2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

i forgot to post this, but was i the only one pissed at marwin swinging at ball 4 and hitting a foul (on the ball that was actually a double)?

No.  When it first left the bat I was sure it would be a foul ball and was thinking, why the hell did he swing at ball four?  Then it dropped in and I was happy.  Real happy.

holy shit - just saw bregman on mlbn interview on the field after the game...

"i have a question - does tiger woods tee off at 8am when he's trying to win the masters?  does floyd mayweather fight the first fight of the night?  or is it the main event?  so the stros need to be playing primetime television, and we're looking forward to that in the alcs."

yeah, it's definitely been a topic for these guys internally.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

holy shit - just saw bregman on mlbn interview on the field after the game...

"i have a question - does tiger woods tee off at 8am when he's trying to win the masters?  does floyd mayweather fight the first fight of the night?  or is it the main event?  so the stros need to be playing primetime television, and we're looking forward to that in the alcs."

yeah, it's definitely been a topic for these guys internally.

Outstanding.

Apparently we play well when we're feeling disrespected.  So I look forward to the media slobbering over whichever team is a lock to beat us in the ALCS.

i forgot to post this, but was i the only one pissed at marwin swinging at ball 4 and hitting a foul (on the ball that was actually a double)?

I thought the same thing... and then quickly realized where the LF’er was tracking and immediately thought “holy shit!” and had flashbacks to that ball El Oso Blanco took out in Oakland last year.

robert flores just said mchugh touched 95 on the gun today.

i'm coming around to the conclusion that, as a staff, we're not much fun to bat against.

Ok, I’m glad I’m not the only one surprised by that.

I saw the pitcher when he hit 95 and immediately texted a buddy something to the effect of “I didn’t realize he could get it to mid 90s”

McHugh did admit in postgame he was overthrowing, but damn, if that’s the result, he needs to do that every game.

I was nervous with him coming in trying to keep the deficit at 1 run after the month he had in September.

7 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i'm coming around to the conclusion that, as a staff, we're not much fun to bat against.

Also I feel like we held back a bit in the regular season, and we still won 100+ games. They were saving their peak ability  for the playoffs and we’re seeing that now. That added adrenaline of playoff baseball 

Edited by perfectchaos007

26 minutes ago, WBT said:

Cleveland had 13 hits for the series

Fewest Hits in Division Series, 1995-2018

Team Year H Opponent
Reds 2010 11 Phillies
Rangers 1998 13 Yankees
Dodgers 1996 14 Braves
Rangers 1999 14 Yankees
Rockies 2018 14 Brewers

I can't believe some of our pathetic efforts against the Braves back in the day were not worse.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

I saw that on the gamecast, and was wondering, "since when does McHugh throw 95?" Glad to see it wasn't just me.

Guy was filthy today.

12 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

mchugh did admit in postgame he was overthrowing, but damn, if that’s the result, he needs to do that every game.

I was nervous with him coming in trying to keep the deficit at 1 run after the month he had in September.

so "throw harder" doesn't just work for cfm?

3 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Funny how the Astros always get a bunch of "injuries" in August and the same guys usually come back pretty much fine (except Correa this year).  Maybe there is something to the idea that they are using the month to give guys days off.

yeah, because nobody saw the injuries happen to Springer, Altuve, or McCullers getting pulled early in a game.

They just write a script and roll with it.  Let's hope it has a happy ending!!!

Astros have homered in 12 straight playoff games, tying the AL record owned by the Orioles (1983-1997 to play 12 games tho). One behind the Major league record of 13 straight owned by the Astros from 2001-2004

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24932803/george-springer-homers-help-houston-astros-tie-al-record-consecutive-playoff-games-hr

• Like 1

I'm trying to decide who I'd rather face in the ALCS.  Looking at their team stats, I honestly think it doesn't matter.  After Severino, none of the Yankee starters scare me at all.  And the Red Sox have a potent 1-2 in Sale and Price, except that Price is a nuclear meltdown in playoff games.

It don't make a shit?

Edited by TexArcher

6 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I'm trying to decide who I'd rather face in the ALCS.  Looking at their team stats, I honestly think it doesn't matter.  After Severino, none of the Yankee starters scare me at all.  And the Red Sox have a potent 1-2 in Sale and Price, except that Price is a nuclear meltdown in playoff games.

It don't make a shit?

Yankees, take the home field

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Playoffs add 2 mph to everyone’s fastball and 1’ of break on every breaking ball

Moose out front should have told us.

This Bauer guy never shuts up...

5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

It don't make a shit?

i think the yankees are a slightly tougher matchup for us, because their bullpen is better, and i can see guys like happ giving us trouble.  also because sale may not be completely right or able to go deep into games.  obviously i would like us to have homefield, which only happens against the yankees, so i think it's pretty even in that regard.

tldr - it don't make a shit.

11 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

It don't make a shit?

it don't make a shit

10 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

It don't make a shit?

I dont think it matters.  I prefer the Yankees only bc home field, bigger national interest, and they strike out a lot and we have a lot of strikeout pitchers 

• Like 1