CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I feel like a computer program could coach better than some of these yahoos.  Just hire Initech to outsource the code and a dozen GA;s to do continuous data entry.  If you make the monitor big enough you don't even need guys in colored shirts on the sideline doing hand signals.

Madden champ?

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 5:38 PM, Sbbruin said:

There is speculation that SC's hands were tied on Helton.  If they threw around a hefty buyout and big money at a new coach,  it would have played very poorly optically as they negotiate what might be hundreds of millions in settlements over the sex abuse scandal.  They couldn't plead poverty in one case and throw money around like a drunken sailor in regards to football.  Either way,  I applaud them for keeping Helton.

You and every other program in the PAC12! Make no mistake, they are F-U-C-T as far as the settlements (thanks Max Nikias you asshole). We have plenty of cash for the abomination that is the Coliseum remodel (thanks Pat Haden you asshole), and other projects. What this really is about is a wholesale change in attitude towards athletics. The current administration is hell-bent on becoming an Ivy League type institution...football is for the ruffian unwashed masses. We should be concerned about rankings and endowments, the football games are for the wine & cheese crowd to gather to network.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

I feel like a computer program could coach better than some of these yahoos.  Just hire Initech to outsource the code and a dozen GA;s to do continuous data entry.  

Not right now, Lumbergh, I'm kinda busy. In fact, look, I'm gonna have to ask you to just go ahead and come back another time. I got a meeting with the Bobs in a couple of minutes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Goddammit, Ole Miss is retaining Matt Luke. Hooray for clueless mediocrity, the dude is a dumber, fatter Clay Helton.

He used the word maximize four times in that press release/letter. I don't know how much more you could maximize the use of the word maximize than that.

In fact, I feel so maximized that I'm reconsidering my career direction toward a field where it is appropriate to sign off on all of my correspondence with "Hotty Toddy."

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Dear Ole Miss family,

Greetings and Happy Holidays!  I want to express my appreciation for the passion and love you have for Ole Miss and our athletics program.  Over the past few weeks, I have heard from donors, fans and friends of Ole Miss and have had the chance to speak with many of you over the phone or in person. The viewpoints expressed are appreciated, and I take all input seriously. 

In the last several years, we have experienced some incredible highs around our program.  On the field, we played in back-to-back New Year's Six bowl games and brought the Sugar Bowl trophy to Oxford.  Off the field, The Grove hosted one of the most iconic airings of ESPN College Gameday in history.  In athletics, and thanks to your help, we built over $200 million in new or renovated facilities, and currently our student-athletes have the best academic profile in our history. The list of accomplishments goes on and on. 

In addition to the successes, we’ve endured some real challenges.  The unique complexity and length of the NCAA case created a cloud over our program for an unfair amount of time, and the sudden coaching change before the 2017 season infused more uncertainty.  

The peaks and valleys of the last several years combine to create high expectations for future success, and like you, we feel the angst and disappointment when we don’t meet them.  As Coach Luke stated on Tuesday, no one has higher expectations for this program than we do, and we must lock arms through the challenges to reach our potential.  In fact, one of the earliest themes I shared with you when I was hired was the grand potential of Ole Miss - if you recall, I said our ceiling is yet to be defined, and our attitude will be “why not Ole Miss?” 

Our 2018 football team has been through more adversity than most teams will experience in a decade, so our goal this year was to give them as much positivity and stability as possible.  And despite the challenges we have faced, these student-athletes banded together under Coach Luke’s leadership and gave us everything they had each and every week, even when others said they had nothing to play for.  They are to be commended for their perseverance, and we will always remember their commitment, especially the 2018 senior class.

Coach Luke is built to get our program back to where it should be and break through the next ceiling.  He went through a rebuild as a Rebel during his playing days, he has been involved in turning around an historically unsuccessful program as an assistant coach, and he has been here when Ole Miss has successfully competed on the biggest stages in college football. Coach Luke is a great coach and knows what disciplined, blue collar and hard-nosed football looks like, and he knows how to get through challenges.  Now that NCAA case is behind us, Coach Luke and his staff will have all of the resources to sell this great University and maximize our potential.

As the Athletics Director, my responsibility is to cast the vision for Ole Miss Athletics and to support our student-athletes with the best leaders and resources.  Specifically for football, my plan is to do the following:

• Support Coach Luke in making any and all adjustments to fix deficiencies.
  • Maximize our full potential by constantly improving every aspect of the program: salary pool, Manning Center (locker room and training room), student-athlete experience, gameday experience, academic support, etc.
  • Continue to enhance the recruiting operations to ensure long term success.
  • Maximize the recently completed restructure of our NCAA compliance and athletics legal counsel operations to proactively ensure we never have a major NCAA issue.
  • Build more fan support, one person, one meeting, one event, and one interaction at a time through personal relationships and delivering results.

We have prided ourselves on being a department that is accessible to all fans - constantly looking for new ways to gather feedback and fan thoughts.  To that end, we will be announcing a series of “town hall” style meetings for early 2019. Look for more news in the coming weeks about specific times and locations. 

In closing, I made a request to the Ole Miss family when I arrived in 2012 - I asked everyone to pull the rope in the same direction because you love Ole Miss and our student-athletes.  Now is the time to get behind Coach Luke, our staff, our players and help showcase this great University so that we can attract the next wave of exceptional student-athletes like so many that have come before.  To fully maximize our potential, we must show up every day with an optimistic mindset and execute with an unbelievable work ethic.  We are Ole Miss.

Hotty Toddy and Go Rebels!

21 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

SC= Ivy League?

but I agree, there is a real push to focus on SC academics.  The new president will drive the future of SC athletics.

In and of itself, a focus on academics is the whole point of a university. There hasto be a balance. I have heard from others at UCLA that some on the academic side do not think athletics should be funded. The last president’s sole focus was on money and his legacy. With a $6 billion endowment, buying out a coach is a rounding error.

13 minutes ago, USC_TMB said:

In and of itself, a focus on academics is the whole point of a university. There hasto be a balance. I have heard from others at UCLA that some on the academic side do not think athletics should be funded. The last president’s sole focus was on money and his legacy. With a $6 billion endowment, buying out a coach is a rounding error.

There has been a strong backlash from academia at UCLA against the funding of athletics for years.  Too many eggheads in the faculty who couldn't make the jv badminton team.

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Since the news is out now, I'll go and add some color.

Brewster fucking hates Fisher. He didn't like him before College Station and he didn't want to go to College Station. He attempted to get on staff at UT twice and at OU with Riley. Neither happened, but there was legit interest. So he settled on the offer at ATM. This year has sucked for them internally and the staff isn't "aligned" across the program. Rampant cheating wasn't part of the pitch to everyone coming in, nor was getting browbeaten to work 20+ hour days in order to catch Saban. 

Brewster and Mack parted on bad terms, but Mack isn't some dumbass. He's going to let Brewster do his thing from the tidewaters of Virginia down through Florida, and he's going to pay him to do it. 

I doubt this is the only turnover from the ATM staff. Fisher burned through relationships with staff, admins, boosters, players, and the AD when at FSU. It tumbled quickly after the Winston era. Dude does not handle losing well, and he doesn't handle insolence on a level even close to the magnanimity of Dr. Evil or Urban Meyer. This could be both a meteoric rise and collapse at ATM, over the course of the next 5 years.

I'm just shooting for the collapse. 

Just now, longhornmatt said:

Leavitt would probably be a good hire.  I’d be more optimistic about him than Wells if I were a Tech fan.  

they can't take him

1. he has the "player abuse" thing hanging over him and a bunch of dumb fucks that watch Tech football (and cheer for it to lose until their cult leader comes back) still do not understand the reality of why mike was actually fired

2. Tech fans love to shit on Baylor (and TCU to a degree) and anyone else they can and talk about "having a clean program" and Leavitt does not exactly smell clean and really Tech fans are pretty much down to clinging to that at this point as their claim to fame

if they hire Leavitt they might as well bring in Baby Briles as OC and have Daddy Briles as an "analyst" they they can either settle for wins or burn it fully down

21 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Petrino must have done something that gets Louisville in trouble (again).

Louisville is a steaming pile of shit right now with massive issues going on that will be hard to work through

they pretty much had been farting in the general direction of the City of Louisville over the arena and telling them they will just leave and build their own.....and well of course their BB program lost their coach to massive cheating and other shit and their biggest financial supporter has been told to fuck off and their football is in the shitter as well and their "heavy hitter" (massive cheater) AD is gone and all that has added up to a a lot of cash.....they have now agreed to pay the city several million more a year in lease payments, but many on the BOR were not happy about it.....also the "YUM" naming rights are coming up for bid again...that does not hit UL, but it would hit the arena authority which will pinch them for more cash which might make them look to UL for more in the future

also Brohm won 6 games so far this year and 7 last year and he is "shit hot" and he did have some good wins this year......this year has also seen a lot of retreads get back into coaching really quickly and fill some of those slots and next year looks to have many major openings (like last year) and Brohm looks like he could win 8 or more games with the Purdue schedule next year and be in line for a much better job than a burning shitter like Louisville