7 Loudest College Football Stadiums

Vic Mackey

17 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Texas fans are as loud as anyone in big games and as quiet as anyone in insignificant games. A&M is no different. 

For my money, the Cotton Bowl in October is as consistently loud as any stadium. The beginning of the game is usually deafening (when teams take the field, etc.) And the average hate level is off the charts. 

The greatest thing about that game is that on every single play, half the crowd is living and half the crowd is dying. There's no middle ground, there's no allowance for a let-down, there's no respite.  It's just an unbelievable atmosphere and anyone that hasn't been there, simply has no way to understand it.

My wife is an Aggie, and she's been coming to TX-OU with me for 20 years now.  The very first game she attended when she was just my gf and not my wife, the 1998 shellacking of the putrid inbreds, she told me two things.

1) You know, you're right.  OU really does suck

2) This game isn't like anything I've ever seen, including any and every game at Kyle Field

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, utee94 said:

The greatest thing about that game is that on every single play, half the crowd is living and half the crowd is dying. There's no middle ground, there's no allowance for a let-down, there's no respite.  It's just an unbelievable atmosphere and anyone that hasn't been there, simply has no way to understand it.

Damn straight. Each fan base tries to out-yell the other. And out-insult the other. The insults are amazing. I’ve said and done things there that I would never say or do elsewhere. And I’ve seen some things...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bartles said:

Key to that article is the emphasis on the physical structure of the stadium, which is true. I bet Miami is near the top now due to the re-design of the Dolphins stadium where all the noise bounces right back into the bowl.

That would require people showing up for the game.

6 hours ago, PatSolitanojr said:

2012 #8 Gino Smith led WVU vs #11Texas was very loud in the 4th quarter. I think it's the loudest Texas fight I've heard in person. 

I took my son who was 11 at the time to that game. Loud but not the loudest I've heard. That was a disappointing game.

13 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I was at this game.  Yeah, it was ridiculously loud.  IIRC, it was the first night game in Husky Stadium history.

But there's no way it was louder than the 1991 U$C game -- the Marinovich "All I saw was purple" game.  There was one point in that game where I was trying to talk to the guy next to me, screaming as loud as I could, and he couldn't hear me.

I was at both those games (actually every home game since Alabama 1978)…. and yes, they were both insanely loud.  The loudest I recall though was for the 2000 Miami game.  My seats were fairly close to the field and you could not hear a thing for three straight hours.

I love the renovated stadium, but I'm not sure it can get that loud any longer what with the multiple levels of suites on the south side.

The loudest other stadia I've been to are Clemson, LSU, and Oregon.  Michigan was louder than I expected; Oklahoma, tOSU about the same.  ND and the old Orange Bowl not as impressive as I would have thought, though both games were beatdowns so perhaps understandable.  Quietest?  Hawai'i... but, hey, Hawai'i.

Really want to check out the RRS, and hopefully DKR.  I'll visit Kyle if we ever play them again.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

I was at both those games (actually every home game since Alabama 1978)…. and yes, they were both insanely loud.  The loudest I recall though was for the 2000 Miami game.  My seats were fairly close to the field and you could not hear a thing for three straight hours.

I love the renovated stadium, but I'm not sure it can get that loud any longer what with the multiple levels of suites on the south side.

The loudest other stadia I've been to are Clemson, LSU, and Oregon.  Michigan was louder than I expected; Oklahoma, tOSU about the same.  ND and the old Orange Bowl not as impressive as I would have thought, though both games were beatdowns so perhaps understandable.  Quietest?  Hawai'i... but, hey, Hawai'i.

Really want to check out the RRS, and hopefully DKR.  I'll visit Kyle if we ever play them again.

I went with my dad to the UW/OU tilt back in 2006...

reggie-smith-of-oklahoma-runs-on-a-retur

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

I went with my dad to the UW/OU tilt back in 2006...

reggie-smith-of-oklahoma-runs-on-a-retur

Despite our shitty coach, the Shit Midas himself, that was still a good game until Stanback (UW QB) fumbled midway through the 2nd half.  Actually had a great time there, laughed at the Sooner Schooner (see 1985 Orange Bowl for why), and didn't pay for a beer the entire weekend.  That said I lost track of the number of Sooner fans who came up and said "Welcome to Oklahoma!  Did you fly or did you drive?"  Yes, Oklahomans, while it is indeed technically possible to drive, most of us coming down for the game flew rather than drive the 1,980 miles from Seattle.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

Despite our shitty coach, the Shit Midas himself, that was still a good game until Stanback (UW QB) fumbled midway through the 2nd half.  Actually had a great time there, laughed at the Sooner Schooner (see 1985 Orange Bowl for why), and didn't pay for a beer the entire weekend.  That said I lost track of the number of Sooner fans who came up and said "Welcome to Oklahoma!  Did you fly or did you drive?"  Yes, Oklahomans, while it is indeed technically possible to drive, most of us coming down for the game flew rather than drive the 1,980 miles from Seattle.

I've family who moved back from Seattle, always spoke on how nice the region is, I look forward to visiting the area in a few & plan to catch a PAC game at Husky Stadium as well... 

AndYouHaveA+RepComin'YourWay..! I am all out right now...

• Like 1

I was a freshman at UT in 95. Had a friend who was hanging outside by Jester when the Texas Virginia game came to an end. 

They said the explosion of cheers when Dawson's kick eeked over the crossbar startled everyone. It had gotten so quiet in the few minutes before the kick, they assumed the game was over. 

An underrated one was 08 Mizzou. We got to the stadium late and were riding up the escalators on the west side. I could hear the crowd roar from inside the walls, I assumed we had returned the kickoff for a TD due to the noise. It was just a sack. 

Knew the crowd was bought in after that. 

• Like 1

I think arguing about the loudest...  best... is just emotional masturbation... so congrats to Washington, enjoy the trophy.

The Swamp is loud, but that's just part of it...  it's steep and in the Old days the student section was on top of the opposing bench...  I recall sitting next to the opposing fans on opening kick-off they were like "Oh my fucking god... this place is crazy"...  I'd smile and tell them to just wait...

The Cock Block (from the old people seats)

I don't think it'll be like that again...Millennials, no re-entry, etc...  I'm fine with the Swamp in the top 10, lately it probably doesn't deserve to be that high, it just gets a pass on it's rep.

10 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Texas fans are as loud as anyone in big games and as quiet as anyone in insignificant games. A&M is no different. 

For my money, the Cotton Bowl in October is as consistently loud as any stadium. The beginning of the game is usually deafening (when teams take the field, etc.) And the average hate level is off the charts. 

The very best moment in the season, is when the 3rd quarter of the TX/OU game ends, and it's a close one that year, and both fan bases start dialing it up during the break in the action. 4th quarter's coming. This game is OURS.  Gives me chills just thinking about it.  Someone get me a Fletchers and a funnel cake and a Shiner Bock NOW.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

lolwat?  Washington, Clemson, LSU, Oregon, Penn State, and Michigan are top 6?  They have no history of winning?

Usually it's the TV crew that measures this.

Wut ?

Might want to look here....that list has #1, #9, #16, #24 and #26 in all time wins. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_football_teams_by_wins

25 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I doubt Michigan belongs in the Top 7, but in their defense, they only started playing night games about four years ago. Their night crowds are pretty rowdy.

It looks like they've just taken a sampling of whatever decibel level data they could find.  I don't think the looked very hard, since they claim they couldn't find any data for Kyle Field and I know for a fact they've taken "official" measurements at multiple different games over the years there.

I doubt Michigan is truly in the top 7 if you took an average, but with that many people it can definitely get pretty loud at times.

17 hours ago, PatSolitanojr said:

2012 #8 Gino Smith led WVU vs #11Texas was very loud in the 4th quarter. I think it's the loudest Texas fight I've heard in person. 

This. Mizzou '08 was loud as fuck and that WVU game had the single angriest Texas/Fight chant during a kickoff that I've ever heard in my life.

17 hours ago, Bevo Num1 said:
23 hours ago, utee94 said:
Texas doesn't have the loudest stadium, we all know and understand that.

But I do wonder how loud it's been at some key moments.  Like Ricky's TD run against the Aggies that set the record.  Or Phil Dawson's game winning kick against UVA.  Or the entire 1990 Texas-Houston game.  It would be interesting to see how those stacked up against other all-time loud stadium moments around the country.

Add '08 Mizzou to that list.

The week after we beat OU?  Yeah, that was loud as I can remember.  It's like the crowd won that game.  

51 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

All I can tell you is that the Sept. 2011 game in which Texas lost to UCLA in Austin was quite loud on account of my screams of anguish from the upper deck. 

and yet, it was so quiet in the fourth that all of Austin could hear some 20-yr old cutie in the stands exclaiming "FUCK!" after another turnover

On 8/8/2018 at 11:49 AM, utee94 said:

Yes, yes indeed.  That was my freshman year.  I never knew so much beer existed in the whole world.  And then after the game, I went with my older brother to a frat party and they introduced me to bourbon and coke.  Ugh...

Such a naif.

11 hours ago, kopp0e said:

I've family who moved back from Seattle, always spoke on how nice the region is, I look forward to visiting the area in a few & plan to catch a PAC game at Husky Stadium as well... 

AndYouHaveA+RepComin'YourWay..! I am all out right now...

There's not a better place on earth this time of year, but especially in September/early October.  

5 hours ago, Loco said:

I think arguing about the loudest...  best... is just emotional masturbation... so congrats to Washington, enjoy the trophy.

The Swamp is loud, but that's just part of it...  it's steep and in the Old days the student section was on top of the opposing bench...  I recall sitting next to the opposing fans on opening kick-off they were like "Oh my fucking god... this place is crazy"...  I'd smile and tell them to just wait...

The Cock Block (from the old people seats)

I don't think it'll be like that again...Millennials, no re-entry, etc...  I'm fine with the Swamp in the top 10, lately it probably doesn't deserve to be that high, it just gets a pass on it's rep.

I've you've never been to a game at Husky stadium, those overhangs make that stadium a constantly buzzing echo chamber.  It gets VERY loud in there.  

• Like 2

I have heard the same thing about 2008 Missouri at DKR from many who attended. My cousin and his friend went and he said its the loudest sporting event he's attended for any sport. That is about the loudest I can remember a game at DKR in any recent memory and that was just watching on tv. The hype around that game was enormous. We had just beat OU. Missouri with Chase Daniel (I think) was also highly ranked and had national title hopes.

I actually enjoyed that season more than the 2009 season. I thought we had more energy in 2008. We kind of slept walked through 2009. Especially that OU game. Both should have ended in MNC appearances but oh well.

Drove by the UW stadium when it was being built.  It looks nice, but uhhh... small, very small.  I was surprised when I saw it seated 70k+.   I guess that tackle box section adds a lot of seating.

I think the era of the monster college stadium is past...  I think Oregon got it right on size and layout.

30 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I have heard the same thing about 2008 Missouri at DKR from many who attended. My cousin and his friend went and he said its the loudest sporting event he's attended for any sport. That is about the loudest I can remember a game at DKR in any recent memory and that was just watching on tv. The hype around that game was enormous. We had just beat OU. Missouri with Chase Daniel (I think) was also highly ranked and had national title hopes.

I actually enjoyed that season more than the 2009 season. I thought we had more energy in 2008. We kind of slept walked through 2009. Especially that OU game. Both should have ended in MNC appearances but oh well.

It was also our first time playing at home ranked #1 in 30 some odd years, I believe.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, TornACL said:

The very best moment in the season, is when the 3rd quarter of the TX/OU game ends, and it's a close one that year, and both fan bases start dialing it up during the break in the action. 4th quarter's coming. This game is OURS.  Gives me chills just thinking about it.  Someone get me a Fletchers and a funnel cake and a Shiner Bock NOW.

Just got goosebumps

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yes it was Chase and Maclin team. They lost the prior week to Okie St or it would have been a #1 vs #2 matchup

• Like 1

Boone Pickens gets loud as fuck since the renovations, enclosed with a flat wall on the arena side, of but it’s 60k and not a lot of football tradition.

Loudest sporting event I ever heard was Gallagher Iba Arena vs Mizzou, 2001 first game after we lost 10 people in a plane crash. Very therapeutic, so fucking loud.

Legend has it that crowd noise shattered light bulbs during Bedlam wresting in the old armory gymnasium in the 20s.

19 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Boone Pickens gets loud as fuck since the renovations, enclosed with a flat wall on the arena side, of but it’s 60k and not a lot of football tradition.

Loudest sporting event I ever heard was Gallagher Iba Arena vs Mizzou, 2001 first game after we lost 10 people in a plane crash. Very therapeutic, so fucking loud.

Legend has it that crowd noise shattered light bulbs during Bedlam wresting in the old armory gymnasium in the 20s.

The crew of paddlers is pretty damn loud too... When done in unison the echo is reverberating...

The '99 Nebraska Mike Jones rumble was probably the loudest moment I've heard at DKR.  

What year was the Missouri rain game? 2002?  That was crazy as that sheer wall of water crossed over the field, reflecting the roar back onto the crowd, loud af. I had lucked into a single ticket on the fifty, 5 rows up from the bench.  People around me were passing flasks around and everybody was chugging from them, even the old bluehair ladies as we got drenched.  It was glorious.