Cryptocurrencies (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, etc.)

surlybevo

There is no doubt that bitcoin and other proof of work coins use a lot of electricity to operate. Hence why many of the major mining ops are located near cheap renewal energy like geothermal or hydroelectric. There have been concerns that mining ops in some countries took advantage of subsidized electricity rates but that's the right of that govt to do so.

Electricity usage is also why many of the proof of work coins are looking to switch to proof of stake which will greatly reduce (99%) the power usage. Like Ethereum. 

I don't see bitcoin switching away from their model which isn't the best but bitcoin mining rewards will continue to drop which will reduce the need to mine. Still market forces will continue to move bitcoin mining to more renewables as renewable energy continues to drop in price.

So what's everybody's plan for their dependents? I mean, you're cruising along, then BAM your heart seizes up and you're stone cold mashed potato dead. Crypto, like Gold Bugging, seems to attract a bunch of asocial loners (unruffle-- I am barely into crypto, but I could out-asocial-loner well above my weight-class) and I predict that every day passwords to e-hoards as fading into the ether, with possible heirs never knowing they existed.

I mean, if you didn't know Crazy Uncle RD collected ammo cases full of gold Austrian Ducats, you at least stand a chance of finding them in some corner of his hoarder-home. If he also has a ton of Bitcoin that he bought a decade ago and never mentioned because he doesn't trust his relatives, what happens to it?

Yeah maybe Crazy Uncle RD left a scrap of paper somewhere (the house is probably full of scraps of paper), but the vital info is probably recorded into Base 9 written as German words using Greek characters.

Edited by RDCanecutter
hoard horde whored

I am trying to sign up on FTX as the trustee of a trust. I have an EIN and all that good stuff.  I am unable to do a bank transfer with the individual account I set up and the KYC entity account (which I have not tried yet) only looks to cover an entity like an LLC.  Any thoughts?  

7 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

So what's everybody's plan for their dependents? I mean, you're cruising along, then BAM your heart seizes up and you're stone cold mashed potato dead. Crypto, like Gold Bugging, seems to attract a bunch of asocial loners (unruffle-- I am barely into crypto, but I could out-asocial-loner well above my weight-class) and I predict that every day passwords to e-hoards as fading into the ether, with possible heirs never knowing they existed.

I mean, if you didn't know Crazy Uncle RD collected ammo cases full of gold Austrian Ducats, you at least stand a chance of finding them in some corner of his hoarder-home. If he also has a ton of Bitcoin that he bought a decade ago and never mentioned because he doesn't trust his relatives, what happens to it?

Yeah maybe Crazy Uncle RD left a scrap of paper somewhere (the house is probably full of scraps of paper), but the vital info is probably recorded into Base 9 written as German words using Greek characters.

You could be this guy...

Since the article was published he's now missing out on $500M.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/12/technology/bitcoin-passwords-wallets-fortunes.html

Stefan Thomas, a German-born programmer living in San Francisco, has two guesses left to figure out a password that is worth, as of this week, about $220 million.

The password will let him unlock a small hard drive, known as an IronKey, which contains the private keys to a digital wallet that holds 7,002 Bitcoin. While the price of Bitcoin dropped sharply on Monday, it is still up more than 50 percent from just a month ago, when it passed its previous all-time high of around $20,000.

The problem is that Mr. Thomas years ago lost the paper where he wrote down the password for his IronKey, which gives users 10 guesses before it seizes up and encrypts its contents forever. He has since tried eight of his most commonly used password formulations — to no avail.

• Drool 1

12 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I just had one of these delivered last week:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B091M8Y27Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I still need to make sure someone in my family knows what to actually do with it, but it's better than writing your seed phrased down on a piece of paper and just hoping it doesn't get wet/burned/smudged, etc.

• Drool 1

30 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

You could be this guy...

Since the article was published he's now missing out on $500M.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/12/technology/bitcoin-passwords-wallets-fortunes.html

Stefan Thomas, a German-born programmer living in San Francisco, has two guesses left to figure out a password that is worth, as of this week, about $220 million.

The password will let him unlock a small hard drive, known as an IronKey, which contains the private keys to a digital wallet that holds 7,002 Bitcoin. While the price of Bitcoin dropped sharply on Monday, it is still up more than 50 percent from just a month ago, when it passed its previous all-time high of around $20,000.

The problem is that Mr. Thomas years ago lost the paper where he wrote down the password for his IronKey, which gives users 10 guesses before it seizes up and encrypts its contents forever. He has since tried eight of his most commonly used password formulations — to no avail.

Hopefully he got his Bitcoin when it was a dollar a pop.

I have it all printed out and hidden, but where someone will find it when going through my shit some day.
  • Drool 1

On 12/6/2021 at 12:07 PM, RDCanecutter said:

my wife has a wallet and knows how to use seed phrases.  both kids have mm accounts but are not super savvy about how they work just yet, but they are in middle school.  all pw and seed phrases are in a safe, but still need to go and list the credentials/pw/2fa for the centralized exchanges.  I think stuff like this will be rolled into what should be a burgeoning tax/accounting service for crypto.   after i get hit by a bus, i think my fam could at least find my crypto stuff.  whether they would sell my animal jpegs for pennies on the dollar is another story.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

9 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

my wife has a wallet and knows how to use seed phrases.  both kids have mm accounts but are not super savvy about how they work just yet, but they are in middle school.  all pw and seed phrases are in a safe, but still need to go and list the credentials/pw/2fa for the centralized exchanges.  I think stuff like this will be rolled into what should be a burgeoning tax/accounting service for crypto.   after i get hit by a bus, i think my fam could at least find my crypto stuff.  whether they would sell my animal jpegs for pennies on the dollar is another story.

what if they don't? Then all your savings are gone😁

Edited by MarkLotek

On 12/6/2021 at 8:52 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There is no doubt that bitcoin and other proof of work coins use a lot of electricity to operate. Hence why many of the major mining ops are located near cheap renewal energy like geothermal or hydroelectric. There have been concerns that mining ops in some countries took advantage of subsidized electricity rates but that's the right of that govt to do so.

Electricity usage is also why many of the proof of work coins are looking to switch to proof of stake which will greatly reduce (99%) the power usage. Like Ethereum. 

I don't see bitcoin switching away from their model which isn't the best but bitcoin mining rewards will continue to drop which will reduce the need to mine. Still market forces will continue to move bitcoin mining to more renewables as renewable energy continues to drop in price.

We've finalized the purchase tonight of 2,500 of Bitmain's "Antminer" s19 TH95's to roll onto a project in Midland -  to direct the flare gas on the well heads into generators to fire all of these up and, God willing, rake on the the yield. 

There's also a proprietary "cooling" system that submerges these units in cooled petroleum barrels.  

If any of y'all throw down like this in this space and would like to syndicate something.   reach out.   More is more right now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/31/bitcoin-mining-giants-bitdeer-riot-blockchain-in-rockdale-texas.html

We've finalized the purchase tonight of 2,500 of Bitmain's "Antminer" s19 TH95's to roll onto a project in Midland -  to direct the flare gas on the well heads into generators to fire all of these up and, God willing, rake on the the yield. 
There's also a proprietary "cooling" system that submerges these units in cooled petroleum barrels.  
If any of y'all throw down like this in this space and would like to syndicate something.   reach out.   More is more right now.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/31/bitcoin-mining-giants-bitdeer-riot-blockchain-in-rockdale-texas.html

Pm me if you need low latency fiber optic connectivity, I have some exclusive routes into the oil patch.

I met with the dominant Midstream company for Midland in their Woodlands HQ yesterday, eventually we were just chatting and I asked them about wellhead flare gas and crypto and they chuckled. Their comment was "at the wellhead, all gas isn't flammable gas and that is some shit so good luck keeping generators working"

Seeing a lot of hype, wondering how much is snake oil.

I'm dipping my toes into an early rebasing DAO project (index down at ~1.4). Those projects all seem like scams to me (especially for people that get in later), but I know a couple people that turned a quick five figure profit, so figured I'd give it a shot with an amount I'm comfortable losing in Vegas.

Anyone here have any experience/luck with them?

7 hours ago, UTHornFan014 said:

I'm dipping my toes into an early rebasing DAO project (index down at ~1.4). Those projects all seem like scams to me (especially for people that get in later), but I know a couple people that turned a quick five figure profit, so figured I'd give it a shot with an amount I'm comfortable losing in Vegas.

Anyone here have any experience/luck with them?

I threw some money (low level) at Olympus and Wonderland about 4 weeks ago. I'm treating this like I would a sports bet in terms that the money is already lost. Especially wonderland. I'm staking only. I avoided minting/bonding as I didn't want spend much time dealing with it. I definitely didn't leverage my staking as that it adds risk with margin calls.

The token prices are down fairly substantially since I joined but I'm "earning" enough tokens that the loss isn't too bad.  

What project are you looking at? 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

29 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

hey whats the story with the internet horse?  did we come to a resolution?  i couldnt find the other thread.  i didnt look that hard either.

Zed? We didn't really resolve anything as many of the owners never commented.

the last times I set up some races, I would attempt to join dozens of races before I could successfully join a race. But this was a few months ago. I will test it out over the next few weeks to see if the system is working better. I don't mind setting up some races but it wasn't fun when I was wasting my time.

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Zed? We didn't really resolve anything as many of the owners never commented.

the last times I set up some races, I would attempt to join dozens of races before I could successfully join a race. But this was a few months ago. I will test it out over the next few weeks to see if the system is working better. I don't mind setting up some races but it wasn't fun when I was wasting my time.

Racing is waaay better than it was a few months ago.  And races now run within 5 minutes of filling up.  And they just reworked the class system so not as many of the super strong horses are able to stay down in class 5 and dominate like they used to.  One of my best horses is a U-shaped racer and always stayed in class V, would pop up to class IV occasionally and then drop right back down.  He's now squarely in the middle of class III and still doing okay, but not nearly as good as before.

All that to say, it's worth you trying those horses out and seeing how they do in this new system.

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I threw some money (low level) at Olympus and Wonderland about 4 weeks ago. I'm treating this like I would a sports bet in terms that the money is already lost. Especially wonderland. I'm staking only. I avoided minting/bonding as I didn't want spend much time dealing with it. I definitely didn't leverage my staking as that it adds risk with margin calls.

The token prices are down fairly substantially since I joined but I'm "earning" enough tokens that the loss isn't too bad.  

What project are you looking at? 

One called MidasDAO (their coin is CROWN). It is on quite the run up over the last 24 hours

28 minutes ago, UTHornFan014 said:

One called MidasDAO (their coin is CROWN). It is on quite the run up over the last 24 hours

IMO, the real key is if the project & price can survive 4-8 weeks depending on the APY. Then withdrawal your original amount and see what the profit does in the long run.

Or just go for the home run by keeping the original amount in there.

On 12/10/2021 at 1:12 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

IMO, the real key is if the project & price can survive 4-8 weeks depending on the APY. Then withdrawal your original amount and see what the profit does in the long run.

Or just go for the home run by keeping the original amount in there.

Well... I'm officially up 4x based on current price. I've pulled out my original investment, so gonna let the rest compound and see what happens. Maybe it can turn into a passive income stream for a little while (one can dream!)

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/6/2021 at 12:07 PM, RDCanecutter said:

I'm a heavy crypto trader and have a number of things set up, but it really helps to have a trusted person or two that can actually understand how to access Metamask/TrustWallet and/or other wallets/storage if anything were to happen to you.  You can't really just randomly hide say your seed phrases and wallet(s) info in a safety deposit box without a little more context for someone looking at it later.  One of my kids is perfect for direct oversight if needed, as he understands the entire crypto space very well on the defi side at least (Telegram communities/low MC very risky stuff/meme coins/gaming NFTs), even at his age, and he's got a TrustWallet (uses it for Binance Smart Chain based stuff mostly) and Metamask (for ETH based) and is very familiar with the defi space and also the bigger tokens (BTC/ETH/SOL/ADA/ADAX) as well and he's kind of the point person to help my wife if things really went bad, etc.  I probably should be doing more actually...

• Drool 1

On 12/8/2021 at 10:41 PM, nd2003 said:

Here is a unique coin for pet lovers (or investors)! 

Doge.jpg.f6b9c8b9d5a40860f3eab674055baf11.jpg

Great team and still pre-marketing. https://classicdoge.io/ 

I remember seeing this one.  I think it did a 10x from launch the first 24-48 hours or so, but with BSC tokens, other than a few rare exceptions like Safemoon -- best to just pump and dump quickly for the most part.  Throw in 1 BNB presale/launch for decent project, let it go up a bit, get out quick.  And to say it's high risk (very high risk) is still an understatement.  

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, 4thgenhorn said:

BTC question, all the maintenance of the blockchain is done by farming servers, correct?  So what happens when 100% of the BTC float is issued…how are the servers compensated for continuing maintenance of the blockchain?  

Unknown answer but that is projected to occur in 2140 so there is time to figure it out. 

I had been using PayPal to buy but fees are high. Just started on Coinbase. 

anyone using the Coinbase wallet?  Good enough?  

ideally would like to throw enough in to play with some gaming NFT buys. It’ll be interesting if the NFT space provides a pricing floor to ETH or other. 

if you are going to be doing anything other than buying and holding, i would also use Coinbase Pro.  no additional fees or anything and transfers between CB and CB Pro are free.

if you want access to more coins then get a kucoin account.  that's what i use, but maybe someone else could chime in RE: crypto.com

• Hook 'Em 2