2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

11 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

I was thinking the same thing, but as an Astros fan, its hard to be completely objective.  He seems like a player I would still like if he was on another team though.  Gurriel is a bigger heel, IMO, but his numbers aren't good enough to make it matter.  Even he is usually just having fun though.

Never have thought of La Pina as a heel.  Has he ever started shit with anyone on other teams?

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

Never have thought of La Pina as a heel.  Has he ever started shit with anyone on other teams?

Not aware of anything other than the “chinito” incident.   But he always seems to have a smirk on his face at the plate.  There’s just something about the way he carries himself.   I love that he is an Astro, but I don’t think I would like him if he was on another team.  

Just now, Guadaloopy said:

Not aware of anything other than the “chinito” incident.   But he always seems to have a smirk on his face at the plate.  There’s just something about the way he carries himself.   I love that he is an Astro, but I don’t think I would like him if he was on another team.  

Maybe it would bother me on another team, but dude always seems into the game and team oriented to me.  Plays multiple positions... Crushes the ball with RISP... and let’s people jack with the hair after bombs.

Like TexArcher said, there are way more obvious douchers in the league.

2 hours ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

Brisbee is one of my favorite baseball writers and a great twitter follow. SF Giants homer, but genuinely funny dude.

His column during the World Series last year explaining the Astros, Harvey, and the city of Houston and their place in it was one of the most accurate depictions of Houston and its “culture?” that I’ve ever read from someone not from Texas. 

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/10/9/16369852/2017-houston-astros-mlb-playoffs-hurricane-harvey

Who else is old enough to have loathed Pete Rose, Willie Montanez and half the 1986 Mets squad (especially Dykstra, Carter and Strawberry)? Each of those guys was, in his own way, thoroughly unlikable. They weren't the only ones, but in my book they all could take turns leading the villain parade from that era. Gurriel can't hold a candle to them. Maybe Bregman can, but I think a guy that good you have to let strut some.     

to whomever hasn't read 'astroball', you have 4 days to get on that shit.

they do mini-pieces on pretty much every player (and front office guy) on the team, and the stuff on bregman is pretty awesome.  they essentially compare what makes some of the undersized guys (like bregs and altuve) great, and why some with natural size and talent, well, not as great, at least in high pressure situations. 

not to take anything away from the read, but the theory is that when you're undersized your whole life - every tryout, every high school game, every pitch your whole baseball life - has been game 7 of the world series.  you're conditioned for it.  so when game 7 actually happens, you're ready.  whereas those who are 6'3" 215 with a rocket arm, you've been handed everything, and it's all come too easy.  these are the types of guys who have a tendency to fold in the big moment.  (a lot of the book deals with analytics, and more importantly, how to use the research.  since there isn't a way to quantify "heart", this was their theory).

when we drafted bregman, people said he had dustin pedroia upside, and i was ok with that, though not stoked.  then i read a story that the usa team he was on voted for team captain (basically voted for team mvp) and every single player voted for bregs.  that team included dansby swanson, who went #1 in bregman's draft.  then i knew he might be special.  now it seems like he's closer to biggio's trajectory, if not (gasp), on pace to exceed it.

i really like carlos correa, and hope he gets his shit together.  i also would love to see him an astro for life, blah blah.  but behind altuve, i think it's clear the guy they need to get figured it out is alex bregman.  he's from new mexico (right?), he went to lsu.  he's only known astros baseball.  he plays with a chip that makes me think the last place he would want to go play is ny/la/boston.  i don't know how important money is, but anyone who signs a deal like these guys will never be able to spend most of it anyway, so hopefully a small hometown discount is a possibility.

and for those wondering, he's locked up thru 2022.

• Like 1

I took that Bregman article as a huge compliment.  They aren't calling him the biggest/only douchebag in the league, nor a cheater, nor a criminal.  What they are saying, and I agree, is that it's incredibly rare for someone who plays the game as "correctly" as Bregman to have such a brash personality.  They're saying he is fun to root against because deep down, everyone knows he's a badass.  The key to a good villain isn't hatred, it's respect, and I think that's what sets Bregman apart.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

What roster change to you make for the 7 game series ?

I don’t have access to the data the Astros decision science guys have, so I trust the decisions they make.  

That said, I wouldn’t be surprised to see either Smith or Rondon in Harris’ spot.   Also, I wouldn’t be shocked to see Evan Gattis sit out the rest of the playoffs in favor of another pitcher, again, either Smith or Rondon.  

46 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Who else is old enough to have loathed Pete Rose, Willie Montanez and half the 1986 Mets squad (especially Dykstra, Carter and Strawberry)? Each of those guys was, in his own way, thoroughly unlikable. They weren't the only ones, but in my book they all could take turns leading the villain parade from that era. Gurriel can't hold a candle to them. Maybe Bregman can, but I think a guy that good you have to let strut some.     

I’ll see your Pete Rose and raise you a Steve Garvey.  Fuck that mother fucker to this day.

if the reason for keeping harris was the lefties (and switchies) on cleveland, then there's no reason for him to be on the alcs roster over smith or rondon.  i'd like to see us keep both of them.  kemp is the man, and was fantastic yesterday, but it's tough to keep him, marisnick, and straw, then turn around and keep gattis as well.  if white is your primary dh, and you can insert kemp in to bat 9th like yesterday, you don't need gattis (although he's your emergency catcher).

it's still crazy to me the quality of guys we have 26th-32nd.  guys that not only would be key pieces for 20 other teams, but would almost certainly make any other playoff roster.

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

it's still crazy to me the quality of guys we have 26th-32nd.  guys that not only would be key pieces for 20 other teams, but would almost certainly make any other playoff roster.

It really is.  Then on top of that we still have guys that we hoped would be in the playoff mix that didn't perform or weren't ready yet like Fisher, Ted, and Whitley.  It's going to be fun for a long time.

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

It really is.  Then on top of that we still have guys that we hoped would be in the playoff mix that didn't perform or weren't ready yet like Fisher, Ted, and Whitley.  It's going to be fun for a long time.

and i can only assume the guys we have in charge of the draft and int'l signings will continue to do an ok job.  the extra stl picks didn't hurt either.

pretty crazy we had playoff success and even went to the world series during a 8-10 year stretch where we drafted like shit and didn't even sign most of the guys we picked.

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

He has the male equivalent of resting bitch face.  Some guys just look like assholes whether they are or not.  He's one of them.

27 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Cheating Wally Backman running out of the bath path to avoid the tag.

He certainly belongs on the list. FWIW, I never liked Gooden or Hernandez or Orozco, either. 

As for the poster who said 1986 against the Mets was the first devastation in memory, that only tells me you weren’t around in ‘80. Even more of a playoff disaster, though that might seem impossible. 

37 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yes!  In the face!

41 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Really can't be said enough. First time I remember being truly devastated by the result of sporting event. 

i went to game 6.  if memory serves, i had to be ripped out of school because of the early start time (some things never change).  we had decent seats, but because of the back and forth and extra innings, many people had left.  and by the time kevin bass struck out, we had moved down behind homeplate.  if i close my eyes, i can still see jesse orosco throwing his glove up in the air (a move i believe he repeated in the world series).  i was ten, and i cried.  i couldn't handle the emotional swings of that game, and still barely can.

what's crazy to me is that we shouldn't have had the homefield advantage in that series, but for some reason we did.  i don't know if it was a big deal then, but no way that shit would fly today. 

Houston had home field because of an Oilers/Bears game scheduled in the dome the same day as one of the games that should have been an Astros home game.

Crazy to think about.

Oakland is the only team that could have such a potential conflict today?

And yes, per baseball reference was a Day game.

Game 7 of the ALCS (California at Boston) was the same day and started at 7:30 Central that night.

speaking of Astroball--and draft picks acquired from St. Louis-- figured I might as well post this with the downtime before ALCS Game 1.
Ben Reiter article with Chris Correa (aka federal inmate 04550-479) in this week’s SI:
What Happened to the Astros Hacker?:
https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/10/04/chris-correa-houston-astros-hacker-former-cardinals-scouting-director-exclusive-interview

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

As for the poster who said 1986 against the Mets was the first devastation in memory, that only tells me you weren’t around in ‘80. Even more of a playoff disaster, though that might seem impossible. 

yep. I was born in 1980 about the same the time Cesar Cedeno hit a grand slam against the Cardinals. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

Have times been announced for games 1 and 2 of the ALCS yet? I know the location depends on who wins between Boston/NY but the times should be pretty easy regardless right?

Alex Bregman announced them on the field after we closed out the Indians

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

Have times been announced for games 1 and 2 of the ALCS yet? I know the location depends on who wins between Boston/NY but the times should be pretty easy regardless right?

i don't believe we have times yet, but nlcs is fri/sat so only sat overlaps.  you can bet sunday will be around 7pm eastern.  since those games are in milwaukee, it's anybody's guess which is which on that saturday (since it could be in boston or houston).  last year we played pretty early on saturday (was that game 2) and it was on during ou.

2 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

He certainly belongs on the list. FWIW, I never liked Gooden or Hernandez or Orozco, either. 

I hated them all.  Dont leave off Carter and his punchable perm face.  

• Like 1

The Astros Gave the Indians an All-Time Beating

By: Jeff Sullivan

We know half of the ALCS, as the Astros on Monday wrapped up a sweep of the Indians. And the way I see it, there are two ways you can read the brief series that was.

In one sense, the series was closer than it seems. Game 1 was tight until the bottom of the seventh. It was only then the Astros managed to pull away. Game 2 was decided by only two runs, and the Indians actually led into the bottom of the sixth. The contest turned on a Marwin Gonzalez double off Andrew Miller. And then even though Game 3 was a blowout, the Indians led into the top of the seventh. That catastrophic inning turned in part on an excuse-me ground-ball single. It turned in part on a throwing error on a would-be double play. It turned in part on a double well out of the zone that Marwin Gonzalez thought he fouled off. The score got out of hand, and it got there fast, but the Indians had it where they wanted it to be. It all unraveled in the last third of the game.

So based on one reading, the Indians could start, but they just couldn’t finish. Through the first six innings, they were outscored 7-5. Over the final three innings, they were outscored 14-1. It looks very bad, but it’s not like they were all laughers. At some point, the Indians were very much in every game.

Based on another, different reading, the Indians got destroyed. They didn’t even belong on the same baseball field. The Astros coasted to maybe the most lopsided series win in history.

Over three games, the Astros collected three wins, while the Indians collected zero. The Astros scored 21 runs, while the Indians scored six. The Astros knocked 34 hits, while the Indians knocked 13. The Astros clobbered 14 hits for extra bases, while the Indians clobbered three.

Baseball Reference tells me there have been 308 completed playoff series on record. That means there have been 616 team-series, or team-specific series performances. Obviously, even the longest playoff series is short, and the shortest playoff series is finished before you even know what happened, but the playoffs are everyone’s goal. Playoff games are the games that matter the most. They’re the games for which each team is supposedly best prepared. We’d never analyze a series in the regular season, and all small-sample caveats still matter, but I want to show you some tables. I want to show you what the Astros just did. This was a systematic dismantling.

Remember: 308 completed series. The Astros just outscored the Indians by 15 runs, or 5 runs per game. Here are the most lopsided series of all time, in run differential per game.

Playoff Series Run Differential
Team 1 Team 2 Year Series Team 1 R Team 2 R R Diff/G
Orioles Twins 1970 LCS 27 10 5.67
Yankees Athletics 1981 LCS 20 4 5.33
Astros Indians 2018 LDS 21 6 5.00
Red Sox Angels 2007 LDS 19 4 5.00
White Sox Red Sox 2005 LDS 24 9 5.00
Reds Dodgers 1995 LDS 22 7 5.00
Red Sox Rockies 2007 WS 29 10 4.75
Dodgers Cubs 2008 LDS 20 6 4.67
Cardinals Diamondbacks 2002 LDS 20 6 4.67
Cardinals Braves 2000 LDS 24 10 4.67
Braves Astros 1997 LDS 19 5 4.67
SOURCE: Baseball-Reference

Impressive. It took some time in each showdown for the Astros to take control, but they seized control in all three games, and they hardly gave the Indians a chance. The winner isn’t determined by what the score is in the fifth or the sixth. The winner is determined by what the score is at the end. The Astros scored a lot. The Indians scored a little.

Runs are one measure. I’m going to show you four more. They’re all simple, and they’re all essentially components. In this next table, let’s look at the biggest-ever differences in team batting average.

Playoff Series Average Differential
Team 1 Team 2 Year Series Team 1 BA Team 2 BA BA Diff
Astros Indians 2018 LDS 0.327 0.144 0.183
Cardinals Braves 1982 LCS 0.330 0.169 0.161
Orioles Twins 1969 LCS 0.293 0.155 0.138
Tigers Yankees 2012 LCS 0.291 0.157 0.134
Cardinals Diamondbacks 2002 LDS 0.314 0.184 0.130
Brewers Rockies 2018 LDS 0.272 0.146 0.126
Red Sox Athletics 1975 LCS 0.316 0.194 0.122
Dodgers Braves 2013 LDS 0.333 0.214 0.119
Athletics Red Sox 1990 LCS 0.299 0.183 0.116
Red Sox Rockies 2007 WS 0.333 0.218 0.115

Look at that! The Brewers just did a number on the Rockies. In their own series sweep, the Brewers out-hit the Rockies by 126 points. The Astros out-hit the Indians by 57 points more than that. The Astros had one of the better-hitting series ever. The Indians had one of the worst. Bad time for those to overlap.

Moving on, let’s check out the biggest-ever differences in team on-base percentage.

Playoff Series OBP Differential
Team 1 Team 2 Year Series Team 1 OBP Team 2 OBP OBP Diff
Astros Indians 2018 LDS 0.421 0.196 0.225
Athletics Red Sox 1990 LCS 0.399 0.216 0.183
Cardinals Braves 1982 LCS 0.395 0.219 0.176
Dodgers Cubs 2017 LCS 0.366 0.193 0.173
Brewers Rockies 2018 LDS 0.370 0.210 0.160
Dodgers Pirates 1974 LCS 0.401 0.252 0.149
Yankees Athletics 1981 LCS 0.415 0.267 0.148
Dodgers Diamondbacks 2017 LDS 0.397 0.252 0.145
Red Sox Cardinals 2004 WS 0.404 0.261 0.143
Phillies Reds 2010 LDS 0.301 0.160 0.141

It gets uglier. Not only did the Astros out-hit the Indians by a ton — they also drew 14 walks, while the Indians had to settle for six. There are the Brewers and Rockies again. You’re not wrong if you feel like the division-series round has been a little underwhelming. But while the Brewers-Rockies series was one-sided, it wasn’t this one-sided. At least they had that one game go to extras.

Moving on again, time for the biggest-ever differences in team slugging percentage.

Playoff Series Slugging Differential
Team 1 Team 2 Year Series Team 1 SLG Team 2 SLG SLG Diff
Astros Indians 2018 LDS 0.615 0.222 0.393
Dodgers Braves 2013 LDS 0.572 0.275 0.297
Yankees Rangers 1998 LDS 0.451 0.174 0.277
Diamondbacks Cubs 2007 LDS 0.532 0.255 0.277
Cardinals Braves 1982 LCS 0.437 0.180 0.257
Brewers Rockies 2018 LDS 0.437 0.188 0.249
Yankees Cardinals 1928 WS 0.530 0.282 0.248
Orioles Twins 1969 LCS 0.472 0.227 0.245
Red Sox Angels 2007 LDS 0.495 0.253 0.242
Reds Yankees 1976 WS 0.522 0.281 0.241

Good lord. I mean, good lord. Look at those numbers closely. Yes, what’s most evident is that this Astros-Indians series was the most lopsided slugging series ever. But it was also the most lopsided slugging series ever by almost a hundred points. BY ALMOST A HUNDRED POINTS. I don’t like to type in all caps, but I feel like in this instance it is more than warranted. And I’d linger here longer, too, if I weren’t getting to the final table of this post. To the most comical table of this post. What do you have when you have OBP and SLG? You have OPS. Here are the biggest-ever differences in team OPS.

Playoff Series OPS Differential
Team 1 Team 2 Year Series Team 1 OPS Team 2 OPS OPS Diff
Astros Indians 2018 LDS 1.037 0.418 0.619
Cardinals Braves 1982 LCS 0.832 0.399 0.433
Yankees Rangers 1998 LDS 0.764 0.351 0.413
Brewers Rockies 2018 LDS 0.807 0.397 0.410
Dodgers Braves 2013 LDS 0.962 0.564 0.398
Dodgers Cubs 2017 LCS 0.881 0.491 0.390
Dodgers Braves 2018 LDS 0.803 0.429 0.374
Athletics Giants 1989 WS 0.964 0.595 0.369
Orioles Twins 1969 LCS 0.832 0.463 0.369
Red Sox Angels 2007 LDS 0.864 0.503 0.361

This table is incredible to me. It’s incredible to me for two reasons. One, this is a top-ten table, and we have three entries from just this year’s division-series round. The Brewers-Rockies series was very lopsided. The Dodgers-Braves series was also very lopsided. Yet, two — the Astros-Indians series was spectacularly lopsided. Unfathomably lopsided, by this measure. No series before had ever seen such a big difference in team OBP. No series before had ever seen such a big difference in team slugging. And so, no series before had ever seen such a big difference in team OPS. The difference between the Astros’ OPS and the Indians’ OPS was greater than the Indians’ OPS by 201 points. The gap between first and second here is 186 points. It’s not like this has to *mean* anything; the Astros aren’t perfect, and the Indians don’t need to blow it all up. The Indians are still a solid baseball team, a team likely to return to the playoffs a year from now. But there’s no ignoring the reality of what took place. Soon, the Astros will turn their attention to whoever they’re going to face in the ALCS. For now, they have a little more time to reflect on and appreciate a total obliteration.

Both of the series in the National League were pretty one-sided. They didn’t generate much in the way of memorable moments. The Astros-Indians ALDS also didn’t generate many memorable moments, yet it all came together for a memorable outcome. That was a beatdown. That was a complete and utter beatdown, like nothing we’ve ever seen before. Not by the numbers. Not by almost literally all of the meaningful numbers.

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 1

I was at Game 1 in '86.  Scott outdueled Gooden.  Glenn Davis hit a bomb for the game's only run.  I knew right then that we were going to win the World Series.  I was 10 and addicted to baseball.  I played in two leagues and read The Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract and other similar titles every night.  I wanted that World Series more than anyone's ever wanted anything.

I can't talk about it anymore.

P.S. Fuck the '86 Celtics, too.

• Like 2

i shared my exit velocity joke for my buddy eric to tweet, and this site picked it up.
https://sportsnaut.com/2018/10/twitter-reacts-to-indians-fans-hitting-the-exits-early/
541 likes, bitches.

Went to high school w Eric, great guy....but just curious how he’s on with John and Lance every so often. He’s an actor. Granted he’s knowledgeable about baseball and the Astros, but just curious. Are they wanting the fans’ perspective? Just seems like a random sports radio guest. He’s entertaining though.

Here is the schedule from last year if you want to attempt an educated guess.
Flip the leagues for this year (i.e. ALCS is on TBS starting Saturday).
Times zones of this year’s participants is the same as last year (AL: Team in central time zone vs team in eastern time zone). NL: team in pacific time zone vs team in central time zone)

Idk if FOX or TBS have rights to pick time ahead of the another or if MLB decides, but guessing ALCS games 3 and 4 will be 4pm Central.

66b334a31d3af7e45bd68625ac61d4d8.jpg

While i believe we will beat either team....i have conceded that I am rooting for the Yankees.

I want Sat, Sun, Sat*, Sun* home games.

I'd be shocked if the Tues/Wed game isn't the early one since the NL will be in LA those days.

I want the party rocking every night at MMP....let the Yankees fucks get the day home games

14 minutes ago, Scraps said:

While i believe we will beat either team....i have conceded that I am rooting for the Yankees.

I want Sat, Sun, Sat*, Sun* home games.

I'd be shocked if the Tues/Wed game isn't the early one since the NL will be in LA those days.

I want the party rocking every night at MMP....let the Yankees fucks get the day home games

plus it would be fun to celebrate at yankee stadium this time.

• Like 1