2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

once again (just like last night), the entire country gets to see what we see every day.  these guys have fun and love each other.

bregs needs to be the next guy we lock down.  and i wouldn't mind tacking on another couple years to verlander's deal, even if we overpay.  this team has a different attitude with him around.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Heard this on hou sports radio today :

correa is becoming the player that is coming up short on reaching his potential 

bregman is becoming the player that is exceeding his potential 

A 23 year old that had a great year last year and has been injured a good bit this year. I would assume it’s from 610 since none have those guys have watched anything but a bad Texans team since they have been with the station.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2018 at 7:57 PM, thetruth said:

Check Joe Musgrove's Instagram. His video is up of him rooting for Bregman in the Derby. Joe is a good dude, and it shows how infectious Bregman's personality actually is. 

HG was right, this team loves each other, even with Cole being here half a season and Verlander for less than a year. So MFin' fun to watch. 

Appropriate user name is appropriate. 

I’ve kept following Joe on social media, he seems like a great dude. 

It is more so a "i'm gonna cover my ass" move and not overwork another teams guy.  Same with Roberts.  Stripling was out there getting hammered because Roberts wasn't about to put someone elses team in jeopardy.  They both did the right thing.  

Our boy is going to be a movie star...

https://theathletic.com/435615/2018/07/17/posnanski-how-do-you-sum-up-the-greatest-hitter-who-ever-lived/

Spoiler

PBS’ American Masters series is one of the treasures of American television. It has been going for more than 30 years (and has won 28 Emmys). There have been more than 250 American masters celebrated and studied through intimate documentaries, from Johnny Carson to Arthur Miller, Jimi Hendrix to Georgia O’Keefe, Julia Child to James Dean and Norman Rockwell to John Lennon, who was certainly a master and just as certainly not American.

On Monday, July 23, for the first time, American Masters will feature a male athlete.

That seems odd, no? In three decades it has not found one male athlete worthy of being called an American Master? (To be fair, there have been two women athletes profiles: Billie Jean King and Althea Gibson). It seems absurdly overdue.

But say this: When the people behind the show finally picked an American Master male athlete, they picked the right one: You will love Nick Davis’ documentary: Ted Williams. “The Greatest Hitter Who Ever Lived.”

Davis caught two amazing breaks during the filming of the documentary, two cool things that should make it even more joyous to watch. The first happened when he was looking for someone to play Ted Williams in the close-up recreations that he had in mind. His thought was that even though there was great footage of Williams, his hitting genius demanded an effort to get just a little bit closer. He intended to film a hitter with one of those incredible cameras that almost put you inside the swing. And he thought that he would ask the Dodgers’ Corey Seager.

“My thought was Seager is the All-American hitter, right?” he says. “I mean, when you think of classic left-handed hitters, doesn’t Corey Seager come to mind?”

One problem: He went to watch Seager video and realized that, classic as it might be, Corey Seager’s swing looks absolutely nothing at all like that of Ted Williams. In truth, nobody looks like Williams, not even Williams disciples like Cincinnati’s Joey Votto. Ted Williams was a string bean, and his swing so recognizable, and Davis began to worry that no one would fit the bill.

And then he was told about a kid who was in Class AA who some were saying bore a resemblance to The Splendid Splinter. He was tall and lanky and when Davis first saw him swing a bat, he knew immediately: He was perfect.

One problem: What kid needs to have the burden of being compared to Ted Williams before he even gets to the big leagues? Davis was told he could use the kid, but he had to keep it a secret. He couldn’t put his name in the credits. He couldn’t tell anyone. Davis agreed.

And then comes the big finish: During spring training, this kid came to Astros camp. And even though nobody knew about the movie and nobody knew his role in it, everyone started calling the kid, “Ted.” It was that obvious.

“He’s going to go by ‘Ted’ from here on out,” Astros manager A.J. Hinch said. “They got him a nice nameplate.”

The nice nameplate was a black marker that crossed out his real name, Kyle Tucker, and replaced it with, “TED.”

So, yeah, now Davis can tell everyone that it’s Kyle Tucker in the movie.

Edited by WBT
link
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

A 23 year old that had a great year last year and has been injured a good bit this year. I would assume it’s from 610 since none have those guys have watched anything but a bad Texans team since they have been with the station.

Correa has missed significant time in 3 of the 4 years due to injury. To play it off as bad sports radio talk is disingenuous.

in rewatching all the highlights today, the only real shame is that altuve (like all the starters) was likely down in the clubhouse and the press room.  typically all the starters are required to go give their press time at the table while the game is still happening, otherwise it would take all night.  he was noticeably absent during the celebration, since he's usually the first guy out of the dugout for homers.

not really sure where verlander was either, they never even showed him on fox (they showed cole a few times).  obviously verlander called judge's homer, but i didn't see him after that.

22 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

in rewatching all the highlights today, the only real shame is that altuve (like all the starters) was likely down in the clubhouse and the press room.  typically all the starters are required to go give their press time at the table while the game is still happening, otherwise it would take all night.  he was noticeably absent during the celebration, since he's usually the first guy out of the dugout for homers.

not really sure where verlander was either, they never even showed him on fox (they showed cole a few times).  obviously verlander called judge's homer, but i didn't see him after that.

I read or saw where some of the guys show up for the first few innings and then get out of town after their appearance was made. 

If they were a starter, they play their innings and then they can leave.

I presume JV left pretty early on since he wasn't available to pitch anyway.

i think ramos is ours if we put a decent package together.  honestly i would get mccann, verlander, dk, and strom in a room with hinch and luhnow and see what they think.  adding a starting catcher in july to a staff like this isn't so simple, and stassi is serviceable.  if springer wakes up and correa is healthy, our offense is just fine.

as for britton, when dealing with the orioles, i think all bets are off.

Wilson Ramos Placed On DL, Expected To Be Sidelined Beyond Non-Waiver Trade Deadline

By Steve Adams | July 18, 2018 at 3:08pm CDT

The Rays placed catcher Wilson Ramos on the disabled list due to a hamstring strain today, as has been expected. However, while some might’ve hoped that Ramos would be able to return to action prior to the non-waiver trade deadline on July 31, that won’t be the case, it seems. Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times tweets that Ramos is likely to miss “extended time” and  is expected to be on the disabled list beyond July 31.

well that's not helpful.

2 hours ago, Pablo said:

I was telling my friend last night, if we had Edgar Diaz, we'd be unstoppable.

Of course, right after that, he gives up the 2 run bomb.  

We're playing chess here, not checkers. Just part of our front office's master plan to drive the asking price down. 

6 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So whats the chances of us getting Ramos and Britton? I would love to add Ramos to this lineup, with a legit closer too and no one is beating us in a 7 game series.

Britton might be had this year, as the Orioles have traded Machado. Want no part of Ramos and his penchant of grounding into double plays. Go get an OF bat.

To be fair, a bunch of fans have been pretty off and on about CC for awhile.

I’m obviously glad we’ve had him to this point, as we needed everything he brought to the table in the title run. When he’s on, he’s a true stud. I don’t think anyone has questioned his talent, only his durability for the remainder of the current title window.

Would CC now would be a far more refined hitter had he not been injured so often? I don't think anyone can really know. But I don’t feel he’s a way better offensive player now than when he came up. To me, that factors into visions of his future performance, whether it’s all in Houston or not. 

Edited by Gut Wagon