable and reactionary dupes in this country from all ideological corners. And yet still, if Hamas's invasion of Israel, murdering, raping, and taking hostage innocent civilians along the way, only caused a one-percentage-point drop in support for an independent Palestinian state by Americans, then I doubt that these campus protests will cause a 17-point swing.

That poll question was a bit more specific that almost requires some semi-informed opinion to answer.   Based on a super quick google search, I would be more curious to see if this poll changes at all.

Majority in U.S. Now Disapprove of Israeli Action in Gaza (gallup.com)

10 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Cops working are the state.  They should not react to peaceful and lawful speech even if they detest the content.

But private actors counter-protesting with their own lawful speech is very American and also indicia of free speech.  Don't get violent.  Don't stop them from speaking.  Don't block their access. But if you want to out yell them, knock yourself out.  

Yes, and no.  Counter protesting is fine (again I think protests are generally a waste of time), as long as you're not just yelling to drown out the protestors' message.  That's anti-speech in my opinion.

Counter protests should be held at a seperate location.

Ideas are not necessarily bad...even hateful ones...acting on bad ideas is the problem.  I've read Mein Kampf and Das Kaptial, yet I am neither a Nazi nor a Marxist.  Just as drag shows don't turn kids gay, screaming "death to America" isn't going to turn someone into an Islamist unless they already have those inclinations.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

That poll question was a bit more specific that almost requires some semi-informed opinion to answer.   Based on a super quick google search, I would be more curious to see if this poll changes at all.

Majority in U.S. Now Disapprove of Israeli Action in Gaza (gallup.com)

We'll see, I guess, but I doubt these protests will cause a significant and/or permanent change in Americans' views. Anything either of us can say at this point is pure conjecture at this point, but I'm sure polls will come out soon. For a quicker response, I suppose you could set up a poll to ask Surlyites if their views on Palestinian independence or Israeli actions have been altered by the protests.

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

I would be willing to bet a large sum that the idiot protestors have absolutely destroyed public support for their cause.  

Is there any doubt that this isn't true?

In the vacuum of ideas, I'm sure most Americans are sympathetic. In the practical reality of it, I think a lot of folks find it distasteful.

• Hook 'Em 1

• bolverk changed the title to Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread