New concessions pricing at DKR

Machinator

Awesome.  I bet it also generates more revenue.

I wonder about beer?  Morbid drunkenness is something you want to decently keep under control, but I also don't want to pay extra because a few Surly assholes lose control.

It's nice that prices are being lowered, but then you realize you're still paying $3 for 20 ounces of tap water in a plastic bottle. $4 for a drink that costs $1.89 at the convenience store.

Yeah, I suppose. But at least it’s an effort to bring prices down. Plus the new refill stations they put in last year help offset the price.

51 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Awesome.  I bet it also generates more revenue.

I wonder about beer?  Morbid drunkenness is something you want to decently keep under control, but I also don't want to pay extra because a few Surly assholes lose control.

Supposedly after opening the new Dome in ATL, with the family friendly pricing, they made a pretty decent increase in profits over the previous year. Now part of that may also be because of it being a new stadium, better layout or other factors.

I last worked the concessions stand during the ND game for the McCallum HS program.  Water bottles soak in iced water for hours before we sold them.  And our pretzels, hot and salty.

Pro Tip: If you need to sneak into any football stadium, you may do so with a dolly of ice bags, generic nametag, and matching hat/shirt.

15 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

I’m not sure why this is a good thing unless they are adding additional concession stands to accommodate the even longer lines that will form as a result. I’d rather pay $2 more to shave off 20 minutes of waiting while a game I paid $75 for against a shitty opponent was being played.

19 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

The key here is that they did away with the $ __.25, $__.50 prices. Makes every transaction smoother and faster.

I’ve advocated this for years...round up for all I care, just make it simple!

That always helps as well, having to keep my coin sock for going to Six Flags, or stadiums can be irritating when the coins are digging into your thigh..! 😤

• 6 months later...

I'll take any price decrease, but I've actually been okay with the prices the past couple years.  I understand that at any sports or entertainment venue we're a captured audience and the market allows higher charges.  But at least Texas has significantly increased the quality of food establishments at DKR, so I feel like I'm getting a little more of my money's worth. 

Atlanta Falcons went a different direction with their concessions, hoping they'd price people into buying more food. I love it.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/22/670313841/atlanta-falcons-cut-the-prices-for-their-stadium-food-but-is-it-working-out

FOUNTAIN: If you're like me, you probably thought the reason stadium food prices are so high is because the teams just want to wring every penny out of fans. But that's only half true. I head up to the front office to meet Rich McKay, the president of the Falcons. And he tells me the way stadium food usually works is teams hire a food company to do everything and then have almost no say after that.

Could you complain about - I don't know - warm beer?

RICH MCKAY: Yes, you can complain. That's all you do is complain. You don't - it's - nothing happens as a result of it.

SHAPIRO: The reason is big multinational companies compete for these contracts. And the bidding gets intense. The company that wins usually ponies up millions, sometimes tens of millions of dollars upfront and then splits the revenues from the sales with the team. And so, according to Greg Beadles, the COO of the Falcons, before a single Bud Light is even poured, those companies have dug themselves into a big hole.

GREG BEADLES: So for them to get their money back, there's only two sides of the balloon left to squeeze. And it's food quality; let's buy the cheapest food that we can. And let's charge as much as we can. And maybe, like, you know, a third is labor; let's have as few people as possible to make all of this happen.

FOUNTAIN: That's why it takes so long to get a hot dog. That's why the hot dog costs so much, and that's why it might be cold.

BEADLES: That's right, exactly right.

FOUNTAIN: Not too long ago, the Falcons were building a new stadium. And they were rethinking everything, including ticket prices, which they raised. And they thought, why don't we rethink food a little bit? And so they got rid of the whole revenue-share model. Now they get to control food and beverage - the quality, the number of cooks and the prices. And they've dropped prices a lot. Like, they sell $2 hotdogs, $5 beers and $2 sodas with unlimited free refills.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven’t missed a home game in 7-8 years and I haven’t bought a single food item at any of them. I understand people come with families, but my entire LHF group is all just classmates and mostly single. We do Mikes Crew tailgate that’s $20 all you can eat and drink and there’s not really a need to buy concession bs. 

8 hours ago, brojangles2 said:

I haven’t missed a home game in 7-8 years and I haven’t bought a single food item at any of them. I understand people come with families, but my entire LHF group is all just classmates and mostly single. We do Mikes Crew tailgate that’s $20 all you can eat and drink and there’s not really a need to buy concession bs. 

You and your friends sounds like some serious bad asses!!!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

I buy one big bottle as they won't let you take an empty in... Then real fill it so yeah, mostly. I can hang with one $5 water price gouge.

Nothing wrong with that. You know what you're getting into. I'm talking about the twitter guy whining to CDC about the price.

• 1 month later...