Urban Meyer suspended first 3 games

Machinator

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

We're about to get Zach Smith and McMurphy teaming up in one of those bizarre two enemies team up to fight a common enemy movie twists, aren't we. 

I think it's more likely that ZS is upset they were investigating UM and GS rather than investigating his Ex and how crazy she is. That's how I read it anyway.

3 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Pedo State cleaned house, tOSU said we are good with how we operate..... apples to oranges

To be completely honest JayPa ran for the State Pen BoT strictly on the platform of how his family was ill-treated. And he now sits on the BoT. The GodPaCult is alive and well.

They may have taken out the Three Stooges, and GodPa up and died, but they are the same insufferable Jagoffs they have always been. I still see Forever 409 car magnets and even one as bad as this: We Are!, Because He Was!

5 minutes ago, ioueleventybilliondollars said:

I think it's more likely that ZS is upset they were investigating UM and GS rather than investigating his Ex and how crazy she is. That's how I read it anyway.

Kind of.  I read it as they were only interested in finding out what other shit could come out and didn't care about whether or not there was abuse.

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Kind of.  I read it as they were only interested in finding out what other shit could come out and didn't care about whether or not there was abuse.

Essentially the same thing. But he's not turning on UM. Just more of ZM's defiance of reality and self righteous indignation.

15 minutes ago, ioueleventybilliondollars said:

It's an interesting take, and you could be right, but reading his tweet again it doesn't read that way to me.

He says the people hired to investigate whether Meyer and Gene Smith did anything wrong weren't investigating what they were supposed to be investigating.  To me, that reads like they weren't really investigating Meyer and Smith at all.

But I don't trust that ZS is particularly bright or good with words, so it may just have been poorly phrased.  Either way, based on the replies from the OSU faithful to his tweet, they want no part of this story. 

2 hours ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

I'd love to see Zach flip out and start exposing all the crap he's seen and done under Urban.

You don't think he may have been fired and had to sign something like a non disclosure agreement..? Maybe that way he still get's the bulk of his pay..? I dunno...

39 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

To be completely honest JayPa ran for the State Pen BoT strictly on the platform of how his family was ill-treated. And he now sits on the BoT. The GodPaCult is alive and well.

They may have taken out the Three Stooges, and GodPa up and died, but they are the same insufferable Jagoffs they have always been. I still see Forever 409 car magnets and even one as bad as this: We Are!, Because He Was!

Yeah, this is a good example of why important positions like Public University BOT positions should not be elected by the general public. The public will vote based on a recognizable name.

Another example is the MSU BOT, which has a former football coach and at least 2 former players; and the coach was fired and filed suit against the school for wrongful termination.
(full honest disclosure - when these positions are on the ballot here I will vote for the green party or libertarian party candidates for the UM board)

15 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Yeah, this is a good example of why important positions like Public University BOT positions should not be elected by the general public. The public will vote based on a recognizable name.

Another example is the MSU BOT, which has a former football coach and at least 2 former players; and the coach was fired and filed suit against the school for wrongful termination.
(full honest disclosure - when these positions are on the ballot here I will vote for the green party or libertarian party candidates for the UM board)

It's not even voted on by the public at large. It's Nitter alums who vote.

57 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Pedo State cleaned house, tOSU said we are good with how we operate..... apples to oranges

The shit that was exposed that went on at Pedo State was waaaaaaaay worse than the shit that was just exposed at tOSU.  And it's not even close.  So...you're right, it is apples and oranges.  And if Pedo State's apples survived that in such short order, tOSU's oranges won't be a pimple on their ass.

• Like 3

This is Disgusting.... not concerned about a Victim at all.....

Ohio State wanted to find a way to keep it's successful Coach and Ohio State was also too scared to fire Urban for fear of what could possibly be uncovered if Urban were to legally fight his termination....

SI quote:

"A lawsuit would also expose Ohio State leadership and other employees to heightened public scrutiny. Meyer, perhaps more than any other public employee in the state of Ohio, has the financial wherewithal to expend considerable money litigating against a public employer. His legal team could have forced substantial pretrial discovery on Ohio State, including requiring that emails, texts and records be turned over and compelling Ohio State officials to testify. Given that Meyer has been employed in such a prominent position at Ohio State since 2011, he is likely aware of numerous pieces of information that might reflect negatively on various persons employed by the university. Meyer is, in short, a threatening figure and not someone the university would take lightly in litigation. A lawsuit by Meyer would most likely lead to a financial settlement with the university, thereby negating some of the cost advantages for the school in firing Meyer for cause."

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/08/23/ohio-state-urban-meyer-suspension-contract

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

They dragged their heels as long as they possibly could before their president, AD and another guy all got charged with serious crimes and two of them I believe got sent to jail. Even then as Tiger mentioned they still put Paterno's son on the BoT. Ohio St deserves some hate for all of this but even bringing psu into this or attempting to act like they in any way, shape or form did the right thing in how they handled it is like one of the craziest things I've ever seen stated on a football related message board.

Edited by Surlybastard
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Pedo's crimes and cover up were on an entirety different level.  Their response was more severe in an absolute sense, but relative to the severity of the crimes I'd argue their punishment was even less punitive than osu's of Meyer. 

I'm not sure anything less than a cleaning house of the entire football program with a few years self imposed death penalty to ensure the trash is out of the system would have felt appropriate for pedo st. 

psu didn't clear house so much as they were forced to build a new one because their previous house had completely burned down around them.

Edited by Surlybastard

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Pedo's crimes and cover up were on an entirety different level.  Their response was more severe in an absolute sense, but relative to the severity of the crimes I'd argue their punishment was even less punitive than osu's of Meyer. 

I'm not sure anything less than a cleaning house of the entire football program with a few years self imposed death penalty to ensure the trash is out of the system would have felt appropriate for pedo st. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Pedo State played in the Rose Bowl just a few short years after that much bigger scandal...this won't do shit to osu.

On the field, you are probably right. Ohio State will be the same as they have been under Meyer, unless we get lucky and this is enough of a distraction to knock them down slightly. They will likely make the playoffs again soon, may even win another championship.

Off the field, the stench at OSU will last for a long time. People still refer to PSU as Pedo State, and my guess is that will persist for most of our lives. People will now think of OSU as the wife beater school, and Urban Meyer as the guy who allowed it to happen. The only thing that puts him above JoePa is that a coach beating his wife is less appalling than a coach raping little boys.

Regardless of what the media says in 2-3 years, Urban's legacy is permanently tainted and the school's reputation took a major hit. College football fans don't quickly forget that.

32 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

This is Disgusting.... not concerned about a Victim at all.....

Ohio State wanted to find a way to keep it's successful Coach and Ohio State was also too scared to fire Urban for fear of what could possibly be uncovered if Urban were to legally fight his termination....

SI quote:

"A lawsuit would also expose Ohio State leadership and other employees to heightened public scrutiny. Meyer, perhaps more than any other public employee in the state of Ohio, has the financial wherewithal to expend considerable money litigating against a public employer. His legal team could have forced substantial pretrial discovery on Ohio State, including requiring that emails, texts and records be turned over and compelling Ohio State officials to testify. Given that Meyer has been employed in such a prominent position at Ohio State since 2011, he is likely aware of numerous pieces of information that might reflect negatively on various persons employed by the university. Meyer is, in short, a threatening figure and not someone the university would take lightly in litigation. A lawsuit by Meyer would most likely lead to a financial settlement with the university, thereby negating some of the cost advantages for the school in firing Meyer for cause."

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/08/23/ohio-state-urban-meyer-suspension-contract

You didn't even quote my favorite fucking part:

Had he been fired, Meyer could have sued the school for breach of contract, defamation and possibly also for violating the Americans with Disabilities Act. 

I'd have loved, loved, LOVED for that piece of shit to file suit under that umbrella because of his bogus fucking heart condition and his bogus fucking memory loss. Talk about guaranteeing him being reviled in the eyes of everyone outside of Ohio. And probably Florida. Two states full of the barely functioning. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

If ZS is going to start getting mouthy this is going to get uglier.  Dude will never coach again so he is looking for a payday to spill it all.  

Yep.  His coaching career is over either way, and his other job alternatives will be lacking at this point given the press.  Minus a giant payout from Meyer and/or OSU, his only option is to leverage this thing for all he can. 

On a related note, if half the stuff they've said about this guy is true, and he really does feel betrayed by Meyer, I'm curious if Urban is putting extra protection in place for his family in case this guy goes off the deep end.

Can't blame him, if so, but certainly would be a bad look for the refusal to acknowledge that Courtney was ever in real danger. 

Edited by Bill Lumbergh

5 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

If ZS is going to start getting mouthy this is going to get uglier.  Dude will never coach again so he is looking for a payday to spill it all.  

I'd say he should write a book but none of that fanbase reads so...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, markstanco said:

Speaking of exposing, I heard on the radio (likely mentioned here as well) that he whipped it out at the White House and took a selfie.

I saw this in one of the (many) articles to come out in the last couple of weeks.  What are the details on this debauchery?

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

The shit that was exposed that went on at Pedo State was waaaaaaaay worse than the shit that was just exposed at tOSU.  And it's not even close.  So...you're right, it is apples and oranges.  And if Pedo State's apples survived that in such short order, tOSU's oranges won't be a pimple on their ass.

When Franklin sits in a recruits kitchen he can look at the kids mom at agree what happened was awful and how he needs good kids like her's to join the new coaches in rebuilding the program.

When Urban sites in a recruits kitchen all he can do is look at the kids mom and say I don't really recall doing anything bad, we're still the same great group of guys we have always been, well except for that one guy... can't remember his name but he had a crazy ass wife.

5 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

This seems to be a bad analogy, as in the case of what the tweeter post, the person that would get fired id the president of Ohio State...

Horrible analogy. If the CEO of a company hired a friend who abused his wife, covered it up and promoted him...yeah. They'd fire the fuck out of him. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

When Franklin sits in a recruits kitchen he can look at the kids mom at agree what happened was awful and how he needs good kids like her's to join the new coaches in rebuilding the program.

When Urban sites in a recruits kitchen all he can do is look at the kids mom and say I don't really recall doing anything bad, we're still the same great group of guys we have always been, well except for that one guy... can't remember his name but he had a crazy ass wife.

In all honesty, I don't think it will even get brought up in these meetings between coaches and recruits and most of the time its the asst coaches sitting there anyhow. Its just silly that any lines are being drawn between the pedo scandal and this current one at tosu. Its like comparing Desert Storm to WW2. Its the difference between a coach continuing to be employed after accusations of dv were made and he was cleared of by police(if I have the story straight) and an entire university covering for and enabling a pedo for decades even to the degree that after they finally forced him to retire they were still allowing him to run a charity for kids where he'd show up at psu sponsored events with kids and also take them to road games where it was just the pedo and the kid sharing a hotel room at night. One is something to be thrown on the trash heap of offseason fb scandals while the other is to date the most despicable scandal in the history of college sports.

40 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You didn't even quote my favorite fucking part:

Had he been fired, Meyer could have sued the school for breach of contract, defamation and possibly also for violating the Americans with Disabilities Act. 

I'd have loved, loved, LOVED for that piece of shit to file suit under that umbrella because of his bogus fucking heart condition and his bogus fucking memory loss. Talk about guaranteeing him being reviled in the eyes of everyone outside of Ohio. And probably Florida. Two states full of the barely functioning. 

And to think these two states dictate who the next president is more often than not.  God help us all.

11 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

He really can't get his ego out of his own way, can he? 

Does he understand that this entire press cycle has revolved around his showing too little remorse and contrition for his role in this?  What does he think this statement is going to help?  If he would just shut up, this would mostly blow over in a few weeks because the general public has short attention spans and something else will emerge to distract from this

Don't get me wrong, he deserves everything and more that's coming his way, but this is one of the worst cases of image management I've ever seen from a public figure.  He clearly gives no fucks.

Edited by Bill Lumbergh
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

He really can't get his ego out of his own way, can he? 

Does he understand that this entire press cycle has revolved around his showing too little remorse and contrition for his role in this?  What does he think this statement is going to help?  If he would just shut up, this would mostly blow over in a few weeks because the general public has short attention spans and something else will emerge to distract from this

Don't get me wrong, he deserves everything and more that's coming his way, but this is one of the worst cases of image management I've ever seen from a public figure.  He clearly gives no fucks.

Which all that you point out is just more reason the Meyer will in fact, lead to his own demise at Ohio State, once he ticks off the wrong underling with vital info to expose...