2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

2 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

That's now 13 games of scoring 0 or 1 run out of 43 total games (30%).

Dates/Games for when the Astros reached their 13th game of 0/1 runs.  And also how many of those 13 games were shutouts.

2018 - game 43 - May 14th - # of shutouts 4

2017 - game 113  - Aug 9th - # of shutouts 4

2016 - game 82 - July 3rd - # of shutouts 4

2015 - game 61 - June 10th - # of shutouts 4

And let's go back to those 100 loss seasons too. Just for shits and giggles.

2014 - game 48 - May 22nd - # of shutouts 5

2013 - game 66 - June 11th - # of shutouts 7

2012 - game 59 - June 9th - # of shutouts 3

2011 - game 77 - June 24th - # of shutouts 3

Holy fuck this team is in a funk at the plate.  And somehow we're still in 1st place.   But please, finally, can we stop with the "it's too early, everything will be fine" bullshit?   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ldogg53 said:

Dates/Games for when the Astros reached their 13th game of 0/1 runs.  And also how many of those 13 games were shutouts.

holy living fuck.

44 minutes ago, Ldogg53 said:

2017 - game 113  - Aug 9th - # of shutouts 4

2016 - game 82 - July 3rd - # of shutouts 4

2015 - game 61 - June 10th - # of shutouts 4

Holy fuck this team is in a funk at the plate.  And somehow we're still in 1st place.   But please, finally, can we stop with the "it's too early, everything will be fine" bullshit?   

Let's be honest about this. Among the guys who've been having real problems with the stick so far:

Gattis finally appears to have some life left.

Marisnick really just can't hit. But at least he can play some D, so there's a reason to keep him around. Just don't bat him when it matters. 

Fisher not only can't hit, his defense is HIGHLY questionable. Last night he couldn't decide how to play Upton's ball to left, and then he made a throw that wouldn't cut it in Pony League. If this guy's only good as a PR, might as well see if Usain Bolt is doing anything.

Gonzalez I fear is reverting to his lackluster form at the plate. Still a handy guy to have around, but I'm not expecting much run production again.

Fisher is taking up a valuable roster spot; he does nothing that Jake can't do, and that's barely more than what I'm able to do. I go back and forth with the JD Davis/Tyler White/Tony Kemp and seeing if one of them can play leftfield competently, but then I base it on either of the two aforementioned and it's like, "well, they can't do much worse".

They should be a defensive replacement/pinch runner - at this point, we're starting to see what they really are and have they shown any consistent production throughout the year? And don't get me started with Marwin but at least he's serviceable for days off for guys throughout the season but really he's not an everyday player, IMO

Just now, UTexasFight said:

How does our lack of production 30% of the time compare to the rest of the league?
Astros an outlier or are 0/ 1 run games up across the league compared to other years?

based on previous years production, I would think it would HAVE to be a huge outlier in light of leading the league in run differential

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

How does our lack of production 30% of the time compare to the rest of the league?
Astros an outlier or are 0/ 1 run games up across the league compared to other years?

My post from last week. I assume the trend still holds...

On 5/10/2018 at 10:34 AM, scottonian said:

wOBA .328 (5th MLB, 4th AL)

wRC+ 108 (5th MLB, 4th AL)

If you look at our 39 games as a whole, we've got a damn potent offense. The problem is it's been feast or famine.

For reference, the average MLB team is scoring 4.5 runs/game this year. We've had:

• 16 games of 0 - 3 runs (below average)
  • 8 games of 4 - 5 runs (average)
  • 15 games of 6+ runs (above average)

To compare, the Yankees have had:

• 9 games of 0 - 3 runs
  • 10 games of 4 - 5 runs
  • 17 games of 6+ runs

Red Sox have had:

• 10 games of 0 - 3 runs
  • 8 games of 4 - 5 runs
  • 18 games of 6+ runs

2 hours ago, Mez2 said:

And don't get me started with Marwin but at least he's serviceable for days off for guys throughout the season but really he's not an everyday player, IMO

IMO, this is the problem. Marwin, Jake, and Fisher are useful in certain roles. But we are using them as every day players, which does little more than expose their weaknesses. We need a real every day left fielder. Unfortunately, I am not sure who would both be available at the deadline and be a significant upgrade over what we have. 

One name I could see being floated as a possible trade target is Adam Jones. He's a UFA after this season and the Orioles are terrible. But they are also notoriously difficult to deal with. Maybe a Britton-Jones package deal? Are either worth giving up significant prospects? I'm not so sure. But Jones would be a significant upgrade over our current platoon, and a healthy (big ?) Britton would be a great addition to the bullpen. 

The Liriano trade looked bad last season and has aged even worse. We could really use Teoscar right now.  

Spent a few minutes playing around with this this afternoon. I didn’t double check my work but believe this to all be correct

We’re the worst compared to the other 29 teams so far this season in # of 0 or 1 run games.

Perhaps more concerning, the 3 other teams likely to make the playoffs in the AL have been the best at avoiding low scoring games:

0c9e6e8eb83bc360eabc0cd1aa130811.jpg
  • Like 4

insanity.

i feel like the lynch-pin for this whole situation is derek fisher.  if fisher was playing well enough to be our every day lf, then marwin could be our swiss army knife and jake could be our late inning def replacement and pr - both vital to an organization trying to make a deep run, and keep our starters fresh and healthy.

the fact that he isn't playing well, means more marwin in the of, having to bat righty sometimes, and a weaker, disorganized bench.  

btw, it's not fisher specifically, it's not having an above average lf in general.  if marwin was playing like last year, it wouldn't matter.  if kyle tucker was tearing the cover off the ball, he could be the answer in a month.  but neither is happening.  corner outfielders needs to produce.  that said, we have 2b/ss production most teams dream of, but if they're not hot, it shows.

and i'll never understand how somewhat soft throwing lefties eat our lunch so consistently.  i get that we crush fastballs, but yeah, so does everyone.  we should crush lefties, but haven't in a long time.

separate question, new post.

i was at the game last night, sitting on the first base side, so was screened out on the calhoun play in the 9th.  i had been drinking, so maybe that was it - but first of all, it looked like it would drift out of play.  i missed seeing the catch.  wasn't even expecting a tag either, and the throw came out of nowhere.  was that a fucking ridiculous throw, or should spring not have even chanced it?

1 hour ago, Mez2 said:

I have a bad feeling about tonight, even though this is a pitcher we should absolutely light up, he'll probably go into the 6th with like 3 hits given up

Seriously. 

I'm out, I've seen this movie before. I know what's gonna happen. Fuck these guys