San Antonio

TexasHooch

8 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Good Time Charlie’s, imo.

IMG_4623.jpeg

IMG_4624.jpeg

Was it good? I haven't been there in ages  and always thought it was meh. I'd consider giving it another go if it's gotten better. 

Culinaria is going on for the next  couple of weeks  I learned today.  Going to try to explore  some new places. 

Ate at Le Frite tonight for the first time in forever. Mussels were on point but everything else was over salted like a mother.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Had Supper in the Hotel Emma for brunch today. Pretty underwhelming. 

That sucks. I'm going to treat the missus there for a stay-cation there pretty soon so that's good to know actually. TBH I've found most hotel food regardless of rating to be pretty meh. I haven't been to NY though. 

• 1 month later...

I tried sangria on the burg for the first time yesterday. I didn’t try any drinks but the food was mid. Ordered the arroz con leche bites for dessert just out of curiosity. 

It was no joke the best dessert I think I’ve ever had. Not sure if they make it amazing or if it was just that I’d never had arroz con leche in that format (3 fried balls of arroz con leche served over ice cream). It was fucking incredible.

I'm going to be up for a business trip in a few weeks and staying on the SE side of town next to Brooks City-Base.  What's some good stuff in that area?

I'm going to go see my Dad out at Medina lake before the work starts so I've got some stuff planned with him out at the lake but will probably just eat around my hotel during my conference.

I will miss going to Jacala with my Dad though.  That was always a go to trip when I'd come up to visit.  He literally grew up a few blocks from there so he's been going since the 50s.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

I tried sangria on the burg for the first time yesterday. I didn’t try any drinks but the food was mid. Ordered the arroz con leche bites for dessert just out of curiosity. 

It was no joke the best dessert I think I’ve ever had. Not sure if they make it amazing or if it was just that I’d never had arroz con leche in that format (3 fried balls of arroz con leche served over ice cream). It was fucking incredible.

Always way overrated imo. I had so many people tell about it. Been a few times. It’s just ok.

On 7/19/2023 at 7:34 PM, miguelito said:

Casa Rio is the original joint down there, with decent enough Tex-Mex for out of towners.  Plus, they have the colorful umbrellas that make for good pictures.  Careful that they don't seat you beneath the bridge, though. 

Boudro's has better food and good drinks, but not really Mexican.  Avoid Lone Star or whatever it is across the river from Casa Rio.

Sorry to shit on a 2 month old rec, but Casa Rio absolutely sucks. It was the first Mexican Restaurant that our family ate at when we moved to SA in 1974, and it took me a while to realize that Tex Mex was good. I took my family and in-laws to the Riverwalk in 2017, and we had a vegan in the group. She decided that their menu was doable, so we ate there. All of these out-of-staters were completely unimpressed with their SA Tex Mex experience. I didn’t even realize it was the same restaurant from 1974 until we took the narrow stairs through the back of the restaurant to get to street level. I recognized those stairs and had flashbacks.

Again, sorry to bash your recommendation. I realize you weren’t saying it was great, or even very good, just decent. 

non-stops to europe coming soon:

San Antonio International Airport (SAT) will soon welcome its first-ever scheduled long-haul flights in the form of direct services to Frankfurt Airport (FRA), operated by Condor. From May 2024, the German leisure carrier will send its distinctive Airbus A330-900s (neo) to the Texan airport thrice weekly.

https://simpleflying.com/condor-airbus-a330neo-frankfurt-san-antonio/

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, deft said:

That place is in a gas station right? Saw it on the socials

Yep. Not a good neighborhood, barely any seating, have to buy fountain drinks from the gas station clerk, but it's a damn good burger. Coworkers and I have been twice now. 

12 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

I will miss going to Jacala with my Dad though.  That was always a go to trip when I'd come up to visit.  He literally grew up a few blocks from there so he's been going since the 50s.

Same with my parents.  I feel the same void every time I've been in SA, since.

Hope you have a good time with your Dad, though.  

8 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Sorry to shit on a 2 month old rec, but Casa Rio absolutely sucks. It was the first Mexican Restaurant that our family ate at when we moved to SA in 1974, and it took me a while to realize that Tex Mex was good. I took my family and in-laws to the Riverwalk in 2017, and we had a vegan in the group. She decided that their menu was doable, so we ate there. All of these out-of-staters were completely unimpressed with their SA Tex Mex experience. I didn’t even realize it was the same restaurant from 1974 until we took the narrow stairs through the back of the restaurant to get to street level. I recognized those stairs and had flashbacks.

Again, sorry to bash your recommendation. I realize you weren’t saying it was great, or even very good, just decent. 

To be honest I haven't eaten there in a long time.  I wouldn't eat there myself anymore (did enough of that as a kid, and didn't know better), but I did like to recommend it to out-of-towners for the Riverwalk "experience."  Maybe not anymore.

If I'm right there at lunchtime, I'm heading up to Schilo's for a reuben, split pea soup, and root beer. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

we gotta go down for a soccer game tmw.  we'll be eating dinner before coming back to austin hopefully in time for the start of the baylor game.  what are your favorite places around I-35 and Thousand Oaks? interested in all cuisines.  all four kids will be with us but they're not fussy about food and don't have to have a playscape or anything like that to be entertained.

12 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

we gotta go down for a soccer game tmw.  we'll be eating dinner before coming back to austin hopefully in time for the start of the baylor game.  what are your favorite places around I-35 and Thousand Oaks? interested in all cuisines.  all four kids will be with us but they're not fussy about food and don't have to have a playscape or anything like that to be entertained.

It is the other direction on 35, but I love Pollos Asados los Nortenos near Walzem. Even though they have "pollos" in their name, their steak fajitas are awesome.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Not really a happening part of town. I would eat at Pasha right outside of 1604.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Pretty blank area to be honest. Not much for restaurants at all around there. I assume you’re at STAR soccer complex? Your best bet is prolly a taco truck or barbacoa 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/21/2023 at 6:46 PM, Ag with kids said:

I'm going to be up for a business trip in a few weeks and staying on the SE side of town next to Brooks City-Base.  What's some good stuff in that area?

I'm going to go see my Dad out at Medina lake before the work starts so I've got some stuff planned with him out at the lake but will probably just eat around my hotel during my conference.

nicha’s

On 9/22/2023 at 9:39 AM, Stanley said:

I love SA but don't expect much from the southeast side. It's a shit hole. 

Most underrated part of the city and it’s not close. Most parts of it aren’t dangerous, it’s surprisingly hilly and has a few nice older neighborhoods. Southside lions park has some nice views. 

16 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

Which parts are dangerous, please???

As far as SE side it’s really just certain parts of Denver heights, especially anything around Aransas Ave. Some people people consider that to be more true East side though. You’d have to be a massive pussy to be scared of Brooks City/Highland Hills/Pecan valley. Those areas are all more than fine. Brooks city/Mccreless has all the suburban chain restaurants you could want. There’s a movie theater at Mccreless too, and I think at city base (brooks) too.

There’s crime all over SA and bad stuff can happen to anyone. For the most part if you aren’t buying/selling drugs or out post 11pm you’ll be ok, in any part of town. If you are ever out late my #1 concern would be drunk drivers. Nothing is even a close 2nd.

• 2 weeks later...

Our annual return to San Antonio will be the beginning of December. We will be staying in Southtown. Last year we went to Maverick on Friday and Bliss on Saturday (chef’s tasting menu with wine pairing). We enjoyed both last year but are open to something new. Mixtli?

10 hours ago, Woland said:

Our annual return to San Antonio will be the beginning of December. We will be staying in Southtown. Last year we went to Maverick on Friday and Bliss on Saturday (chef’s tasting menu with wine pairing). We enjoyed both last year but are open to something new. Mixtli?

Heard good reviews about Colette at the Phipps.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, NIUHuskies said:

From a previous post, i recommend El Monte bbq. Sausage was good. Other meats tasty.

if he wants top tier BBQ he absolutely needs to hit up Reese Bros or 2M over any other place in SA. nobody else there is even close to those two.

calling in @Patricio Swayze for a Reese Bros tray photo lol

Edited by NoName
  • Like 2

Can’t upload pics while on company wifi I guess. But yes, I think Reese Bros is the best I have had in SA. And that isn’t knocking 2M, which is also fantastic. Unless something has changed in the last couple of months since I was last there, the line at Reese, at least on Fridays, is much more manageable than 2M.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, NoName said:

if he wants top tier BBQ he absolutely needs to hit up Reese Bros or 2M over any other place in SA. nobody else there is even close to those two.

calling in @Patricio Swayze for a Reese Bros tray photo lol

34 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Can’t upload pics while on company wifi I guess. But yes, I think Reese Bros is the best I have had in SA. And that isn’t knocking 2M, which is also fantastic. Unless something has changed in the last couple of months since I was last there, the line at Reese, at least on Fridays, is much more manageable than 2M.

i was having issues finding the photo but here is my most recent tray.
image.png.3f86eae341a2188d5c6ed6ed1cac9bc4.png

depending on where yall are staying @Woland, is it's also a 5 min drive with traffic to Reese Bros from Southtown vs 15 to 2M.

the queso fundito sausage is awesome. the brisket is awesome. id skip the pulled pork and get ribs or turkey next time.

the poblano mac is my favorite side in BBQ at the moment. potato salad is very good even for BBQ joints.

can't recommend it enough.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

We picked up Two Bros after Oktoberfest on Saturday. Really disappointed. It’s usually consistent and decent but not great and with the lack of really good options, it’s usually the best for an open all day spot. Saturday was just not it. Ribs were over cooked. Brisket had a layer of fat that was un-rendered  on the top of each slice. Sausage casing wasn’t snappy. 

Their sides were great as usual. They “bro dip” or whatever it’s called is incredible everytime also.

Pinkerton's is pretty fucking good too. It's those three in SA (Reese, 2M, Pinkertons), and then everybody else.

Although I will say that Curry Boys is fantastic. There's no way to consider it BBQ in the traditional sense, but it is outstanding. I'm usually very deeply philosophically opposed to any sort of bastardization of Q, but I can't recommend it enough. That shit is delicious.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Pinkerton's is pretty fucking good too. It's those three in SA (Reese, 2M, Pinkertons), and then everybody else.

Although I will say that Curry Boys is fantastic. There's no way to consider it BBQ in the traditional sense, but it is outstanding. I'm usually very deeply philosophically opposed to any sort of bastardization of Q, but I can't recommend it enough. That shit is delicious.

I’ve been really happy with my few trips to Pinkertons in SA. And in Houston. It might not be Franklin’s but it deserves recognition and is very high level.

Also it’s got a great bar.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1

I stopped here on Friday because I was close to the area. It is in same parking lot as Maars Pizza.

Didn’t go with the burrito but did go with the brisket grilled cheese. It was very solid but also was $20.

Menu seems to be full of things I would consider specials and not very many staples. Can’t a man get a basic brisket sammmich for lunch these days ?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CxQcLSOOaD4/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

eb57cbd6e948da303cf879447dd6d3af.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

I stopped here on Friday because I was close to the area. It is in same parking lot as Maars Pizza.

Didn’t go with the burrito but did go with the brisket grilled cheese. It was very solid but also was $20.

Menu seems to be full of things I would consider specials and not very many staples. Can’t a man get a basic brisket sammmich for lunch these days ?

I know exactly where that is. I’ve heard pretty good things.

Are beef ribs really $34 now? I think last time I got one at Pinkertons it was only like $28 but maybe I’m wrong. That just seems crazy.

I have been seeing this place pop up on Instagram for almost a year now. I was telling deadshank I almost asked if any of you Alamo city folks had tried it. The reviews are pretty good. Some of the pictures on google aren’t that appealing, but on IG that rib burrito looks great.

19 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I know exactly where that is. I’ve heard pretty good things.

Are beef ribs really $34 now? I think last time I got one at Pinkertons it was only like $28 but maybe I’m wrong. That just seems crazy.

The last one I got at Pinkertons, I think I had to take out a second mortgage to pay for it. It's something like $30/lb (not per rib), and usually what, around 2.5 lbs? And most of that weight is the rib and not the meat.

• Haha 1