¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Apparently a black tail rattlesnake was found near Austin yesterday or the day before. First one in like 60 years.

Lulz, just saw the video above. Obviously it wasn’t her first time handling a large black snake. Queue the Full Metal Jacket references.

1024x1024.jpg1024x1024.jpg

• Like 5

I was out riding my bike Saturday, and I came across a nice big rat snek.  It was either a rat snek or black mamba.  I just got my bike tuned up, so the gears and brakes were working like a charm.  I was on a small dirt trail, about 18" wide, and I came around a corner to see a black snake crossing the trail.  I couldn't see the head or tail, just snake.

Here's the section of trail, no snake in the picture.  But you can see the vegetation on each side.  Imagine seeing a snake stretched across the dirt part here:

20190608-132114-1200.jpg

So I squeezed the shit out of both brakes, and almost went flying over the handlebars, onto the snake.  I managed to turn the front wheel, and almost broke my ankle trying to catch myself from falling into the grass, where snake lives.  I watched the snake's tail drag across the trail, and I heard it in the brush.  Within a few seconds, this thing had slithered about 15' away, and started climbing a fucking cedar tree.  Before I knew it, it was 10' up in the tree.

20190608-132129-1200.jpg

I'll spoiler the full version if you want to see it, but it's not much clearer. 

20190608-132129.jpg

Based on the rattle-less tail, dark markings, and white belly, I think it's a rat snake.  But it could be a mamba.  I was impressed at how quickly it got up that tree.

My next bike:

image1698295689-2097@1x.jpg

48 minutes ago, miguelito said:

I was out riding my bike Saturday, and I came across a nice big rat snek.  It was either a rat snek or black mamba.  I just got my bike tuned up, so the gears and brakes were working like a charm.  I was on a small dirt trail, about 18" wide, and I came around a corner to see a black snake crossing the trail.  I couldn't see the head or tail, just snake.

Here's the section of trail, no snake in the picture.  But you can see the vegetation on each side.  Imagine seeing a snake stretched across the dirt part here:

20190608-132114-1200.jpg

So I squeezed the shit out of both brakes, and almost went flying over the handlebars, onto the snake.  I managed to turn the front wheel, and almost broke my ankle trying to catch myself from falling into the grass, where snake lives.  I watched the snake's tail drag across the trail, and I heard it in the brush.  Within a few seconds, this thing had slithered about 15' away, and started climbing a fucking cedar tree.  Before I knew it, it was 10' up in the tree.

20190608-132129-1200.jpg

I'll spoiler the full version if you want to see it, but it's not much clearer. 

Reveal hidden contents

20190608-132129.jpg

Based on the rattle-less tail, dark markings, and white belly, I think it's a rat snake.  But it could be a mamba.  I was impressed at how quickly it got up that tree.

My next bike:

image1698295689-2097@1x.jpg

Oh anything that big has to be a mamba...  l

About an hour ago I was looking out the window at some lizards.  They were acting funny and were sitting on the leaf tops of a Desert Rose I have in a pot.  As I was looking I noticed 5 different lizards each perch on a separate bunch of leaves at the top of the plant.    That's really strange and I hadn't seen them doing this before..like ever.   Then I see a Snek slide up to the pot and start up the base of the plant (from the bottom of the pot to the top of the Desert Rose where all the lizards are now is about 28"-36" or so)  The head of the snek gets about half way to the top and then launches, catching a big ol lizard.  The snek just hauls ass into a hedge and disappears in a flash.  Pretty cool to watch.

Looked him up to see if he needed a shovel massage...  nope Southern Black Racer (not my pic)

Blackracer111805.JPG

/csb

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

So the lizards just got together and played duck duck goose? Loser gets eaten

The reason I payed attention was that the lizards looked like they were playing the floor(grass) is lava.  They were even sitting extended up in the air, I guess to get a better look.  That strike was so fast...it was impressive, Snek not fucking around.

A couple of nights ago

Untitled-attachment-00023.jpg

Pulled him off of the post and put him in the pasture about 50 yards from the house.

Next morning

Untitled-attachment-00014.jpg

Took him down to the lake, you can see part of it at the top of this pic, about 400 yards away. He returned this morning so I put him in a bucket and took him to the golf course. I figured he could eat vermin around the cart sheds.

Untitled-attachment-00011.jpg

Let him go

Untitled-attachment-00005.jpg

And the SOB made a beeline for my golfcart and crawled behind the airbox.

Untitled-attachment-00008.jpg

I pulled him out and put him in one of our maintenance sheds.

Before you criticize my deck, and it does look sorry, we are rebuilding and painting it. You can see the top of my radial arm saw in the 2nd pic.

• Like 3

That's why I have barn cats. I also have 7 kittens (less than 3 weeks old) on the front porch. I don't want the snek to reduce the mouser numbers.

There is a bird nest under the eaves that the snake was after. The wife would be pissed if anything happened to her birds. Some type of swallow that eats bugs so it is allowed to build there.

Edited by Shoxthemonkey

1 hour ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

That's why I have barn cats. I also have 7 kittens (less than 3 weeks old) on the front porch. I don't want the snek to reduce the mouser numbers.

There is a bird nest under the eaves that the snake was after. The wife would be pissed if anything happened to her birds. Some type of swallow that eats bugs so it is allowed to build there.

7 kittens you say ?  Yer gonna need a bigger snek.

• Like 1