2018 Texas Pro Day - March 28

Machinator

35 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Wonder if Hall can get any interest on a conversion to LB in the NFL? Not a bad 40 time for him. I am surprised, though I guess it was always his quickness to adjust that was the issue.

Happy for Poona to finally get his spotlight.

Edited by pacman
I

Why the fuck would they push media all the way to the other end of the bubble? Such a bad look for no reason. Pro days are all about hyping the players. Why get in the way of that?

As for LHN, when they laid a bunch of staff off last year, they pretty much gave up on producing any meaningful content. I'm honestly surprised they're even having a special for pro day.

Edited by Roofle

49 minutes ago, PatrickMcHorn said:

Pretty rad that David Ash is helping out.  Always felt bad for that dude.

Pretty sure Ash has thrown to receivers at every pro-day since he hung up the cleats..

Including the one where he worked out for scouts himself of course.

so the LHN which deloss was all hard up for and which basically almost caused a conference to implode and added to schools jumping conferences has turned to utter shit?

if it wasn't for aggy bolting to the sec sec sec and getting their shit pushed in there as they did in the big 12, one might very reasonably argue that the lhn and everything from it turned out to be a fucking disaster.

24 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

so the LHN which deloss was all hard up for and which basically almost caused a conference to implode and added to schools jumping conferences has turned to utter shit?

if it wasn't for aggy bolting to the sec sec sec and getting their shit pushed in there as they did in the big 12, one might very reasonably argue that the lhn and everything from it turned out to be a fucking disaster.

The LHN has done what Deloss wanted. It’s paid us lots of money. Aggy and Nebraska used the LHN as a convenient excuse for decisions they’d had already planned.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Well, I mean, and millions of dollars.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2018/03/28/scout’s-notebook-connor-williams-malik-jefferson-headline-crowded-ut-pro-day

Scout’s Notebook: Connor Williams, Malik Jefferson Headline Crowded UT Pro Day

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 2:57 PM CDT
broaddus.jpg?itok=TIZBASPX
By Bryan Broaddus

Football Analyst/Scout

AUSTIN, Texas – For the first time in what feels like a while, it was a crowded morning at the Texas Longhorns’ Pro Day.

No doubt, they’ll be hoping it transitions to the college field in the future, but Texas was well-represented as the NFL descended on campus for workouts. Headline by Connor Williams and Malik Jefferson, the Longhorns have six or seven big-time prospects, and they should all hear their names called next month at AT&T Stadium.

Here are some notes from what I saw on the 40 Acres:Read

• Offensive lineman Connor Williams stood on his Combine numbers and just participated in the positional workout portion of the day. The New Orleans Saints conducted the drills, putting him through a pretty instinctive workout.
  • Williams was outstanding in his athletic testing. He was able to open his hips easily while also playing with the proper knee bend.
  • He was flexible in his hips and displayed some power/pop when they asked him to explode through the bag.
  • He was able to adjust, going both to his left or right easily out of both stances. During the season Williams generally played out of a two-point stance, and seeing him play with either hand on the ground appeared to be comfortable for him.
  • Working through the bag, Williams displayed a flat back with power through the hips. There was no struggle when it came to maintaining that football position.

• Pass set and punch were coordinated along with the ability to stay with his man. There was quickness out of his stance with balance once he made contact.

• There are teams looking at Williams not only as a tackle, but a potential guard, as well. It was interesting to see the Saints working him as a possible center by having him shotgun some snaps.

Like Connor Williams, linebacker Malik Jefferson stood on his Combine numbers, which had him as a 4.54 guy. When it came time to work with the coaches, it was interesting that Jefferson choose to work second instead of first with the linebackers. In other words, he didn’t want to lead the drills.

• The workout, from an athletic standpoint, was a little different. Jefferson wasn’t as smooth running through the drills as he appears on tape. He was a little tight turning and not as fluid. There was some labor in his movement as if he was fighting himself. His stiffness showed up as a pass rusher running the circles in those drills.

• Where Jefferson did show up was in coverage. There was a burst when he had to carry the route up the sideline and he didn’t look as clunky. He also had some pop in his hands when taking on the pad.
  • The lateral quickness through the bags wasn’t as good but again, you see him play better on tape.
  • Safety DeShon Elliot stood on his Combine numbers, as well. He looked a little tight in his movements as well -- except when he had to drive on the ball. Better job coming forward than going back.
  • I liked what I saw from him when it came to covering some ground. Once he opened up and took off running deep, he showed some speed. This was an area where he struggled badly on tape.
  • I really liked what I saw from defensive tackle Poona Ford in this workout. He didn’t have a chance to go to the Combine, so this was a big day for him. His times varied from 5.18 to 5.20, which is fine for his size.  He benched 225, 25 times which was a little surprising. I thought he would have done maybe five to eight more reps.

• The Cincinnati Bengals conducted the workout with Ford, putting him through various drills.

• Being built low to the ground helps Ford with his bend and redirection. He was outstanding running the circle drill, getting low to the ground and snatching the tennis ball off the ground.

• On tape he’s a powerful man, in person you see that power. The way he was able to swat the bags and work back to the quarterback was impressive. He has a real feel for how to position himself to finish the play.
  • Ford might be a nose tackle build-wise, but he does have those traits that you’d like to see from your three-technique, as well. He really helped himself with his workout.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

Fuck the combine for not inviting Poona.   He was one of my favorite horns the last few years. 

Poona reminds me of Casey Hampton. Pretty quiet publicly here but a true blue collar guy. He just worked hard and got it done.

I hope he has an NFL career like Hampton's.

• Machinator changed the title to 2018 Texas Pro Day - March 28