CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

2 hours ago, kopp0e said:

The moment Kansas State grabbed for the Nebraska game plan: (of gaining a coach who has won a non-CFP national title at previous school)

right, except the coach was a former player from that state who had played and won a full sized national championship.....other than that exactly the same.

and @ztejas , you better stop using logic around here or you're gonna really fuck shit up.

Edited by mulletpelini
  • Like 1

Yeah, I guess you're right, you do have a point.  I mean look at the growth of some of our receivers this year under Mehringer's tutelage.....hell LJH has blossomed into one of the best receivers in the country, you can't tell me a large part of that wasn't the expertise that Mehringer brought to the WR room.  I think he could be a great young leader as the head coach for an up and coming team, would be tough to see him go. 

IRC Merringer is the outside receivers coach. Is Merringer coaching slot? Either way Collin and Duv have both developed well this year.

Just Curious..... Both Seth Littrell and Neal Brown got passed over for P5 Jobs.  Are they overrated, or did the right job not open for these guys??

Read several places that Neal Brown was thought to be a great fit at Louisville??
Personally, I'm still not sold on Littrell as a P5 Head Coach.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KState Folks Reportedly Not Happy & Fighting on Twitter:

This bears repeating. The Valley is *better* than C-USA West. Seth Littrell's won one division title, and UNT crapped it away this year. Klieman's won or shared the Valley title five straight years. Who's the "unqualified loser" here, again? Seriously, I'm confused.
Quote Tweet
ʝօռ ʍօʀֆɛ

@jonfmorse
The answer to your question is "none". Per Sagarin, the overall conference ranking of the Valley is right between the two C-USA divisions and ahead of the Sun Belt West. (link: https://twitter.com/ChuckJames919/status/1072322507590565888) twitter.com/ChuckJames919/…
Edited by LTtxfan

Down to four openings.  The carousel is slowing.

School Out Why? In
Akron Terry Bowden Fired  
Appalachian State Scott Satterfield Move to Louisville  
Bowling Green Mike Jinks Fired Scot Loeffler
Central Michigan John Bonamego Fired Jim McElwain
Charlotte Brad Lambert Fired Will Healy
Colorado Mike MacIntyre Fired Mel Tucker
East Carolina Scottie Montgomery Fired Mike Houston
Georgia Tech Paul Johnson Retired Geoff Collins
Kansas David Beaty Fired Les Miles
Kansas State Bill Snyder "Retired" Chris Klieman
Liberty Turner Gill Retired Hugh Freeze
Louisville Bobby Petrino Fired Scott Satterfield
Maryland DJ Durkin Fired Mike Locksley
Massachusetts Mark Whipple Fired Walt Bell
North Carolina Larry Fedora Fired Mack Brown
Ohio State Urban Meyer Retired (for now) Ryan Day
Temple Geoff Collins Move to Atlanta  
Texas State Everett Withers Fired Jake Spavital
Texas Tech Kliff Kingsbury Fired Matt Wells
Utah State Matt Wells Move to Lubbock  
Western Kentucky Mike Sanford Fired Tyson Helton

12 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

With Mehringer possibly leaving to JMU, gonna have to snatch Beatty up quick

also, i think we should make a run at Harrell (yeah yeah, i know he doesnt run hermans “offense”)

I suspect a gentle push out the door was involved with Mehringer as soon as it was clear Beaty was coming available. 

35 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Not official yet.

Gary Andersen to return to USU as head football coach

POSTED 3:11 PM, DECEMBER 9, 2018, BY TAYLOR HARTMAN, UPDATED AT 08:25PM, DECEMBER 9, 2018
  •  
gary-anderson-usu.jpg?quality=85&strip=a

LOGAN, Utah — Utah State University announced Sunday that former football coach Gary Andersen will be returning to the school as the head football coach.

USU’s Vice President and Director of Athletics John Hartwell said that Andersen, who was the football team’s head coach from 2009-12 will be the first of the 27 coaches in the school’s history to be head coach multiple times.

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Who do you think was the brains behind the offense last season. Locksley?

I've assumed it was some combo of Locksley (based on what he learned under Kiffin/Sark) and Gattis (based on what he brought from Franklin).  That's what the offense looks like to me.

It looks nothing like a Dan Enos offense.

3 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I've assumed it was some combo of Locksley (based on what he learned under Kiffin/Sark) and Gattis (based on what he brought from Franklin).  That's what the offense looks like to me.

It looks nothing like a Dan Enos offense.

Could be. I know that Enos is considered to be an excellent QB coach, so I assumed he was the playcaller too.

For what it's worth, Gattis is getting HC consideration at App State.

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Some people are really overrating Nebraska's future potential.

Like how? I don't see anyone in here claiming they are about to be a dynasty. 

Really not trying to have this discussion again, but I think 10 wins and division titles is completely reasonable for corn. The B10West isn't any better than the B12North was.

If you don't agree I assume you live under a large rock.

• Fuck You 1

57 minutes ago, ztejas said:

If you don't agree I assume you live under a large rock.

Um, cool I guess.

I don't think that any meaningful winning is in their future. There's just too many structural issues from geography to resources. If you think they might reach Iowa's level, then sure, but that's a pretty low level of success.

9 minutes ago, G650 said:

Um, cool I guess.

I don't think that any meaningful winning is in their future. There's just too many structural issues from geography to resources. If you think they might reach Iowa's level, then sure, but that's a pretty low level of success.

This is just getting pedantic at this point. I'm half a step from putting money on it and I'm not particularly high on their potential to reach actual contender status anytime soon.

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This is just getting pedantic at this point. I'm half a step from putting money on it and I'm not particularly high on their potential to reach actual contender status anytime soon.

Pedantic? I've made one comment on it. Given their challenges, I don't foresee Nebraska being more than mediocre from here on out. It's a completely reasonable opinion backed by the evidence. They barely crack the top 20 in revenue, even so-so teams like Oregon are way in front of them, and are crazy isolated from talent. The talent alone is a big issue, Michigan is a top three revenue team, and still can barely hang on to the top teams because of recruiting challenges.

This isn't some off the wall stuff man. And I'm not wading into any KSU debate.

• Like 1

Just now, G650 said:

Pedantic? I've made one comment on it. Given their challenges, I don't foresee Nebraska being more than mediocre from here on out. It's a completely reasonable opinion backed by the evidence. They barely crack the top 20 in revenue, even so-so teams like Oregon are way in front of them, and are crazy isolated from talent. The talent alone is a big issue, Michigan is a top three revenue team, and still can barely hang on to the top teams because of recruiting challenges.

You are attempting reasoned dialogue with a mouthbreathing rube. Just throw the guy on ignore and you'll improve both your own experiences on this board and the rest of our experiences on this thread. 

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, G650 said:

No shit - I just told you I'm not high on their potential to reach contender status anytime soon.

You come here, claim "people are overrating Nebraska's future potential", and I ask who is doing that, and you shift the discussion to some analogy about Iowa.

I have maintained the same stance in this entire thread. You can go back and read the comments. Nebraska isn't hanging 3 nattys up in a decade again. If top 20 in revenue, attendance and recruiting is "mediocre" to you then we agree and that ends the discussion.

• Fuck You 2

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:48 PM, RiceOwl said:

Uhhh... Couple things wrong with this statement:

-There are lots of other “southern programs” that have declined... Tennessee anyone?

-The 1990 GT Natty was kind of a perfect storm. They were HORRIBLE in the late 70’s and mid 80’s.

-Paul Johnson is the winningest (and longest tenured coach) at GT since Bobby Dodd. He won an ACC championship, made two orange bowls, and had lots of other big, top 10 wins. Things slowed a little bit the last few years but he still went 9-4 in 2016 and will likely go 8-5 this year. Definitely a future CFB HOFer.

I was careful to say 30 years, not 20.  UTe was just fine 20 years ago.  

PJ's marriage to the triple option ensured GTECH would be the KSU of the South, defining success as an occasional NY6 berth.