2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

a lot to like the last 2 games...

on the road against a ~.500 team that definitely has some pop (last series in oakland was not fun).

offense didn't go crazy, but got key contributions from some unlikely guys - fisher, stassi, even marwin.  great to see altuve back in his doubles groove and bregs park one.

fell behind and came back both days.

solid, but unspectacular starts by lmj/cole (it was a good start by cole, but in comparison, you know, he battled, walked 3).  both got wins, which i know is important to some of you.

lock down bullpen had to pitch 4/3 innings respectively, almost everyone got in, and kenny g looks like the guy - no need for confusion in obvious save situations, even a day game after a night game.

bottom line is that we're gonna have some ridiculous starts from this staff, and some crazy 12+ run scoring games from our offense.  but if we're gonna win 100 and have a chance to go back to the series, we're gonna need to get better at winning games like this.

great job.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Fisher is hitting the ball hard. Need to play him every day IMO. Got to find out who he is.  

Got to give the kid credit. Tough for young guy getting started in the MLB, but starting to find his way when opportunity arrives. I think he has the Kirk Gibson starter package. Hope he keeps getting better. If he can, watch out. Look how much George struggled in his first 200 games. 

For the DH position. Gattis needs to get his head out of his ass before he gets optioned down.

Opening day rematch on Friday. Repeat of that game, not to mention Springer Dinger x4 vs Hamels, would be fine with me.

although I can’t see any way George sees a strike in that first AB. (He’s 3 for 5 with 3 HRs and a walk against Hamels in 6 PAs this year.)

so if our starting pitching staff were a single pitcher, they would be in the top 7 in era in the AL, or top 5 if you consider that 3 of our starters are already top 5. And also top 7 in the AL in K/9, and top 5 when you consider 2 of our pitchers are already in the top 5.

AL Team pitching, we're #1 in ERA, #1 in IP,  #1 in shutouts, #1 in SO, #1 in OBP, #1 in SLG, and thus #1 in OPS, #1 in WHIP, and surprisingly .07 behind the Yankees in K/9

On 5/8/2018 at 8:06 AM, Scraps said:

Well after last night we are now avg: .258(6th mlb, 5th AL) OBP: .335(tied for 3rd in MLB and tied for 1st in AL w Yankees) SLG: .408 (tied for 14th in MLB and 11th in AL)

I might as well update the offensive stats then:

avg .260 (4th mlb, 3rd AL) 

OBP .335 (3rd in MLB, 2nd AL)

SLG .414 (mlb 14th, 11th AL) 

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

Just like last season, there's nothing like a series with the A's to cure what ails you. 

I think Ford was saying on the radio towards the end of the game that we have won some absurd amount of games against them in the past 3 years, and that was like the 4th or 5th time we swept them since the start of the 2016 season. 

I remember when we joined the AL and they were our daddy.  We would lose pretty much every game to them.  Now they get bitch slapped by us on the reg and it is glorious.  

Edited by Scraps

45 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Not to get too nerdy, but what is our BABIP?  It seems like we have had a lot of hard hit balls right at outfielders, especially during the early part of last homestand.  Maybe I'm way off, but I feel like we've been a little unlucky.

56 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I remember when we joined the AL and they were our daddy.  We would lose pretty much every game to them.  Now they get bitch slapped by us on the reg and it is glorious.  

We turned it around against them by sweeping them in Oakland in April 2015.  That's also when I started to think we were legit that year and might be finally coming out of the dark times.  That included the game that Gattis won with a double on a pitch in his eyes.

https://www.mlb.com/video/must-c-gattis-doubles-in-9th/c-91094183?tid=11493214

Edited by WBT

7 minutes ago, WBT said:

We turned it around against them by sweeping them in Oakland in April 2015.  That's also when I started to think we were legit that year and might be finally coming out of the dark times.  That included the game that Gattis won with a double on a pitch in his eyes.

https://www.mlb.com/video/must-c-gattis-doubles-in-9th/c-91094183?tid=11493214

LOL, watch any Astros-A's highlight over the past 7 years and flip a coin as to which uniform Jed Lowrie will be wearing.  (Also, special shoutout to former Astros great Tyler Clippard making a cameo in an A's uniform).

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

I think Ford was saying on the radio towards the end of the game that we have won some absurd amount of games against them in the past 3 years, and that was like the 4th or 5th time we swept them since the start of the 2016 season. 

Maybe it’s the Scoscia Effect, but I dislike the Angels waaaaaaay more than the A’s.  I like the Oakland ballclub. Would love for them to earn a WC spot.

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

wOBA .328 (5th MLB, 4th AL)

wRC+ 108 (5th MLB, 4th AL)

If you look at our 39 games as a whole, we've got a damn potent offense. The problem is it's been feast or famine.

For reference, the average MLB team is scoring 4.5 runs/game this year. We've had:

• 16 games of 0 - 3 runs (below average)
  • 8 games of 4 - 5 runs (average)
  • 15 games of 6+ runs (above average)

To compare, the Yankees have had:

• 9 games of 0 - 3 runs
  • 10 games of 4 - 5 runs
  • 17 games of 6+ runs

Red Sox have had:

• 10 games of 0 - 3 runs
  • 8 games of 4 - 5 runs
  • 18 games of 6+ runs

Know that some of yall have seen h-town wiggy at houston sports events,  he suffered a unimaginable tragedy this week. His only son/child  (26 years old) passed away. No parent should have to go thru what he  is. Keep him/family in your thoughts, prayers. Go hug your kids,  tell them ya love them. Sorry to sad this thread up