High

nivek3

Kinda, but not 100%.

But yes, they’re trying to get 8/9 from hemp.

The big-ass pieces can still contain an equivalent dose, and still be legal because it’s percentage-based not weight-based.

For example, you can put the same amount by weight (aka a dose) in an M&M and also in a cupcake. 

The M&M wouldn’t be legal in states without legalization, but the cupcake would because of the percentage by volume.

Delta 9 is also found in some amount in cannabis. 

Just now, thunderlounge said:

Delta 9 is also found in some amount in cannabis. 

Not just “in some amount.” Delta 9 is the primary intoxicating molecule in marijuana. There is literally no difference at the molecular level between “Delta 9 THC” and the THC in marijuana that is primarily responsible for getting you high. The difference from what I can tell is that marijuana also includes a whole shitload of other cannabinoids (such as CBD, CBN, Delta 8, Delta 10, etc.), typically in lower amounts compared to Delta 9 THC. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Right. And when THCa is burned, it converts to Delta 9. THCa isn’t psychoactive. That’s why just chewing weed won’t get you high. You have to cook it to get THC (Delta 9).

I should clarify that when using the term “marijuana,” I’m generally referring to edibles derived from the marijuana plant. Which I understand is probably confusing. 

Edited by BrickHorn

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

Depends on exactly what it being consumed. Real stuff? Only the highest of tolerances could ride that. Mine tolerance is up there pretty decent, and I wouldn't take more than 100mg, and probably (now) 50 would be about my comfortable limit.

Now the delta 8, and whatever 9 stuff is actually called, those are different. Especially the d8 stuff.

In short, not all mg's are equivalent.

Delta 8

14 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Right. And when THCa is burned, it converts to Delta 9. THCa isn’t psychoactive. That’s why just chewing weed won’t get you high. You have to cook it to get THC (Delta 9).

I should clarify that when using the term “marijuana,” I’m generally referring to edibles derived from the marijuana plant. Which I understand is probably confusing. 

True, but until decarboxylation occurs, it’s not d9.

14 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Delta 8

That’s why. 500mg d8 isn’t really as much as you would think, as it is much less potent.

15 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

True, but until decarboxylation occurs, it’s not d9.

Agreed. It’s why you have to compare like to like. The ingredient in “Delta 9” edibles that gets you high is Delta 9 THC, which is the exact same psychoactive molecule found in marijuana edibles. But people are super confused about that, probably because Delta 8 (which is different) appeared in the Texas market first.

I am fascinated by the legal and business angle to hemp in Texas. At this point, full legalization might end up more restrictive than the status quo in many regards.

Where recreational weed is legal, the state typically (exclusively?) regulates retail sales so that you have to go to a licensed dispensary, show your ID, etc. But currently in Texas, hemp-derived THC products are sold OTC in all kinds of random places: head shops, smoke shops, gas stations, hipster grocery stores. There’s even a fucking weed trailer downtown. And tons of companies have popped up to offer a wide range of edible products. 

If we “legalize,” does all that free market, small business entrepreneur shit get shut down? In other words, would legalization actually make the Texas THC market less free than it currently is?

• Hook 'Em 1

The short answer to that is, no.

However you have to also realize that a lot of those "places" really aren't worth a flying fuck anyway. They don't test, have no oversight whatsoever, and well, how's that work out in the long term for other things? It doesn't.

Right now you have options, but are they quality options? And by quality I don't mean "it works well", I mean quality ingredients, potency testing, quality of the grow, etc. 95% of those "hemp products" have one goal in mind: to separate you from your money. It's made as cheaply as possible, all in the name of turning a profit and to hell with the long term effects on the consumer.

So yes, some of those places will go under. But they won't go away completely. The black market won't go away completely either, but their will be "casualties" on that front as well.

18 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Right now you have options, but are they quality options? And by quality I don't mean "it works well", I mean quality ingredients, potency testing, quality of the grow, etc. 95% of those "hemp products" have one goal in mind: to separate you from your money. It's made as cheaply as possible, all in the name of turning a profit and to hell with the long term effects on the consumer.

Are there any hemp-derived brands you think are legit? 

Hometown Hero seems to have their shit together.

Best I can advise is to do your homework. If it’s something obscure from a gas station, you may want to pass. 

I’m not saying there aren’t some legit companies out there, but buyer beware. I’d hate for someone to get hurt with a “product” they’re consuming on good faith. 

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Best I can advise is to do your homework. If it’s something obscure from a gas station, you may want to pass. 

I’m not saying there aren’t some legit companies out there, but buyer beware. I’d hate for someone to get hurt with a “product” they’re consuming on good faith. 

Totally with you on that. And I’m hardly opposed to regulation and oversight on stuff like this. My point is (trying not to stray into CR territory): the status quo on weed is most consistent with Texas’s attitude towards business. Let entrepreneurs do their thing, safety and shit be damned. But in this case, it conflicts with the state’s general moral opposition to marijuana. 

So, which will win out? Texans’ unregulated commerce fetish or their puritanical bias?

Edited by BrickHorn

That’s a very understandable concern. I don’t blame you one bit.

I think the largest obstacle is the federal level. Consider how alcohol works. For someone to manufacture and distribute they have to be licensed. Their products get tested for not only the %/vol but impurities as well. There is oversight there to prevent harm and so that you know the product is safe (relatively, obviously, without getting into long term blah blah) and is what it claims.

States with approved outlets for medical and/or recreational all have the same testing in place so you know the product you’re purchasing for consumption is safe. Of course smoking isn’t “good” for you, but you know what I mean.

Even then you still want to research the grower, to make sure they are on the up and up. You don’t want an unethical (not illegal) grower that feeds their crop with bad juice like growth hormones or other bullshit you really don’t want in your smoke/edible.

Not that there can’t be other quality issues (dry, picked too early, not cured properly, etc) but those aren’t a safety issue and those growers tend to be thinned out from the herd over time as word gets out.

Getting back to the alcohol comparison, and you can see that the feds have set out the minimum requirements, but states can further tighten the reins beyond that if they so choose.

That being the case, and where the Texas concerns come into play, is that at a minimum they would have to follow federal regulations, which should take care of those underlying issues.

Of course that assumes if Texas hasn’t legalized by that time, they would allow it because of it then being legal at the federal level. There’s always the chance they keep it out of the state, even if federally legal. 

I’ve decided I’m not a big edible fan. They take too long to kick in and are hard to moderate (I’ve had edibles from the same container have vastly different levels of effect). I’ve been vaping for awhile and I like the immediacy of it and the fact I can have a little and then a little more. But I find myself wondering what sort of chemicals and other things might be in that little yellow vial of goo. Flower would probably be ideal but I have teenagers and don’t want anything stinky in the house. 

What’s up with tinctures? Do they hit like flower (i.e. it doesn’t have to be processed by the liver)? I’ve heard good things about the sodas but the logistics are a problem (can’t really throw a case in my carry on when I’m coming home from legal states). 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/24/2023 at 4:01 PM, Buzzrock said:

I’ve decided I’m not a big edible fan. They take too long to kick in and are hard to moderate (I’ve had edibles from the same container have vastly different levels of effect). I’ve been vaping for awhile and I like the immediacy of it and the fact I can have a little and then a little more. But I find myself wondering what sort of chemicals and other things might be in that little yellow vial of goo. Flower would probably be ideal but I have teenagers and don’t want anything stinky in the house. 

What’s up with tinctures? Do they hit like flower (i.e. it doesn’t have to be processed by the liver)? I’ve heard good things about the sodas but the logistics are a problem (can’t really throw a case in my carry on when I’m coming home from legal states). 

I'm with you on your first paragraph. That lead me to buy a dry herb vaporizer which I use far more than the oil pens now. Yes, it's more of a hassle (but not much) and requires cleaning every 8-10 sessions or so, but I'm really enjoying it. Fun to browse flower and try different types, and I'm saving money when compared to exclusively using oil carts.

I bought the below about a year ago and would highly recommend. It's a budget device, and my understanding is that there are far superior devices out there, but I've got no complaints here. I smoke it inside the house and don't think it's any worse than the pens when it comes to smell/odor. 

https://420vapezone.com/xmax-v3-pro-review/

I try to stick to the dry herb vape and edibles now, although the ease and convenience of the pen still has me still occasionally buying them just to have, and for travel, concerts, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/24/2023 at 9:08 AM, thunderlounge said:

Hometown Hero's HHC gummies are fantastic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2023 at 7:50 PM, Deej said:

Hometown Hero's HHC gummies are fantastic. 

Big fan of their 1:1 THC/CBD gummies. I can enjoy one for a few hours, then sleep like a dead man for 7 solid hours. 

Does anyone have a CloudV Globe vaporizer? It's a dual purpose (flower or concentrates) vape with a bubbler on top...kind of a vape/bong hybrid. Looks interesting, but could also be gimmicky. No online review to be had that I can find. 

On 1/11/2024 at 2:37 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

Big fan of their 1:1 THC/CBD gummies. I can enjoy one for a few hours, then sleep like a dead man for 7 solid hours. 

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

This is what I've been doing for a while now. A 1:1:1 THC:CBD:CBN, with melatonin.

I can make my own, but just can't seem to get the overall desired effects.

Speaking of which... 'Merica!

delivery.png.6b1eb7072f76d9acff0f04cfaa1eb732.png

• Hook 'Em 2

Why do edibles hit different sometimes?  Took 1/2 of what I normally take and now I’m stuck at Chuy’s high af.  
That's what makes them great too. I know for me, it depends on what I eat, and being that THC is fat soluble that could also explain why. Maybe I'm overthinking it, dunno.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

Why do edibles hit different sometimes?  Took 1/2 of what I normally take and now I’m stuck at Chuy’s high af.   😂

For me it seems like dosage affects duration more than highness. I can take half of a 10mg and get almost as high as a whole one, but peak highness lasts about half as long. 

On 1/18/2024 at 3:43 PM, Hook1997 said:

Why do edibles hit different sometimes?  Took 1/2 of what I normally take and now I’m stuck at Chuy’s high af.   😂

possibly inaccurate dosing due to cheap manufacturing? do you find this is true across different brands?

• Hook 'Em 1