2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

Good stuff on Whitley's AFL start last night.

The Astros, one of the most analytics-driven organizations in the game, have used video, TrackMan and a host of other data to help their prized prospect fine-tune his pitches into their current, dastardly forms.

"There’s so much, but the way that they utilize TrackMan is very good and I’d say that has helped me a ton with my pitch development,” Whitley said. "And I am very, very fortunate to be a part of the Astros’ organization.”

Specifically, he’s used the technology to help maintain the consistency in the shapes of each of his pitches. The data, which shows how his measurements in a variety of categories vary from start to start, are constantly available to utilize as part of his development of the course of a season. 

His changeup, he says, spins at an average rate of 2,200-2,300 revolutions per minute. His curveball, on the other hand, has peaked at better than 3,000 rpm. 

Of his four pitches, his cutter has made the most progress over the last year. The shape has stayed roughly the same, but he’s done a better job locating the pitch. 

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/forrest-whitley-dominates-in-first-afl-start/

97 mph fastball with a 3,000 RPM curveball, and he also has a low 90s cutter.

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Fucking bullshit that the 100+ win defending champs could potentially play two entire rounds of playoffs and never host a goddamn night game.

Missed my edit window, but I just researched a bit and the 2016 NLCS had a game start at 11pm EST on a Thursday https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/LAN/LAN201610200.shtml

Edited by Chuckie Finster

MLB is not going to have an LCS playoff game start at 10pm Eastern on a weeknight.

ALCS games 3 and 4 will be ~4pm central

You might be right about the late games but I disagree that both ALCS games 3 and 4 will be in the afternoon. At a minimum, the NLCS will have 1 afternoon game in LA.

13 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Fucking bullshit that the 100+ win defending champs could potentially play two entire rounds of playoffs and never host a goddamn night game.

Blame the Dodgers.  In the games last year, if the Astros/Yankees were playing the same day as Dodgers, games were at 4pm Central time.  Prob same this season

Good stuff on Whitley's AFL start last night.
The Astros, one of the most analytics-driven organizations in the game, have used video, TrackMan and a host of other data to help their prized prospect fine-tune his pitches into their current, dastardly forms.

"There’s so much, but the way that they utilize TrackMan is very good and I’d say that has helped me a ton with my pitch development,” Whitley said. "And I am very, very fortunate to be a part of the Astros’ organization.”

Specifically, he’s used the technology to help maintain the consistency in the shapes of each of his pitches. The data, which shows how his measurements in a variety of categories vary from start to start, are constantly available to utilize as part of his development of the course of a season. 

His changeup, he says, spins at an average rate of 2,200-2,300 revolutions per minute. His curveball, on the other hand, has peaked at better than 3,000 rpm. 

Of his four pitches, his cutter has made the most progress over the last year. The shape has stayed roughly the same, but he’s done a better job locating the pitch. 
https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/forrest-whitley-dominates-in-first-afl-start/
97 mph fastball with a 3,000 RPM curveball, and he also has a low 90s cutter.

Good to see the ball doctoring has made it’s way to our lower levels.

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

If it fires them up, I'm all for it. Play the games at 6AM if it pisses them off so much they go out and murder their opponents. 

30 minutes ago, AtticusFinch said:

Not surprised.  We dont seem to hit Price hard although historically he is a poor post season pitcher.  I hope he gets crushed Sunday

didn't they move Price to the bullpen for the playoffs? thought I read that somewhere.

now I see they are starting him in Game 2. Interesting.

Edited by The Dog

20 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

did someone say the red sox are 0-10 in games price has started in the postseason?  

Holy shit, just looked it up.  Not just Red Sox, but Rays, Tigers, and Blue Jays (completely forgot he ever played for them.)  No team has ever won a postseason game started by David Price.  0-10.  That's incredible.

36 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

did someone say the red sox are 0-10 in games price has started in the postseason?  

Not just with the sox.  Price has started 10 playoff games in his career and his teams have lost all 10.  That includes a game he started and pitched 8 innings and lost 2-1. 

He's had some good relief outings in wins.  He was excellent way back in his first series with the Rays when they used him as a closer.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=priceda01&t=p&post=1

He also pitched a CG win, giving up 2 runs, in a tie-breaker for the wild card in 2013.  It officially was game 163 though and not a playoff game:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TEX/TEX201309300.shtml

Edited by WBT